The Hideaway Theater - Page 91 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3270Likes

post #2701 of 3646 Old 06-08-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
Yes, HD or a hardware store should have what you need if you don't want to wait.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2702 of 3646 Old 06-08-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Or you can just run the wire through the holes and wrap it around the tab.
post #2703 of 3646 Old 06-08-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
I ended up doing this since I didn't have any clips. At first they ended up falling out on one driver to the force, so I added some electrical tape to keep them in place. I need to get around to doing the clips though since I have them now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2704 of 3646 Old 06-08-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
Thanks @SteveCallas , never would have thought of that, as I am not very smart/experienced with this stuff. So just take the bare wire thru the hole and secure it with some electrical tape?
post #2705 of 3646 Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
Thanks @SteveCallas , never would have thought of that, as I am not very smart/experienced with this stuff. So just take the bare wire thru the hole and secure it with some electrical tape?
Is there a problem with using solder to connect these speakers that I don't know about?
post #2706 of 3646 Old 06-09-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I didnt use tape or solder, though either will work. I just exposed about 1/2” bare copper strands and ran it through the hole then wrapped it around the tab once or twice. The copper will definitely stay put.
post #2707 of 3646 Old 06-09-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longeze View Post
Is there a problem with using solder to connect these speakers that I don't know about?
Solder is the best permanent method of making speaker connections.....a very secure and lowest resistance joining method due to the larger contact areas between joining members. It's just not very practical for everyday connecting and disconnecting. Having to solder and de-solder takes a bit longer and is more cumbersome than the simple quick connects.

Wrapping the wire and using electrical tape works in a pinch also. In my car audio days, this is what we did all the time, especially when experimenting in each others driveways and parking lots. I don't recall ever having wires come loose using this method. I do remember many times getting slivers in my fingers from the copper stands that would inevitably come off after multiple times twisting and untwisting during experiments I also remember chipping a tooth when stripping the ends of the wires using my teeth....we were crazy back then, some would say we still are
eeyoreDK likes this.
post #2708 of 3646 Old 06-09-2019, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Hey Nick.....welcome aboard and glad you found us! Looking forward to having another BOSS family member soon. I don't have the Seatcraft seats and maybe someone who does can weigh in to help with your situation.

If not, you may be able to mock up a cardboard model or find a tupperware or plastic bowl that's close to the size of the JBL's and/or the MBQuart's. Once you have that bowl or bowls, you can start to experiment.

Simply tilt the back of your chair up and place the bowl underneath in an area that seems like it would fit best. Then slowly lower the chair until it hits the bowl. When that happens, just measure the distance from the bottom of one of the back feet to the floor. That distance will be the approximate thickness needed for your BOSS platform.

Hope this helps.

I checked and there is room for 3 MBQuarts but they won't be centered on the chair. A single sheet of 3/4" plywood with isos will work. I have a miniDSP 2x4 HD so I am going to get a Monoprice Bridgeable Power Amp and run all 3 MB Quarts into the amp in bridged mode which provides 120 watts into a single 8-ohm load. How would I wire the speakers when using the single channel on the amp?

Looking forward to getting started. I crashed on my bike last week (riding in the rain like an idiot!) so I will have to wait a couple of weeks until my injured shoulder is healed enough to work with the platform. In the meantime, I can get everything ordered and ready to go.

Thanks for the help.

Nick
post #2709 of 3646 Old 06-09-2019, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

SI HS24-d2 in a BOSS

Wanted to post here also.....recently received a PM about the possible use of Stereo Integrity's 24 inch HS24-d2 in a BOSS.

Below are the technical comparison details relative to the baseline JBL.

With an excursion multiplier of 3x (36mm vs. 12mm) and a Mms multiplier of 3.7x (664g vs. 179g), it has a shaker potential of 11.1x the JBL's and will take 550watts to reach Xmax.

To push the SI HS24-d2 to Xmech, it will take 1800 watts with a shaker potential of 20x the JBL's. I wouldn't suggest pushing it to Xmech given the cost of one these but that would represent the upper power boundary for this driver.

Below is the frequency response using WinISD. Its behavior is favorable for a BOSS and is peaky around 15Hz and naturally starts to roll-off around 30Hz with ample shaker potential below 10Hz with the high Mms.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SI 24.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	2578086  
post #2710 of 3646 Old 06-09-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt anyone could really even put it to full use. If you did, your platform would literally bounce off the ground or shake the bolts loose from the seats lol.
post #2711 of 3646 Old 06-09-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Solder is the best permanent method of making speaker connections.....a very secure and lowest resistance joining method due to the larger contact areas between joining members. It's just not very practical for everyday connecting and disconnecting. Having to solder and de-solder takes a bit longer and is more cumbersome than the simple quick connects.

Wrapping the wire and using electrical tape works in a pinch also. In my car audio days, this is what we did all the time, especially when experimenting in each others driveways and parking lots. I don't recall ever having wires come loose using this method. I do remember many times getting slivers in my fingers from the copper stands that would inevitably come off after multiple times twisting and untwisting during experiments I also remember chipping a tooth when stripping the ends of the wires using my teeth....we were crazy back then, some would say we still are
Roger that @trhought , Wrapping and electrical tape works just fine for now. Got the JBL installed, and love it! I have an L shape sectional, and installed my second sub. I watched Jupiter Ascending while sitting between the 2 seats that have the subs, and really enjoyed the TR. I will post a picture soon of the second sub. My middle seat is curved, so some extra planning is going to be required to make this work. Bass addiction is 2nd to none! I can't even imagine what @ Nalleh and @ Sekosche are feeling
trhought and CallingMrBenzo like this.
post #2712 of 3646 Old 06-09-2019, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiret View Post
I checked and there is room for 3 MBQuarts but they won't be centered on the chair. A single sheet of 3/4" plywood with isos will work. I have a miniDSP 2x4 HD so I am going to get a Monoprice Bridgeable Power Amp and run all 3 MB Quarts into the amp in bridged mode which provides 120 watts into a single 8-ohm load. How would I wire the speakers when using the single channel on the amp?

Looking forward to getting started. I crashed on my bike last week (riding in the rain like an idiot!) so I will have to wait a couple of weeks until my injured shoulder is healed enough to work with the platform. In the meantime, I can get everything ordered and ready to go.

Thanks for the help.

Nick
Hey Nick.....Sorry to hear about your crash. So glad it wasn't any more serious...especially being on a bike! Hoping for a quick recovery.

Thanks for the update on your BOSS plans. You can wire 3 of the dual voice coil MBQuarts for 6 ohms using the wiring diagram below. Each sub will be 2 ohms with this wiring and those 3 subs will be in series for 6 ohms total for that one channel.

This will give you ~160 watts for the bridged channel.....plenty of power for the 3 MBQuarts which will only use about 20-30 watts each.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DVC coils in parallel, subs in series.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	2578206  
post #2713 of 3646 Old 06-09-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Roger that @trhought , Wrapping and electrical tape works just fine for now. Got the JBL installed, and love it! I have an L shape sectional, and installed my second sub. I watched Jupiter Ascending while sitting between the 2 seats that have the subs, and really enjoyed the TR. I will post a picture soon of the second sub. My middle seat is curved, so some extra planning is going to be required to make this work. Bass addiction is 2nd to none! I can't even imagine what @ Nalleh and @ Sekosche are feeling
Hey Russ.....great to hear you have your second driver up and going! So awesome to hear your comments about the TR you're enjoying now with your BOSS. It really is addicting and brings so much more to the movie experience with a feeling of natural and commanding ULF.

As always, if any questions come up as your middle seat BOSS plans come into focus, just fire away.
post #2714 of 3646 Old 06-09-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Quote:
I can't even imagine what @ Nalleh and @ Sekosche are feeling
You left out the other TR king @SBuger
post #2715 of 3646 Old 06-09-2019, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey Nick.....Sorry to hear about your crash. So glad it wasn't any more serious...especially being on a bike! Hoping for a quick recovery.

Thanks for the update on your BOSS plans. You can wire 3 of the dual voice coil MBQuarts for 6 ohms using the wiring diagram below. Each sub will be 2 ohms with this wiring and those 3 subs will be in series for 6 ohms total for that one channel.

This will give you ~160 watts for the bridged channel.....plenty of power for the 3 MBQuarts which will only use about 20-30 watts each.

Thanks Tim. Exactly what I needed! Can’t wait to get this started. Very lucky on the bike. Fortunately I was riding on a bike path so no cars.
trhought likes this.
post #2716 of 3646 Old 06-10-2019, 01:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
You left out the other TR king @SBuger
Right, as @SBuger has taught me a few things as well.
post #2717 of 3646 Old 06-10-2019, 01:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks @trhought . Will have to flip that bad boy over soon and see what happens.
trhought likes this.
post #2718 of 3646 Old 06-10-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1458 Post(s)
Liked: 2069
In reference to the 24", I agree it's probably not worth it. I have 2 long throw 18's and I had to tame the 20hz and up. Only below 12hz do I let them go nuts. I sold some of my 12's to raynist so I did compare.

I would save the money and look at FU Audio, Fi audio or even the um18 instead of the 24 for boss applications.

Price wise FU audio has a 18 for $220, would be a good buy for the money. The Fi for the 33xmax would be a bigger bang for buck.

Lastly the 24 is 16" deep, crazy amount of space taken up if you cantilever or a tall riser . I dont see any chairs accommodating any part of the motor. I barely got my 18 motor under my recliner and I have 1" of space left. Try and fit a 5 gallon bucket under there, pretty close to what it would be.
DesertDog and trhought like this.
post #2719 of 3646 Old 06-10-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 3634
Watching RP1 again, and the BOSS is still a subtle wrecking ball! Love the variety and quality of bass in this movie. Didn’t blow my nearfield subs after all, doesn’t appear they’re audibly damaged anyway...yet. I also added another pair of isos to the front of the upper layer and middle of the BOSS platform for good measure.
dgrizzard and eeyoreDK like this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #2720 of 3646 Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Install of the jbl.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190608_182640_1560208364011.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	842.1 KB
ID:	2578640  
trhought and Sekosche like this.
post #2721 of 3646 Old 06-10-2019, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 686 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3545 Post(s)
Liked: 3290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Watching RP1 again, and the BOSS is still a subtle wrecking ball! Love the variety and quality of bass in this movie. Didn’t blow my nearfield subs after all, doesn’t appear they’re audibly damaged anyway...yet. I also added another pair of isos to the front of the upper layer and middle of the BOSS platform for good measure.
I've watched quite a few movies with BOSS/BEQ, and so far RP1 is the most intense. Like you say they did a great job with the bass on this one.
Sekosche and dgrizzard like this.
post #2722 of 3646 Old 06-11-2019, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think if I had a Boss platform like @Sekosche or @tvuong or @SBuger...watching RP1, my fillings would probably get knocked off of my teeth.
trhought and Sekosche like this.
post #2723 of 3646 Old 06-11-2019, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Install of the jbl.
Looks awesome Russ! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the middle curved chair!
post #2724 of 3646 Old 06-11-2019, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
In reference to the 24", I agree it's probably not worth it. I have 2 long throw 18's and I had to tame the 20hz and up. Only below 12hz do I let them go nuts. I sold some of my 12's to raynist so I did compare.

I would save the money and look at FU Audio, Fi audio or even the um18 instead of the 24 for boss applications.

Price wise FU audio has a 18 for $220, would be a good buy for the money. The Fi for the 33xmax would be a bigger bang for buck.

Lastly the 24 is 16" deep, crazy amount of space taken up if you cantilever or a tall riser . I dont see any chairs accommodating any part of the motor. I barely got my 18 motor under my recliner and I have 1" of space left. Try and fit a 5 gallon bucket under there, pretty close to what it would be.
That's a great list of MEGA BOSS drivers Gorilla. Certainly appealing for those who have larger full size risers or can work a cantilever BOSS design into their rooms and somehow hide these large drivers.

I'm thinking something like a front row of chairs with the the cantilevered MEGA BOSS platform behind that front row, then a "false" platform right behind that front row that would cover up the MEGA BOSS drivers but still allow them to breath. That "false" platform could serve as a step up to the larger full size riser for the second row with MEGA BOSS drivers in that full size riser.

Or, take @DesertDog 's idea from awhile ago and build some false platforms around the seating pieces to not only hide the cantilevered drivers but to also give an architectural appeal to the room....something like his Lamborghini room concept....that would be sweet!

Good point about the 24" SI and its height....when I first read your post, I was thinking just place a few isolators on the face of the driver, turn it upside down and put a cushion on the magnet and sit down
post #2725 of 3646 Old 06-11-2019, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I've watched quite a few movies with BOSS/BEQ, and so far RP1 is the most intense. Like you say they did a great job with the bass on this one.
Great recommendation! We'll have to watch that one again. Haven't had the chance to experience it since BOSS and BEQ have been added to our theater. I remember the race scene and the cataclyst scene having some weight to them even with the far field subs only.

@Sekosche That's awesome you didn't damage your VNF after all!
Sekosche likes this.
post #2726 of 3646 Old 06-11-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looks awesome Russ! Can't wait to see what you come up with for the middle curved chair!
Thanks @trhought. I will have to do some subjective listening/feeling this weekend, as the MB Quart is facing up, and the JBL, is facing down.
That will then help me figure out which way will mount the middle chair!
trhought likes this.
post #2727 of 3646 Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 625 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked: 3678
This might be kind of a niche need, but since I have my BOSS direct mount subwoofers tuned to play primarily 24hz and below, I'd like some visual indicator they are on, since they won't always feel apparent only driving the lowest frequencies,, and the amp that drives them is in the other room and defaults to off unless I remember to turn it on. (it's connected to an Alexa wifi plug that I can turn on and off by voice command). Yes - overcomplicated -- I know -- but it's fun to be able to play a scene with the boss on, and then the boss off, to compare without getting up out of my chair.

Anyway, I was considering some sort of LED indicator that I could put in my AV Rack and came across this signage that could be kind of fun. I'm still exploring ideas.
https://acrylicsign.en.made-in-china...tter-Sign.html

Archaea's 9.8.4 Home Theater Room
(13) JBL CBT 70j-1 | Denon x7200wa | Sherbourn PA 7-350 amplifier | (8) Ultimax 18" sealed subwoofers | (4) iNuke DSP 6000 amplifiers | (4) MB Quart 12" subwoofers mounted direct mounted to Berkline theater chairs BOSS style | Epson 5040UB Projector | Jamestown 144" acoustic transparent 2.35:1 screen w/ Seymour XD fabric

Last edited by Archaea; 06-11-2019 at 09:58 AM.
post #2728 of 3646 Old 06-11-2019, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked: 3634
Quote:
Great recommendation! We'll have to watch that one again. Haven't had the chance to experience it since BOSS and BEQ have been added to our theater. I remember the race scene and the cataclyst scene having some weight to them even with the far field subs only.

@Sekosche That's awesome you didn't damage your VNF after all!

Thanks. I’m glad I didn’t damage anything too, but it got the wheels turning on what else I could do with the space behind me that these two 15” VNF subs can’t in their current svelte boxes.

I blame the BOSS’s absurd amount of TR for wanting to play catch-up with the rest of my subs now.

I played with some HPF >40Hz on the VNF’s while watching RP1, and while I actually really like the upper bass efficiency of these subs versus something like an Ultimax, I don’t want to sacrifice any ULF or midbass. I might grab another driver and build a dual 460HO box around 10 cu ft firing right into the MLP.

After watching The Art of Flight and Interstellar again yesterday, I’m thinking a pair of 18’s behind me will be just the ticket with at least an extra 4-6dB of headroom across the board. I’ve modeled half a dozen drivers including the ones I’d like to repurpose in a ton of configurations, including the UM18-22, and the B&C 21DS115 (which has ridiculous output for the money). Too many excellent DIY options!

Happy BOSSing everyone!
trhought likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #2729 of 3646 Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
This might be kind of a niche need, but since I have my BOSS direct mount subwoofers tuned to play primarily 24hz and below, I'd like some visual indicator they are on, since they won't always feel apparent only driving the lowest frequencies,, and the amp that drives them is in the other room and defaults to off unless I remember to turn it on. (it's connected to an Alexa wifi plug that I can turn on and off by voice command). Yes - overcomplicated -- I know -- but it's fun to be able to play a scene with the boss on, and then the boss off, to compare without getting up out of my chair.

Anyway, I was considering some sort of LED indicator that I could put in my AV Rack and came across this signage that could be kind of fun. I'm still exploring ideas.
https://acrylicsign.en.made-in-china...tter-Sign.html

That's pretty cool....not sure what I like best.....your awesome idea to use it as an indicator for "BOSS in use" or the fact that they even have an emblem that says BOSS

Reminds me of the "Recording" lights in recording studios or the "On the Air" lights in broadcast studios.....clever idea!
post #2730 of 3646 Old 06-11-2019, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 1894
Quote:
Or, take @DesertDog 's idea from awhile ago and build some false platforms around the seating pieces to not only hide the cantilevered drivers but to also give an architectural appeal to the room....something like his Lamborghini room concept....that would be sweet!

Good point about the 24" SI and its height....when I first read your post, I was thinking just place a few isolators on the face of the driver, turn it upside down and put a cushion on the magnet and sit down
While I'd love to see something crazy like a BOSS with SI 24", it's really not practical. The things are way too massive. I know from doing mine that the driver depth is an issue, then you have to have the riser way off the ground compared to the JBLs, your riser has to be constructed a lot more solid just to hold it in place. I'm wondering if they might be more inefficient to use too since each one is also adding 115 pounds to the riser. That's a lot of weight to counter act. You're also paying for sound quality with the SI drivers which doesn't matter as much in BOSS use.

Speaking of cantilevered and architectural appeal. I drew up the expansion for mine over the weekend. I'll post a picture of the sketchup tonight when I get home. I'll start building it at my leisure. I'm not in a super big hurry with what I already have going and since the JBLs haven't gone on sale in awhile.

Quote:
Both of those scenes are great with BOSS. The race is one of my demo scenes for people. The wrecking ball smacks you upside the head and then Kong beats you down. It's great.
trhought likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page