Hey Matt....welcome aboard the BOSS train! So awesome to hear your passion and excitement about a new addition to your theater. I think you're gonna love a BOSS platform or 2 in your wonderfully appointed Beast Unleashed Theater.....maybe even in your Beast Unleashed Gym at some point
Post 29 has the basic build guidelines and ingredients for either a mini-riser BOSS or full size riser BOSS.
There's been a cantilevered variant of the BOSS platform over the last few months....basically this is for members who 1. Don't have enough room under their chairs for the drivers or 2. Want beastly 15" or 18" drivers in a low riser profile and don't mind the drivers showing behind the chairs.
There's also been a variant of a small BOSS platform mounted directly to the chairs, either below the chair or in the seat back of the chairs with great results being reported.
Below are a few hyper-links to some notable posts with some golden nuggets that will speed up the learning curve:
- The original BOSS design guidelines and key ingredients
's cantilevered BOSS and special guidelines for a cantilever design
- the BOSS commercial (a light-hearted take on what BOSS technology is all about)
- speaker parameters to focus on for BOSS driver selection....especially handy for those in Europe who don't have access to the $29 JBL 12" drivers or those who want a lower profile driver for underneath their chairs
's mini BOSS platform mounted directly to the bottom of the chair
's mini BOSS platform directly mounted to the chair backrest
- list of different BOSS configurations and benefits of each in rank order
- list of alternate BOSS drivers used to-date with great reports on BOSS performance
- Ideas and alternate designs for MEGA BOSS TR junkies who don't have to contend with WAF
's MEGA BOSS Experimental TR Sled (The Franken-BOSS)
As always, fire away with any questions. If you have a particular driver in mind or have an extra driver on-hand already that you'd like to try in a BOSS just let me know.
I can model that driver and compare its expected performance relative to the baseline JBL's to give an idea how much power it will need in a BOSS and what kind of response to expect in an open baffle.