The Hideaway Theater - Page 82 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2797Likes

post #2431 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Is this the longest we have gone without seeing the JBL drivers at $29?

I wonder if we permanently drove the price up at Best Buy with our demand 😀
I was just thinking and going to post the same thing. I wouldn't mind buying like another 16 of them.
CaseyH71 likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
@raynist I have 2 I'll let go for $25 each plus shipping. Used for 8hrs at most. PM your address and I'll ship with the receipt and we can do PayPal or however you want when you get them. Yove been around here long enough not really worried about it. Give me a few days to get it out.

I'm working 7 days a week so I've been short on theater time. If I receive the rest of the sorbothane I'll get some feedback over weekend. I want to get the whole platform on them before I give them a recommendation.

I'll have roughly 10 for spare. I'd like to see if anyone who has the Hudsons already wants to try these for a second opinion if they do well on the platform.

I'll see if I can get a price for silicon Isos. The sorbothane are pricey in comparison unless you get bulk.
post #2433 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I got 2 "extra" drivers installed on my BOSS platform today. It really helped my TR at 10hz... first graph is before and second is after. I didnt change the limiter at all, just added the two drivers which brought the amp load from 8ohms to 4 ohms.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
SBuger, Nalleh and Sekosche like this.

Equipment: Yamaha 3050, Oppo 103d, DIYSG HT12s (L,C,R), PSA mt 110s (SR,SL), 2 VBSS, Submaximus, 4 driver BOSS build, umik-1, Epson 3700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2434 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Thanks for modeling that driver for me Tim!! I'm super excited to try them out in the cantilevered position!! I'll be shocked if they are not able to shake me silly, and down deep too (which is what I'm hoping for in the 10-20hz range, and hopefully singles too with 3 of them, I'll take all I can get of that ULF TR ). You wrote 357g Mm (moving mass) on the DS4-18, did you mean 561g? That's what I saw in the link I posted for the T/S parameters for it, but may be wrong. The UM18 is even more, like 655g or something but with a little less Xmax/Xmech

Also, if I had seat backs like @LastButNotLeast 's , I'd probably do that same and put the JBL in there. Thanks for the idea though! Pretty amazing how he made that work in his seat backs to say the least!! Very cool!!
Hey Shelby....good catch....yeah, that was a typo. It should have been 561g. The multiplier calculation was correct (561g for the SI and 179g for the JBL for a 3.1x multiplier). I just changed the original post also to avoid any confusion for others

Yeah, that BOSS Back is a clever idea. I've been thinking a lot differently about furniture lately when looking at different designs and visiting friends and family. No longer do I look at the fabric and colors.....I'm checking for any spaces available for BOSS drivers
SBuger and Nalleh like this.
post #2435 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricE View Post
Added some height to the front seats but hopefully the BOSS will be worth it. Still waiting for drivers to arrive.
Looks great Eric. It will so be worth it! Can't wait to hear your impressions!
post #2436 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
I was just thinking and going to post the same thing. I wouldn't mind buying like another 16 of them.
Sounds like you have your MEGA BOSS plans finalized now DesertDog
post #2437 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceDH View Post
I got 2 "extra" drivers installed on my BOSS platform today. It really helped my TR at 10hz... first graph is before and second is after. I didnt change the limiter at all, just added the two drivers which brought the amp load from 8ohms to 4 ohms.[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-
Awesome VS results BryceDH! Love it when instant gratification projects like this happen! Great looking BOSS platform for your chaise!
post #2438 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Sounds like you have your MEGA BOSS plans finalized now DesertDog
Not finalized yet but ideas are congealing.

I'll probably start drawing out the plans for it but it'll be a bit before I do the full thing. To do everything I'll need a couple new amps, plus the drivers and other materials. Not completely pocket change.
SBuger and trhought like this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #2439 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
@raynist I have 2 I'll let go for $25 each plus shipping. Used for 8hrs at most. PM your address and I'll ship with the receipt and we can do PayPal or however you want when you get them. Yove been around here long enough not really worried about it. Give me a few days to get it out.

I'm working 7 days a week so I've been short on theater time. If I receive the rest of the sorbothane I'll get some feedback over weekend. I want to get the whole platform on them before I give them a recommendation.

I'll have roughly 10 for spare. I'd like to see if anyone who has the Hudsons already wants to try these for a second opinion if they do well on the platform.

I'll see if I can get a price for silicon Isos. The sorbothane are pricey in comparison unless you get bulk.
I am definitely interested in some of these isolators if you find that they work well.

Jim
post #2440 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 1375 Post(s)
Liked: 3372
The Hideaway Theater

Quote:
I got 2 "extra" drivers installed on my BOSS platform today. It really helped my TR at 10hz... first graph is before and second is after. I didnt change the limiter at all, just added the two drivers which brought the amp load from 8ohms to 4 ohms.

Wow, nice work, and that’s a Mack Truck load of TR! I’m sure we all interpret TR differently, and our furniture and how we sit even plays a role in the way the energy and sensations are transmitted throughout the body. But that’s got to be seriously intense at those PSD levels, no? Any more impressions?

Can’t wait to see how my BOSS 2.0 turns out tomorrow!

Edit: Seeing your results makes me want to try the couch directly on the BOSS platform, without the second mini ply riser and isos in between, but I’m not sure if it’d be entirely too much TR with less wobble factor down low to somewhat cushion the experience. But that would mean running it without the MA’s, and most everything else has shown me that they still excel at 10Hz and below.
SBuger likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast

Last edited by Sekosche; 05-21-2019 at 09:04 PM.
post #2441 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Looks like I don't have to test this driver.

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #2442 of 2903 Old 05-21-2019, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 3595
Quote:
Hey Shelby....good catch....yeah, that was a typo. It should have been 561g. The multiplier calculation was correct (561g for the SI and 179g for the JBL for a 3.1x multiplier). I just changed the original post also to avoid any confusion for others

Yeah, that BOSS Back is a clever idea. I've been thinking a lot differently about furniture lately when looking at different designs and visiting friends and family. No longer do I look at the fabric and colors.....I'm checking for any spaces available for BOSS drivers
Cool, thanks Tim! Yeah I kinda thought that mine be the case but thought I'd check.

LOL about thinking about furniture differently ..funny how that works huh when this stuff is really on your mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Wow, nice work, and that’s a Mack Truck load of TR! I’m sure we all interpret TR differently, and our furniture and how we sit even plays a role in the way the energy and sensations are transmitted throughout the body. But that’s got to be seriously intense at those PSD levels, no? Any more impressions?

Can’t wait to see how my BOSS 2.0 turns out tomorrow!

Edit: Seeing your results makes me want to try the couch directly on the BOSS platform, without the second mini ply riser and isos in between, but I’m not sure if it’d be entirely too much TR with less wobble factor down low to somewhat cushion the experience. But that would mean running it without the MA’s, and most everything else has shown me that they still excel at 10Hz and below.
Yeah that really is a ton of TR he's showing there on the EOT huh! Nice @BryceDH ! Yep more drivers really seemed to help your 10hz response, way cool!

Sekosche - Yeah I'd be interested to see what you think with your couch sitting directly on the BOSS platform vs having the mini ply and isos between acting as double layer/series isos. From what I've experienced so far, there is a difference in feel for sure. The VS measurements looked different too, but I don't remember how so right off the top of my head ATM. But I think you hit the nail on the head about what you said about it ..maybe too much TR (or maybe just more rigidity to the TR I should say) and with less wobble factor on the ULF. This may or may not be a problem depending on the type of seating one has. My seats are already pretty rigid, so I preferred double layer of isos most of the time, which works well if you want MAs on top anyway. This next time around with the new build, I'll try it both ways again though. I also think I'm gonna try a ply platform this time like you for the MAs to push up against (with seats on top of this ply plat), instead of the MAs pushing directly up against the seat feet. I think this might help distribute the MAs effect a little better.
Nalleh and Sekosche like this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #2443 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peniku8 View Post
Looks like I don't have to test this driver.

Nah man....all you need is 19 more It only takes about 20 of those to equal one JBL with a shaker potential of .05 compared to the baseline JBL.

On paper, to add enough mass for unity, the cone/voice coil assembly would have to weigh ~1,300 grams or ~2.9 lbs

To move that much mass, the additional power would either cook the magnet wire or destroy the surrounds.

Would be interesting to see what fails first My money is on the "cooked magnet wire".

Last edited by trhought; 05-22-2019 at 09:57 AM.
post #2444 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 07:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Quote:
Nah man....all you need is 19 more It only takes about 20 of those to equal one JBL with a shaker potential of .05 compared to the baseline JBL.

On paper, to add enough mass to equal 1 JBL, the cone/voice coil assembly would have to weigh ~1,300 grams or ~2.9 lbs

To move that much mass, the additional power would either cook the magnet wire or destroy the surrounds.

Would be interesting to see what fails first My money is on the "cooked magnet wire".

Never seen a 15" driver with stats like this. Well at least not one I'd throw into a dedicated LFE. Remember, the surround is already damaged, so the 2.5" VC might survive..
Pretty disappointed in this B&C driver. My 21ds115's would be better for BOSS These would effortlessly handle the 3lbs of cone mass!

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #2445 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ Ahh....Thanks @peniku8 didn't realize that was the 15" with a damaged surround. I'll change my bet then
post #2446 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2540 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
Quote:
I got 2 "extra" drivers installed on my BOSS platform today. It really helped my TR at 10hz...
Quote:
Wow, nice work, and that’s a Mack Truck load of TR! But that would mean running it without the MA’s, and most everything else has shown me that they still excel at 10Hz and below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Yeah that really is a ton of TR he's showing there on the EOT huh! Nice @BryceDH ! Yep more drivers really seemed to help your 10hz response, way cool!

Beside the huge TR jump at 10hz, his 40-45Hz TR is also tremendously increased going from 2 to 4 drivers Boss. This must be with subs measurement right? If not, then .....holy

Side by side graphs for easy comparison ^^
post #2447 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Beside the huge TR jump at 10hz, his 40-45Hz TR is also tremendously increased going from 2 to 4 drivers Boss. This must be with subs measurement right? If not, then .....holy

Side by side graphs for easy comparison ^^

Either way that’s crazy TR for 2 or 4 drivers! Such a simple setup but yields amazing results.

You get your BOSS up and running yet?

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
post #2448 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 603 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3769 Post(s)
Liked: 3552
Quote:
Hey Matt....welcome aboard the BOSS train! So awesome to hear your passion and excitement about a new addition to your theater. I think you're gonna love a BOSS platform or 2 in your wonderfully appointed Beast Unleashed Theater.....maybe even in your Beast Unleashed Gym at some point

Post 29 has the basic build guidelines and ingredients for either a mini-riser BOSS or full size riser BOSS.

There's been a cantilevered variant of the BOSS platform over the last few months....basically this is for members who 1. Don't have enough room under their chairs for the drivers or 2. Want beastly 15" or 18" drivers in a low riser profile and don't mind the drivers showing behind the chairs.

There's also been a variant of a small BOSS platform mounted directly to the chairs, either below the chair or in the seat back of the chairs with great results being reported.

Below are a few hyper-links to some notable posts with some golden nuggets that will speed up the learning curve:

Post 29 - The original BOSS design guidelines and key ingredients

post 323 - @carp 's cantilevered BOSS and special guidelines for a cantilever design

Post 750 - the BOSS commercial (a light-hearted take on what BOSS technology is all about)

Post 1741 - speaker parameters to focus on for BOSS driver selection....especially handy for those in Europe who don't have access to the $29 JBL 12" drivers or those who want a lower profile driver for underneath their chairs

Post 1857 - @Archaea 's mini BOSS platform mounted directly to the bottom of the chair

Post 2011 - @LastButNotLeast 's mini BOSS platform directly mounted to the chair backrest

Post 2079 - list of different BOSS configurations and benefits of each in rank order

Post 2151 - list of alternate BOSS drivers used to-date with great reports on BOSS performance

Post 2411 - Ideas and alternate designs for MEGA BOSS TR junkies who don't have to contend with WAF inspired by @Nalleh 's MEGA BOSS Experimental TR Sled (The Franken-BOSS)

As always, fire away with any questions. If you have a particular driver in mind or have an extra driver on-hand already that you'd like to try in a BOSS just let me know.

I can model that driver and compare its expected performance relative to the baseline JBL's to give an idea how much power it will need in a BOSS and what kind of response to expect in an open baffle.

Welcome aboard!

Can you update this info into post 29?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric
post #2449 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2540 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
Quote:
You get your BOSS up and running yet?
Slowly in progress.... Where is your 2.0 Boss?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UpsideDownBossSeats.PNG
Views:	84
Size:	601.2 KB
ID:	2570254  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Upside down boss seats.pdf (33.2 KB, 7 views)
SBuger, trhought, Nalleh and 1 others like this.
post #2450 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Slowly in progress.... Where is your 2.0 Boss?

Nice! You’ll love them, especially with 2 per chair!

BOSS 2.0 is almost done, been updating my build thread for the first one.
SBuger, trhought and Nalleh like this.

post #2451 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Can you update this info into post 29?
Great suggestion! Post 29 has been updated accordingly with the hyperlinks to notable posts so far in this thread.

If anyone else sees any notable posts or have other suggestions that would help with BOSS builds or designs, just let me know.
post #2452 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Anyone know the difference between the JBL GT-X1200 & JBL GT5-12.

I one better than the other?
post #2453 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Hideaway Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Anyone know the difference between the JBL GT-X1200 & JBL GT5-12.

I one better than the other?

They look very comparable, but the GT5-12 is maybe a tad better with 2mm more Xmax, slightly less power handling, same frequency response, 1Hz higher Fs, but the moving mass isn’t listed on the GT5 but assuming they’re very similar.

Buy whichever is cheaper if these are your only options. The cheaper GX1200/CX/CS1214 series look to be for BOSS purposes nearly the same. The extra 2mm Xmax on the GT5 might give it a little edge.
AdamAttewell likes this.

post #2454 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
They look very comparable, but the GT5-12 is maybe a tad better with 2mm more Xmax, slightly less power handling, same frequency response, 1Hz higher Fs, but the moving mass isn’t listed on the GT5 but assuming they’re very similar.

Buy whichever is cheaper if these are your only options. The cheaper GX1200/CX/CS1214 series look to be for BOSS purposes nearly the same. The extra 2mm Xmax on the GT5 might give it a little edge.

Many thanks for all the info, the GT5-12 is cheaper for me & easier to get hold of so I will probably go for it.

Don't know if to go for one or two drivers per seat. I have four seats in total but they are just two recliner couches.

Would Behringer EP4000 be enough to power eight of these things?
post #2455 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Joined the BOSS club with my 4 15” Dayton mini riser. Enjoying it so far, very happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E06990C-4E59-4C83-AC52-8C0CC8E4F0B2_1558583113529.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	2570474   Click image for larger version

Name:	59E0465D-54F3-4EE2-9788-FC9779849E17_1558583151286.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	2570476   Click image for larger version

Name:	F005879B-F311-47CF-9AB2-7C79D1771220_1558583180685.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	2570478  
Alan P, CaseyH71, Nalleh and 3 others like this.
post #2456 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Many thanks for all the info, the GT5-12 is cheaper for me & easier to get hold of so I will probably go for it.

Don't know if to go for one or two drivers per seat. I have four seats in total but they are just two recliner couches.

Would Behringer EP4000 be enough to power eight of these things?

Yes, that amp is very powerful and would easily run 8 of them in a BOSS. They need much less power being in essentially an infinite baffle. You could wire them all in series/parallel, and they’d use a fraction of the amp’s total power (if bridged) to reach their potential or for stereo wire sets of 4 in series or series/parallel per channel, either way you’ll have plenty of power.

Maybe @trhought can model the JBL GT5-12 for you to show what’d work best.
Specs are listed here: https://www.harmanaudio.com/jbl/GT5-12_.html
AdamAttewell likes this.

post #2457 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Hideaway Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticSoul View Post
Joined the BOSS club with my 4 15” Dayton mini riser. Enjoying it so far, very happy with the results.

That’s a sweet sectional build, and with 15” drivers too, think that’s the first one I’ve seen! The stain looks great and it blends right in. Looks like some awesome TR right there. Best to display VS graphs in linear, but the EOT scene is easy to tell you’re getting some excellent results! Another BOSS home run.

Are those the Dayton Classic DCS385-4?
AdamAttewell likes this.

Last edited by Sekosche; 05-22-2019 at 09:09 PM.
post #2458 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thanks for the kind words. They are the Dayton 385-4
post #2459 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I realized a platform with 2 jbl gt5-12 and I am very satisfied with the result !!
I even canceled my NF subwoofer with his dayton um 15
mms=216g
Sekosche likes this.
post #2460 of 2903 Old 05-22-2019, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version