The Hideaway Theater - Page 71 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3268Likes

post #2101 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Anyone know the best price for an iNuke 6000DSP?

Would a 3000DSP be sufficient?

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers

Last edited by brazensol; 05-07-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
How many people are running more than 3 drivers in their BOSS?
Hopefully, I get some time to build my 8 drivers/ 4 seats miniboss this weekend. I got all the ingredients more than a month ago.
Nalleh and Sekosche like this.
post #2103 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked: 3451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That'd be fun to experience, but my experience with buttkickers is that they feel like metal slugs bouncing and not subwoofer drivers. The BOSS platform feels much more natural to me vs. the buttkickers I've felt -- and even the Crowsons I've felt. Is your experience different there?
It was defenitely the best my setup has sounded.. or felt maybe is more correctly

There are pros and cons to the BK. The 2 things i don’t like about them is they bottom out at about 15 down to 8 hz. Easily fixed woth a negative PEQ. The other is they can make some noise, like if there is a silent part of a movie, but with some LFE sounds. Then you can hear them work.
But the sheer brutality of them and the visceral feeling they can give is unparalleled ! Like the opening of The Meg and the submarine resque, they are insane. And my current BOSS can’t touch that feeling.
So yeah, i love the BK’s and made them work extremly well in my setup and in combo with the MA’s, so it can be done
And the MA’s are of course unrivaled in the single digits. There is a difference between being shaken and being lifted.

But like i said, i am impressed by the BOSS, i NEVER thought some speaker cones could move the couch as good as they do, but i simply think it is a unfair comparison

Quote:
I think everyone would have to experience your setup to understand how much TR power it has. The BOSS does work great for most of us, but you are definitely a special case that could see a net loss in TR without a ton of drivers to make up for all that power.

I like the BOSS a lot, but I’m feeling less of an addition in TR below 15-20Hz than would be expected when combined with my pair of MA’s (Crowsons should excel here for the price). You’ve got 6 MA’s and 4 BK’s to give you a ridiculous amount of TR across their bandwidth, so I can’t imagine how difficult that is to try and improve upon. But 20-35Hz where I run the JBL’s hard, and where some of the choicest bass resides, these little 12” drivers really shine for me.

I think the few people in your situation would need a ton of drivers, maybe 8-12 or more, to make up for the lost energy. I know @DesertDog has 8 and I think @aron7awol has 6 or more now

How many people are running more than 3 drivers in their BOSS?

I’m curious what an additional 3 drivers would provide in my setup, but I honestly don’t need any more TR at this point.
Exactly and i agree, between 20(maybe down to ~15) and 30hz the BOSS is more in the optimal work area for the BOSS(at least so far in my setup).

I guess most have 3 drivers across multiple seat couches, and that could work just fine, but another way of looking at it is how many drivers pr seat. And as such, even though i have only 4 drivers, it is also just a 2 seat couch, so 2 drivers pr seat.

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 12xJBL 12" w/6xSLAPS M12 downfiring VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2104 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 3634
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post

Yes, an iNuke 3K has enough power for most any BOSS build and you can always bridge it for more headroom. It depends on how many drivers and which way you wire them, but the 6K will most likely be overkill for the few hundred watts needed to drive 3 in series, if that’s your goal. I’m not sure the exact power output into a 12ohm load from the 3K per side, but I’m guessing it’s enough to run all 3 drivers per channel at the recommended 80watts, but if not, bridged mode will be more than adequate.
brazensol likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #2105 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 1892
I wish we all lived in the same area to try out everyone's set-ups. I'd love to feel what @Nalleh or @SBuger have going to compare to and know what to shoot for.

I posted this in the BEQ thread but mentioning here too. I watched Solo last night for the first time since I started BEQing and built the BOSS-sac. I think it might be my best BOSS movie so far. There wasn't anything major bass wise from it but there was a ton of little accent bass throughout the movie. It felt like the BOSS added more to the experience over having just subs then anything else that I've watched so far.
Nalleh likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #2106 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I have to give a big thanks to @DesertDog for the link to this thread in a reply from a post in the BEQ thread yesterday. But I guess the real thanks is to @trhought for starting the thread.

Wow!!!!! And then double wow! I've been thumbing through this thread for the last couple hours. The I need to build one 'heart-beat' is racing and pounding inside me now. I foresee a mini BOSS will be replacing the two Aura shakers I have already.

I read everywhere of using JBL 12" drivers. Any particular models work better than others?
Also, currently I drive my two Aura shakers with an Audiosource AMP 100 - 75 watts/channel @ 4 ohms. From reading, it sounds like this should work. Anybody use an amp like this yet?
DesertDog, trhought and Sekosche like this.

Sony 75X940E, Denon X6200w, Sony X700, Roku Ultra, MiniDSP 2x4HD
Parasound (2x)HCA-855a, HCA-750a, Sony ES4300, BKA-1000 & -300
Mission 705a L&R, dual 70c3 C, 703 SL&SR, 705 BL&BR, (4x)Yamaha NSIC800 Atmos
LFE- Front: M&K MX-200 & MX-150THX; Rear: (2x)M&K V-75's
ULF- Bk LFE(4x) & Advance + Aura shakers(2x) + Mini-riser BOSS(8x12" JBL's)
post #2107 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 3634
The Hideaway Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post

I read everywhere of using JBL 12" drivers. Any particular models work better than others?

Also, currently I drive my two Aura shakers with an Audiosource AMP 100 - 75 watts/channel @ 4 ohms. From reading, it sounds like this should work. Anybody use an amp like this yet?

Congrats on finding this thread! I can only surmise a BOSS would be a big step up in providing a more natural and accurate TR over your Aura shakers, but how much more TR is hard to say having no experience with those myself.

Most are using a variation of this particular driver and finding them often on sale from $29-60 each, CX1200 or GX1200 either one works just different dust caps, check Amazon and Walmart too; a few people recently mentioned the drivers are on backorder at some sites. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/jbl-cx-...?skuId=8480035

There’s also a couple different low profile drivers people have implemented in their BOSS.

I’m using a variant of that amp for two of my Atmos speakers, and while it has enough power to drive one of these 12” JBL speakers, if you want more than that, you’ll need another amp; but it should work well for this purpose. I think those Audiosource amps have a bridge mode feature so maybe look into that if you need a little more power or into the iNuke/NX series amps . If you’re just doing a single seat, one driver should be enough, otherwise you’ll definitely want a few.

Do you have a way to EQ a LPF below the speaker crossover? Perhaps a miniDSP I assume if you came from the BEQ thread. Also, if you’re not already using some, grab some of the 2.5” soft Hudson isolation feet.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast

Last edited by Sekosche; 05-07-2019 at 03:44 PM.
post #2108 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Congrats on finding this thread!...

I’m using a variant of that amp for two of my Atmos speakers, and while it has enough power to drive one of these 12” JBL speakers, if you want more than that, you’ll need another amp; but it should work well for this purpose. I think those Audiosource amps have a bridge mode feature so maybe look into that if you need a little more power or into the iNuke/NX series amps . If your just doing a single seat, one driver should be enough, otherwise you’ll definitely want a few.

Do you have a way to EQ a LPF below the speaker crossover? Perhaps a miniDSP I assume if you came from the BEQ thread. Also, if you’re not already using some, grab some of the 2.5” soft Hudson isolation feet.
Thanks for your thoughts about amplifier power. I've always thought that amp was a bit shy on the power side for even driving the shakers.
To answer your question about the MiniDSP. Yes, I have a 2x4 HD I plan to implement in this room so it'll be pretty easy to set a much lower LPF for the new BOSS.
I just added the regular 2x4 model into my family room. What a difference and I cant wait to get the HD model hooked up downstairs in the movie room.

And the isolation feet. I just added a set to my movie room couch this last Sunday. My wife thought I turned up the volume on the shaker amp. For less than $20, what a difference!
Sekosche likes this.

Sony 75X940E, Denon X6200w, Sony X700, Roku Ultra, MiniDSP 2x4HD
Parasound (2x)HCA-855a, HCA-750a, Sony ES4300, BKA-1000 & -300
Mission 705a L&R, dual 70c3 C, 703 SL&SR, 705 BL&BR, (4x)Yamaha NSIC800 Atmos
LFE- Front: M&K MX-200 & MX-150THX; Rear: (2x)M&K V-75's
ULF- Bk LFE(4x) & Advance + Aura shakers(2x) + Mini-riser BOSS(8x12" JBL's)
post #2109 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:

Hey brazensol......3000DSP will be plenty. When I modeled the MBQuart's below, it only takes about 20 watts of power to reach Xmax. One channel of the 3000DSP will provide ~444 watts rms into the 5.4 ohms when wiring them like the diagram I posted a few days ago. That will provide ~74 watts per MBQuart driver...plenty of power and you'll still have another channel left for something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Archaea.....Thanks....below is the WinISD model when using the T/S parameters you provided. This is the excursion vs. frequency plot. Red is the MBQuart and Blue is the JBL. The MBQuart reaches Xmax of 9mm with ~20 watts of power while the JBL takes about 80 watts. It's MMS is 86% of the JBL while Xmax is 60% of the JBL. The JBL has a published Xmax of 12mm but it's Xmech has been tested to 15mm. If the Xmech of the MBQuart is higher than 9mm that will certainly help. It's moving mass is close enough.

Hope this helps.

brazensol likes this.
post #2110 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I wish we all lived in the same area to try out everyone's set-ups. I'd love to feel what @Nalleh or @SBuger have going to compare to and know what to shoot for.

I posted this in the BEQ thread but mentioning here too. I watched Solo last night for the first time since I started BEQing and built the BOSS-sac. I think it might be my best BOSS movie so far. There wasn't anything major bass wise from it but there was a ton of little accent bass throughout the movie. It felt like the BOSS added more to the experience over having just subs then anything else that I've watched so far.
DesertDog....Thanks for the review on Solo with the BOSS. In honor of May the 4th, we watched "Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi" this weekend with re-muxed BEQ. Loved what the BOSS and BEQ brought to both experiences. The last time we saw both, there were no BOSS platforms in our theater and no BEQ. What a difference this time around! The Force Awakens was better than The Last Jedi, both theatrically and ULF wise.

So pumped now to hear Solo was great with BEQ. Looking forward to that one and "Rogue One" this week....can't wait!
post #2111 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
I have to give a big thanks to @DesertDog for the link to this thread in a reply from a post in the BEQ thread yesterday. But I guess the real thanks is to @trhought for starting the thread.

Wow!!!!! And then double wow! I've been thumbing through this thread for the last couple hours. The I need to build one 'heart-beat' is racing and pounding inside me now. I foresee a mini BOSS will be replacing the two Aura shakers I have already.

Kevnmin.....welcome aboard the BOSS train and a big Thanks to @DesertDog for pointing you here. Exciting to hear you're pumped up for your BOSS build. That's what the BOSS is all about.....bringing the elusive and once-expensive single digit ULF TR experience to our home theaters at unbelievable price points.

I still get a big smile on my face when the BOSS is doing its job and making everyone in our theater smile when the ground is moving below us. It's almost too good to be true what I spent on the BOSS and the smiles it delivers every day!

In addition to the great advice you've already gotten about your Audiosource amps and sources for the JBL speakers, let us know what other questions you may have as your BOSS design starts to come into focus.

Welcome aboard!
Kevnmin likes this.
post #2112 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
I had the same problem with my seats and went with the cantilevered design. I cannot compare it directly to under the seat designs but I can't imagine there is much difference. In other words it works very well indeed! Now that I have seen some low profile drivers I am thinking about adding those under the seats and see what shakes out...
Very cool indeed. Would need to build something like this for my ht chairs as there is no room underneath. I think I know the answer but I’ll ask anyway. Is it possible to build a top to hide the drivers? Not totally enclosed but just partially? My ht chairs are in the middle of the room so the back is very visible. Thanks
post #2113 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 05:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
Very cool indeed. Would need to build something like this for my ht chairs as there is no room underneath. I think I know the answer but I’ll ask anyway. Is it possible to build a top to hide the drivers? Not totally enclosed but just partially? My ht chairs are in the middle of the room so the back is very visible. Thanks

My chairs are also in very visible. But, I think it’s going to look interesting when finished. I’m trying to decide if I paint the base with duratex or use the left over carpet from the room. But, you might end up drawing more attention to them by trying to hide them. But, maybe not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #2114 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked: 3678
Quote:

Careful....
Anything you use to try to hide the driver may end up starting to act like like a subwoofer box and so taking away the desirable low SPL trait inherit to the BOSS open baffle design.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #2115 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
My chairs are also in very visible. But, I think it’s going to look interesting when finished. I’m trying to decide if I paint the base with duratex or use the left over carpet from the room. But, you might end up drawing more attention to them by trying to hide them. But, maybe not.

I’m just thinking a box that runs the length of my 3 chairs. So a back, sides and a top using duratex. My chairs are black leather. Would resemble nearfield subs but smaller.
post #2116 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Careful....
Anything you use to try to hide the driver may end up starting to act like like a subwoofer box and so taking away the desirable low SPL trait inherit to the BOSS open baffle design.

Ok that’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info.
post #2117 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
I see no reason why you couldn't build something to hide the drivers. I was thinking of something simple like this made out of 1 x 6's and or 1 x 8's to hide mine. Just remember to use screws and glue so it stays put. To keep it from potentially acting like a box you could just drill holes in the vertical piece (with a hole saw - say 1" or so). You could then glue/staple some landscaping mesh (or some black material) to mostly conceal anything from being visible through the holes. But with one entire side open I don't think it will be a problem...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOSS Driver Cover.PNG
Views:	37
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	2563934  
keeper and trhought like this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers

Last edited by brazensol; 05-07-2019 at 05:29 PM.
post #2118 of 3645 Old 05-07-2019, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked: 2299
I got my second mini boss all setup on my second couch and it is working just as good as the first.

The only time that couch is used is when we have neighbors or family over for movie night. I will likely keep it turned off unless someone is over.

Next project is building one for my video game system. In the back of my main theater room I have a 65 inch TV and a 5.2 system made up of DIY Soundgroup Volt 10’s for LCR and Volt 6’s for surrounds. Subs are 2 SVS SB13 ultras. I have a racing seat/wheel system and a BOSS should really add to the realism. I checked and there is room for a JBL under the racing seat. That would give me just one sub on a platform that is probably going to be 2ft wide and 5ft long. I am not sure if that is going to be enough. The only other place I could put another driver is behind the seat.
Sekosche likes this.
post #2119 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I got my second mini boss all setup on my second couch and it is working just as good as the first.

The only time that couch is used is when we have neighbors or family over for movie night. I will likely keep it turned off unless someone is over.

Next project is building one for my video game system. In the back of my main theater room I have a 65 inch TV and a 5.2 system made up of DIY Soundgroup Volt 10’s for LCR and Volt 6’s for surrounds. Subs are 2 SVS SB13 ultras. I have a racing seat/wheel system and a BOSS should really add to the realism. I checked and there is room for a JBL under the racing seat. That would give me just one sub on a platform that is probably going to be 2ft wide and 5ft long. I am not sure if that is going to be enough. The only other place I could put another driver is behind the seat.
Ray. Thanks for the update. Great to hear your second BOSS platform is up and going!

For your gaming chair, have you considered the MBQuart drivers. With their low profile, you may be able to get 2 or even the target 3 drivers underneath the chair for the optimum BOSS experience.

And, they only need about 20 watts each to do the job in a BOSS configuration, so any spare amp or low cost amp would be perfect for the job if you don't already have one....just an idea I wanted to share.
post #2120 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ray. Thanks for the update. Great to hear your second BOSS platform is up and going!

For your gaming chair, have you considered the MBQuart drivers. With their low profile, you may be able to get 2 or even the target 3 drivers underneath the chair for the optimum BOSS experience.

And, they only need about 20 watts each to do the job in a BOSS configuration, so any spare amp or low cost amp would be perfect for the job if you don't already have one....just an idea I wanted to share.
Hi - that could be a possibility.

Do you have a link for these drivers?

Here is a picture of the racing seat I have. There isn't much space underneath, I may be able to put some on the sides or behind it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	racing chair.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	2564076  

Last edited by raynist; 05-08-2019 at 06:00 AM.
post #2121 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 06:10 AM

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked: 3678
Quote:
Hi - that could be a possibility.

Do you have a link for these drivers?

Here is a picture of the racing seat I have. There isn't much space underneath, I may be able to put some on the sides or behind it.

My friend has such a setup for VR racing. He has a tactile transducer on each of the four corners and software that gives each one feedback individually. It’s amazing. If you haven’t heard of such I can get you the name.

MB Quart shallow mount subwoofers. The cheapest I found them was at Sonicelectronix.
No tax, free shipping, and multipack options.

There a 10% off coupon code at the top of the page.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/lp/s...uart%20Shallow
trhought likes this.

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #2122 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My friend has such a setup for VR racing. He has a tactile transducer on each of the four corners and software that gives each one feedback individually. It’s amazing. If you haven’t heard of such I can get you the name.

MB Quart shallow mount subwoofers. The cheapest I found them was at Sonicelectronix.
No tax, free shipping, and multipack options.

There a 10% off coupon code at the top of the page.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/lp/s...uart%20Shallow
Thanks!

I just have this setup for Xbox One X and PS4 pro. No PC right now which I am sure you need for a setup like your friend has. I may go down that road though at some point if you can let me know the name.

Has anyone used the MB quart drivers yet? I am still catching up on this thread and am about 400 posts behind. Are people using the 800, 400 or 200 watt versions?
post #2123 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!

I just have this setup for Xbox One X and PS4 pro. No PC right now which I am sure you need for a setup like your friend has. I may go down that road though at some point if you can let me know the name.

Has anyone used the MB quart drivers yet? I am still catching up on this thread and am about 400 posts behind. Are people using the 800, 400 or 200 watt versions?
Ray....Thanks...the MBQuart driver that @Archaea and @brazensol are using is the DS1-304 driver. This is the same driver I modeled above that only needs 20 watts to reach X-max in an open baffle configuration like the BOSS. It's the one rated for 300 watts RMS and 600 watts peak in a traditional speaker box.

Archaea is currently using these drivers for his BOSS platforms and brasensol just ordered his to supplement the JBL's he has already.

Hope this helps.
post #2124 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1819
Getting closer to my Solo Boss(?) The MB came in last night, and now I have to manufacture a bracket. My intent is to have the MB facing up towards the MLP.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190507_195005.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	462.5 KB
ID:	2564090  
Sekosche likes this.
post #2125 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Getting closer to my Solo Boss(?) The MB came in last night, and now I have to manufacture a bracket. My intent is to have the MB facing up towards the MLP.
Looks great lizrussspike! Is that the MBQuart DS1-304 also? Looking forward to hearing your impressions once you achieve lift-off with your "Solo BOSS"
post #2126 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Hi, I'm interested in the mini riser (the full one would be too tall for the front row), but I checked my seats and the reclining mechanism gets in the way - see attached image. It seems like this is a common problem.

Does anyone have any ideas to get around this? It looks like there might be enough space to the left or right of that silver bar for the driver, but then it wouldn't be in the middle of the seat. Would that be a problem?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190508_095310.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2564118  

Speakers: Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL Towers & Horizon w/ Mapleshade 4" Maple Platforms & Brass Heavyfeet ・ Ascend Sierra Luna satellitesRythmik FV18 aluminum cone subwoofer x2 ・ JBL GX-1200 subwoofer x5 direct mounted to seats
Components: Anthem MRX 720 ・ miniDSP DDRC-88BM with Dirac Live ・ Anthem Statement P5 ・ JVC DLA-RS540
post #2127 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink soda View Post
Hi, I'm interested in the mini riser (the full one would be too tall for the front row), but I checked my seats and the reclining mechanism gets in the way - see attached image. It seems like this is a common problem.

Does anyone have any ideas to get around this? It looks like there might be enough space to the left or right of that silver bar for the driver, but then it wouldn't be in the middle of the seat. Would that be a problem?

You could place the driver behind the seat like several have done; as I have to do.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #2128 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 08:07 AM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 2149
Or in the back of the chair?
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
post #2129 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink soda View Post

pink soda.....good question. There's several solutions to this interference issue. 1) the cantilevered BOSS with the JBL driver behind your recliner as mentioned a few posts above and detailed in the cantilever diagram I posted 2) The MBQuart driver which is only 3.5" tall for space-constrained applications like yours 3) Adding another 3/4" thick sheet of plywood that's glued and screwed together with the first sheet of plywood. This will give you a 1.5" thick platform which reduces the overall driver height by another 3/4" if space is that tight. 4) place the driver in the back rest of the recliner if you are comfortable with minor surgery to the chair.

The best way to figure out what will work is to buy a driver and start to experiment with placement. Tilt your recliner up, place the driver underneath and slowly lower the recliner until it hits the magnet. Measure the distance between the bottom of the recliner to the floor. That will be the thickness your BOSS platform will have to be.

If that platform thickness is too high for your needs, then a cantilever BOSS design will work if you have space behind your recliner and don't mind the driver being visible back there.

Regarding the off-center location of the driver, as long as the BOSS platform is rigid and not very flexible and your isolators are placed as prescribed in Post 29, your BOSS experience will be great.

Hope this helps.
post #2130 of 3645 Old 05-08-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 2518 Post(s)
Liked: 2149
Quote:
4) place the driver in the back rest of the recliner if you are comfortable with minor surgery to the chair.
It looks like his lower back panel is Velcroed in place. All I had to do was pry up a plastic strip of a row of nails (a very clever arrangement, I must admit). Just tapped everything back down when I was done.
Michael
trhought and Nalleh like this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
Don't guess, measure: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...l#post22789786
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page