The Hideaway Theater - Page 69 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3453Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2041 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brazensol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Hey Frisco....great question about the Crowsons location relative to the BOSS platform. I think everyone who has tried a BOSS along with Crowsons have reported the best experience is with the Crowsons on top of the BOSS platform. Placing the Crowsons below the platform couples the BOSS platform back to the floor below which generally isn't a good thing for natural feeling ULF and TR. For the optimum BOSS experience, the goal is to have the platform as stiff as possible and as "floaty" as possible.

Regarding your single layer vs. double layer question. As long as your single layer 3/4" plywood sheet is supported every 2 feet or so by the isolators, you won't have any problems with too much flexing. 1 layer, supported every 2 feet, is the tested and approved BOSS platform for a mini-riser like yours. Sometimes double or triple layers are added to minimize the amount the JBL's stick out on top of the mini-riser. Sounds like that might be one of your goals also so the drivers don't hit the couch springs. If so, the extra weight from a double or even triple layer won't have any negative effects on the BOSS performance. I believe @brazensol constructed a triple layer platform using 1" plywood and he's reporting great performance.
I ended up using (2) 1" sheets of plywood for the platform (same as 1st row) and then used ~4" x 4" blocks of 1" plywood under each of the chairs point of contact instead of a 3rd full sheet of plywood.
trhought likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
brazensol is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2042 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brazensol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Is it better to get birch plywood? My Home Depot also has red oak. Both of those are twice a much as standard plywood, but are actually a full 3/4 inch sheet. The standard plywood is a little less.

I don’t mind paying twice as much if it is more rigid.

This is for my second BOSS build. I am going to use the first BOSS platform for my second couch.
I'd use a double layer of the cheaper plywood - it will be stiffer than a single layer of birch.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
brazensol is online now  
post #2043 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,664
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked: 2319
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I'd use a double layer of the cheaper plywood - it will be stiffer than a single layer of birch.
I am sure that would be more rigid. Today timebis of the essence. We have a movie night scheduled at 7pm. Two sheets mean’s twice as much cutting and measuring

I have a bunch of 2X4’s already cut I am going to use for extra stiffness
brazensol likes this.
raynist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2044 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
BryceDH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Lexington, SC
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 158
What fasteners are you guys using for these JBL's? I want to have everything here and ready to assemble when the subs show up. I've already got the inuke and minidsp configured and ready... just have to finish the mini riser and plug it in



Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Equipment: Yamaha 3050, Oppo 103d, DIYSG HT12s (L,C,R), PSA mt 110s (SR,SL), 2 VBSS, Submaximus, 4 driver BOSS build, umik-1, Epson 3700
BryceDH is offline  
post #2045 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brazensol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Those shallow mount MB Quart's @Archaea posted has me thinking... It looks like they would just fit under my seats on the first row platform. The even taller 2nd row would be no issue at all. I might need ~1/8" spacer ring for the 1st row but I don't think so. Anyway, if I do this, could I power them all (6 JBL's and 6 MB Quart's) from one channel of a 6000DSP or should I plan on another amp? Given both options, how would I wire these for either 1 amp channel or 2 amp channels? Also what is the closest I could cut the 2nd speaker hole in relation to the current hole with minimal compromise to the platform stiffness?

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
brazensol is online now  
post #2046 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sekosche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 3637
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceDH View Post
What fasteners are you guys using for these JBL's? I want to have everything here and ready to assemble when the subs show up. I've already got the inuke and minidsp configured and ready... just have to finish the mini riser and plug it in

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Any decent wood screw will work. I’ve been using these for a while in 1” & 1.5”, simple little panheads from PE with deep threads that I’ve used on a lot of projects and they work very well, especially for their price. Get whatever size fits your needs and get the BOSS bumping when the drivers arrive!

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-...BoCu-sQAvD_BwE
trhought likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
Sekosche is offline  
post #2047 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,543
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1563
When I do the boss setup, it will be in conjunction with this

And this 2 buttkicker lfe and 2 clark Synthesis platinum's per chair.... lol
Its gonna be quite the ride! I think Im just gonna try and get some JBLs at the boarder. Makes my life easier using a proven driver.
SBuger and trhought like this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!


Last edited by N8DOGG; 05-04-2019 at 11:53 AM.
N8DOGG is offline  
post #2048 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 2,377
Mentioned: 376 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked: 4214
^^^ Yeah I kept my subs right behind me too, granted my are just sealed 18's as close as I can get them behind my seats, so nothing like your monsters behind yours. They work great together with the BOSS. I ran BK LFE's too, but just did away with them the other day but still run Crowson MAs as well with the VNF subs and BOSS. The Crowson MAs really help with the 10hz TR and under and combine well.

EDIT: I've never tried the Clarks but have heard really good things about them. I do love the BOSS and kind of find it to be a milder version of the combo of BK LFE's + Crowson MAs that's real natural feeling. I think you'll really like what it adds in addition to what you already have.
Chris Young and trhought like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.7.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | Eyes 6.5' to 120" 16:9 AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox 1X | Apple TV4K | 6x 18" Sealed Subs w/3x VNF | Subwoofer Riser w/6x JBL-12s | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 05-04-2019 at 12:50 PM.
SBuger is offline  
post #2049 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,651
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Those shallow mount MB Quart's @Archaea posted has me thinking... It looks like they would just fit under my seats on the first row platform. The even taller 2nd row would be no issue at all. I might need ~1/8" spacer ring for the 1st row but I don't think so. Anyway, if I do this, could I power them all (6 JBL's and 6 MB Quart's) from one channel of a 6000DSP or should I plan on another amp? Given both options, how would I wire these for either 1 amp channel or 2 amp channels? Also what is the closest I could cut the 2nd speaker hole in relation to the current hole with minimal compromise to the platform stiffness?
Hey brazensol.....unfortunately, you'll have to use 2 separate channels when adding the MBQuart drivers. Because the JBL drivers are so different in design than the MBQuart drivers, you'll find the power setting on the amplifier that works good for the JBL's won't work as good for the MBQuart drivers and vice-versa. So, it would be hard to get the 6 JBL drivers to behave the same as the 6 MBQuart drivers on the same circuit. Hope this makes sense.

Now, if you bought 12 of the MB Quart drivers, then yes, all of those could be powered by one channel of the 6000 since it would have enough power for all 12. Or, if you bought 6 more of the JBL's that would work with one channel also, but it sounds like those 6 extra JBL's won't fit if I understand correctly. Also, the MB Quart drivers are dual voice coil drivers which makes wiring a bit more flexible to match impedance loads for different amplifiers. If this is the path you choose, just let me know and I can help with wiring those 12 on one channel of the 6000.

For 2 channel wiring, just keep the JBL's like you have them now and wire the other channel with the 6 MBQuart drivers as shown below. This will give you ~5.4 ohms for that channel which is pretty close to the 6 ohms you have on the other channel with the JBL's.

Regarding the hole locations, since you have a 2" thick platform, it's plenty rigid to accommodate the extra holes without much concern. If it were me, I'd probably keep the drivers about 2" from each other for a bit of safety factor if that works OK for your chair clearances.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MBQuart Wiring.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	2562410  
Archaea and brazensol like this.
trhought is offline  
post #2050 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,651
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
When I do the boss setup, it will be in conjunction with this

And this 2 buttkicker lfe and 2 clark Synthesis platinum's per chair.... lol
Its gonna be quite the ride! I think Im just gonna try and get some JBLs at the boarder. Makes my life easier using a proven driver.
N8DOGG....Thanks for circling back and sharing a picture of your setup. Yeah, you'll be good in the ULF TR department ....hold on tight! Safe driving to the border!

Last edited by trhought; 05-04-2019 at 03:06 PM.
trhought is offline  
post #2051 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
brazensol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Hey brazensol.....unfortunately, you'll have to use 2 separate channels when adding the MBQuart drivers. Because the JBL drivers are so different in design than the MBQuart drivers, you'll find the power setting on the amplifier that works good for the JBL's won't work as good for the MBQuart drivers and vice-versa. So, it would be hard to get the 6 JBL drivers to behave the same as the 6 MBQuart drivers on the same circuit. Hope this makes sense.

Now, if you bought 12 of the MB Quart drivers, then yes, all of those could be powered by one channel of the 6000 since it would have enough power for all 12. Or, if you bought 6 more of the JBL's that would work with one channel also, but it sounds like those 6 extra JBL's won't fit if I understand correctly. Also, the MB Quart drivers are dual voice coil drivers which makes wiring a bit more flexible to match impedance loads for different amplifiers. If this is the path you choose, just let me know and I can help with wiring those 12 on one channel of the 6000.

For 2 channel wiring, just keep the JBL's like you have them now and wire the other channel with the 6 MBQuart drivers as shown below. This will give you ~5.4 ohms for that channel which is pretty close to the 6 ohms you have on the other channel with the JBL's.

Regarding the hole locations, since you have a 2" thick platform, it's plenty rigid to accommodate the extra holes without much concern. If it were me, I'd probably keep the drivers about 2" from each other for a bit of safety factor if that works OK for your chair clearances.

Thanks for that great info! Yes, I need the shallow MB's to fit under the seats so no worries. I'll just get another 6000DSP and have one "spare" channel for whatever the future might bring... like a 24" perhaps!
trhought likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
brazensol is online now  
post #2052 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 10,141
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2573 Post(s)
Liked: 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
VS measurements to follow, probably this weekend, but the results are, indeed, OUTSTANDING.
As promised, in the VS thread so as not to distract:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post58000430
Michael
trhought and Polyrythm1k like this.
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #2053 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,132
Mentioned: 691 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3547 Post(s)
Liked: 3304
For those that don't know, those are 2 JTR Orbit Shifter Pro's in the middle of Nathan's picture. Each one is capable of over 140 db's of mid bass. He has to be the only guy out there running them near field. Insanity.
SBuger, trhought and Sekosche like this.
carp is offline  
post #2054 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sekosche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 3637
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
For those that don't know, those are 2 JTR Orbit Shifter Pro's in the middle of Nathan's picture. Each one is capable of over 140 db's of mid bass. He has to be the only guy out there running them near field. Insanity.

Thanks, I was wondering what those were. I love seeing systems like this to put mine in perspective and let me know it’s relatively sane compared to some of these monster setups. Is that also a quad stack of HS-24’s flanking the couch?
trhought likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
Sekosche is offline  
post #2055 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 11:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fruit Heights, UT
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Dang it! Got all excited as the price of the JBL GX1200 dropped on BB, but it only went to $64.99. What kind of game are they playin'?
CaseyH71 is offline  
post #2056 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 11:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fruit Heights, UT
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
For those that don't know, those are 2 JTR Orbit Shifter Pro's in the middle of Nathan's picture. Each one is capable of over 140 db's of mid bass. He has to be the only guy out there running them near field. Insanity.
Hmm, the reason no one is on the couch is because they are plastered to the front wall?!?
carp, trhought and brazensol like this.
CaseyH71 is offline  
post #2057 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 11:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Sekosche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,365
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked: 3637
The Hideaway Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyH71 View Post
Dang it! Got all excited as the price of the JBL GX1200 dropped on BB, but it only went to $64.99. What kind of game are they playin'?

Haha dang, but I’d say they’re still not a bad value at that price. I’ve seen Walmart and a few other sites with them also around $45-50 each intermittently. There’s two versions of the JBL available (different dust cap) for $50 from this website with free shipping, which is still pretty cheap if you are itching to build.
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...xoC4fwQAvD_BwE
CaseyH71 likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
Sekosche is offline  
post #2058 of 4018 Old 05-04-2019, 11:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fruit Heights, UT
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Haha dang, but I’d say they’re still not a bad value at that price. I’ve seen Walmart and a few other sites with them also around $45-50 each intermittently. There’s two versions of the JBL available (different dust cap) for $50 from this website with free shipping, which is still pretty cheap if you are itching to build.
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...xoC4fwQAvD_BwE
Thanks my friend! I am holding out hope and trying to eek out the last bit of patience. May end up going with SE at 49 if Wally World doesn't get them back in stock soon.

Casey
CaseyH71 is offline  
post #2059 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Archaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 11,245
Mentioned: 629 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked: 3713
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyH71 View Post
Dang it! Got all excited as the price of the JBL GX1200 dropped on BB, but it only went to $64.99. What kind of game are they playin'?


Buy now price match at next sale?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/help-to...at297300050000

Archaea's 9.12.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
Archaea is online now  
post #2060 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 10,141
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2573 Post(s)
Liked: 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyH71 View Post
Dang it! Got all excited as the price of the JBL GX1200 dropped on BB, but it only went to $64.99. What kind of game are they playin'?
They want to see how many they can sell for $130.
CaseyH71 likes this.
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #2061 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 10,141
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2573 Post(s)
Liked: 2213
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
For those that don't know, those are 2 JTR Orbit Shifter Pro's in the middle of Nathan's picture. Each one is capable of over 140 db's of mid bass. He has to be the only guy out there running them near field. Insanity.
To which he added a couple of $30 12" JBLs.
This is a strange rabbit hole, indeed.
Michael
carp likes this.
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #2062 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,399
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2667 Post(s)
Liked: 2457
Do you guys use DynEQ on your AVR/Pre-amp? I was thinking using DynEQ on the AVR and then on the Behringer DSP amp will double up the curve like having 2 LS filters for lower level listening levels. The difference is on the Behringer, one can play with DynEQ settings where as on the avr, one cannot. Enable these DynEQs along with beq will definitely wobble and shake the h3ll out of us down to low single digit hz
tvuong is online now  
post #2063 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 10,141
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2573 Post(s)
Liked: 2213
I do, since it also boosts the treble (the old "loudness" contour for us old guys).
Probably depends on your AVR.
Michael
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #2064 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 03:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Holy Crap! Just finished throwing together a quick BOSS platform using 2 JBLs I picked up a couple weeks ago and an old Onkyo receiver. Haven't done anything to dial them in and am already amazed at what they provide.
trhought and Sekosche like this.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
chucks0 is offline  
post #2065 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 988
How do you determine phase and delay settings for a BOSS platform?

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
chucks0 is offline  
post #2066 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Gorilla Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Next in line for a coveted Red Button
Posts: 3,025
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 2145
No delay, if face down in phase, if face up inverted. Doesnt hurt to check phase even though that seems to be working for most people.
Gorilla Killa is online now  
post #2067 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 06:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SC
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
No delay, if face down in phase, if face up inverted. Doesnt hurt to check phase even though that seems to be working for most people.
What about distance for the sub output?

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
chucks0 is offline  
post #2068 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,677
Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2928 Post(s)
Liked: 3737
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks0 View Post
How do you determine phase and delay settings for a BOSS platform?


My drivers face down and I am using inverted as it has a better feel.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #2069 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 5,399
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2667 Post(s)
Liked: 2457
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
My drivers face down and I am using inverted as it has a better feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are actually in phase when inverted due to the NX3000D Behringer amp is wired out of phase to begin with.
tvuong is online now  
post #2070 of 4018 Old 05-05-2019, 08:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
As promised, in the VS thread so as not to distract:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post58000430
Michael


Mine is very similar but in the bottom, not the back. I used a single driver from a JBL PB12 on a small baffle in the center. Thinking of a full length baffle that runs the length of the couch and using 3. One under each cushion. Been using a 30hz lpf @24db. Seems pretty good set up that way. Still working on it. Anyway, I don’t want to derail the thread but had comment since I thought I might be the only one!(except @Arch ea).

Hard to get a really good picture...
trhought and Sekosche like this.
Polyrythm1k is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off