The Hideaway Theater - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2806Likes

post #2731 of 2934 Old 06-11-2019, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
While I'd love to see something crazy like a BOSS with SI 24", it's really not practical. The things are way too massive. I know from doing mine that the driver depth is an issue, then you have to have the riser way off the ground compared to the JBLs, your riser has to be constructed a lot more solid just to hold it in place. I'm wondering if they might be more inefficient to use too since each one is also adding 115 pounds to the riser. That's a lot of weight to counter act. You're also paying for sound quality with the SI drivers which doesn't matter as much in BOSS use.

Speaking of cantilevered and architectural appeal. I drew up the expansion for mine over the weekend. I'll post a picture of the sketchup tonight when I get home. I'll start building it at my leisure. I'm not in a super big hurry with what I already have going and since the JBLs haven't gone on sale in awhile.

Both of those scenes are great with BOSS. The race is one of my demo scenes for people. The wrecking ball smacks you upside the head and then Kong beats you down. It's great.
Looking forward to seeing what's next in your setup DesertDog!

Forgot about the wrecking ball in that scene.....I remember Kong for sure and will now be looking forward to the wrecking ball also. By the way, I finally checked out the explosion on Ender's Game.......one word "Sweet"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2934 Old 06-11-2019, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Thanks. I’m glad I didn’t damage anything too, but it got the wheels turning on what else I could do with the space behind me that these two 15” VNF subs can’t in their current svelte boxes.

I blame the BOSS’s absurd amount of TR for wanting to play catch-up with the rest of my subs now.

I played with some HPF >40Hz on the VNF’s while watching RP1, and while I actually really like the upper bass efficiency of these subs versus something like an Ultimax, I don’t want to sacrifice any ULF or midbass. I might grab another driver and build a dual 460HO box around 10 cu ft firing right into the MLP.

After watching The Art of Flight and Interstellar again yesterday, I’m thinking a pair of 18’s behind me will be just the ticket with at least an extra 4-6dB of headroom across the board. I’ve modeled half a dozen drivers including the ones I’d like to repurpose in a ton of configurations, including the UM18-22, and the B&C 21DS115 (which has ridiculous output for the money). Too many excellent DIY options!

Happy BOSSing everyone!
Thanks Sekosche.....Happy BOSSing! For the bold above......the is AVS....resistance is futile!
post #2733 of 2934 Old 06-11-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Looking forward to seeing what's next in your setup DesertDog!

Forgot about the wrecking ball in that scene.....I remember Kong for sure and will now be looking forward to the wrecking ball also. By the way, I finally checked out the explosion on Ender's Game.......one word "Sweet"!
There's also the t-rex attack. That scene has a lot of good stuff in it. I need to do the Ender's Game explosion with my BOSS. I hasn't done it yet. I just remember watching it after I got the 24" and it felt like it was going to bring down my house. Stuff was rattling that I didn't know could rattle.
trhought likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2734 of 2934 Old 06-11-2019, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
Quote:
Thanks. I’m glad I didn’t damage anything too, but it got the wheels turning on what else I could do with the space behind me that these two 15” VNF subs can’t in their current svelte boxes.

I blame the BOSS’s absurd amount of TR for wanting to play catch-up with the rest of my subs now.

I played with some HPF >40Hz on the VNF’s while watching RP1, and while I actually really like the upper bass efficiency of these subs versus something like an Ultimax, I don’t want to sacrifice any ULF or midbass. I might grab another driver and build a dual 460HO box around 10 cu ft firing right into the MLP.

After watching The Art of Flight and Interstellar again yesterday, I’m thinking a pair of 18’s behind me will be just the ticket with at least an extra 4-6dB of headroom across the board. I’ve modeled half a dozen drivers including the ones I’d like to repurpose in a ton of configurations, including the UM18-22, and the B&C 21DS115 (which has ridiculous output for the money). Too many excellent DIY options!

Happy BOSSing everyone!
Go to the next level and get the B&C, you won't regret it.
Sekosche likes this.

8hz ULF TR for the masses and the Cashless. Like a BOSS

If you can't stand behind our troops stand in front of them
post #2735 of 2934 Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
This might be kind of a niche need, but since I have my BOSS direct mount subwoofers tuned to play primarily 24hz and below, I'd like some visual indicator they are on, since they won't always feel apparent only driving the lowest frequencies,, and the amp that drives them is in the other room and defaults to off unless I remember to turn it on. (it's connected to an Alexa wifi plug that I can turn on and off by voice command). Yes - overcomplicated -- I know -- but it's fun to be able to play a scene with the boss on, and then the boss off, to compare without getting up out of my chair.

Anyway, I was considering some sort of LED indicator that I could put in my AV Rack and came across this signage that could be kind of fun. I'm still exploring ideas.
https://acrylicsign.en.made-in-china...tter-Sign.html

Thought that looked familiar, that's the Hugo Boss logo. Got to love the Chinese & their disregard for copyright.
post #2736 of 2934 Old 06-11-2019, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hi - can someone model this sub and tell me if it is a worthwhile candidate.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub TS.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	2579032  
post #2737 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post
There's also the t-rex attack. That scene has a lot of good stuff in it. I need to do the Ender's Game explosion with my BOSS. I hasn't done it yet. I just remember watching it after I got the 24" and it felt like it was going to bring down my house. Stuff was rattling that I didn't know could rattle.
So, I couldn't resist.....had some free time last night. Re-muxed Ready Player One on our Plex server and added some BEQ filters.

Gave the race scene a spin......was so impressed by the experience, I re-watched it again. Probably watched it 6 or 7 more times, each time noticing something new about the bass texture and ULF TR. What I remember most now is how the sleeper sofa in our front row felt like it was swaying left and right depending on the on screen action. Especially when they approached the part of the highway that has ramps that curve to the left. As the camera/car is going up the ramp and starts tilting to the left to make the jump....oh my gosh! It literally felt like a roller coaster as the g's were delivered to the body.

I know I've said it before, but there's some serious psycho-acoustic stuff going on when experiencing ULF TR. With that scene and several others in that race event, you can feel side-to-side TR.

Even though side-to-side TR isn't possible, my brain was tricking me into thinking the g's were coming from the left and right side of my body when appropriate based on what my eyes were seeing on the screen. Still can't believe the realism of that race scene.

And, the heightened sense of fear as the wrecking balls, t-rex and Kong attack from the sides....wow!

Going to try to watch the rest of the movie tonight if time permits....can't wait to experience the cataclyst explosion.
post #2738 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAttewell View Post
Thought that looked familiar, that's the Hugo Boss logo. Got to love the Chinese & their disregard for copyright.
Thanks Adam.....yeah, it does indeed look like the Hugo BOSS logo. Reminds me of my times in Asia. My wife and I were living in Thailand for a couple years while I was helping the company I work for start up an operation over there. There were many folks visiting that part of Thailand from the company to help with the start-up efforts and most would wear shirts with a small company logo on them. After about 6 months living there, my wife, while on one of her shopping adventures, noticed some knock-off shirts being sold on the streets. What was funny was some of them had the company logo on them....lol. Guess someone thought it was a hot new clothing brand from the US
post #2739 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 3399
The Hideaway Theater

Wow, the movie Don’t Breathe + BOSS = sledge hammer to the couch! This is such a ridiculous bass track already, but the swift and visceral impact of a lot of the bass presentation in this movie with the BOSS literally feels like someone is hitting my seating with a jack hammer. One of my new favorites for a BOSS demo!

Running the LPF @35hz 12dB/slope is my preference (need to try a negative HSF out still)

@trhought As you just mentioned, I’m noticing so many more layers to the ULF now more than ever with the BOSS. The MA’s opened my eyes up the the deep bass TR I was missing, but the BOSS takes it to a whole new level.

Borrowed from the bass thread:
trhought likes this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast

Last edited by Sekosche; 06-12-2019 at 07:46 AM.
post #2740 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
Hi - can someone model this sub and tell me if it is a worthwhile candidate.
Thanks
Hey niterida.....Thanks for the update on your driver search over there. The Optimum 12" has a moving mass of .64x the JBL (114g vs. 179g) and an Xmax multiplier of .73x the JBL (11mm vs. 15mm) for a shaker potential of .47 when compared to the JBL. So, basically it would take 2 of those to equal 1 JBL.

The good news....it only takes about half the power of the JBL's (45 watts to reach Xmax vs. the 80 watts for the JBL). So if your platform is stiff and you can accommodate 4-6 of the Optimum's in your BOSS design, they will deliver a great BOSS experience with about the same power needed as the JBL's.

The frequency response looks comparable to the JBL's using the T/S parameters per below graph from WinISD. Actually it's not quite as peaky in the 20Hz range so the overall frequency response is quite favorable for a BOSS.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Optimum 12 inch.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	2579144  
post #2741 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wow, the movie Don’t Breathe + BOSS = sledge hammer to the couch! This is such a ridiculous bass track already, but the swift and visceral impact of a lot of the bass presentation in this movie with the BOSS literally feels like someone is hitting my seating with a jack hammer. One of my new favorites for a BOSS demo!

Running the LPF @35hz 12dB/slope is my preference (need to try a negative HSF out still)

@trhought As you just mentioned, I’m noticing so many more layers to the ULF now more than ever with the BOSS. The MA’s opened my eyes up the the deep bass TR I was missing, but the BOSS takes it to a whole new level.

Borrowed from the bass thread:
Sekosche....Thanks for the hot tip on Don't Breathe...just added it to my BEQ re-mux list.

I remember watching Don't Breathe when it first came out on blu-ray. It was quite suspenseful then. Really looking forward to watching it again with the extra BOSS TR and a dash of BEQ. I imagine the extra ULF this time around is going to amp the intensity of that movie in a very good way!
post #2742 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Hey niterida.....Thanks for the update on your driver search over there. The Optimum 12" has a moving mass of .64x the JBL (114g vs. 179g) and an Xmax multiplier of .73x the JBL (11mm vs. 15mm) for a shaker potential of .47 when compared to the JBL. So, basically it would take 2 of those to equal 1 JBL.

The good news....it only takes about half the power of the JBL's (45 watts to reach Xmax vs. the 80 watts for the JBL). So if your platform is stiff and you can accommodate 4-6 of the Optimum's in your BOSS design, they will deliver a great BOSS experience with about the same power needed as the JBL's.

The frequency response looks comparable to the JBL's using the T/S parameters per below graph from WinISD. Actually it's not quite as peaky in the 20Hz range so the overall frequency response is quite favorable for a BOSS.
Thanks Tim - unfortunately they are old Clarion car subs that I found in a wrecker for $15 each but there was only 2 of them. I can get hold of a 15" version which has 235g and 12.5mm. Would running 2 x 12" and 1 x 15" work ?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/28...on-Xw1500.html

Cheers
post #2743 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1484
Quote:
So, I couldn't resist.....had some free time last night. Re-muxed Ready Player One on our Plex server and added some BEQ filters.

Gave the race scene a spin......was so impressed by the experience, I re-watched it again. Probably watched it 6 or 7 more times, each time noticing something new about the bass texture and ULF TR. What I remember most now is how the sleeper sofa in our front row felt like it was swaying left and right depending on the on screen action. Especially when they approached the part of the highway that has ramps that curve to the left. As the camera/car is going up the ramp and starts tilting to the left to make the jump....oh my gosh! It literally felt like a roller coaster as the g's were delivered to the body.

I know I've said it before, but there's some serious psycho-acoustic stuff going on when experiencing ULF TR. With that scene and several others in that race event, you can feel side-to-side TR.

Even though side-to-side TR isn't possible, my brain was tricking me into thinking the g's were coming from the left and right side of my body when appropriate based on what my eyes were seeing on the screen. Still can't believe the realism of that race scene.

And, the heightened sense of fear as the wrecking balls, t-rex and Kong attack from the sides....wow!

Going to try to watch the rest of the movie tonight if time permits....can't wait to experience the cataclyst explosion.
Go buy a mouth guard first so that you don't have to go to the dentist tomorrow.
trhought likes this.

BEQ Slack group
The struggle is real for Generation Xplain Digital to the Analog and Analog to the Digital.
Klipsch RF-7III, RC-64III
SI HS-24mkIII BOSS-Sac
Sony 85X900F, Denon 8500, nVidia Shield, Apple TV
post #2744 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Tim - unfortunately they are old Clarion car subs that I found in a wrecker for $15 each but there was only 2 of them. I can get hold of a 15" version which has 235g and 12.5mm. Would running 2 x 12" and 1 x 15" work ?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/28...on-Xw1500.html

Cheers
The Clarion 15 inch has 1.3x the moving mass of one JBL (235g vs. 179g) and .83x the Xmax (12.5mm vs. 15mm) for a shaker potential of 1.1x or about the same as 1 JBL.

It will take about 80 watts to reach Xmax per below WinISD model with a frequency response very similar to the JBL....red is the Clarion.

So, to maximize BOSS performance, the 15 inch would need a separate amp channel since it will behave differently than the 12 inch subs given the same power. It will need about twice as much power as the 12 inch drivers to get the maximum shaker potential.

If it is fed the same 45 watts as the 12 inch subs, its Xmax multiplier becomes .63x (9.5mm Xmax) for a shaker potential of .82x when combined with its 235g of moving mass. So, it wouldn't be quite as strong as 1 JBL.

If you only have 1 amp channel, I would just use all 3 on that one amp channel which would be roughly the equivalent of 2 JBL's. If you have 2 channels, that would allow the 15 inch to be ran with more power to increase it's shaker potential a bit more. I'm not sure there would be much difference between the single amp channel setup and the two amp channel setup since the difference on paper really isn't that much.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clarion 15 inch.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	2579208  
post #2745 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
The Clarion 15 inch has 1.3x the moving mass of one JBL (235g vs. 179g) and .83x the Xmax (12.5mm vs. 15mm) for a shaker potential of 1.1x or about the same as 1 JBL.

It will take about 80 watts to reach Xmax per below WinISD model with a frequency response very similar to the JBL....red is the Clarion.

So, to maximize BOSS performance, the 15 inch would need a separate amp channel since it will behave differently than the 12 inch subs given the same power. It will need about twice as much power as the 12 inch drivers to get the maximum shaker potential.

If it is fed the same 45 watts as the 12 inch subs, its Xmax multiplier becomes .63x (9.5mm Xmax) for a shaker potential of .82x when combined with its 235g of moving mass. So, it wouldn't be quite as strong as 1 JBL.

If you only have 1 amp channel, I would just use all 3 on that one amp channel which would be roughly the equivalent of 2 JBL's. If you have 2 channels, that would allow the 15 inch to be ran with more power to increase it's shaker potential a bit more. I'm not sure there would be much difference between the single amp channel setup and the two amp channel setup since the difference on paper really isn't that much.
Awesome - thank you
trhought likes this.
post #2746 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Awesome - thank you
If there is a BOSS GOD out there the JBLs will go on sale for fathers day!!!!!!!! I promise I will be good
Chris Young and trhought like this.
post #2747 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
.....After about 6 months living there, my wife..noticed some knock-off shirts being sold on the streets...some of them had the company logo on them....lol. Guess someone thought it was a hot new clothing brand from the US
That's hilarious!
post #2748 of 2934 Old 06-12-2019, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longeze View Post
That's hilarious!
Yeah....it was the running joke around the office for quite some time I can only imagine how surprised some one must have been when none of them sold.

Last edited by trhought; 06-12-2019 at 07:30 PM.
post #2749 of 2934 Old 06-13-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1378 Post(s)
Liked: 3399
The BOSS meets Battle Los Angeles this morning...I put my helmet on.
Chris Young, trhought and Nalleh like this.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos-SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2, DIY: 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2, BOSS w/JBL CX1200 x6
MA’s: Crowson Tech x2
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #2750 of 2934 Old 06-13-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Help with design

I have 3 power recliner chairs in a straight line. The recliner mechanisms are close to the floor when the chairs are closed. About 1 1/2 inches. I am going to have one MB Quart 12 “ driver under each chair with the driver facing the floor so I need 3+ inches of clearance. My two options as I see it are to build up the bottom of each chair or to add additional sheets of plywood to the BOSS platform to make sure I have enough clearance. Any positives or negatives for the two options either from a construction standpoint or an audio standpoint?

The only downside to the additional sheets of plywood that I can see is the weight of the platform.

Thanks,

Nick
post #2751 of 2934 Old 06-13-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiret View Post
I have 3 power recliner chairs in a straight line. The recliner mechanisms are close to the floor when the chairs are closed. About 1 1/2 inches. I am going to have one MB Quart 12 “ driver under each chair with the driver facing the floor so I need 3+ inches of clearance. My two options as I see it are to build up the bottom of each chair or to add additional sheets of plywood to the BOSS platform to make sure I have enough clearance. Any positives or negatives for the two options either from a construction standpoint or an audio standpoint?

The only downside to the additional sheets of plywood that I can see is the weight of the platform.

Thanks,

Nick
I too was hampered by the amount of clearance since I wanted to keep my shakers already mounted in my couch. I wanted a decent rigid platform without too much weight so I cut my 3/4" plywood in half then glued/screwed together for the platform. Then to get the 2 more inches of needed clearance, I made riser posts/feet to replace the existing little plastic feet on the bottom of the couch.
For the riser feet, I used standard 1-1/2" diameter wooden dowel, stained it, then cut with the chop saw, drilled the thru hole & counter bored one side for a bolt head used to mount to the couch. Pretty slick for getting the added clearance without adversely affecting the overall weight. The picture I've attached is somewhat dark, but I think you'll get what I've described.

EDIT: demo'd the chopper drop scene from Lone Survivor last night with BEQ - Shook the remote right off the couch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190602_141809.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	2579484  
Sekosche likes this.

Sony 75X940E, Denon X6200w, Sony X700, Roku Ultra, MiniDSP 2x4HD
Parasound (2x)HCA-855a, HCA-750a, Sony ES4300
Mission 705a L&R, dual 70c3 C, 703 SL&SR, 705 BL&BR, (4x)Yamaha NSIC800 Atmos
LFE- Front: M&K MX-200 & MX-150THX; Rear: M&K V-75 & Klipsch RW-12
ULF- 12" JBL(6x) Mini-riser BOSS + (3x)Aura AST-2B-4 shakers

Last edited by Kevnmin; 06-13-2019 at 08:26 AM.
post #2752 of 2934 Old 06-13-2019, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevnmin View Post
I too was hampered by the amount of clearance since I wanted to keep my shakers already mounted in my couch. I wanted a decent rigid platform without too much weight so I cut my 3/4" plywood in half then glued/screwed together for the platform. Then to get the 2 more inches of needed clearance, I made riser posts/feet to replace the existing little plastic feet on the bottom of the couch.
For the riser feet, I used standard 1-1/2" diameter wooden dowel, stained it, then cut with the chop saw, drilled the thru hole & counter bored one side for a bolt head used to mount to the couch. Pretty slick for getting the added clearance without adversely affecting the overall weight. The picture I've attached is somewhat dark, but I think you'll get what I've described.

EDIT: demo'd the chopper drop scene from Lone Survivor last night with BEQ - Shook the remote right off the couch.
Kevnmin,

I like it! I removed my shakers but still did not give me the clearance I needed.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nick
Kevnmin likes this.
post #2753 of 2934 Old 06-13-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsiret View Post

Thanks,

Nick
Hey Nick.....good question about either design approach. Both will work fine and neither approach will adversely affect your BOSS experience. As long as the platform is kept rigid and moves up and down uniformly, your BOSS design will deliver a great experience with either a thicker platform or taller legs.

It's more a matter of aesthetics and goals for how you want the final product to look. Some folks don't mind a thick platform and it can actually look like it's part of the furniture if finished properly.

For the bold above.....the extra weight of the platform won't impact the BOSS performance. The extra weight will actually improve the BOSS system natural frequency on paper by reducing it a few Hz which is a step in the direction of goodness. But, whether that small difference in natural frequency performance gain can be noticed is TR delivered to the butt is debatable.

The taller furniture legs will work just as well also. It really depend on what kind of look you're after.

Just keep the platform design rigid and your BOSS will deliver the natural ULF TR that it's known for with authority. You'll be surprised how violent the BOSS can be when needed while also delivering subtle nuanced ULF TR effects in more quiet scenes. Your overall movie and music experience will be enhanced considerably with your BOSS.
Sekosche likes this.
post #2754 of 2934 Old 06-14-2019, 01:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Quoted: 6791 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
How about a sheet of 2cm thick Gel, cut into 5cmx5cm pads and glued together to give 4cm thickness - can get 12 out of a sheet for $32 - or $2.70 each

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2cm-Sili...m/112885011894
how about these?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/whites-5...-pack_p3961977

JVC X9500 (RS620) | 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | DIY Modular Towers | DIY TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Atmos | DIY 18" Subs
-
MadVR Settings | UHD Waveform Analysis | Arve Tool Instructions + V3 Javs Curves
post #2755 of 2934 Old 06-14-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Been watching the race scene in Ready Player One over and over and I'm still amazed at how the BOSS can make the bass feel louder and deeper. That T-Rex and kong sure do make the air move under the platform! I used to run my subs hot to get that impact and feel but now I've turned them down a bit (to save my hearing and the house structure) because the boss just makes up for the reduced volume.

Question is I've been seeing in a lot of pics in this thread where there is an extra piece of wood under the isolators on top of the carpet.
Would something like carpet protector caster cups help?

Going to try some anyway and report back my findings.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	2579792  
post #2756 of 2934 Old 06-14-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Hey Javs....Thanks for the link. I didn't see a durometer specified for those vibration dampeners. For optimum BOSS performance, the rubber should be 20-30 durometer and it shouldn't have any dampening agents added to the rubber like sorbothane does if that makes sense. You want the rubber to have "bouncy" properties and not absorbing properties. Straight silicone rubber, urethane rubber, etc. is what you're looking for when selecting an appropriate isolator below your platform. If the rubber is "bouncy" and has a durometer between 20-30, it will perform great.
Javs likes this.
post #2757 of 2934 Old 06-14-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2541 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricE View Post
I used to run my subs hot to get that impact and feel but now I've turned them down a bit (to save my hearing and the house structure) because the boss just makes up for the reduced volume.
I did the same thing after having the BOSS in place. I don't run my subs as hot now (+3 instead of +8) and my normal listening level also went down to -20 MV instead of -15. The Boss still makes up for the -10db bass reduction and much more

By the way Eric, love your theater. Very nice equipment and super clean look. Well done, man.
Kevnmin likes this.
post #2758 of 2934 Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Been watching the race scene in Ready Player One over and over and I'm still amazed at how the BOSS can make the bass feel louder and deeper. That T-Rex and kong sure do make the air move under the platform! I used to run my subs hot to get that impact and feel but now I've turned them down a bit (to save my hearing and the house structure) because the boss just makes up for the reduced volume.

Question is I've been seeing in a lot of pics in this thread where there is an extra piece of wood under the isolators on top of the carpet.
Would something like carpet protector caster cups help?

Going to try some anyway and report back my findings.
Hey EricE.....those look like they would definitely help reduce the carpet and carpet padding sag over time. Reason I say that, if I'm looking at the picture correctly, it appears there's spikes on the bottom of cups. If so, those spikes would pierce through the carpet and padding and go directly to the base floor below. That would certainly eliminate any crushing of the carpet and padding and prevent sagging over time also.

Placing the isolators on top of those would not only provide the proper BOSS "floatiness", but would also maintain any spacing between the platform and carpet that is needed for the BOSS drivers to breath. Great find! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to learning more about your experience with them.
post #2759 of 2934 Old 06-14-2019, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
I did the same thing after having the BOSS in place. I don't run my subs as hot now (+3 instead of +8) and my normal listening level also went down to -20 MV instead of -15. The Boss still makes up for the -10db bass reduction and much more

By the way Eric, love your theater. Very nice equipment and super clean look. Well done, man.
Thanks tvuong. Had this version of the theatre since 2003 and now I'm planning on a major reno HT 2.0 in a few months. BOSS and height speakers.

Thanks to Tim and his BOSS idea, I've had to delay the reno just to try it out! I was having thoughts of going for an IB sub system but my wife wasn't too happy with having even more vibration upstairs.
post #2760 of 2934 Old 06-14-2019, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks tvuong. Had this version of the theatre since 2003 and now I'm planning on a major reno HT 2.0 in a few months. BOSS and height speakers.

Thanks to Tim and his BOSS idea, I've had to delay the reno just to try it out! I was having thoughts of going for an IB sub system but my wife wasn't too happy with having even more vibration upstairs.
EricE.....sorry for the delay in your renovation plans Hopefully the BOSS will help with WAF especially if the IB system can be avoided. Those systems do indeed make for very unpleasant experiences in other parts of the house while the BOSS is quietly doing it's job and not heard or felt until you sit down on it

Looking forward to learning more about your plans for HT2.0 and how you intend to add height speakers. I'm currently looking at layout options for height speakers in our theater also and am leaning towards an Auro setup. Mostly because of the great reviews of its upmixing capability with not only movies but also music. Also, the speaker placement isn't as intrusive for our theater layout....they can be hidden in our acoustically transparent soffits rather easily. Still trying to figure out where to place the VOG though....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page