The Hideaway Theater - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3292Likes

post #181 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Settled on these 2" tall feet, no mention of durometer, but they appear to be solid rubber, should support a lot of weight, and the price is right.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Ramp-Doo...UAAOSwE0JY-ndq

Are you ok with others posting in your theater thread like this or would you prefer I take it to a different build thread?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 1242
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I think the 12" JBL's will be fine and a great cost/performance set-up. Just ordered 4 packages of the 2.5" isolators (16 total). Will pick up the speakers Monday. Plywood I can get anytime. Probably won't get to work on putting it all together til next month because I am already behind on so many other projects.

I'll most likely go with 3/4" ply for the front row and a 1" + 1" plywood sandwich for the second row.
brazensol.....Thanks for the info....you have all the right ingredients for your BOSS's. As always, as you get closer to building them, just let me know if you have any questions that come up along the way. Since you have all the prescribed ingredients, it should be pretty straight forward when following the guidelines in post 29. You won't believe what these are going to do for your home theater experience.....all for a few hundred dollars!
brazensol likes this.
post #183 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked: 2070
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Settled on these 2" tall feet, no mention of durometer, but they appear to be solid rubber, should support a lot of weight, and the price is right.

Are you ok with others posting in your theater thread like this or would you prefer I take it to a different build thread?
I have a few other options coming for feet. I can say the Iso's Tim listed are akin to a ball i play fetch with my dogs. Its dense but you can depress it with your thumb. I have feet in the shape you have as well ill be trying out. Initially I think Tim has found a good choice. Too hard will lose the TR and too soft may be awkward. Im all for experimenting with options though.

Tim mentioned padding thickness and carpet when I had thoughts on this. On some levels this could be personal preference and material dependent as well what setup individuals chose.
trhought likes this.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Gorilla Killa - I think too soft and it would act to dampen the vibration on the actual riser, plus every time you adjust in your seat you might feel the riser shift. Too hard and it will couple the riser to the floor, robbing vibration and distributing it across the whole floor. I was worried about being too short too - the driver needs breathing room for the front and back wave to properly cancel each other, and the higher the riser is suspended, the more it will shake.
Gorilla Killa likes this.
post #185 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Hey Steve...no problems with the posts at all.....the more we can share here, the more everyone else can benefit and come up with their own designs.

If those door bumpers are anything like the ones I link below, they will likely be way too stiff. I tried the ones in the Amazon link below and the TR response wasn't very good at all....those were the poorest performers when I was measuring with the VS. Maybe your 15's, with the extra mass will be enough to overcome the stiffness, but I've found through my experiments, you want the platform to be as "floaty" as possible for the BOSS to feel natural and not "gimmicky"

The 2 biggest factors that influenced this "realism" was the stiffness of the platform and the softness of the rubber. For the plywood, 3/4" plywood is minimum, 5/8" didn't work as well and 1/2" wasn't good at all....too flimsy and required too many supports which basically coupled it back to the ground too much. The softness of the rubber is key.....you basically want that entire monolithic platform to respond on demand from the drivers as much as possible. To get this response, the isolators are key.....the softer, the better.....as always, there's a balance though. If they're too soft, then the platform won't support the weight when everyone gets on it.

The ones I linked to in post 29 were the best at delivering this realism when coupled with a rigid platform.

To give you an idea how "floaty" the platform should be, check out the video I link to below for a recent BOSS completion by AVS member @Chris Young

Amazon isolators/bumpers that didn't work very good:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Hound-Aut...r=8-3-fkmrnull

Link to video showing how a properly constructed BOSS platform will float.....check out post 58 where @Chris Young shows how his BOSS "floats"....this is using the prescribed Amazon isolators I linked to in post 29 in this thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...theater-2.html
post #186 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@Gorilla Killa - I think too soft and it would act to dampen the vibration on the actual riser, plus every time you adjust in your seat you might feel the riser shift. Too hard and it will couple the riser to the floor, robbing vibration and distributing it across the whole floor. I was worried about being too short too - the driver needs breathing room for the front and back wave to properly cancel each other, and the higher the riser is suspended, the more it will shake.
Steve....you definitely want the isolators to be soft. After viewing the video I linked to in the above post, I think that will give you a good idea what to target for softness. With your taller isolator needs, just simply add wood spacers to the bottom of your BOSS then adhere the Amazon isolators to those spacers to give your 15's the breathing room they will need.

The entire mass/spring system of the BOSS is so massive, you won't need to worry about the higher frequency content feeling too "fake". There's just not enough high frequency energy in a BOSS to excite the entire mass that's on top of it. That's what makes it feel so real....it delivers unbelievable low frequency TR because of the driver displacement being large at low frequencies with a soft spring constant. But, the BOSS also naturally rolls off the higher frequencies because of the mass/spring system soaking up the lower driver displacements you get at higher frequencies. Probably way too much tech talk, but wanted to help convey this concept as you're building your own BOSS design.
post #187 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
I have a few other options coming for feet. I can say the Iso's Tim listed are akin to a ball i play fetch with my dogs. Its dense but you can depress it with your thumb. I have feet in the shape you have as well ill be trying out. Initially I think Tim has found a good choice. Too hard will lose the TR and too soft may be awkward. Im all for experimenting with options though.

Tim mentioned padding thickness and carpet when I had thoughts on this. On some levels this could be personal preference and material dependent as well what setup individuals chose.
Hey Jeff....looking forward to your isolator experiments. If you find any isolators that are comparable or better than the Amazon isolators, please share. Always looking for better components to enhance the experience and push the boundaries. If those isolators happen to be lower cost, even better....win/win!
post #188 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmm, ok, I cancelled and will await further experiments, but those hemispherical feet say they can support approximately 25lbs each. I weigh ~210, the recliner is approximately 100, and the plywood with driver will probably be another 50, so 360lbs. That would take 14-15 isolators per riser. If a second person sat down on the recliner, add another 8?

I'm assuming you are using far less than that successfully?
post #189 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ yeah, don't pay attention to the weight support verbiage....without any context that could be interpreted a hundred different ways...lol. Does it mean, it can only support 25 lbs until it deflects more than .1", does it mean it can only support 25 lbs before you can puncture it with a 2 mm steel ball, who knows ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If you use the isolators and guidelines in Post 29, your BOSS experience will be incredible, just add the wood spacers as I recommended above to get your platform height correct for the 15's.

I received a PM from another member recently who has 4 Crowson's. He was intrigued by this BOSS concept and recently completed his own BOSS experiment with an extra baffle and woofer he had laying around. It was one small platform and one chair on top of it. He said, "I felt a violence on Flight of the Phoenix as the plane barrels down that I just wasn’t expecting." He's planning to build a BOSS with the JBL's now.

That's been my experience also, anytime I watch my favorite demo scenes or listen to music.....I'm still surprised by the shear power and surprising things I feel that are so natural but brutal at the same time....simply incredible!
Chris Young likes this.

Last edited by trhought; 03-10-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #190 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2521 Post(s)
Liked: 2154
Was all set to make one for a single chair but had the foresight (for once) to discover the metal cross braces don't allow enough clearance for the speaker.
So my ButtKicker stays.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #191 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ lol....yeah, definitely have to tilt the furniture pieces up first to see what you have to work with....good thing you did that now!

Maybe that should be step 1 in the guidelines....lol.

Others have the same dilemma, the person I referred to above with the Crowson's is considering a BOSS platform with the JBL's behind his chairs rather than under. He has the same problems with space underneath and didn't want to increase his riser height to accommodate the JBL's. Always different paths to reach our goals if there's enough motivation...lol.
post #192 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm, ok, I cancelled and will await further experiments, but those hemispherical feet say they can support approximately 25lbs each. I weigh ~210, the recliner is approximately 100, and the plywood with driver will probably be another 50, so 360lbs. That would take 14-15 isolators per riser. If a second person sat down on the recliner, add another 8?

I'm assuming you are using far less than that successfully?

My driver is 50,box 30,chair 75 me 200. Im using 4, between padding compression and Iso im left with 5/8" between carpet and frame. Ive run sine waves with this gap and its enough, at least in my configuration, to cancel the spl. Ive lowered my LP filter to 30hz because im running ported and dont need anything above it. As you know lower frequency is about excursion and not spl as we dive down so below 20 cancelling becomes moot and about TR.

Along the Iso softness to hardness lines, think of it this way. The floor is the plate

Chris Young, SBuger and biga6761 like this.

post #193 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ LOL...That's a great graphic to show the desired end goal with the BOSS platforms. A bit exaggerated, but not too far off when using the prescribed Amazon isolators.

Yeah, it's definitely all about TR with the BOSS and the driver displacement down at the lower frequencies. Can't imagine having 90mm of Xmax like you do....lol. That's gotta be crazy....the JBL's have 15mm and I have to back down the MV sometimes out of shear panic.

I recall earlier that you had an idea of running the Amazon isolators stacked round to round. That should definitely make for a softer ride. If you have enough isolators, that would be a cool experiment to see if going any softer has merits.
post #194 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
the person I referred to above with the Crowson's is considering a BOSS platform with the JBL's behind his chairs rather than under.
Hmm, I might be able to do that. I just happened to have wood the perfect size to go underneath; I'll have to see if it's long enough to support the driver behind.
Thanks, I think.
Michael
trhought likes this.

post #195 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have 4 more. Ill have to rig that up to keep it balanced but I will work that out. Truthfully I not sure I want anymore but Ill try it just to check it out.The jello thing is a bit much I agree but just a elementary example. Even compressed I can still indent the pad so it hasnt changed its pliability, when compressed. Also curious over time how these hold their shape.

The xmax is 90mm point to point, full tilt they get to 70mm maybe slightly more. Yesterday I jumped up because the amp is in another room thinking its going to blow my driver, its just cruising as Im finding out. I have an extra if something goes awry. Quite different then when the were across across the room.

I just watched Lone Survivor chopper drop, LMAO. I believe Shane was talking to me "You Lucky Bastard"

Im going to have to find a way to correlate bass levels in the movies to this . The NUN is one of those movies that WAY over delivers. If you havent seen it, while pretty bad, it packs a wallop.

Im working on running through the Vib Sensor app so I can have some data to post. Ill do so more testing next weekend after the feet come in.

Jeff
SBuger and biga6761 like this.

post #196 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 574
Curious about your thoughts on building 6 individual BOSS mini-risers; one for each seat?

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #197 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Hmm, I might be able to do that. I just happened to have wood the perfect size to go underneath; I'll have to see if it's long enough to support the driver behind.
Thanks, I think.
Michael
^^^^ Yeah....check it out Michael. My advise to him was to make the platform as stiff as possible. Maybe even a double layer BOSS platform and use the soft isolators underneath it. Both of these will help deliver the TR to the seats on the platform even with the JBL's behind.
LarryF6108 likes this.
post #198 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 686 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 3290
Quote:
^^^^ lol....yeah, definitely have to tilt the furniture pieces up first to see what you have to work with....good thing you did that now!

Maybe that should be step 1 in the guidelines....lol.

Others have the same dilemma, the person I referred to above with the Crowson's is considering a BOSS platform with the JBL's behind his chairs rather than under. He has the same problems with space underneath and didn't want to increase his riser height to accommodate the JBL's. Always different paths to reach our goals if there's enough motivation...lol.

Looking underneath my seats I may end up having to do something like this too, I just can't imagine that the driver will fit under there mostly because of a middle brace running from the front to the back of the chair. The problem is I'd have to get rid of the NF sub. Sounds like a shootout between NF and BOSS.
post #199 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Looking underneath my seats I may end up having to do something like this too, I just can't imagine that the driver will fit under there mostly because of a middle brace running from the front to the back of the chair. The problem is I'd have to get rid of the NF sub. Sounds like a shootout between NF and BOSS.
Only way to know is to measure. I had a brace running side to side across the middle and I crammed a motor 7" triple stack slugs 5" high underneath. I can rock, recline with a little room to spare.

Im not telling you to do this, I am telling you to measure before you surrender
Nalleh likes this.

post #200 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have 4 more. Ill have to rig that up to keep it balanced but I will work that out. Truthfully I not sure I want anymore but Ill try it just to check it out.The jello thing is a bit much I agree but just a elementary example. Even compressed I can still indent the pad so it hasnt changed its pliability, when compressed. Also curious over time how these hold their shape.

The xmax is 90mm point to point, full tilt they get to 70mm maybe slightly more. Yesterday I jumped up because the amp is in another room thinking its going to blow my driver, its just cruising as Im finding out. I have an extra if something goes awry. Quite different then when the were across across the room.

I just watched Lone Survivor chopper drop, LMAO. I believe Shane was talking to me "You Lucky Bastard"

Im going to have to find a way to correlate bass levels in the movies to this . The NUN is one of those movies that WAY over delivers. If you havent seen it, while pretty bad, it packs a wallop.

Im working on running through the Vib Sensor app so I can have some data to post. Ill do so more testing next weekend after the feet come in.

Jeff
Oh yeah....The NUN was one of the first movies we watched as a family after first completing both BOSS's. We all gasped when the nun shows up at the end of the hallway at the beginning of the movie. We all had to take a few breaths after that....the feeling was like hitting turbulence on an airplane...lol. After that scene, we knew were were in for a fun ride.

LOL on the chopper scene and the "Lucky Bastard" comment....my feelings too whenever enjoying the BOSS's.

The jumping up comment is so true, the TR is so unbelievable at times. It's like...OK, I know something just broke because it was so violent. Then, I'll lift the chair and find the driver just coasting along like no big deal...pretty amazing.

Those isolators are made from silicone, they'll be pretty much indestructible if they're anything like the silicone wedding band that I've had for years. When I get figgity, I'll take it off my finger and stretch the crap out of it several times a day. It hasn't lost it's shape at all after all these years. I think I paid like $4 for it 5 years ago on Amazon....lol.

As always, looking forward to hearing about your encounters with your Gorilla Killa Boss!
post #201 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, just try a dry-fit at first. If you have your JBL's yet, just tilt one of the chairs forward and place the driver underneath and slowly lower it down until you see where it hits or clears. That will give you a good idea what you have to work with out of the gate. From there, you'll start getting other ideas. You may be surprised what you can fit under there. I certainly was after getting them to fit under our sleeper sofa with a pullout bed mechanism. If you've ever seen underneath one of those, you know what I mean...there's not much room at all anywhere because of the bed.

My experiments with NF vs. BOSS....no comparison. It took 3x more power to get the same 1g force using VS with NF placements. And, the feeling was never natural when using NF behind the seat or beside the seat. When I moved the sub underneath the seat, the entire experience changed and was unbelievably real. I had to turn the volume down 20 dB to tame the response to 1g....pretty incredible. You really have to experience the BOSS to believe it.
post #202 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 574
I think my earlier question got missed in the latest flurry of posts (this thread keeps moving at a quick pace!)

Curious about your thoughts on building 6 individual BOSS mini-risers; one for each seat?

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #203 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
6 individual BOSS mini-risers; one for each seat?
Since there's mini-Marty, I was going to call mine a baby-BOSS.

"Riser? We don't need no stinkin' riser!"

Michael
trhought and brazensol like this.

post #204 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think my earlier question got missed in the latest flurry of posts (this thread keeps moving at a quick pace!)

Hey brazensol.....Thanks for the reminder.....just finished hanging some curtain rods...lol.

Yes, forgot to answer your question. Individual platforms will work just fine, just like the drawing shows in Post 29. Smaller platforms for individual chairs should have 1 driver and larger platforms for couches or other larger pieces should have 2 drivers.

Hope this helps.
brazensol likes this.
post #205 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 360 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 4025
The more I hear about this BOSS the more amazing it sounds!

@Gorilla Killa – Congrats on getting that 18” going, early reports sound pretty crazy with that thing! Will be cool to see your VS graphs when you get to it as well.

Also @trhought – sounds like just those 3 JBL 12’s per BOSS gives you all the TR you could ever want and very natural feeling as well (more so than NF behind), which is just as important as intensity IMO, if not more so. So really sounds like a win win for sure in those departments.

From all the things I’ve heard you say about yours, makes me wonder if one would really even need anything larger than those 12’s. Maybe for extreme movement for the ULF stuff, but then again may not make that much diff once you get to a certain amount anyway and could probably be tailored for the most part with DSP if you wanted more down low, unless more excursion past 15mm is really needed.

I’ll probably end up trying both the 18’s and 12’s, but hoping the 12” will give all that is needed down under 20hz and into the singles. Will def be easier without having to have my seating 10” up off the ground or whatever it will take to accommodate the 18”. Was going to try one of my Um18’s, but may try the 12’s first and may deliver as much TR as one could want depending on just how high you turn them up.

Great stuff guys and so cool to see the BOSS taking off like it is
trhought and biga6761 like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 6.5' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #206 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
As I said before, I’m *very* interested in the BOSS concept.
Unfortunely, the JBL CS1214 (and variants) aren’t as cheaply available in EU as they are is the US, which got me looking for alternatives. I know very little about subwoofer design so I would like the hive mind’s input on this driver, which I can be had for next to nothing. To make up for the driver’s shortcomings I think at least 6 of them could be fitted to a board above which my bog-standard Ikea couch would sit.
I cannot paste links here so i’ll leave the few listed specs instead:

MHB 12, 12", 8 Ohm

MHB 12 is excellent for use as replacement speaker or for new loudspeaker system design and construction. poly-laminated paper cone woofer provides a high degree of compatibility when used as a replacement speaker—it also delivers excellent performance in your new projects, too.

Product Specifications
Nominal Diameter 12"
Power Handling (RMS) 300 W
Power Handling (Max) 500 W
Impedance 8 Ω
Frequency Response 32-7000 Hz
Sensitivity 94 dB
Voice Coil Diameter 1-17⁄64" (32 mm)
Thiele-Small Parameters
Resonant Frequency (Fs) 39 Hz
DC Resistance (Re) 7.5 Ω
Total Q (Qts) 1.26
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 116.5 l
Materials of Construction
Cone Material Paper
Surround Material Schaumstoff
Magnet Material Ferrite
Mounting Information
Overall Outside Diameter 11-13⁄16" (300 mm)
Baffle Cutout Diameter 11-1⁄32" (280 mm)
Depth 4-17⁄32" (115 mm)
Mounting Holes 8
MHB 12, 12", 8 Ohm
Brand MHB
Model 12
Part Number 6003223
Weight 6 lbs.
post #207 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 686 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 3290
Quote:
Only way to know is to measure. I had a brace running side to side across the middle and I crammed a motor 7" triple stack slugs 5" high underneath. I can rock, recline with a little room to spare.

Im not telling you to do this, I am telling you to measure before you surrender
Quote:
Yeah, just try a dry-fit at first. If you have your JBL's yet, just tilt one of the chairs forward and place the driver underneath and slowly lower it down until you see where it hits or clears. That will give you a good idea what you have to work with out of the gate. From there, you'll start getting other ideas. You may be surprised what you can fit under there. I certainly was after getting them to fit under our sleeper sofa with a pullout bed mechanism. If you've ever seen underneath one of those, you know what I mean...there's not much room at all anywhere because of the bed.

My experiments with NF vs. BOSS....no comparison. It took 3x more power to get the same 1g force using VS with NF placements. And, the feeling was never natural when using NF behind the seat or beside the seat. When I moved the sub underneath the seat, the entire experience changed and was unbelievably real. I had to turn the volume down 20 dB to tame the response to 1g....pretty incredible. You really have to experience the BOSS to believe it.

I have around 7 inches between the center brace and left/right side braces so we'll see.

I figured for 40 bucks it was worth a shot to just buy the driver and see what happens, it should get here Wednesday so I'll soon know it it will fit or not.

Statements like the bolded above really get me excited because nearfield is no joke!!
post #208 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcd View Post
As I said before, I’m *very* interested in the BOSS concept.
Unfortunely, the JBL CS1214 (and variants) aren’t as cheaply available in EU as they are is the US, which got me looking for alternatives. I know very little about subwoofer design so I would like the hive mind’s input on this driver, which I can be had for next to nothing. To make up for the driver’s shortcomings I think at least 6 of them could be fitted to a board above which my bog-standard Ikea couch would sit.
^^^ amcd.....Thanks for stopping by and asking about that driver.

I didn't see Xmax listed in the parameters you linked so I found some additional information online.

Looks like this is the TSP woofer MHB-12, if so, the Xmax is only 5mm and the moving mass is only 61g since the cone is paper.

Compared to the JBL 12" woofers which have a moving mass of 179g. Just going by the moving mass alone, it would take about 3 MHB's for every 1 JBL to equal the moving mass. Then the excursion is 3 times less, so this is probably not a good BOSS candidate.

Alaric, who lives in the UK found a good JBL surrogate for a good price. It was the JBL GT5-12 driver. It had slightly more excursion and had more moving mass than the JBL's here in the US. It would be a good BOSS driver if you can find one there.

Hope this helps.
post #209 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have around 7 inches between the center brace and left/right side braces so we'll see.

I figured for 40 bucks it was worth a shot to just buy the driver and see what happens, it should get here Wednesday so I'll soon know it it will fit or not.

Statements like the bolded above really get me excited because nearfield is no joke!!
Yeah, it's gonna be close but I think manageable. Once you get the driver on Wednesday, you'll start to see other options also as you start dry-fitting everything together. I know you're trying to keep your front platform as low as possible, but if you find you only need another 1-2" of clearance, remember you can always double up on the BOSS platform thickness, say two 1" thick sheet sandwiched together. This will make the JBL stick out less on the top side of the platform.

Also, with the double thickness riser, it will be even stiffer, so if you end up placing that JBL behind the chair firing upward in typical BOSS alignment, it will still transfer that TR to your seat on top of the platform, especially when using the soft isolators mentioned in post 29.

It truly is an unbelievable experience when you get your BOSS fired up using the JBL's....I don't think you will be disappointed....quite the opposite!

If you currently have NF subs and want to try a quick experiment, just sit on one of those subs and place some of the isolators in Post 29 underneath that subwoofer. Orient the sub so the driver is horizontal firing down into the floor....you'll start to get an idea just how crazy the TR is going to be with a BOSS.
carp and Gorilla Killa like this.
post #210 of 3684 Old 03-10-2019, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
The more I hear about this BOSS the more amazing it sounds!

@Gorilla Killa – Congrats on getting that 18” going, early reports sound pretty crazy with that thing! Will be cool to see your VS graphs when you get to it as well.

Also @trhought – sounds like just those 3 JBL 12’s per BOSS gives you all the TR you could ever want and very natural feeling as well (more so than NF behind), which is just as important as intensity IMO, if not more so. So really sounds like a win win for sure in those departments.

From all the things I’ve heard you say about yours, makes me wonder if one would really even need anything larger than those 12’s. Maybe for extreme movement for the ULF stuff, but then again may not make that much diff once you get to a certain amount anyway and could probably be tailored for the most part with DSP if you wanted more down low, unless more excursion past 15mm is really needed.

I’ll probably end up trying both the 18’s and 12’s, but hoping the 12” will give all that is needed down under 20hz and into the singles. Will def be easier without having to have my seating 10” up off the ground or whatever it will take to accommodate the 18”. Was going to try one of my Um18’s, but may try the 12’s first and may deliver as much TR as one could want depending on just how high you turn them up.

Great stuff guys and so cool to see the BOSS taking off like it is
Hey SBuger.....yeah, I definitely think the 12's will be fine. They have respectable excursion and cone mass combined with a smaller profile which makes it more versatile when building a BOSS. Having said that, I don't have any experience with bigger drivers, so if you end up doing Shelby BOSS's (I like the sound of that) with both, would definitely be awesome to hear your opinions on both drivers.

As you've probably gathered by now, the BOSS is mostly about the stiffness of the platform and using the soft isolators to get the jello effect Gorilla Killa showed earlier. That's a great GIF to show what you're trying to accomplish with a BOSS platform....it's like you're floating on a bed of air and feeling every note of bass so naturally as it's happening on the screen or in the music. It's really crazy that something so soft and mushy can be so responsive and respond with such fidelity but it really does. The BOSS responds on demand from the drivers....it's like you're connected to them in some weird way...lol.
SBuger and biga6761 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page