The Hideaway Theater - Page 74 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2735Likes

post #2191 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
Diy isolators silicone thread is up in diy subwoofers.
Imho plate stiffness is good with 1 inch plate glass and subwoofer holes cut with water jet but since i am in Mexico i am limited to wood ortherwise a 1 ton marble slab with water jet subwoofer holes cut is a stiffness platform

^^^^ A designer BOSS platform made from marble or glass would be really cool....probably more WAF also!

Going to check out the DIY isolator thread now....Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Here's a list of drivers that have been tried and worked so far to my knowledge:

JBL CX1200 - 12" driver sold at Best Buy and used for the original BOSS platform development
JBL GX1200 - 12" replacement driver - newer model replacing the CX1200
JBL CS1214 - 12" driver sold at WalMart and other locations...same as the 2 Best Buy drivers above
JBL GT-X1200 - 12" JBL model number available in Europe....same as the first 3 drivers listed, just another different model number
JBL GT5-12 - another 12" driver available overseas for BOSS builds in Europe
MBQuart DS1-304 - low profile 12" driver that's only 3.5" tall instead of the normal 6.125" height for the first 3 JBL's above
Dayon Classic 15 Subwoofer - a larger subwoofer with great reports on performance for a single chair BOSS setup

May have missed some, if anyone has used drivers other than above successfully for your BOSS platform, let me know and I'll update the list.

@cobr ......if you have any other drivers in mind, just let me know the model number and I'll model them to see if they're a good BOSS surrogate.

I used the JBL Stage 1210, it's 20€ cheaper than the GT-X1200, generally more available in Germany at least and the T/S parameters are pretty similar (the only difference is that the moving mass on the Stage drivers is a little lower and thus Fs a little higher; can always add mass thou..!). And the basket looks cooler
I might try to tape some weights to the drivers just to see how it changes the outcome. Can imagine that this would be a decent idea since most people LPF it between 20-30Hz and you end up being excursion limited before you're power limited. More mass means less excursion for the same tactile result but reduced SPL and wind noise. That way we could optimize the drivers towards our use. In the end we're using a product which is meant to reproduce sound for shaking our bums. This could take the BOSS a step closer to Crowson feeling.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #2193 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
So, I'm putting in a offer on a new house tomorrow, will have a closed room 14 x 20 x 9.5... If we end up getting it of course.... I think I'm gonna give this a try.
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...eries/TS-W304R I can get those for 46$ CDN... any pro or cons?

https://us.hertzaudiovideo.com/speak...s-dieci-ds30-3 or that for 66$ cdn... 16mm xmax? seems like a lot for a cheapy.
Ever decide on which drivers to get (in Canada)?

I'll be starting my own BOSS soon even though I have Aura shakers and a Behringer B1200D nearfield sub.

My plan is to get rid of the shakers and Behringer, move the 4 x 15's to behind the main seats and run a BOSS platform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2194 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
These two coupons still do if you checkout with singles.

MAY20 ($20 off $200) and TEN4U (10% off)

I just verified this moment, see screenprints.
Interesting given I called them and was told the MBQuarts were not included in any discounts. Hmmm

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #2195 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
I used the JBL Stage 1210, it's 20€ cheaper than the GT-X1200, generally more available in Germany at least and the T/S parameters are pretty similar (the only difference is that the moving mass on the Stage drivers is a little lower and thus Fs a little higher; can always add mass thou..!). And the basket looks cooler
I might try to tape some weights to the drivers just to see how it changes the outcome. Can imagine that this would be a decent idea since most people LPF it between 20-30Hz and you end up being excursion limited before you're power limited. More mass means less excursion for the same tactile result but reduced SPL and wind noise. That way we could optimize the drivers towards our use. In the end we're using a product which is meant to reproduce sound for shaking our bums. This could take the BOSS a step closer to Crowson feeling.
peniku....Thanks for the additional driver information....I'll update the BOSS driver list accordingly.

Regarding extra mass......yes, yes and yes. If you decide to do it, please report the results. I was going to do some more BOSS experiments after summer is over when I get bored and start looking for indoor projects.

The idea was to take some thick plumber's solder.....like the link below and glue it around the perimeter of the dust cap on some extra JBL's. This should add about 20% more mass to the driver. If that measures to be directionally good and works OK, then I would glue another layer going around the first layer of solder to add another 20% mass and re-measure, etc. etc. At only $29 per driver....would be a cheap experiment to understand the effects on TR and also longer-term reliability of the driver with the extra mass.

Very much looking forward to your results if your try adding mass.

https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-21018-W...strial&sr=1-12
post #2196 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
...At only $29 per driver....would be a cheap experiment to understand the effects on TR and also longer-term reliability of the driver with the extra mass.
Let's hope they are not on to us Tim! Been hammering that site to see when they might do another 29 bucker.

Do you think the MB will diminish the sensation over the JBL? I do like the shallow mounting depth.

Thanks, Casey
post #2197 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I was going to do some more BOSS experiments after summer is over when I get bored and start looking for indoor projects.
You live in LA....you're summer never really ends.

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.
T. E. Lawrence
post #2198 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Now that would be pretty cool if it was a white Easter today....Hoping the snow goes away for you this spring so you don't have to keep clearing a patch for wood working. It's always a real treat when it does snow down here, but it's totally different when you have to live with it for weeks and months on end....used to live in the midwest and with no sun and snow that never melted, it was rather gloomy at times.

Hoping for more sunny days and less snow for you up there!
Snow? I know its that white stuff on the inside of the freezer when we are preparing lemonade to combat 44 degree centigrade Friday ?I know what Snow is but its hot today thus a much later update on my diy isolators silicone thread .
Trade you some Snow for some of this heat that killed my minisplit ac, waiting on new minisplit ac install on Saturday sigh its hot today .

Yamaha avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount.
Pending create diy riser Bass shakers , buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains get new 4k projector
I can hear my wallet screaming already
post #2199 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falonious View Post
thats the north pole compared to my 110 to 120 farenheight sunny days

Yamaha avr, diy l c r surround Behringer nx3000 dsp Fi car audio ib318 v2 310 cubic foot concrete ib lg pf 1500 projector.steren projector mount.
Pending create diy riser Bass shakers , buy fourty 6 inch drivers for some new mains get new 4k projector
I can hear my wallet screaming already
post #2200 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyH71 View Post
Let's hope they are not on to us Tim! Been hammering that site to see when they might do another 29 bucker.

Do you think the MB will diminish the sensation over the JBL? I do like the shallow mounting depth.

Thanks, Casey
Yeah, let's hope not They're due for another sale any day now! Have you tried the walmart.com site....it's the CS1214 driver there per below link.

It's showing them at $42.55 each....not sure if that's just locally though.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CS1214-10...oofer/49712807
CaseyH71 likes this.
post #2201 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falonious View Post
Good Point....down here, it's rainy season from November through February.....although someone forgot to tell Mother Nature the last few days. We've had 7 inches of rain so far in the last 2 days and another 3 inches forecasted for the next 24 hours. The joys of living close to the Gulf of Mexico!

With swim season, it seems we're always outside during the summer until it's dark and then I fall asleep when I get into the house.
post #2202 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post
Snow? I know its that white stuff on the inside of the freezer when we are preparing lemonade to combat 44 degree centigrade Friday ?I know what Snow is but its hot today thus a much later update on my diy isolators silicone thread .
Trade you some Snow for some of this heat that killed my minisplit ac, waiting on new minisplit ac install on Saturday sigh its hot today .
Russsel.....that's a bummer about your mini-split. Hoping you're keeping cool until it gets replaced. That kind of heat can be dangerous! Hang in there!
Russell Burrows likes this.
post #2203 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked: 3352
Quote:

Regarding extra mass......yes, yes and yes. If you decide to do it, please report the results. I was going to do some more BOSS experiments after summer is over when I get bored and start looking for indoor projects.

[/URL]

Interesting idea about adding solder! Let us know how it goes. I’d be a little hesitant to throw off the balance of the driver though.

Too bad we can’t just add metal washers like on a passive radiator. A PR BOSS build for pure TR would be awesome, but would definitely need a larger riser. @Nalleh is already using a couple PR’s in his most recent nearfield setup and reported they add a ton of tactile energy on their own. If I ever build a full riser one day, it’ll be on my list of things to try out. I’m not sure how much unwanted SPL it would add though, being essentially a sealed sub box; could run them all out of phase though to try and negate most of it, as this works well for near field subs also to get the desired TR without the added bloat of increased localized bass.

Using three 15” drivers would have actually been more ideal for my BOSS setup to shrink the platform down while retaining rigidity, but I’m going to try and scale it back a bit more for the next build while retaining stiffness with the 6 JBL drivers, so it’ll hide neatly under the couch...like a BOSS with high WAF for the real boss. And I’ll finally add some 3/4” spacers above the isos. With the JBL’s so close to the ground now, I’m fairly sure at least the edges of the driver surround have hit the ground a few times during high excursion.

Working a lot this next week, but should get around to building BOSS 2.0 soon after. I think I’ll call her Big Bertha, because BB brings that earth shaking wobble and TR.
trhought and CaseyH71 like this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #2204 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2534 Post(s)
Liked: 2159
@DesertDog , curious if you feel any less TR in your middle seat (your MLP?) as compared to the two outer one since there is no driver there in your middle seat even though your platforms are tied together as one. Thanks.
post #2205 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
DesertDog.....we watched Solo last night! WOW! One scene that really made an impression on us. The scene where they blow up the train and the mountain implodes.....it felt like our house was on the mountain as it was falling into the earth...incredible! Thanks for the hot-tip.

We're going to try to watch Rogue One tonight if all works out......with BEQ of course!
Excellent! What I liked best about Solo was the consistent texture of the BOSS through out it. It was used to accent very nicely. It's funny you mention the mountain. It was fun but I was slightly disappointed in it. I was hoping it'd a hair stronger and longer. More like the bomb at the end of RP1.

If you want a really good explosion like that there's one near the end of Ender's Game. I need to rewatch it with BOSS. Last time I watched it was right after adding the 24". I thought my house was going to come down.
trhought likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #2206 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
@DesertDog , curious if you feel any less TR in your middle seat (your MLP?) as compared to the two outer one since there is no driver there in your middle seat even though your platforms are tied together as one. Thanks.
Not that I notice as long as I have the gain set the same on L and R. The way I'm set-up it should be about equal. I was going to try to run some VS tests over the weekend. I'll do a couple in both seating positions to see how they compare. The readings I posted about a week out in the VS thread were from the center seat BTW.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #2207 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, Please excuse this "off topic" intrusion, but after reading pages & pages of this thread, I can't definitively determine the operating principle involved here. Perhaps one of you engineers could explain it?

Specifically, I'm left wondering if the baffle board is there to avoid destructive interference or to pressurize the seat/couch frame - using the cushions as a large port or mainly for structural purposes? Could speakers mount indiviidually to the furniture with sturdy brackets in open air & get the same result, as long as the cone was in close proximity to & facing the floor? If some sort of baffle IS req'd, could you use a series of smaller individual baffle boards(1 for ea. spkr)? EG. Spkr=12", baffle boards = 18"Dia? Would suspending the furniture on pressure adjustable airbags(tunable rate suspension) be of any significant advantage? Thanks in advance!
post #2208 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ @Longeze ....Thanks. Great questions.

Basically the BOSS is an acronym for Baffle Open Sub Shaker. So, basically, it's an open baffle which does allow the back pressure wave to cancel the front pressure wave to mostly reduce SPL so it doesn't interfere with your existing far field sub and near field sub calibrations. The BOSS is all about ultra-low frequency (ULF) response that can be mostly felt...called tactile response or TR for short.

Also, because it's an open baffle, the woofer can reach single digit responses very easily and will very little power...less than 100 watts per driver and in some cases less than 50 watts per driver, depending on what driver is chosen.

The BOSS driver does need a baffle of some sort to provide a mounting surface. But, that baffle can be as small as the outer diameter of the speaker or as large as one can construct it while keeping it very rigid.

The larger platforms (baffles) add additional TR to the experience because that bigger area also interacts with low frequency pressure waves in the room from the far field and near field subs. This "passive" forcing function on the platform combine with the "active" forcing function of the drivers mounted on the platform and result in a natural yet commanding response to ULF content in the source material.

The last part of the BOSS is the platform suspension. This completely decouples the platform from the floor below and allows it to respond on command from the drivers (active force) and pressure waves in the room (passive force). The more "floaty" the platform, the better.

The BOSS concept is basically trying to simulate ULF as we feel it in the real world....which is from below us as a result of some catastrophic event that just shook the earth below our feet.

If the driver is mounted to the chair directly with a small baffle, some passive ULF effects will be lost but the active ULF will still be present and still feel very natural as long as the isolators are between the chair legs and the floor. These isolators will still allow the chair to respond on command from the driver that's mounted directly to it.

That's basically the BOSS in a nutshell....everything else in this thread is just a variation of these concepts and retrofitting the BOSS technology pieces into our living rooms and theaters to accomplish other goals in the room (i.e.; risers, chair mounts for traditional fold-up theater chairs, aesthetics, platforms for mounting other traditional shakers and transducers, etc.)

Post 29 has the instructions for building a BOSS of your own along with a link for purchasing the isolators. Post 2151 has a list of speakers that have been used for other BOSS builds and reported as working well.

As always, if you have any questions as you start planning your BOSS design and build, just fire away.
DigiWega likes this.

Last edited by trhought; 05-10-2019 at 05:33 PM.
post #2209 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Just watched Glass with BEQ and the BOSS and it was amazing. The soundtrack was very well done and the ULF effects felt very natural and reinforced the on screen action.
Sekosche likes this.

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Subs: PSA V1811 & PSA V1801
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Qunitet Surrounds
post #2210 of 2845 Old 05-10-2019, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks0 View Post
Just watched Glass with BEQ and the BOSS and it was amazing. The soundtrack was very well done and the ULF effects felt very natural and reinforced the on screen action.

I watched this yesterday with BEQ as well and thought the bass was well done, but the movie itself I thought was a poorly executed final chapter in the series. Still a fun ride worth a watch. After watching the Mule with very little ULF, Glass definitely stood out with the BOSS bringing the goods.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
post #2211 of 2845 Old 05-11-2019, 12:52 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I measured the acc. level on my front riser with 4 out of 6 GT-X1200 mounted, driven by a T.amp E-800. I put a towel and a 2,5kg weight on top of the phone (I did not have a 5 pound bag of rise as some use). Peak acc. in Z direction was more than 2g.

I used the opening sequence in Edge of Tomorrow. It is very uncomfortable to sit in the front row. I will have to tune it. Right now it plays 0-120Hz without EQ.

Here is the SPL of subwoofer sweep vs Edge of Tomorrow opening sequence at level 0. SPL meter recorded 119,8 db peak. I had to lower the subwoofer output to get these curves, as I otherwise was getting clipping. I have to look into my gain structure SR7010 -> MiniDSP 2x4 balanced -> NX3000D.

Sekosche likes this.

Last edited by eeyoreDK; 05-12-2019 at 12:27 AM.
post #2212 of 2845 Old 05-11-2019, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Hideaway Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoreDK View Post
I used the opening sequence in Edge of Tomorrow. It is very uncomfortable to sit in the front row.

Here is the SPL of subwoofer sweep vs Edge of Tomorrow opening sequence at level 0. SPL meter recorded 119,8 db peak. I had to lower the subwoofer output to get these curves, as I otherwise was getting clipping. I have to look into my gain structure SR7010 -> MiniDSP 2x4 balanced -> NX3000D.

Dang, that’s some killer TR right there! Did you mean it’s uncomfortable being too much TR or too much SPL? I can see it going both ways with the EOT intro, and that is such a hot signal it’s definitely easy to clip.

What main subs are you running, and did you mean this was only with 4 of 6 BOSS drivers installed, if so, sweet? How much bass boost post Audyssey are you running?

That signal chain should allow for a decent amount of headroom with no clipping, but playing the EOT intro at 0mv is brutal. The 2Vrms output of the balanced 2x4 should be plenty to drive the input of the iNuke to full load sans clipping; unless you’re getting a weaker signal than normal from the Marantz, it should be able to put out a few volts as well to the miniDSP.

post #2213 of 2845 Old 05-11-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
@eeyoreDK - From your graphs up above, yeah I can see why it would feel uncomfortable. Your 30 hz is damn near touching 1e+1 and 25hz is over 1e+0. Yes that is some serious power right there for sure!! But your spikes (right to left, starting at ...30hz, then 25hz, 20hz, 15hz and lastly, 10hz need to rise stronger and stronger, not less and less. So another words they need to be sloped the other way, like in the PVA graph I posted below shows that we want to match with our TR. Those tones in EOT get stronger and stronger with each drop as they play stepping down, then eventually hitting the last 10hz tone.

Your 10hz and 15hz tone is still strong reading a little below 1e-01, but needs to be a little above 1e+01, where it should be in relation to the others with 30hz and 25hz). This is the only problem I find with the BOSS. Out of all the testing I've done with it (mine anyway) in many different configs and even different platforms, is that its super strong in the 25-30hz and above area, and not nearly as much below this. This seems to be its natural wheelhouse of power in that LF 20-35hz area. That's ok, one just needs to make sure this is the case with their BOSS and make changes to correct this (if it needs it) so it reads (and feels) more level, linear, accurate (or whatever you want to call it), across the board for TR into the ULF frequencies as well as the LF area. This can be done by using a nice big Low Shelf to boost the low end or even a LPF set somewhere around 20-40hz with a nice big slope BW db/oct set, or even a combo. Then the gain may need to be raised a little too after these adjustments.

Here is what we are shooting for with the EOT intro to give you an idea. I know you haven't tuned anything yet, but just thought I would give you a heads up about probably needing an LS or a combo of LS and LPF with slope to get the bottom end up to the level of the LF area around 25hz and above if you didn't already know this. It will keep it from feeling too uncomfortable in this 25-35hz area, while keeping the low end below it up and powerful feeling. So another words, more balanced TR across the frequency band.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 05-11-2019 at 09:24 AM.
post #2214 of 2845 Old 05-11-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Dang, that’s some killer TR right there! Did you mean it’s uncomfortable being too much TR or too much SPL? I can see it going both ways with the EOT intro, and that is such a hot signal it’s definitely easy to clip.

What main subs are you running, and did you mean this was only with 4 of 6 BOSS drivers installed, if so, sweet? How much bass boost post Audyssey are you running?
The front riser originally had 6 GT-X1200 but I had to use 2 of them to rebuild two of my subwoofers which blew up and also killed two NX3000D amps. I have 4 subs with 2 GT-X1200 in each. The cabinets are 4 cubic feet and they are driver by two NX3000D. They are EQ'ed using MSO. I have not run audyssey yet. The SPL is fine, it is the TR that is brutal. I watched the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan at -5, non-stop shaking 😁. I think that it will help when I EQ the BOSS setup.
Sekosche likes this.
post #2215 of 2845 Old 05-11-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
@eeyoreDK - From your graphs up above, yeah I can see why it would feel uncomfortable. Your 30 hz is damn near touching 1e+01 and 25hz is over 1e+01. Yes that is some serious power right there for sure!! But your spikes (right to left, starting at ...30hz, then 25hz, 20hz, 15hz and lastly, 10hz need to rise stronger and stronger, not less and less. So another words they need to be sloped the other way, like in the PVA graph I posted below shows that we want to match with our TR. Those tones in EOT get stronger and stronger with each drop as they play stepping down, then eventually hitting the last 10hz tone.

Your 10hz and 15hz tone is still strong reading a little below 1e-01, but needs to be a little above 1e+01, where it should be in relation to the others with 30hz and 25hz). This is the only problem I find with the BOSS. Out of all the testing I've done with it (mine anyway) in many different configs and even different platforms, is that its super strong in the 25-30hz and above area, and not nearly as much below this. This seems to be its natural wheelhouse of power in that LF 20-35hz area. That's ok, one just needs to make sure this is the case with their BOSS and make changes to correct this (if it needs it) so it reads (and feels) more level, linear, accurate (or whatever you want to call it), across the board for TR into the ULF frequencies as well as the LF area. This can be done by using a nice big Low Shelf to boost the low end or even a LPF set somewhere around 20-40hz with a nice big slope BW db/oct set, or even a combo. Then the gain may need to be raised a little too after these adjustments.

Here is what we are shooting for with the EOT intro to give you an idea. I know you haven't tuned anything yet, but just thought I would give you a heads up about probably needing an LS or a combo of LS and LPF with slope to get the bottom end up to the level of the LF area around 25hz and above if you didn't already know this. It will keep it from feeling too uncomfortable in this 25-35hz area, while keeping the low end below it up and powerful feeling. So another words, more balanced TR across the frequency band.

Thanks, I will keep this in mind when I get around to EQ'ing the BOSS.
post #2216 of 2845 Old 05-11-2019, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
pink soda.....good question. There's several solutions to this interference issue. 1) the cantilevered BOSS with the JBL driver behind your recliner as mentioned a few posts above and detailed in the cantilever diagram I posted 2) The MBQuart driver which is only 3.5" tall for space-constrained applications like yours 3) Adding another 3/4" thick sheet of plywood that's glued and screwed together with the first sheet of plywood. This will give you a 1.5" thick platform which reduces the overall driver height by another 3/4" if space is that tight. 4) place the driver in the back rest of the recliner if you are comfortable with minor surgery to the chair.

The best way to figure out what will work is to buy a driver and start to experiment with placement. Tilt your recliner up, place the driver underneath and slowly lower the recliner until it hits the magnet. Measure the distance between the bottom of the recliner to the floor. That will be the thickness your BOSS platform will have to be.

If that platform thickness is too high for your needs, then a cantilever BOSS design will work if you have space behind your recliner and don't mind the driver being visible back there.

Regarding the off-center location of the driver, as long as the BOSS platform is rigid and not very flexible and your isolators are placed as prescribed in Post 29, your BOSS experience will be great.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
It looks like his lower back panel is Velcroed in place. All I had to do was pry up a plastic strip of a row of nails (a very clever arrangement, I must admit). Just tapped everything back down when I was done.
Michael
Thanks for the advice. The cantilevered solution would technically work, but it's not ideal because the couch isn't near the back wall, so the drivers would get in the way of walking space. I'll keep it in mind as a last resort.

I looked at the lower back panel, but it didn't seem like there would be enough room for the driver after fully reclining the char. But with the MB Quart, it does look like there is space if I mount directly under the chair, above all the reclining mechanisms (I believe I saw a few other users try something like this). I ordered one MB Quart to test out. Will post updates as I make progress.
trhought likes this.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL Towers w/ Mapleshade 4" Maple Platforms & Brass Heavyfeet・ Sierra RAAL Horizon w/ Mapleshade 2" Center Channel Maple Platform & Brass Heavyfeet ・ Ascend Sierra Luna satellites・Rythmik FV18 subwoofer x2
Denon AVR-X4100W ・ miniDSP DDRC-88BM with Dirac Live ・ Outlaw Audio 7140
Sony VPL-HW45ES
post #2217 of 2845 Old 05-11-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1611
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyH71 View Post
I know there isn't much A/B here, but would you say (assuming you have tried the JBL) there will be a marginal drop in performance if the MBQuart is used over the JBL? Or not enough to make a huge differnce? The idea of not needing a thicker riser is appealing to get the lower clearance of the MB. Thoughts?

Thanks, Casey
@CaseyH71 , I did not ty the JBL(yet), just did the MBQuart. Just getting back from a trip, so will play with the MBQuart hopefully tonight/weekend. I am going to keep an eye on the JBL, and when the price is right order one, for the other side of the couch, and give it a go.
FriscoDTM and CaseyH71 like this.
post #2218 of 2845 Old 05-11-2019, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 737 Post(s)
Liked: 662
@SBuger - part of that peak region being higher than you would like is likely due to the suspension of the jbl - it is not very loose.
post #2219 of 2845 Old 05-11-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Out of all the testing I've done with it (mine anyway) in many different configs and even different platforms, is that its super strong in the 25-30hz and above area, and not nearly as much below this. This seems to be its natural wheelhouse of power in that LF 20-35hz area. That's ok, one just needs to make sure this is the case with their BOSS and make changes to correct this (if it needs it) so it reads (and feels) more level, linear, accurate (or whatever you want to call it), across the board for TR into the ULF frequencies as well as the LF area. This can be done by using a nice big Low Shelf to boost the low end or even a LPF set somewhere around 20-40hz with a nice big slope BW db/oct set, or even a combo. Then the gain may need to be raised a little too after these adjustments.

Think I’ll try a little negative PEQ around 30Hz with my 6 driver build and see how I like it. The demo scenes I’ve ran have also been just brutal in the 25-35Hz range with less pronounced or sharp feeling TR below that, even at the same energy level if that makes sense. Might add a bit more of a house curve below 20Hz and taper off the upper end that doesn’t need any more help.

Loving all the BOSS builds popping up! Eeyore’s TR with just a handful of 12” drivers sealed and in the BOSS is pretty crazy though. Way higher than what I had from just the pair of MA’s and ported subs on their own. I’ll have to run some EOT sweeps and VS them to see where I’m at now before I add three more drivers.

post #2220 of 2845 Old 05-11-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink soda View Post
Thanks for the advice. The cantilevered solution would technically work, but it's not ideal because the couch isn't near the back wall, so the drivers would get in the way of walking space. I'll keep it in mind as a last resort.

I looked at the lower back panel, but it didn't seem like there would be enough room for the driver after fully reclining the char. But with the MB Quart, it does look like there is space if I mount directly under the chair, above all the reclining mechanisms (I believe I saw a few other users try something like this). I ordered one MB Quart to test out. Will post updates as I make progress.
My cantilevered platform does not stick out very far at all from the back of the seats. If you drew a perpendicular line from the back of the headrest to the platform it might stick out 3". I barely had to move my seats forward to maintain clearance from my bar to the second row seats and from the 2nd row riser to the first row seats. If interested I can get an an exact distance for you.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page