The Hideaway Theater - Page 70 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3294Likes

post #2071 of 3689 Old 05-05-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 712
The Hideaway Theater

Ok. So I have 3 recliners. The distance of for all 3 is a 115”. If I do 3 separate risers would it work as well as a single? Or, mount the driver directly to the frame like @Archaea did?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1

Last edited by Rowan611; 05-05-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Do you guys use DynEQ on your AVR/Pre-amp? I was thinking using DynEQ on the AVR and then on the Behringer DSP amp will double up the curve like having 2 LS filters for lower level listening levels. The difference is on the Behringer, one can play with DynEQ settings where as on the avr, one cannot. Enable these DynEQs along with beq will definitely wobble and shake the h3ll out of us down to low single digit hz
I'm using THX's version of Audyssey DynEQ.....called THX Loudness Plus. As Michael stated, not only does it help with lower frequencies but also higher frequencies and it also shifts more sound to the side and back channels at lower main volume levels to compensate for human hearing sensitivities which I like.

I don't see any problems with combining Audyssey or THX Dynamic EQ's with the Behringer DEQ. Just follow the standard setup routines for your BOSS platform using bass-heavy music or movie clips you're familiar with to ensure your signal chain doesn't clip and your JBL's behave like they should.
post #2073 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks0 View Post
How do you determine phase and delay settings for a BOSS platform?
chucks0.....great to hear your BOSS platform is already delivering the smiles without any fine tuning yet. For phase, Gorilla Killa is correct. It doesn't hurt to try it both ways.....it will sound very natural one way and very wrong the other way. I'm amazed how easy it is to get phase wrong sometimes....either within the amplifier like Gorilla Killa mentioned (I had a similar experience also) or getting plus and minus mixed up anywhere along the signal chain. It doesn't hurt to try it both ways, just to make sure.

For delay, no additional delay is needed beyond what your AVR is already using for your far field subs.
chucks0 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2074 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
Mine is very similar but in the bottom, not the back. I used a single driver from a JBL PB12 on a small baffle in the center. Thinking of a full length baffle that runs the length of the couch and using 3. One under each cushion. Been using a 30hz lpf @24db. Seems pretty good set up that way. Still working on it. Anyway, I don’t want to derail the thread but had comment since I thought I might be the only one!(except @Arch ea).

Hard to get a really good picture...
Poly.....Thanks for posting your BOSS derivative setup! Love it. Not derailing at all...it helps with other BOSS brainstorming ideas anytime pictures are shared with different configurations. There's been 5 derivative BOSS implementations so far that I know of: 1) subs mounted in arms of a couch where there was storage compartments already 2) BOSS platform directly mounted to couch underneath 3) BOSS platform directly mounted to chair 4) BOSS platform directly mounted to the backrest of the chair 5) BOSS platform using heavy passive radiators (SLAPS) in combination with subwoofer drivers to add mass in an attempt to enhance TR.

All great ideas!
post #2075 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 07:01 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
chucks0.....great to hear your BOSS platform is already delivering the smiles without any fine tuning yet. For phase, Gorilla Killa is correct. It doesn't hurt to try it both ways.....it will sound very natural one way and very wrong the other way. I'm amazed how easy it is to get phase wrong sometimes....either within the amplifier like Gorilla Killa mentioned (I had a similar experience also) or getting plus and minus mixed up anywhere along the signal chain. It doesn't hurt to try it both ways, just to make sure.

For delay, no additional delay is needed beyond what your AVR is already using for your far field subs.
Thanks. I inverted the phase as a test and it felt very wrong so changed it back. Currently running with a 40hz crossover with a 6db slope and it feels really natural although I plan to experiment with different crossover settings tonight. Learned a lot from the first build and when I get new seats later this year, the next platform will be even better.
trhought likes this.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
post #2076 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 3634
Going to try out some heavy bass music tracks while the house is empty...like a BOSS.

Going to a rock concert tonight, so stoked for some live music with chest crushing bass.
This video is absurd:
trhought likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #2077 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Quote:
5) BOSS platform using heavy passive radiators (SLAPS) in combination with subwoofer drivers to add mass in an attempt to enhance TR.

All great ideas!

The SLAPS is so far just an idea, but i am up and running with a "normal" 4xJBL BOSS

It has 2 JBL’s pr seat and they are in a push and pull config and countersunk up into the recliner chassis about half the depth of the drivers(as much as it could go) to save maximum heigth.

And i have a single layer MA’s in the rear below the iso’s.

For the money the BOSS is probably a unbeatable TR solution

However, so far it doesn’t match my previous stacked MA and BK combo

But still in testing....
SBuger and trhought like this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #2078 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
Ok. So I have 3 recliners. The distance of for all 3 is a 115”. If I do 3 separate risers would it work as well as a single? Or, mount the driver directly to the frame like @Archaea did?
Rowan....great questions. The BOSS experience will likely be similar with all 3 approaches. If I had to rank each experience from best to good it would probably be:

1. One large platform....not only does this provide the same experience for every chair on the platform, but also, that larger surface area of the BOSS platform will make it more sensitive to sound pressure inside your room from your far field and near field subs adding to the feeling of naturalness the BOSS is known for.
2. 3 separate mini-platforms....experience will be about the same for everyone depending on how closely each platform is constructed like it's mate and setup within the room including isolator placement. Some TR will still be delivered by the far field and near field subs because of the isolated BOSS platform beneath each chair.
3. Drivers mounted directly to the chairs/couch....BOSS experience will be about the same as 2 but not as much TR from the far field subs and nearfield subs since the BOSS platform surface area tends to be the smallest in this configuration.

Also, one other important item to consider is your floor. With suspended floors, sometimes it helps having a larger platform to provide a more natural response. Suspended floors tend to be one-note wonders....meaning they have a natural frequency band that's only 2-5 Hz wide. Depending on where that frequency is centered, it may not feel as natural as having a wider natural frequency band. Having a large suspended BOSS platform will mitigate the unnatural floor bounce in the room and deliver a much wider natural frequency for the seats on top of it resulting in a more natural integration into your room and feeling.

With concrete floors, most of what's lost with smaller BOSS platforms (directly mounted to chairs or directly under each chair) is the additional TR that is provided by far field and near field subs because of the smaller surface areas. With concrete floors, floor bounce isn't a problem, so smaller platforms can still perform quite well because that floor bounce doesn't need to mitigated by a larger BOSS platform.
post #2079 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Hideaway Theater

Quote:
Rowan....great questions. The BOSS experience will likely be similar with all 3 approaches. If I had to rank each experience from best to good it would probably be:

1. One large platform....not only does this provide the same experience for every chair on the platform, but also, that larger surface area of the BOSS platform will make it more sensitive to sound pressure inside your room from your far field and near field subs adding to the feeling of naturalness the BOSS is known for.

2. 3 separate mini-platforms....experience will be about the same for everyone depending on how closely each platform is constructed like it's mate and setup within the room including isolator placement. Some TR will still be delivered by the far field and near field subs because of the isolated BOSS platform beneath each chair.

3. Drivers mounted directly to the chairs/couch....BOSS experience will be about the same as 2 but not as much TR from the far field subs and nearfield subs since the BOSS platform surface area tends to be the smallest in this configuration.

Also, one other important item to consider is your floor. With suspended floors, sometimes it helps having a larger platform to provide a more natural response. Suspended floors tend to be one-note wonders....meaning they have a natural frequency band that's only 2-5 Hz wide. Depending on where that frequency is centered, it may not feel as natural as having a wider natural frequency band. Having a large suspended BOSS platform will mitigate the unnatural floor bounce in the room and deliver a much wider natural frequency for the seats on top of it resulting in a more natural integration into your room and feeling.

With concrete floors, most of what's lost with smaller BOSS platforms (directly mounted to chairs or directly under each chair) is the additional TR that is provided by far field and near field subs because of the smaller surface areas. With concrete floors, floor bounce isn't a problem, so smaller platforms can still perform quite well because that floor bounce doesn't need to mitigated by a larger BOSS platform.

Thanks for replying @trhought . I went with 3 32” platforms cut from 3/4 birch ply. I’m on concrete and I’ll be keeping my Crowsons as well. Might miss the added tactile from my farfield subs....but the idea of moving a 115” platform by myself.....not my idea of fun. These will be much easier to manage.

trhought likes this.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P

Last edited by Rowan611; 05-06-2019 at 08:31 AM.
post #2080 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalleh View Post
The SLAPS is so far just an idea, but i am up and running with a "normal" 4xJBL BOSS

It has 2 JBL’s pr seat and they are in a push and pull config and countersunk up into the recliner chassis about half the depth of the drivers(as much as it could go) to save maximum heigth.

And i have a single layer MA’s in the rear below the iso’s.

For the money the BOSS is probably a unbeatable TR solution

However, so far it doesn’t match my previous stacked MA and BK combo

But still in testing....
That's so awesome Nalleh how you fit 2 drivers into such a small and rigid platform. I like the idea of having these rather small but potent BOSS platforms available for use under different furniture pieces. Pretty clever idea and great engineering to make it all fit and look so nice!

Please keep us updated on your experiences and any other configurations you may come up with including the SLAPS BOSS!
Nalleh likes this.
post #2081 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Going to try out some heavy bass music tracks while the house is empty...like a BOSS.

Going to a rock concert tonight, so stoked for some live music with chest crushing bass.
This video is absurd:
https://youtu.be/vH-KXk8PZc8
Just watched the vid....ROTFL.....like a BOSS!

I pity Deborah and everything that happened to her desk

Let us know how the concert was......you lucky BOSS you!
post #2082 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2621 Post(s)
Liked: 2378
Quote:
Thanks for replying @trhought . I went with 3 32” platforms cut from 3/4 birch ply. I’m on concrete and I’ll be keeping my Crowsons as well. Might miss the added tactile from my farfield subs....but the idea of moving a 115” platform by myself.....not my idea of fun. These will be much easier to manage.

After placing the 3 platforms on your floor, you can join them together with leftover birch ply or some 1x4 making them more rigid as one big platform
post #2083 of 3689 Old 05-06-2019, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Hideaway Theater

I could, and it’s something I did consider. However, the outside chairs are angled in. And, there will be a decent gap between the pieces. I think it would look weird.

I’ll post a pic when I’m done. I have to cut 6” or so off the 48” side and determine the location for each driver. Two of the chairs are the same. So, that should speed that up a bit.

post #2084 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, I ran into an issue last night. I initially thought the drivers would fit under my recliners. Well, they won’t. But, I do have room to place them behind the chairs on the platform. They’d be visible, which doesn’t bother me. My only concern is if they’ll be a effective this way? I’m not sure another 3/4 layer will make any difference. And, there’s no room forward under the chairs either, I already tried. If not I’ll just return what I can.

post #2085 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Poly.....Thanks for posting your BOSS derivative setup! Love it. Not derailing at all...it helps with other BOSS brainstorming ideas anytime pictures are shared with different configurations. There's been 5 derivative BOSS implementations so far that I know of: 1) subs mounted in arms of a couch where there was storage compartments already 2) BOSS platform directly mounted to couch underneath 3) BOSS platform directly mounted to chair 4) BOSS platform directly mounted to the backrest of the chair 5) BOSS platform using heavy passive radiators (SLAPS) in combination with subwoofer drivers to add mass in an attempt to enhance TR.

All great ideas!

Hey thanks. I have 3 subs in my system and FR down to about 14hz, but I’m on concrete. Ugh. While IMO there are benefits to concrete, it eats TR and while I can shake the couch, it’s not so easy. For a long time I’ve thought of different stuff, like a passive riser, or MA’s, etc., even installed some cantilever type boards IN the couch, attached to the frame. The idea with those was supposed to be like a tuning fork that would resonate with LF content. Pretty sure they did nothing lol. My wife’s legs aren’t very long and she nuked my idea for a riser lol, so that was out.
I had seen a diy MA someone made with a deconstructed driver but seemed like it wouldn’t be effective. About that time, I thought of turning my couch into an enclosure for that old unused driver but couldn’t reconcile everything needed for that.
That’s exactly the time I started reading about the BOSS and how it’s basically an IB. Exactly what I needed! I do think the mini riser would be most effective, and non intrusive, but I have to concede to WAF once in awhile, so my plan B is a full length baffle in the couch with 3 drivers. The single driver can be slightly directional from cheek to cheek lol, but nothing like when I ran it crossed at 80 before I could run it through the minidsp. The driver has about an inch of clearance, face down and is wired in reverse. In phase just felt weird. Now I’m trying to work on the balance between my far field subs and couch. So far good TR in the couch seems to take away from the “room” and subs. It seems like a low shelf at maybe 5hz with a steep rise from 25-30hz on down might work best for a natural feel. Maybe? Currently 30hz lpf, and 24db slope.
Anyway, great thread. Love seeing all the ideas in here.
post #2086 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, I ran into an issue last night. I initially thought the drivers would fit under my recliners. Well, they won’t. But, I do have room to place them behind the chairs on the platform. They’d be visible, which doesn’t bother me. My only concern is if they’ll be a effective this way? I’m not sure another 3/4 layer will make any difference. And, there’s no room forward under the chairs either, I already tried. If not I’ll just return what I can.

Rowan....Thanks for the update on your build. No problems with the drivers behind the seats. That's called a cantilevered BOSS and has been used successfully for other BOSS builds.

Below are some special build instructions for a cantilever design from an earlier post.

The closer you can locate the drivers to the back legs of your furniture in a cantilever design, the better. Every inch closer to the back legs means less bending of the platform and more of that driver energy will go into your furniture which is what you want. Getting the drivers closer to the furniture and following the isolator placement special instructions below will provide a great BOSS platform.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
That cantilever is going to cause your platform to bend more than it would if the drivers were spanned in the middle of the platform like a traditional BOSS riser. Moving the isos outward will help keep the platform from bending. That energy can now be used for more up and down movement which is what you want.

Below is a graphic to help illustrate. The top pic shows the isolator right below the chair leg, the triangle labeled B. This will cause the platform to bend. Moving that isolator out towards the edge of the platform as shown in the bottom pic will help keep the platform from bending as the JBL's are moving up and down. That energy can now provide more up and down motion from the JBL's which are shown in blue.

Hope this helps for anyone else considering a cantilever JBL mounting location behind or to the side of your seats.

Changing isolator location with JBL's behind the platform will increase up and down (z-axis) BOSS movement (the bottom picture is what you want to minimize BOSS platform bending):

Last edited by trhought; 05-07-2019 at 07:02 AM.
post #2087 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
no worries for this montage!
I am very satisfied with the result !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9029.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	2563556   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9047.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	2563558   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9048.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	2563560   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9053.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	2563562  
Chris Young and trhought like this.
post #2088 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great! Thank you for the diagram. Getting the drivers close shouldn’t be a problem; I already experimented with that yesterday. Although, my mlp will be more difficult due to its design. However, I’ll be able to get it pretty close.

Thanks for the help again!!

trhought likes this.

post #2089 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyrythm1k View Post
Hey thanks. I have 3 subs in my system and FR down to about 14hz, but I’m on concrete. Ugh. While IMO there are benefits to concrete, it eats TR and while I can shake the couch, it’s not so easy. For a long time I’ve thought of different stuff, like a passive riser, or MA’s, etc., even installed some cantilever type boards IN the couch, attached to the frame. The idea with those was supposed to be like a tuning fork that would resonate with LF content. Pretty sure they did nothing lol. My wife’s legs aren’t very long and she nuked my idea for a riser lol, so that was out.
I had seen a diy MA someone made with a deconstructed driver but seemed like it wouldn’t be effective. About that time, I thought of turning my couch into an enclosure for that old unused driver but couldn’t reconcile everything needed for that.
That’s exactly the time I started reading about the BOSS and how it’s basically an IB. Exactly what I needed! I do think the mini riser would be most effective, and non intrusive, but I have to concede to WAF once in awhile, so my plan B is a full length baffle in the couch with 3 drivers. The single driver can be slightly directional from cheek to cheek lol, but nothing like when I ran it crossed at 80 before I could run it through the minidsp. The driver has about an inch of clearance, face down and is wired in reverse. In phase just felt weird. Now I’m trying to work on the balance between my far field subs and couch. So far good TR in the couch seems to take away from the “room” and subs. It seems like a low shelf at maybe 5hz with a steep rise from 25-30hz on down might work best for a natural feel. Maybe? Currently 30hz lpf, and 24db slope.
Anyway, great thread. Love seeing all the ideas in here.
Poly....Thanks for the update on your BOSS build and additional details about your room and far field blending. Good idea on the "tuning fork" design concept inside the couch....now that's thinking outside the box!

Great to hear you're getting good TR with the BOSS baffle mounted to your couch. That's always the biggest challenge on concrete....getting ULF TR to the butt The advantage of concrete is there's no floor bounce to have to mitigate if it doesn't feel natural.

So now with your BOSS platform, you can control the bounce and tune it accordingly for what feels right. I didn't see mention if you have the rubber isolators prescribed in post 29. If not, I'd recommend putting those underneath your couch between the feet and the floor. That will help with the BOSS tuning also. Once you have the isolators underneath the couch feet, it's just a matter of additional fine tuning like you're doing now.

Some members with stiff couches and firm leather cushions have found LPF's lower than 30Hz and sometimes even lower than 20Hz have made the BOSS experience more natural.

Others with older and not-so-stiff furniture frames and cloth seats have found LPF's up to 80Hz to feel natural. So, I think the LPF setting depends largely on the type of furniture, cushions and coverings also. Having the ability to apply LS filters for the single digits using the mini-DSP is icing on the cake!

Hope some of this feedback helps.
post #2090 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked: 3691
@Nalleh

you have the drivers running out of phase with each other I assume right? If they are in phase vertically they'd actually be cancelling each other's movement out since the cones are facing the same direction. You'd need to run the top out of phase with the bottom.

Also do yo have the 20 durometer rubber ISO feet? That makes a tremendous difference. ---- tremendous.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #2091 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 08:15 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I finished building the BOSS riser for my back row. Now I just have to wait for more GT-X1200 to get back in stock at end of June
NB: The platform is level. The camera makes it look like it bulges upwards at the middle?

post #2092 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^^ Looks great @eeyoreDK ! Your carpentry skills and platform designs continue to impress! That's going to be a nice compliment to your front row BOSS platform!

Can't wait to see some pictures when your room is finished.....Looking great!
eeyoreDK likes this.
post #2093 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 314 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
@Nalleh

you have the drivers running out of phase with each other I assume right? If they are in phase vertically they'd actually be cancelling each other's movement out since the cones are facing the same direction. You'd need to run the top out of phase with the bottom.

Also do yo have the 20 durometer rubber ISO feet? That makes a tremendous difference. ---- tremendous.
Yes, and yes.

Top one out of phase and use the Hudson iso’s.

The reason it can’t top my old config is it wasn’t a small, simple setup, i had 6xMA in a 2x3 stacked config with 4xBK’s(which is 12lb of slugs pumping compared to less than 1 pound now) also on Hudson iso’s and 8000W of NU6K for TR alone!
Archaea likes this.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #2094 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked: 3691
Quote:
Yes, and yes.

Top one out of phase and use the Hudson iso’s.

The reason it can’t top my old config is it wasn’t a small, simple setup, i had 6xMA in a 2x3 stacked config with 4xBK’s(which is 12lb of slugs pumping compared to less than 1 pound now) also on Hudson iso’s and 8000W of NU6K for TR alone!

That'd be fun to experience, but my experience with buttkickers is that they feel like metal slugs bouncing and not subwoofer drivers. The BOSS platform feels much more natural to me vs. the buttkickers I've felt -- and even the Crowsons I've felt. Is your experience different there?

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #2095 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 3634
Quote:

I think everyone would have to experience your setup to understand how much TR power it has. The BOSS does work great for most of us, but you are definitely a special case that could see a net loss in TR without a ton of drivers to make up for all that power.

I like the BOSS a lot, but I’m feeling less of an addition in TR below 15-20Hz than would be expected when combined with my pair of MA’s (Crowsons should excel here for the price). You’ve got 6 MA’s and 4 BK’s to give you a ridiculous amount of TR across their bandwidth, so I can’t imagine how difficult that is to try and improve upon. But 20-35Hz where I run the JBL’s hard, and where some of the choicest bass resides, these little 12” drivers really shine for me.

I think the few people in your situation would need a ton of drivers, maybe 8-12 or more, to make up for the lost energy. I know @DesertDog has 8 and I think @aron7awol has 6 or more now

How many people are running more than 3 drivers in their BOSS?

I’m curious what an additional 3 drivers would provide in my setup, but I honestly don’t need any more TR at this point.
SBuger and Nalleh like this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #2096 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:

I had the same problem with my seats and went with the cantilevered design. I cannot compare it directly to under the seat designs but I can't imagine there is much difference. In other words it works very well indeed! Now that I have seen some low profile drivers I am thinking about adding those under the seats and see what shakes out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2563626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	846.1 KB
ID:	2563628   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	876.0 KB
ID:	2563630  
Ladeback likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #2097 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
I think everyone would have to experience your setup to understand how much TR power it has. The BOSS does work great for most of us, but you are definitely a special case that could see a net loss in TR without a ton of drivers to make up for all that power.

I like the BOSS a lot, but I’m feeling less of an addition in TR below 15-20Hz than would be expected when combined with my pair of MA’s (Crowsons should excel here for the price). You’ve got 6 MA’s and 4 BK’s to give you a ridiculous amount of TR across their bandwidth, so I can’t imagine how difficult that is to try and improve upon. But 20-35Hz where I run the JBL’s hard, and where some of the choicest bass resides, these little 12” drivers really shine for me.

I think the few people in your situation would need a ton of drivers, maybe 8-12 or more, to make up for the lost energy. I know @DesertDog has 8 and I think @aron7awol has 6 or more now

How many people are running more than 3 drivers in their BOSS?

I’m curious what an additional 3 drivers would provide in my setup, but I honestly don’t need any more TR at this point.
Now that I have seen those low profile 12" MB Quart's I think I'll add them to my platform for a total of 6 drivers per platform. I will have to cut the holes with a jigsaw/handsaw so the holes won't be pretty but that's life. I guess I could install them facing up and just run them out of phase with the JBL's.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #2098 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Hideaway Theater

@brazensol

Man that’s a tall riser. Is that 3 thick?

brazensol likes this.

post #2099 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Rowan611 This one is for my back row of seats and I needed to raise them a bit for sight line clearance for the 2nd row (my fat head was blocking a bit of the lower image for the middle seat in the second row (wife's seat ) ). Since I made the 1st row out of 2 layers of 1" thick sheets of plywood the back row needed to be higher still. It ended up being ~4.25"; 2 1" sheets of plywood, a 1" block under the seat legs, another 1/2" for the block that "captures" the seat feet to prevent them from moving around, and, finally a 3/4" block on the bottom to give the ISO's the proper 1" clearance off the floor. It looks a bit ungainly but is not noticeable at all with the lights off...

Denali Cinema
post #2100 of 3689 Old 05-07-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So I think I found a decent price on the MBQuart's and ordered 6 of them. Shipping was reasonable at only 11.00 each. Be here Friday!

Denali Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page