The Hideaway Theater - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2805Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1981 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sekosche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,256
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Mine arrived but not yet the rest of the parts... so I wait.





I probably should have bought 3-4 individual shallow drivers from different manufacturers and compared them before I bought the other three for my four chairs. Here’s to hoping this driver is a reasonable choice for the project — for both of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very curious how these shallow mount subs perform in a BOSS. I could easily fit a few more of these directly under my chairs where the reclining mechanism limited clearance so the JBL’s wouldn’t fit. These would barely stick up above my 1.5” thick platform where I only have 3.5” clearance beneath the seats, but I honestly don’t need any more TR. With the JBL’s flanking both sides of the MLP, my BOSS build turned out better than I could have ever hoped for. These could be an excellent option to get creative for future builds though.

Hope you get all your parts soon! Keep us posted.
trhought likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
Sekosche is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1982 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
BryceDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 158
So much reading to do on this thread! It got me excited and I've got 2 jbl's on the way to give this a try. I have an open 6000dsp channel that will work for these. I've got 2 chases that wife and I use for seats (pictured). I'm going to try a mini platform beneath just my seat first. If my wife likes it (honestly doubtful), I'll duplicate for her seat as well.

Because of the design of my chairs, I should easily be able to fit 2 drivers underneath the 1 seat. Do you guys think 1 at the seat and 1 at the feet would be best? That is where the legs of the chair are at.

For wiring, I'll do them in series I guess and need to set the dsp limiter to 160watts or whatever the recommended wattage was x2 (I'll double check). I do have a 2x4hd that I will use for the lpf.

I ordered the recommended isolators. Since the seating is long, I'll probably use 6 isolators and just stick to a 3/4 sheet of plywood.

Anything I'm forgetting?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
CaseyH71 and Sekosche like this.

Equipment: Yamaha 3050, Oppo 103d, DIYSG HT12s (L,C,R), PSA mt 110s (SR,SL), 2 VBSS, Submaximus, 4 driver BOSS build, umik-1, Epson 3700
BryceDH is online now  
post #1983 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceDH View Post
So much reading to do on this thread! It got me excited and I've got 2 jbl's on the way to give this a try. I have an open 6000dsp channel that will work for these. I've got 2 chases that wife and I use for seats (pictured). I'm going to try a mini platform beneath just my seat first. If my wife likes it (honestly doubtful), I'll duplicate for her seat as well.

Because of the design of my chairs, I should easily be able to fit 2 drivers underneath the 1 seat. Do you guys think 1 at the seat and 1 at the feet would be best? That is where the legs of the chair are at.

For wiring, I'll do them in series I guess and need to set the dsp limiter to 160watts or whatever the recommended wattage was x2 (I'll double check). I do have a 2x4hd that I will use for the lpf.

I ordered the recommended isolators. Since the seating is long, I'll probably use 6 isolators and just stick to a 3/4 sheet of plywood.

Anything I'm forgetting?
Bryce.....welcome aboard the BOSS train. I think you'll like the ULF and TR the BOSS will bring to your chase lounge. Hopefully your wife will like it also.

For your mini-riser chase BOSS, I'd recommend placing both drivers closer to the back of your chase rather than one in the back and one towards the legs. This will keep the forcing function (the JBL drivers going up and down) closer to where the load will be on your platform when fully seated in the chase. Most of the weight will be on the back of the platform with very little weight where your legs are located. If you had a very stiff full size rizer that was 6" thick or more, then it really won't matter where the drivers are located because that thick, rigid platform will be moving as one big piece.

But, with the mini-riser using 3/4" plywood in a chase application like yours, it's best to keep both drivers closer to the back of the chase to keep most of the energy back there where you'll be sitting. I'd suggest keeping both drivers behind the centerline of the longest part of the 3/4" plywood sheet.

Hope this makes sense.
trhought is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1984 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the update lizrussspike....looking forward to learning more about your setup and impressions after you're finished. That MB Quart is a great low profile driver that modeled favorably to the JBL's in WinISD.

Can't wait to learn more about your BOSS build and impressions!
Thanks trhought! Looking to do some measurements and pull out the saw and get to work.
Hoping to get some movement this weekend. Your thread, and a some direction from @Archaea and @Sekosche have me pretty stoked. Only 1 for now, using a Dayton Audio SA 1000, and will use this temporarily, until I get a 2nd MB. Then will look to get the iNuke 3000.
trhought and Sekosche like this.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #1985 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Senior Member
 
BryceDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Makes sense! Thanks for the suggestions. Right now is the hardest part.... waiting for these drivers to arrive so I can try this thing out!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
trhought likes this.

Equipment: Yamaha 3050, Oppo 103d, DIYSG HT12s (L,C,R), PSA mt 110s (SR,SL), 2 VBSS, Submaximus, 4 driver BOSS build, umik-1, Epson 3700
BryceDH is online now  
post #1986 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 10:45 AM
Senior Member
 
peniku8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I think I'll try wiring my bass shakers (3x4Ohm in series bolted to the couch's frame) in parallel with the JBL's (also in series) to make the platform more efficient over 25Hz, which is where I currently need to pump the most power into the JBL's to get decent TR (from 25Hz to about 31Hz where it's cut off). Okay they also get their 400W RMS below 10Hz, but that's easily pushing them to their excursion limit, I'll have to apply a HPF at 10Hz I guess. My second amp (TSA 1400) would be working at its maximum to supply the JBL's plus the shakers (all in all ~750W RMS), so I'll be un-bridging my FP-13000 and using one channel for the SKHorn and the other for TR. Good thing that amp got a voltage limiter or I'd melt everything.
I might melt the shakers with sub 15Hz content but I don't even care. I'll try if they're useful and if they melt they're obviously not and get thrown out.
Separate DSP on the JBL's and the shakers would be neat, but I'm trying to downsize from two to one amp and the FP-13000 is way too overpowered for a single subwoofer in this small room anyways.
Will report back when my couch is burning.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
peniku8 is online now  
post #1987 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 9,655
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Then will look to get the iNuke 3000.
No, you want the DSP version of that (if you can find it) or its replacement, NX3000D.
Michael
Archaea and trhought like this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #1988 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,518
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2057 Post(s)
Liked: 2210
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrizzard View Post
Hard to say since I’m dealing with carpet but I could just barely wiggle my fingers under it. Now it is probably 1.5” or so of a gap. Putting the ISOs on a thick carpet/pad they really sink in. Just the additional spacing of the slider, plus it being a hard flat surface has made a huge difference.
Which sliders did you use?
raynist is offline  
post #1989 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: NJ
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
sweet looking setup!
lycokayaker is offline  
post #1990 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 9,655
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Which sliders did you use?
I used these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hard side up, of course.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #1991 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1640
Thanks @LastButNotLeast , I am tracking now, and found 1 with DSP: Behringer iNUKE NU3000DSP.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #1992 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Senior Member
 
peniku8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Germany
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Thanks @LastButNotLeast , I am tracking now, and found 1 with DSP: Behringer iNUKE NU3000DSP.
Definitely get the NX3000D instead, it looks so much better. Still all plastic but at least not hideous at first sight.
brazensol likes this.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
peniku8 is online now  
post #1993 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 9,655
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked: 1988
Still need to change the fan, though.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #1994 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,208
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2541 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
^^ I know right, but it was very easy to change the fan out. I got my fan changed out in 10 minutes. My NX3000D is dead silence now with the Noctua fan
tvuong is online now  
post #1995 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gorilla Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tennessee Mtns
Posts: 2,697
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
The Sorbothane 30 duro are over damping the TR. I called and talked with Isolate it and im sending them back along with a Silicon Hemisphere and they will see if the 70 duro will work. After talking for a bit I had him pop in a read the thread while we were on the phone. He was pretty impressed at the idea.

He said Urethane opposed to silicon would be splitting hairs for performance and what we are doing. When he gets the sample we'll see what comes of it. Currently they don't carry the Urethane in a larger size. Sounded like he could have the silicon made as well. Never hurts to have options or a manufacturer looking at a thread like this and maybe say I can make it better as well as a better supply chain.
DesertDog and Archaea like this.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS


If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
Gorilla Killa is online now  
post #1996 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
DesertDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
The Sorbothane 30 duro are over damping the TR. I called and talked with Isolate it and im sending them back along with a Silicon Hemisphere and they will see if the 70 duro will work. After talking for a bit I had him pop in a read the thread while we were on the phone. He was pretty impressed at the idea.

He said Urethane opposed to silicon would be splitting hairs for performance and what we are doing. When he gets the sample we'll see what comes of it. Currently they don't carry the Urethane in a larger size. Sounded like he could have the silicon made as well. Never hurts to have options or a manufacturer looking at a thread like this and maybe say I can make it better as well as a better supply chain.
Sweet! It never hurts. Ideally he will come back with "this product will work even better for you guys. Here's a group buy to get it done".

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
DesertDog is online now  
post #1997 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
I think I'll try wiring my bass shakers (3x4Ohm in series bolted to the couch's frame) in parallel with the JBL's (also in series) to make the platform more efficient over 25Hz, which is where I currently need to pump the most power into the JBL's to get decent TR (from 25Hz to about 31Hz where it's cut off). Okay they also get their 400W RMS below 10Hz, but that's easily pushing them to their excursion limit, I'll have to apply a HPF at 10Hz I guess. My second amp (TSA 1400) would be working at its maximum to supply the JBL's plus the shakers (all in all ~750W RMS), so I'll be un-bridging my FP-13000 and using one channel for the SKHorn and the other for TR. Good thing that amp got a voltage limiter or I'd melt everything.
I might melt the shakers with sub 15Hz content but I don't even care. I'll try if they're useful and if they melt they're obviously not and get thrown out.
Separate DSP on the JBL's and the shakers would be neat, but I'm trying to downsize from two to one amp and the FP-13000 is way too overpowered for a single subwoofer in this small room anyways.
Will report back when my couch is burning.
ROTFL about the above in bold. Some members like the combination of shakers on top of the BOSS platform for that little extra rumble. Please let us know how it turns out with all those TR instruments and knobs you have to tweak!
trhought is offline  
post #1998 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
The Sorbothane 30 duro are over damping the TR. I called and talked with Isolate it and im sending them back along with a Silicon Hemisphere and they will see if the 70 duro will work. After talking for a bit I had him pop in a read the thread while we were on the phone. He was pretty impressed at the idea.

He said Urethane opposed to silicon would be splitting hairs for performance and what we are doing. When he gets the sample we'll see what comes of it. Currently they don't carry the Urethane in a larger size. Sounded like he could have the silicon made as well. Never hurts to have options or a manufacturer looking at a thread like this and maybe say I can make it better as well as a better supply chain.
Jeff....Thanks for the report. I was hoping their formula for viscoelastic sorbothane was less visco and more elastic. Sounds like it was more visco and less elastic...bummer.

Great to hear they were nice enough to allow a return and are intested in the BOSS concept....way cool if they could come up with a formulation that compares favorably to silicone for less cost. If the opportunity comes up again, ask him about EPDM to see if he could mold that material....it's generally much lower cost than silicone.
trhought is offline  
post #1999 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,046
Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3771 Post(s)
Liked: 3553
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Thanks @LastButNotLeast , I am tracking now, and found 1 with DSP: Behringer iNUKE NU3000DSP.
If you were seeing it at Gear Club Direct (where I advised you buy the iNuke DSP 3000 in PM because that was one of the only places left that wasn't sky high prices ($279 + 10% discount so $252) ---- they no longer have them.
I bought one Tuesday and they called me and told me they sold out last Saturday and haven't updated their website. They told me they either had to cancel my order/refund, or upgrade to the NX3000D. I chose to upgrade because they still gave me the 10% off global coupon --- and it ends up being about the same price as the next best price I could find. If they don't ship it soon though I'll tell you not to use them, and use one of the bigger shops. I've not received my shipping notification and tomorrow will be a three day turn around on getting my order initially shipped. No live inventory tracking on their website meant I ended up buying something they didn't have, and the apparent 3 day turn around time? -- meh - that's why Amazon is taking over the world. I'd have already had the amp in my hands yesterday if I'd bought from Amazon for $15 more bucks. They had the nx3000d for $330 on Tuesday morning when I was looking.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 05-02-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Archaea is offline  
post #2000 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fruit Heights, UT
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If you were seeing it at Gear Club Direct (where I advised you buy the iNuke DSP 3000 in PM because that was one of the only places left that wasn't sky high prices ($279 + 10% discount so $252) ---- they no longer have them.
I bought one Tuesday and they called me and told me they sold out last Saturday and haven't updated their website. They told me they either had to cancel my order/refund, or upgrade to the NX3000D. I chose to upgrade because they still gave me the 10% off global coupon --- and it ends up being about the same price as the next best price I could find. If they don't ship it soon though I'll tell you not to use them, and use one of the bigger shops. I've not received my shipping notification and tomorrow will be a three day turn around on getting my order initially shipped. No live inventory tracking on their website meant I ended up buying something they didn't have, and the apparent 3 day turn around time? -- meh - that's why Amazon is taking over the world. I'd have already had the amp in my hands yesterday if I'd bought from Amazon for $15 more bucks. They had the nx3000d for $330 on Tuesday morning when I was looking.
Same thing happened to me with a 6000. Got the discount and paid the diff. I did get my drop ship notify a couple days later, but no tracking number so far. Guess time will tell.

I will say though, very nice folks on the other end. Don't seem to be shady at all.

Casey
CaseyH71 is offline  
post #2001 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 04:15 PM
Member
 
AcousticSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Loving this thread! Going to start gathering to make this happen. I think I will get the isolators on the way and try them out to isolate the seating just to see how that is. I have nearfield submersives which already supply some TR.
Is there any other suggested subs? The JBL's are currently pricey.

BestBuy currently has this kenwood on sale for 49 with similar fs and xmax
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwood...?skuId=6197109

or maybe this cerwin vega for $59? fs of 27 and xmax of 18
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...a-XED12V2.html

Problem is I don't really know what I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated
AcousticSoul is offline  
post #2002 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
DesertDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticSoul View Post
Loving this thread! Going to start gathering to make this happen. I think I will get the isolators on the way and try them out to isolate the seating just to see how that is. I have nearfield submersives which already supply some TR.
Is there any other suggested subs? The JBL's are currently pricey.

BestBuy currently has this kenwood on sale for 49 with similar fs and xmax
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwood...?skuId=6197109

or maybe this cerwin vega for $59? fs of 27 and xmax of 18
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...a-XED12V2.html

Problem is I don't really know what I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated
Unless you have to do it today I'd recommending waiting and keeping a close eye on this thread and the $30 JBL one. They've been going in and out of sale constantly lately. I'd be surprised if they don't drop down again for a bit within the next week.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
DesertDog is online now  
post #2003 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
BryceDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Has anybody done a double layer mini-riser for the BOSS and recessed the sub to the top layer? Considering doing this for the added rigidity and getting a better clearance for the sub without adding blocks. Basically what you would do with a double baffle flush mount sub.

As long as the two layers are firmly secured I'm assuming it would work fine?

I guess technically this is like adding 1 big block instead of just putting small blocks at each iso point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Equipment: Yamaha 3050, Oppo 103d, DIYSG HT12s (L,C,R), PSA mt 110s (SR,SL), 2 VBSS, Submaximus, 4 driver BOSS build, umik-1, Epson 3700
BryceDH is online now  
post #2004 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 04:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 345
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceDH View Post
Has anybody done a double layer mini-riser for the BOSS and recessed the sub to the top layer? Considering doing this for the added rigidity and getting a better clearance for the sub without adding blocks. Basically what you would do with a double baffle flush mount sub.

As long as the two layers are firmly secured I'm assuming it would work fine?

I guess technically this is like adding 1 big block instead of just putting small blocks at each iso point.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is the same thing I was planning to do if I feel like a single layer isn't enough.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
chucks0 is online now  
post #2005 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Member
 
AcousticSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks DesertDog. I didn't realize sales came around very often. I can wait but I do have the itch
AcousticSoul is offline  
post #2006 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Senior Member
 
BryceDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 282
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Sweet @chucks0 , you'll have to let me know how yours turns out... Also, its thanks to you reaching out asking if I had done any upgrades recently that I got curious and found this thread. Lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
chucks0 likes this.

Equipment: Yamaha 3050, Oppo 103d, DIYSG HT12s (L,C,R), PSA mt 110s (SR,SL), 2 VBSS, Submaximus, 4 driver BOSS build, umik-1, Epson 3700
BryceDH is online now  
post #2007 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
DesertDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 788
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceDH View Post
Has anybody done a double layer mini-riser for the BOSS and recessed the sub to the top layer? Considering doing this for the added rigidity and getting a better clearance for the sub without adding blocks. Basically what you would do with a double baffle flush mount sub.

As long as the two layers are firmly secured I'm assuming it would work fine?

I guess technically this is like adding 1 big block instead of just putting small blocks at each iso point.
There been a few guys that have good 2 pieces of plywood thick and a couple like mine that are one sheet of plywood with a frame. Sig has link to mine.

If you do it, glue and screw to keep things tightly together and secure.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
DesertDog is online now  
post #2008 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,208
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2541 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
They had the nx3000d for $330 on Tuesday morning when I was looking.
Got my NX3000D from Sweetwater ($349) for less than $8 a month with their 48 months zero interest. They also gave me $50 coupon for future purchase which I used to buy the speakon cable.
CaseyH71 likes this.
tvuong is online now  
post #2009 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,208
Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2541 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
I really like what @DesertDog did with his. More info about his boss build can be found under his signature.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E89D596-4A80-46B9-AE6A-C70631C88B5E.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	2561668  
DesertDog and Daniel Chaves like this.
tvuong is online now  
post #2010 of 2930 Old 05-02-2019, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,186
Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticSoul View Post
Loving this thread! Going to start gathering to make this happen. I think I will get the isolators on the way and try them out to isolate the seating just to see how that is. I have nearfield submersives which already supply some TR.
Is there any other suggested subs? The JBL's are currently pricey.

BestBuy currently has this kenwood on sale for 49 with similar fs and xmax
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kenwood...?skuId=6197109

or maybe this cerwin vega for $59? fs of 27 and xmax of 18
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...a-XED12V2.html

Problem is I don't really know what I am looking for. Any help would be appreciated
Welcome aboard AcousticSoul....glad you found us and great to hear about your plans for a BOSS.

Wal-Mart sells the JBL CS1214 (it's the same driver as the GX1200 and CX1200 that Best Buy sells). Wal-Mart has it at every day low prices if you can't wait for the Best Buy sales. Right now, I'm showing $42.55 each at Walmart.com per below link.....not sure if this is just local availability but wanted to include the link below nonetheless.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CS1214-10...oofer/49712807
trhought is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off