The Hideaway Theater - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2806Likes

post #2401 of 2934 Old 05-19-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked: 686
@Nalleh - optical illusion or is the wood the driver is mounted to bent and curved? May need a couple layers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 2934 Old 05-19-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Quoted: 2404 Post(s)
Liked: 3133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
@Nalleh - optical illusion or is the wood the driver is mounted to bent and curved? May need a couple layers.
It has a angle cut in front right corner to fit the two seat angled couch, so the MDF itself is flat as can be. All made from scrap pieces though just to test, so will make a final version when all testing is finished

Dual Atmos Receivers - Atmos 13.1.8/DTS X 9.1.8/Auro 3D 13.1 - Denon AVCX8500H+AVRX7200WA - Klipsch+KEF - 6xSI18" - 8xJBL 12" BOSS - 4xJBL 12" w/SLAPS M12" VNF - 3x2 stacked Crowson MA - 4xBK-LFE - 6xNU6K(fan&trig mod) - Minidsp 10x10HD - Oppo UDP203 - XBox OneX - Apple TV4K - JVC RS600 Dreamscreen V2 120"- Philips 65OLED873.
Nalleh’s HT
post #2403 of 2934 Old 05-19-2019, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Here is what I was using for movies for the front row BOSS:

Added the HSF for music:

What are the settings for these 2 filters you are using?

Electronics: Denon X4400, Vizio M65
Sub: PSA TV36-iPal
Speakers: 3 x Chane A2.4 LCR, Klipsch Quintet Surrounds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 2934 Old 05-19-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3196
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks0 View Post
What are the settings for these 2 filters you are using?
I have since changes settings, so not sure sorry. Lately I've used a 20hz LPF 12 db slope for movies and no filter for music.
post #2405 of 2934 Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Slightly off topic and also posted this in the Behringer thread, but can anyone chime in on this real quick for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyH71 View Post
Hey All,

I have a new NX6000D and I did the fan swap to the NF-A8 FLX fans. Can anyone confirm if the fans don't really start spinning until there is load on the amp? Just in testing (with nothing plugged into the amp) The 6K fans haven't started spinning even after a couple minutes. Everything is wired up correctly.

I did the swap on my NX3000D and it starts as soon as the amp is powered on.

Thanks, Casey

Casey

Last edited by CaseyH71; 05-20-2019 at 08:19 AM.
post #2406 of 2934 Old 05-20-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyH71 View Post
Slightly off topic and also posted this in the Behringer thread, but can anyone chime in on this real quick for me?

Casey
Hey Casey.....below is a thread about replacing the fans on the Behringers......it appears the voltage to the fan varies with temperature (more temp, more voltage).

Briefly reading the thread, it looks like your fan was mentioned and it will eventually turn on once the voltage gets high enough. It appears you just need to use the black and red leads of the fan since the original Behringer fan is only 2 leads.

Hope some of this helps.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-recently.html
cobr and CaseyH71 like this.
post #2407 of 2934 Old 05-20-2019, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm driving an 18" sub BOSS and an ADX bass Shaker driectly mounted under the seat with a Crown XLS 1500. What LPF should I set for each? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #2408 of 2934 Old 05-20-2019, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobr View Post
I'm driving an 18" sub BOSS and an ADX bass Shaker driectly mounted under the seat with a Crown XLS 1500. What LPF should I set for each? Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Hey cobr.....great to hear about your 18" BOSS and ADX bass shaker.....that's a lot of shaker potential there!

From all the different BOSS builds and configuration to date, only one thing has been constant.....that's each build and LPF setting preference has been unique. I don't think any 2 members have had the same LPF setting preference.

Some members are still experimenting and changing their preferences. Some even have different settings for music and movies.

I think it depends on a lot of factors which is why the LPF has to be set based on personal preference and personal BOSS setup. Even the location of the subwoofer in relation to the back legs and the location of the bass shakers relative to the back legs can make a difference in the LPF setting.

Another factor that seems to affect the TR experience is the furniture construction and cushion material. Those with newer furniture (stiff frames) and leather cushions (stiff cushions) are reporting lower LPF's are needed to feel natural.

So, it really depends on a lot of factors.....the only way to get the settings that are right for you and your setup is to sit in your favorite chair and start experimenting with your favorite demo material that you are familiar with. Try different LPF's for both the BOSS and ADX's until if feels right for you.

Hope some of this feedback helps.
cobr likes this.
post #2409 of 2934 Old 05-20-2019, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Or, do 8 more JBL's on top of each other in pancake fashion. 4 cantilevered 12" BOSS drivers on the extended shelf, then another 4 stacked on top of those all behind your BOSS-sac. That would provide a 13" high shelf for the VNF's and would give you the same BOSS shaker potential as 2.7 18's for your cantilevered BOSS.
Bringing this back here to not gum up Nalleh's thread.

Could you explain what you mean by "pancake fashion"? I'm not sure what exact layout you're referring to and I can think of a few different configs for it.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #2410 of 2934 Old 05-20-2019, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mega BOSS alternatives for TR Junkies

For all you BOSS's out there and soon to be BOSS's, wanted to mention a couple ideas that have spawned from @Nalleh 's MEGA BOSS sled he posted above as you're planning your own BOSS design.

With Nalleh's clever BOSS sled, it lends itself to many different configurations with the BOSS drivers behind the seating in a cantilevered position. Don't let the MA's in his design deter you based on cost. Staying true to the BOSS roots, I think the BOSS performance can still be impressive without the MA's. Just think of the extra shaker potential a cantilevered BOSS design allows.

Some of those extra-shaker ideas that have already spawned from Nalleh's 18" cantilevered BOSS sled are:

1) Instead of one large and more expensive 18", use multiple 12" JBL's stacked on top of one another. The JBL's can be mounted behind the seat in pancake fashion to double, triple, quadruple the shaker potential in a very small space (see the sketch below for a visual of this idea). Think of an array of say 3 cantilevered 12" BOSS drivers behind your couch. Now, add another 3 cantilevered 12" drivers right above those on another platform raised above the original cantilevered platform. You could even add another layer of 3 JBL's on top of those and the entire stack of 9 JBL's would still be less than 20" tall. You could even nest each platform of drivers to make the overall array height even shorter....i.e.; if the bottom 3 drivers are mounted face down, the second layer could be mounted face up with their magnets nested in between the spaces of the first layer of drivers.

2) With the extra space underneath the chair or couch, other TR devices can be added more easily. Additionally, those TR devices can now be moved into different positions on the platform allowing easier adjustment for the best TR experience. Think of the buttkickers as an example....those BK's could be placed at different position on your BOSS platform to optimize the TR they add to the overall experience.

3) For those with existing VNF's or want to add VNF's to your theater or living room, the 12" to 20" tall BOSS platforms behind your couch or chair could be used as a shelf for your VNF's to raise them to chest level if you're a VNF fan.

Just wanted to mention these variations of the BOSS for those who have the luxury of throwing WAF out the window and maximizing your TR experience with a Mega BOSS platform with all the bells and whistles.....you know who you are

Hopefully this will generate other ideas that can be shared for future BOSS builds and designs also.

SBuger, Nalleh and eeyoreDK like this.

Last edited by trhought; 05-20-2019 at 02:24 PM.
post #2411 of 2934 Old 05-20-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Hey Casey.....below is a thread about replacing the fans on the Behringers......it appears the voltage to the fan varies with temperature (more temp, more voltage).

Briefly reading the thread, it looks like your fan was mentioned and it will eventually turn on once the voltage gets high enough. It appears you just need to use the black and red leads of the fan since the original Behringer fan is only 2 leads.

Hope some of this helps.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-recently.html
Thanks Tim! Just in case anyone was wondering I powered up the amp and with no load it took about 6 min or so before the fans kicked on. I was "puckered" but determined to test.

Casey
trhought likes this.
post #2412 of 2934 Old 05-20-2019, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
Bringing this back here to not gum up Nalleh's thread.

Could you explain what you mean by "pancake fashion"? I'm not sure what exact layout you're referring to and I can think of a few different configs for it.
Hey DesertDog....yeah, sorry....I sometimes make up terms that match images in my brain....

Below is a quick sketch of what I meant by pancake fashion to help with visuals for Mega BOSS builds using the 12" JBL drivers in cantilever applications

BTW....I just updated my post above with this graphic for others who probably had the same question

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cantilevered Mega BOSS Ideas.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	971.0 KB
ID:	2569272  
post #2413 of 2934 Old 05-20-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You could also go clamshell isobarik. It might not save space, but could cancel some driver non-linearities.
post #2414 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 06:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Watched The Great Wall last night w/BEQ; man was that a ride. I can’t wait to get my platforms connected to see what 3 is like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS riser | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #2415 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
Watched The Great Wall last night w/BEQ; man was that a ride. I can’t wait to get my platforms connected to see what 3 is like.
Rowan....Thanks for sharing your experiences with your BOSS so far. Can't wait to hear more about your continued tweaks to your 3 platforms.

Thanks for the reference to The Great Wall.....can't wait to watch it now with BEQ. Never seen it before but I've seen some demo clips from it over the years and always told myself I need to watch it but always forget

We just finished Godzilla (1998) last night and really enjoyed it much more than expected. The ULF in that movie with BEQ is incredible. I had forgotten how much campy humor was in the movie which paired well with the entire premise of the story. Overall, it was an enjoyable experience and took me back to those 90's action movies I enjoyed so much when we first built our theater.

Gonna have to go back and enjoy some of those gems again, this time with BOSS and BEQ.....some examples top of mind are: Con Air, The Rock, The Heat, T2, Broken Arrow, Mission Impossible I, Bad Boys I to name a few that left a lasting impression
post #2416 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1802 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
OMG I’m so IN on this BOSS concept. The pieces couldn’t coalesce any better. I sold my rear four Seatons earlier this year with the expectation to re-purchases them in their thinner for (12”deep so I can fit them behind my rear-wall panels). But it looks like for less than the cost of one, I can take my bass experience to the next level???? I’m waiting for the “gotcha” here.

I have tons of questions, but I’m going to try to use the search function before asking questions that may have been asked already. I’m exciteddddddd (nobody knows, but I said this in my toddlers voice—she says it with such...passion, which is why I am echoing her here.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
DigiWega, trhought and CaseyH71 like this.
post #2417 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
OMG I’m so IN on this BOSS concept. The pieces couldn’t coalesce any better. I sold my rear four Seatons earlier this year with the expectation to re-purchases them in their thinner for (12”deep so I can fit them behind my rear-wall panels). But it looks like for less than the cost of one, I can take my bass experience to the next level???? I’m waiting for the “gotcha” here.

I have tons of questions, but I’m going to try to use the search function before asking questions that may have been asked already. I’m exciteddddddd (nobody knows, but I said this in my toddlers voice—she says it with such...passion, which is why I am echoing her here.)
Hey Matt....welcome aboard the BOSS train! So awesome to hear your passion and excitement about a new addition to your theater. I think you're gonna love a BOSS platform or 2 in your wonderfully appointed Beast Unleashed Theater.....maybe even in your Beast Unleashed Gym at some point

Post 29 has the basic build guidelines and ingredients for either a mini-riser BOSS or full size riser BOSS.

There's been a cantilevered variant of the BOSS platform over the last few months....basically this is for members who 1. Don't have enough room under their chairs for the drivers or 2. Want beastly 15" or 18" drivers in a low riser profile and don't mind the drivers showing behind the chairs.

There's also been a variant of a small BOSS platform mounted directly to the chairs, either below the chair or in the seat back of the chairs with great results being reported.

Below are a few hyper-links to some notable posts with some golden nuggets that will speed up the learning curve:

Post 29 - The original BOSS design guidelines and key ingredients
post 323 - @carp 's cantilevered BOSS and special guidelines for a cantilever design
Post 750 - the BOSS commercial (a light-hearted take on what BOSS technology is all about)
Post 1741 - speaker parameters to focus on for BOSS driver selection....especially handy for those in Europe who don't have access to the $29 JBL 12" drivers or those who want a lower profile driver for underneath their chairs
Post 1857 - @Archaea 's mini BOSS platform mounted directly to the bottom of the chair
Post 2011 - @LastButNotLeast 's mini BOSS platform directly mounted to the chair backrest
Post 2079 - list of different BOSS configurations and benefits of each in rank order
Post 2151 - list of alternate BOSS drivers used to-date with great reports on BOSS performance
Post 2411 - Ideas and alternate designs for MEGA BOSS TR junkies who don't have to contend with WAF inspired by @Nalleh 's MEGA BOSS Experimental TR Sled (The Franken-BOSS)

As always, fire away with any questions. If you have a particular driver in mind or have an extra driver on-hand already that you'd like to try in a BOSS just let me know.

I can model that driver and compare its expected performance relative to the baseline JBL's to give an idea how much power it will need in a BOSS and what kind of response to expect in an open baffle.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited by trhought; 05-21-2019 at 03:20 PM.
post #2418 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Small update from my side: I didn't get to test the JBL's with added mass yet and I'm still unsure how to do it without possibly damaging the drivers, but I got two 15" PA cabs for free which have B&C drivers in them. One of these drivers has a broken suspension (there is like 4' of the suspension missing, no clue how that happened in a bandpass sub), so THD ramps up with excursion and the sub itself isn't usable anymore. Means I'll try it out for some shaky things..! I have yet to check its xmax, but since high excursion PA drivers are just a pretty recent thing (thanks to the growing demand of sub 40Hz reproduction for EDM concerts), I doubt that it's more than like 10mm. Maybe I'll be able to test them this weekend. I'm pretty sure that adding cone mass will greatly improve the performance of regular drivers for our purpose. Ricci had the nice idea of adding magnets to the cone. They would be heavy on their own, plus no adhesive needed.
cobr likes this.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #2419 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
Small update from my side: I didn't get to test the JBL's with added mass yet and I'm still unsure how to do it without possibly damaging the drivers, but I got two 15" PA cabs for free which have B&C drivers in them. One of these drivers has a broken suspension (there is like 4' of the suspension missing, no clue how that happened in a bandpass sub), so THD ramps up with excursion and the sub itself isn't usable anymore. Means I'll try it out for some shaky things..! I have yet to check its xmax, but since high excursion PA drivers are just a pretty recent thing (thanks to the growing demand of sub 40Hz reproduction for EDM concerts), I doubt that it's more than like 10mm. Maybe I'll be able to test them this weekend. I'm pretty sure that adding cone mass will greatly improve the performance of regular drivers for our purpose. Ricci had the nice idea of adding magnets to the cone. They would be heavy on their own, plus no adhesive needed.
peniku....Thanks for the update on your added mass experiments. I believe there's lots or runway left with the "added mass" ideas and methods of attaching that added mass to a BOSS driver. Looking forward to learning more about your experiments and if your sacrificial driver survives
post #2420 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 3597
Quote:
Hey Matt....welcome aboard the BOSS train! So awesome to hear your passion and excitement about a new addition to your theater. I think you're gonna love a BOSS platform or 2 in your wonderfully appointed Beast Unleashed Theater.....maybe even in your Beast Unleashed Gym at some point

Post 29 has the basic build guidelines and ingredients for either a mini-riser BOSS or full size riser BOSS.

There's been a cantilevered variant of the BOSS platform over the last few months....basically this is for members who 1. Don't have enough room under their chairs for the drivers or 2. Want beastly 15" or 18" drivers in a low riser profile and don't mind the drivers showing behind the chairs.

There's also been a variant of a small BOSS platform mounted directly to the chairs, either below the chair or in the seat back of the chairs with great results being reported.

Below is a summary of some notable posts with some golden nuggets that will speed up the learning curve:

Post 29 - The original BOSS design guidelines and key ingredients
Post 323 - @carp 's cantilevered BOSS and special guidelines for a cantilever design
Post 750 - the BOSS commercial (a light-hearted take on what BOSS technology is all about)
Post 1741 - speaker parameters to focus on for BOSS driver selection....especially handy for those in Europe who don't have access to the $29 JBL 12" drivers or those who want a lower profile driver for underneath their chairs
Post 1857 - @Archaea 's mini BOSS platform mounted directly to the bottom of the chair
Post 2011 - @LastButNotLeast 's mini BOSS platform directly mounted to the chair backrest
Post 2079 - list of different BOSS configurations and benefits of each in rank order
Post 2151 - list of alternate BOSS drivers used to-date with great reports on BOSS performance
Post 2411 - Ideas and alternate designs for MEGA BOSS TR junkies who don't have to contend with WAF inspired by @Nalleh 's MEGA BOSS Experimental TR Sled (The Franken-BOSS)

As always, fire away with any questions. If you have a particular driver in mind or have an extra driver on-hand already that you'd like to try in a BOSS just let me know.

I can model that driver and compare its expected performance relative to the baseline JBL's to give an idea how much power it will need in a BOSS and what kind of response to expect in an open baffle.

Welcome aboard!

By the way, if anyone knows how to hyper-link each of the posts above, let me know and I'll edit accordingly to make it more user-friendly.
Cool, would you mind modeling mine, I'm getting ready to try my 3 Stereo Integrity DS4-18's in a cantilevered BOSS design sled just like Nalleh did. I'm thinking they should work pretty good and pretty similar to his.

Its real similar to the UM18-22 but does have slightly different T/S parameters. Fs is a hair lower on the DS4 (18.7hz vs 19 some odd hz but close enough), 100g less mass at 561g vs 650g, but has more Xmax (27mm and Xmech 50mm) vs 22mm. They don't make the DS4-18 anymore unfortunately (darn, I love them), but here are a few specs on it: HERE

As far as a hyper link (like the one I just did right?). Easy, just click on the post # that you want to link to and copy it (then click on insert link and paste it) in your reply post (it will double the code in your text (on is the actual link and the other is what it will say)). You can leave it as that (the actual link code) or use whatever text you want (I used HERE in mine). Easy if this is what you are talking about.
trhought likes this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #2421 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 2059 Post(s)
Liked: 2215
Is this the longest we have gone without seeing the JBL drivers at $29?

I wonder if we permanently drove the price up at Best Buy with our demand 😀
post #2422 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Tim,

Has there been any results in finding isolators similar to the 2.5" 20 duro models on Amazon and Ebay? I will use them, but my personality rebels at the thought of paying almost as much for the isolator (per) as the 12" drivers I am using. I've thought of trying to mod some soft silicone stress balls to see how they would work.

Jim
post #2423 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Cool, would you mind modeling mine, I'm getting ready to try my 3 Stereo Integrity DS4-18's in a cantilevered BOSS design sled just like Nalleh did. I'm thinking they should work pretty good and pretty similar to his.

Its real similar to the UM18-22 but does have slightly different T/S parameters. Fs is a hair lower on the DS4 (18.7hz vs 19 some odd hz but close enough), 100g less mass at 561g vs 650g, but has more Xmax (27mm and Xmech 50mm) vs 22mm. They don't make the DS4-18 anymore unfortunately (darn, I love them), but here are a few specs on it: HERE

As far as a hyper link (like the one I just did right?). Easy, just click on the post # that you want to link to and copy it (then click on insert link and paste it) in your reply post (it will double the code in your text (on is the actual link and the other is what it will say)). You can leave it as that (the actual link code) or use whatever text you want (I used HERE in mine). Easy if this is what you are talking about.
Hey Shelby.....Thanks for the hot tip on the hyperlinks....that's exactly what I wanted to accomplish! I'll give it a try.

Below are the technicals for that beast of a driver called SI DS4-18.

It's Xmech is 3.3x the JBL (50mm vs. 15 mm) and it's moving mass is 3.1x the JBL (561g vs. 179g). That's a shaker potential of 10.2x the JBL If using the more conservative 27mm Xmax number, it's shake potential is still a respectable 5.6x the JBL

The DS4-18 will take about 1,200 watts to reach Xmech and 350 watts to reach Xmax in an open baffle.

Below are the WinISD models, red is the DS4-18 and blue is the JBL. The first graph is the DS4-18 pushed to Xmax and the second graph is pushed to Xmech.

As far as FR, from the curves below, the DS4-18 is peaky around 10 Hz and below and gently starts rolling off after 20Hz and pretty much matches the JBL at 30Hz and above when fed 350 watts. A pretty good BOSS shaker for improved single digit response and hangs close with the JBL's in the higher frequencies.

When fed 1,200 watts (the second chart), it's FR behavior is about the same, just a lot more energy in all frequencies when compared to the JBL's at 80 watts.

Just thinking out loud, if you decide to use the 18's for BOSS duty and the 12's are left idle, maybe those smaller drivers could be put to use in a BOSS back application if your chair back rests would accommodate them....that could potentially help with a more consistent VNF effect regardless of the recliner position.....possibly.....I don't know....just an idea to compliment your NF and FF subs and amazing TR you're getting already with all your TR tools working together

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Xmax.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	2569840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xmech.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	2569842  
SBuger likes this.

Last edited by trhought; 05-21-2019 at 04:21 PM.
post #2424 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post
Tim,

Has there been any results in finding isolators similar to the 2.5" 20 duro models on Amazon and Ebay? I will use them, but my personality rebels at the thought of paying almost as much for the isolator (per) as the 12" drivers I am using. I've thought of trying to mod some soft silicone stress balls to see how they would work.

Jim
Hey Jim....great question....I've been following along on @Russell Burrows thread below and his DIY isolators solutions and other ideas in that thread also. The rubber stoppers are being used by @peniku8 successfully also under his BOSS platform and that may be the least expensive and most readily available solution so far to my knowledge.

I've heard mention of someone trying those soft rubber balls and cutting them in half (not the harder high-bounce kind, but the softer rubber kind). But, haven't heard of any reports on their performance yet to my knowledge.

@Gorilla Killa has a source for sorbothane isolators that he's testing right now to see if those would be good BOSS candidates.

Those are the options I know of so far until Amazon gets more in stock.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...isolators.html
post #2425 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Hyperlinks have been added to Post 2418 above to help with easy access to some of the notable posts about BOSS technology and different applications.
post #2426 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Amazon.ca has the isolators available As I just took delivery of 4 sets.

Used 2 sets already on my first BOSS build.
post #2427 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Added some height to the front seats but hopefully the BOSS will be worth it. Still waiting for drivers to arrive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B1F85355-F53B-4681-A346-455F1BC6D6A3_1558477582782.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	2569884  
Archaea, CaseyH71 and Nalleh like this.
post #2428 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

Wondering the same thing. Been impatiently waiting now, but... Maybe that ship has sailed.
post #2429 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 3597
Quote:
Hey Shelby.....Thanks for the hot tip on the hyperlinks....that's exactly what I wanted to accomplish! I'll give it a try.

Below are the technicals for that beast of a driver called SI DS4-18.

It's Xmech is 3.3x the JBL (50mm vs. 15 mm) and it's moving mass is 3.1x the JBL (357g vs. 179g). That's a shaker potential of 10.2x the JBL If using the more conservative 27mm Xmax number, it's shake potential is still a respectable 5.6x the JBL

The DS4-18 will take about 1,200 watts to reach Xmech and 350 watts to reach Xmax in an open baffle.

Below are the WinISD models, red is the DS4-18 and blue is the JBL. The first graph is the DS4-18 pushed to Xmax and the second graph is pushed to Xmech.

As far as FR, from the curves below, the DS4-18 is peaky around 10 Hz and below and gently starts rolling off after 20Hz and pretty much matches the JBL at 30Hz and above when fed 350 watts. A pretty good BOSS shaker for improved single digit response and hangs close with the JBL's in the higher frequencies.

When fed 1,200 watts (the second chart), it's FR behavior is about the same, just a lot more energy in all frequencies when compared to the JBL's at 80 watts.

Just thinking out loud, if you decide to use the 18's for BOSS duty and the 12's are left idle, maybe those smaller drivers could be put to use in a BOSS back application if your chair back rests would accommodate them....that could potentially help with a more consistent VNF effect regardless of the recliner position.....possibly.....I don't know....just an idea to compliment your NF and FF subs and amazing TR you're getting already with all your TR tools working together
Thanks for modeling that driver for me Tim!! I'm super excited to try them out in the cantilevered position!! I'll be shocked if they are not able to shake me silly, and down deep too (which is what I'm hoping for in the 10-20hz range, and hopefully singles too with 3 of them, I'll take all I can get of that ULF TR ). You wrote 357g Mm (moving mass) on the DS4-18, did you mean 561g? That's what I saw in the link I posted for the T/S parameters for it, but may be wrong. The UM18 is even more, like 655g or something but with a little less Xmax/Xmech

Also, if I had seat backs like @LastButNotLeast 's , I'd probably do that same and put the JBL in there. Thanks for the idea though! Pretty amazing how he made that work in his seat backs to say the least!! Very cool!!
Nalleh likes this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #2430 of 2934 Old 05-21-2019, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I was just thinking and going to post the same thing. I wouldn't mind buying like another 16 of them.
CaseyH71 likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page