The Hideaway Theater - Page 63 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2797Likes

post #1861 of 2903 Old 04-27-2019, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2051 Post(s)
Liked: 2195
Finally got everything dialed in with my BOSS and other subs. I made some changes in my system over the last few weeks - went from MiniDSP balanced versions to the MiniDSP 2X4 HD and had to chase down some bad hum. I am using sub 1 output on my Onkyo 5509 Pre Pro to 3 MiniDSP HD’s. One runs my 4 S2’s, another 4 B1200 midbass modules and the last runs my BOSS platform (3 jbl’s) through a NX3000D. It took quite a while to time align and level match all of these subs. I was actually able to time align the BOSS platform with my other subs. I watched aquaman today as the first movie after everything was setup. It was overwhelming! I am going to need to turn the BOSS platform down some. I level matched it to my other subs via test tones but will need to give it another go tomorrow with real content as the test tones don’t really shake the platform too much.

One question. I still have sub 2 available on my 5509. I wonder if I can still use this even though when I ran Audyssey I told it i only had one sub? I would like to use it for my second couch when I add a boss to that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 2903 Old 04-27-2019, 09:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Continuing my search for suitable wiggly feet since it seems theres some trouble getting the originally suggested ones , I came up with something that continues the DIY spirit of the BOSS

https://www.alumilite.com/store/p/92...trength-2.aspx

Mold makers silicone . It says it has a shore hardness of 20-25a which I believe is the same as durometer but this isn't my field so I'm not certain . I think I have seen something similar in craft stores like Michaels , so this might be an option for those in places where shipping of the other options is too expensive .

Turn that $*!# UP!! --Beethoven
post #1863 of 2903 Old 04-27-2019, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2540 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
One question. I still have sub 2 available on my 5509. I wonder if I can still use this even though when I ran Audyssey I told it i only had one sub? I would like to use it for my second couch when I add a boss to that.
On my Denon, you must run aud with sub connected to sub out 2 for that output to be enabled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1864 of 2903 Old 04-27-2019, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
On my Denon, you must run aud with sub connected to sub out 2 for that output to be enabled.
Thanks - I am thinking it is the same way for the Onkyo but will check in the morning.
post #1865 of 2903 Old 04-27-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2540 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Attempting my dry run with a test subwoofer mounted directly to a chair.

Wowsers! Nearfield 18”s have NOTHING on this 10” Infinity mounted to the chair - as far as tactile response!!!

N O T H I N G!

Seriously...

I don't even have any rubber feet on these chairs! (I’ll need to experiment with that when they come back in stock.)
SERIOUSLY 😳. And that was WITHOUT the Hudson isolators 😳😳, WOW.
post #1866 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
@arcas 13 shore is measured with a durometer so shore and duro are used in the same way. That should work

@Archaea look forward to your shallow sub experiment and with isos
post #1867 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 04:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@chucks0 the only person who has been on a Boss and seat mount is @Archaea . You could wait for him to test or do the easy route first.
chucks0 likes this.
post #1868 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
SKHorn on big toe doesn't feel well.
The important thing is you kept from damaging the SKHorn.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #1869 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 04:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 115
You guys are killing me. Especially now @Archaea has had fantastic results with his install. This is how I was contemplating my own if I went a head. I'm presently using 'to great effect' a Quake 10b. However, this thread is making me itch, so I guess I will eventually have to scratch it!
trhought likes this.
post #1870 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 06:19 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
@chucks0 the only person who has been on a Boss and seat mount is @Archaea . You could wait for him to test or do the easy route first.
I'm guessing that the full BOSS platform will have the additional benefit of boosting TR from my regular subs as well similar to being on a suspended floor.
trhought and Gorilla Killa like this.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
post #1871 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Greetings BOSS fans! Been away for a few days traveling and had some company yesterday....officially kicked off the swim season this year! I love this time of the year. We also watched "Wrath of the Titans" afterwards. WOW....this movie has some serious ULF from beginning to end! If you haven't seen this movie yet with your new BOSS, don't deny yourself....give it another spin with your newfound ULF and TR. Truly impressive film straight from the disc.....no BEQ required!

Great to see all the new BOSS platforms and BOSS variants being born. Kinda bummed about the whole isolator availability thing but sounds like Hudson will be getting stock soon to facilitate more BOSS builds. As they say necessity is the mother of invention and it's great to see alternate isolator ideas bubbling to the surface now. Anxiously awaiting reports to see if any of the alternate iso materials work.

All the BOSS reviews being shared is truly inspiring. Still planning to post some of these testimonials in the first post to help those who are contemplating a BOSS of their own and don't want to read through the thread to find those golden nuggets. Will probably just quote some of those testimonials so everyone can go directly to the quotes in the thread and read further for additional context if desired.

Have a Happy and relaxing Sunday.....like a BOSS!
magicj1 likes this.
post #1872 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
@carp - if you have sound and I have sound, your platform big and my platform small, I would put the onus on others to prove they aren't getting sound. At this point I'm convinced all will have some sound. It's not a bad thing, but now you do have to make it play nice with all the other subs.

@harrisu - I used my router table as a giant weight in the middle of the platform while on horses plus the clamps when I glued them all together. I think I posted a picture of that several pages back - just use anything you can. The screws help to clamp the middle sections down too.

I am more than completely satisfied, my mild expectations were vastly exceeded, and that doesn't happen a lot to me in this hobby. My very first Avalanche 18 LLT and the JVC RS400 were probably the only other two pieces that exceeded my expectations. I did not have any nearfield subs, but I had/have six 18" LLTs in the theater with a floating subfloor, enough to pressurize the room instantly and I always had floor rumble. This is just a completely different animal. This is unlike anything I have felt in any theater or thrill ride or anywhere. My BOSS experiences so far are with the Dayton 15 and a triple layer platform, so I can't speak to other drivers or single layer, but I would imagine they are similar.
I am several weeks behind on this thread but just got my BOSS dialed in yesterday. I am getting sound from mine as well. Enough that I was able to use Audyssey to figure out what distance to set to get it integrated with my main subs. I can’t hear it at all when playing content when the other subs are on.
post #1873 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Working on my second platform. Going with 2 1" layers of plywood and adding a 1" thick square where the chair feet contact the platform (in addition to the 3/4" wood block with flat bottom hole in it to keep seat in place) plus the 9/16" piece to place under the ISO's. Total height; ~4.25". Front riser is about ~3" so this should help the 2nd row see over my fat head when they recline and I do not!

I'm taking this one outside to cut the holes so as not create a dust storm in my recently vacuumed shop!

Also included a pic of a lovely Alaskan spring day! Should get to around 60* today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2559464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2559466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2559468  
SBuger, trhought and Sekosche like this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #1874 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Absolutely Beautiful @brazensol Both the BOSS platform and the view from your house...breathtaking!

Your woodworking skills and BOSS platform design are outstanding.....nice and rigid design and great planning for both rows to keep the sight lines intact.

And that view....WOW! I bet it never gets old especially as the seasons change. Can only imagine the wildlife you have seen over the years. Such an inspirational view.......can't imagine what it would be like to wake up to that every day!

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your beautiful spring day in Alaska!
brazensol likes this.
post #1875 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 01:15 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Finished the platform now and had some impressions with it. Can't tell yet if I like it, it's nothing for music, that's for sure. Maybe it was just too loud for the movie or Hacksaw Ridge wasn't the best movie to test since every single gunshot shakes the whole house.
I used the rubber plugs used by chemists and they're ridiculous. The entire couch feels like it's floating now and I'm not a fan of that either.
Will see how much I like it after it's dialed in with vibsensor (I think that's how you guys do it?), it works down to about 8Hz. Below that the cone mass isn't high enough anymore.
The isolated seating is especially annoying since every motion 'echoes' through the sofa, although these plugs are Duro 40. And the front feet are only 1" high...

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #1876 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Finished the platform now and had some impressions with it. Can't tell yet if I like it, it's nothing for music, that's for sure. Maybe it was just too loud for the movie or Hacksaw Ridge wasn't the best movie to test since every single gunshot shakes the whole house.
I used the rubber plugs used by chemists and they're ridiculous. The entire couch feels like it's floating now and I'm not a fan of that either.
Will see how much I like it after it's dialed in with vibsensor (I think that's how you guys do it?), it works down to about 8Hz. Below that the cone mass isn't high enough anymore.
The isolated seating is especially annoying since every motion 'echoes' through the sofa, although these plugs are Duro 40. And the front feet are only 1" high...

I think most of us have had to dial it down it some regards. 20-30 hz is where people seem to be getting too much TR. Im boosted below 20hz with it starting to roll off slowly above that. It can be tough with different levels the discs have.
trhought likes this.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #1877 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
I think most of us have had to dial it down it some regards. 20-30 hz is where people seem to be getting too much TR. Im boosted below 20hz with it starting to roll off slowly above that. It can be tough with different levels the discs have.
I've dialed it in via sine wave sweeping through REW (by feeling, first used some EOT intro and vibsensor but that was far less accurate).
Feels ok now, got a 48db/oct LR lowpass at 32Hz in place now and tamed some resonances at 42 and at 19Hz.
Vib sensor shows 0.3g at 10Hz and like 0.6g or more at the 19Hz resonance before I tamed that. BOSS only.
Will try some BEQ'd gaming now.
I really like how I managed to make it almost invisible, it's really neat. Will post some pics or make a build thread eventually. A thread dedicated for sourcing the mats in Europe might be a good idea.

And man, my back still hurts from having to lift the SKHon up with one hand, trying to place a shoe underneath it with the other.

SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)

Last edited by peniku8; 04-28-2019 at 02:21 PM.
post #1878 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 1635
What a great theater and better thread @trhought , I am looking at getting some of the MB's and doing something...replacing the buttkickers that I have in my couch. Looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks again for some great motivation here, and looking forward to @Archaea and his updates, as I think that is what I want to do.
trhought likes this.
post #1879 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
Your riser looks awesome!

When I added the additional isos everything got noticeably bouncier. Under less compression the isos have a lower spring rate (this can be seen on the graph from my test platform with different weights) so it lowers the resonant frequency of the seating/platform. It's personal preference of course but I liked it bouncier.
I was wondering about this. I currently have 6 isolators on my platform that is 32x82. I think I may up that to 8 total.
post #1880 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I thought Hacksaw Ridge was a great workout for my BOSS. Until I saw this movie I really questioned what all the hype was about when it came to all this TR everyone was talking about. When the navy bombarded the island to soften up the Japanese positions my wine glass was doing gymnastics!

Having now dipped my toe into learning what BEQ is I understand better why some movies are letdowns when it comes to getting the BOSS fully engaged. I must admit I do not look forward to having to EQ so many movies in the future to get them where they should have been when they were released.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #1881 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 06:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I was wondering about this. I currently have 6 isolators on my platform that is 32x82. I think I may up that to 8 total.
My platforms are 36 x 80 and 8 seems to work well.

Denali Cinema
post #1882 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here it is before black paint. After that I just need to wire it and put the chairs on it! Then comes the hard part - routing the wires to the equipment room which luckily isn't far. I think I am going to have to remove some trim panels to do it right though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	595.1 KB
ID:	2559646   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	876.0 KB
ID:	2559648  
trhought likes this.

Denali Cinema
post #1883 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I thought Hacksaw Ridge was a great workout for my BOSS. Until I saw this movie I really questioned what all the hype was about when it came to all this TR everyone was talking about. When the navy bombarded the island to soften up the Japanese positions my wine glass was doing gymnastics!

Having now dipped my toe into learning what BEQ is I understand better why some movies are letdowns when it comes to getting the BOSS fully engaged. I must admit I do not look forward to having to EQ so many movies in the future to get them where they should have been when they were released.

I just thought all the low end was too much. Rifles and pistols have so much sub 40Hz low end that the bigger explosions are nothing special in comparison anymore.
I played some BEQ'd Prey earlier and thought that theres quite alot of sub 15Hz content in the game that wasn't intended to be there. I also kinda ran the BOSS way too hard, with basically every impact sending 500W straight to my two drivers. One effect clipped the amp like no tomorrow, nothing broke luckily. 12db less now and it's fine.
Still gotta evaluate. I BEQ everything anyways since I watch like one movie per month (actually less), so I want it to be perfect.
brazensol likes this.

SKHorn Build
post #1884 of 2903 Old 04-28-2019, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 680
If it helps anyone, my double stack of furniture movers was sometimes causing the platform with isolators to slide out of center. I took a small slider, flipped it upside down and centered it on a big slider, then screwed it in from the bottom. So now foam rests on carpet, then plastic to plastic screwed in, then foam for the isolator and weight to sink in to. Now it stays put.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CE51A796-EEEC-418C-B504-724C76849448_1556504551778.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	2559674  
trhought likes this.
post #1885 of 2903 Old 04-29-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just thought all the low end was too much. Rifles and pistols have so much sub 40Hz low end that the bigger explosions are nothing special in comparison anymore.
I played some BEQ'd Prey earlier and thought that theres quite alot of sub 15Hz content in the game that wasn't intended to be there. I also kinda ran the BOSS way too hard, with basically every impact sending 500W straight to my two drivers. One effect clipped the amp like no tomorrow, nothing broke luckily. 12db less now and it's fine.
Still gotta evaluate. I BEQ everything anyways since I watch like one movie per month (actually less), so I want it to be perfect.
Got it. I misunderstood. You're saying too much of good thing at times! I was watching Robin Hood last night and some smallish object landed in some water and the sound it made was a bit over the top given what it was.

Denali Cinema
post #1886 of 2903 Old 04-29-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

FYI.....just updated post 1 to include some testimonials over the last couple months. Probably missed a few, if so, please PM me and I'll update accordingly.

Thanks to all who have made the leap of faith in trusting such a simple and inexpensive build can add so much to your at-home theater experience!

Keep enjoying your newfound ULF and TR......like a BOSS!

And for those who haven't built one yet, what are you waiting for......other than isolators
SBuger likes this.
post #1887 of 2903 Old 04-29-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2361 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
what are you waiting for......other than isolators
There is hope: mine just shipped.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #1888 of 2903 Old 04-29-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Here it is before black paint. After that I just need to wire it and put the chairs on it! Then comes the hard part - routing the wires to the equipment room which luckily isn't far. I think I am going to have to remove some trim panels to do it right though.
brazensol......you're construction skills continue to amaze me. Love the engineered look of your platform!

I hear you regarding the hiding wires thing.....that's one of my pet peeves. I ended up constructing a third riser and drilling a few more holes in my columns to hide the BOSS wires so no one could see what was going on below. Makes the experience so much better for those who have no idea what's about to happen
brazensol likes this.
post #1889 of 2903 Old 04-29-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
There is hope: mine just shipped.
Michael
Waaahhhhoooooo!
post #1890 of 2903 Old 04-29-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Got it. I misunderstood. You're saying too much of good thing at times! I was watching Robin Hood last night and some smallish object landed in some water and the sound it made was a bit over the top given what it was.

Exactly, some effects just seem out of place and exaggerated. Also, often low end isn't controlled and instead just filtered, which is why BEQ may or may not be good. And sometimes ULF slips under the radar of the mixing engineers, like in BHD (maybe)
nsiret and brazensol like this.

SKHorn Build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page