post #1 of 2859 Old 07-20-2018, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 943
The Hideaway Theater

******Edit******

For those coming here to get details about the BOSS, those pictures and description start in Post 10 and there's a drawing and guidelines in Post 29 if you want to construct your own. Also, there's a few testimonials below from members who have built a BOSS and posted their impressions. Wanted to share for those who are on the fence about building one for your living room or theater and don't want to read through this entire thread to find these golden nuggets.

Also, one member asked what I thought was a great question...."what's the difference between a BOSS and other sub-in-riser platforms we've seen before."

BOSS features:

1. Open Baffle Design...no SPL to worry about integrating with your far-field subs. Set it and forget it.
2. Drivers mounted in horizontal arrangement....more efficient transfer of TR to the body than vertical arrangements
3. More excursion than buttkickers and maybe even more than tactile transducers....comparison testing coming soon.
4. More sensitive than buttkickers or tactile transducers.....only 80 watts needed per driver
5. Main volume levels can be kept low while still delivery respectable TR and the experience doesn't get lost with low MV
6. As MV approaches reference, the BOSS keeps responding in a natural way keeping in line the the far-field SPL increase
7. Low cost....it's only $90 for the 3 drivers plus a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood for $35
8. The mini-riser BOSS can fit under any front row or living room chair/couch. It's only 1.75" tall!

Number 1 and 2 are the probably the biggest differences between the BOSS and more traditional subs in risers....being an open baffle design, means it's more efficient and doesn't take much power to reach max excursion. Open baffle also means the sound waves cancel and there's no SPL...perfect for integration with existing far-field subs without having to re-calibrate. The horizontal configuration means most of that excursion transfers directly to your body in an up-down motion which is how we feel ULF in the real world.

There's some videos of the BOSS's in action also in posts 72 and 73. After watching the videos, remember all that ULF and TR is in every seat and every row of our theater including our 3rd row bar...all for less than $250 and 80 watts per driver.

-----------------Testimonials ---------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Young View Post
More news about my BOSS lowriser build,

This thing is one of the best things I've added to my home theater period.

This morning I still had company visiting and was asked to please demo the Rock movie "San Andreas" it's a bass filtered movie also so I loaded up the BEQ for that movie and sat off left center of the front row. Guest sat in the center. OMG this was the most amazing and realistic feeling of what an earthquake would feel like replicated in my room. From our hair moving in the air to the BOSS crushing my body as the earthquake scene was starting in the restaurant scene. I pushed the MV 2 -dB higher then my now lower main listening volume to MV-10 I was downright grinning from ear to ear yet scared of my neighbors calling me to turn it down. Yeah, that didn't happen and that made me happy I'm achieving my goals of not disturbing my neighbors and having a great experience in the process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Totally agree, my 18 was good on the carpet but the Iso's bring a whole new level. I watched War of Worlds with just the riser on and zero bass spl, nothing but wide open TR. Low Pass at 40 HZ keeps it real. This really is a game changer in that 2k for a Crowson Package is probably not going to be on your radar after install. I realize I went bigger than needed, im in for $60 at this point because I had stuff not in use. Although this is AVS, if we weren't all trying to top the next guy we'd all have Bose systems

I could not take anymore TR, this is the shudder my house did with my IB but under my seat and not my house moaning. Anybody with a couple hundred bucks, free time, and yearning for some TR should be rolling with this.

This was a quick build to see if it would work and if I liked it. I may just carpet this and do the couch section with the other 18, considering the jbls since they are shorter but ill only be out wood if I stick with what i have.

Good looking out Tim, next level ****e.!!!!!! this really deserves a thread in the DIY section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCallas View Post
I was worried about the 3 sheets hurting because of the extra weight, but this thing shakes the platform and my recliner so violently and seemingly effortlessly that you would think it weighs nothing.

It just doesnt seem right that such a low level 15 inch driver powered by a receiver of all things should be able to thrash my seat around so violently, but it does it, cleanly and with authority. The effect is not like what you would experience in a 4d movie at Universal Studios, that tactile is more one noted and gets repetitive quickly. With this you actually feel each bass note as it was intended.

Using Aquaman as an example, the shark ramming the glass feels very different from the soldiers busting through the light house walls which feels very different from a trident blast which feels very different from a water bubble burst. It makes you like it more and more as opposed to growing tired of it quickly and wanting to turn it off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Ok all my TR lovin' Brethren, finally got to check this BOSS beast out and have initial impressions so far with what little bit of time I've been able to spend with it. In a word or three .....Just Freaking WOW!!! This thing met my expectations (which were quite high), and maybe even exceeded them Tim, this BOSS of yours is pure genius!!! And for a $150 ...dayum brah !!

I haven't done any big comparisons or anything yet to BKs or MAs. BUT, I can tell you that it feels like a combo of the two to me, a best of both worlds type of thing in my short experience so far, which is just bad ass in my book!! Because I love both of those in their own way and have ran them for years. Are the MAs better at singles where they really excel and as good as the BKs in that 12-27hz area that I love them for?? I don't know for sure yet, but I tell ya, its real possible ...it's damn good and this BOSS is stayin!! hehehehehe
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Last night @Archaea was over and I showed him the BOSS setup both the front row and rear row. Both are a lot of fun, the more I use the BOSS the more I don't think I will keep my VNF sub or my Crowson.

An added/unexpected benefit to the rear riser is that the bass sounds fantastic even with the front 8 18's muted, especially when sitting in the back row. I wasn't happy the day I set it all up because I wanted little to no sound out of the rear riser like I have in the front mini riser but now that I have it all dialed in I'm really happy I have that bass sound. Pretty dumb luck (after tweaking the distances of course) that everything is playing together so nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Yes, I visited carp's last night, and it's the best transducer experience I've had so far. I've tested/experienced Buttkickers, Clarks, Earthquakes, Guitammer, Aura, Crowson, and nearfield subs (ported JTR captivators and various sealed subwoofers up to 24", 18" 15" 10", etc), so that covers most of them. The BOSS was really amazing. @carp clearly has a fantastic feel down to 3Hz test tone on the front BOSS platform, and down to 4Hz on the rear riser platform. He showed me quite a bit of configurations and demo material last night in the short time we had and I walked away very impressed. He's been telling me it was good, but I had my doubts, figuring I already had three nearfield 18's, how much better could it be?

Well, it's just another level of shake all together, and does feel very natural. It's the top of the crop for tactile feedback IMO. So much so that I'm going to map out using three Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1 d 10" subs I already have into my own BOSS platform at some point. Those squishy rubber feet you guys are using seem to help a lot too. Just carp's bodyweight getting onto and off of the riser could be felt, and made the riser bounce, with those feet. @carp 's room has so much ULF firepower, with or without the BOSS it's great - but the BOSS takes it to Plaid.

Blankets sitting on his chairs literally were bouncing off, my feet were visibly hoping up and down on his ottoman that sits on the rear riser in front of the couch. Frankly - it can easily be too much, but it's fun! Price to tactile performance is off the charts with those JBL drivers!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
Update...I finally stopped testing and actually watched a movie. I just watched Overlord with my dad and nephew. OMG the bass in the movie...legit. The BOSS platform...wow!!!

I usually spend a lot of time turning things up and listening for anything out of place and gradually go from there. I just went for it LOL. I honestly was waiting for something to go 💥. Those little JBLs just kept truckin. Man it felt just as powerful as the Crowsons (at the level I was listening). I can't believe it.

It seemed that the platform benefited from the added weight of people sitting on it besides just me. No noises no creaks it just felt good.

After watching Overlord, I put on the Hulk. It handled the street fight scene like a champ. I'll play with timing and maybe a little EQ but I'm still in disbelief how good it is at this point right now. I’ll gradually work to finding the limits so I can bring up single digits but man what great follow up to last night’s fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDog View Post

The BOSS got fired up tonight and wow. It's almost violent, I love it. I started off playing a test tone video that starts 1hz, jumps to 5 hz and then increases by 5 every 4 seconds. I get nothing at 1hz, but 5 hz gets a nice bit of rumble, then gets strong at 10, 15, and 20, then eases back a little. The test tones were actually a bit deceptive. Playing about about -20 there was a huge amount of mechanical noise from the riser. Almost like I hadn't secured the frame fully to the plywood. I thought it was going to destroy itself so I back the gain knobs way down. It had me nervous.

I switched over to some demo clips and found them lacking. I had to turn the gains back up to about where they were before. When playing them turned back up I wasn't getting any of the mechanical noise an beating the test tones gave. So I was back to being happy.

A couple of the other scenes I was testing with:
- The Art of Flight demo scene from the AVS disc. It had a nice feel to it, nothing to strong and mixed nicely. Like when they're riding the mini-avalanches it gave a slight rumble like I was on the snow with it. The other thing that stood out was when the mics were picking up the helicopter blades. There was a nice feel that went a long with them.

- Pulse server room. I don't want you guys to bust my BOSS-sac but it was almost too much being played at -10. It was teeth chattering and bone crunching. I had the 24" turned off at the time. If I turn it on and play the scene at 0 like I've done in the past I think I might literally get ill from how violent the BOSS will be along with how much pressurization will be in the room. I might be able to torture people with it. I wish W was still president so that I could make some extra coin doing interrogations for him.

- Both the Dolby Amaze and Leafless demos had nice rumble to them where they should.

Then a gave a quick spin with a few songs to try it out. I grabbed NiN Down In It, Glass Animals Gooey, and Anthrax Bring the Noise. All of them had a nice texture going to them that was missing before in my system. It made for a nice enhancement. I might play around with making a separate config on the miniDSP for music with the cross point slightly higher and tailored more for the 40-60 hz range.

Over all it's been a good first night and I think it'll get better as I dial it in more with everything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla Killa View Post
Yesterday and this morning have me sold the mini riser is the better experience as well. There's audible spl as opposed to the full riser I had, not interfering with the FR or experience but when running with REW sweeps it is there. 70db at -15 so its nothing when running in the pack. Its not as intense as the 18's in some scenes, but it's isn't enough for me to go to a full riser again. If I put a back row in that will be ok since I won't be sitting there for the most part anyway.

Running with no lpf is growing on me quickly, reminds me of sitting in a car when listening to music. Spotify has the JW soundtrack with different mixes that all sound great. Think, The Drowning, In My Mind all sound epic.

Overall great experience across the board, probably paint it next weekend and close the chapter on the build and enjoy.
Quote:
Yep I’ve only got 3 JBLs in the full riser (1 per seat) and MAs on top of platform. @Sekosche – yep they combine well on top of the riser.

I gotta say though, the more time I spend with this BOSS the more I love it. I messed with it quite a bit today and it’s just so good. In fact, I may completely do away with all other TR components, except the VNF subs. Between the BOSS and VNFs combined (I love my VNFs too), I don’t know that I’ve ever felt more natural, realistic and intense (when needed) TR on these movie tracks. The BOSS is very, very, very good!!!!!!!!! Actually, I can’t hardly believe just how good it is. After todays sessions, I think if I use my MAs at all, it’ll only be in the 10hz and under range. I need to mess with them some more in the mix down real low only and see. The MAs are great too and have serious power (I’ve got 6 of them and love them) and they feel really similar, but the BOSS just feels so right in so many ways on these movie tracks, almost to the point of being pretty freaky/uncanny that it’s so real feeling. I’m seriously impressed with this thing, especially in combo with my VNFs (for me, I think it may just be a match made in heaven )

Thanks, Tim, for sharing your ‘baby’ with us!!! It really is pretty crazy just how realistic this thing feels once you get it dialed in well to work with your seating type.

Since I’ve got room for 3 more JBLs in my full riser (6’' x 40” x 8’) I may put in 3 more JBLs for 6. I don’t even know if I need them though. At least it didn't seem like it today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
I applied the recommended filters on the iNuke, and bumped up my Crowson limiter to their max handling (always ran them 100 watts lower per MA for safety), and I lowered the BOSS to 345 watts total, or 115w per driver, because they’re seriously powerful with more than 150w each and I have yet to hear a bad sound from them.

I remember being pretty darn excited when I got the Crowsons, as my large room on hard floors had zero TR down low, and this was long before I had all soft isolators that really help out, but the BOSS has taken TR to “a whole nother level.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
I continue to be impressed by the BOSS. Able to get TR down to 3-4hz for the amount of money spent on this is insane. It feels like an extension of the main subs and seems so natural and integrated it’s fantastic. I have been playing with the crossover and LS filters and finally finding what I like. Had never known what 4hz feels like. It’s a strange wobble and me likes it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
I agree. If I hadn’t experience the BOSS for myself, I‘m not sure I’d believe most people if they told me I’d get this kind of performance from what’s essentially a sheet of plywood on isos and a few cheap $29 drivers. We’re lucky to get such low pricing in the states!

For BOSS-curious people, if the design will work with your seating and room, I strongly suggest you try it.

As you said, being an extension of the subs and feeling so natural is why it’s ridiculous to me how cheap one can build it for versus the alternatives. I really love my Crowsons for what they are capable of and ease of use, but the BOSS application puts them to shame in price/performance.

The BOSS is also way more visceral than even my near field subs could hope to provide into most of my body. I get good chest/kidney punch from nearfields, but it almost feels like my pants are going to rip off with the BOSS.

Also, I forgot if I mentioned I actually turned off one of my 18” marty subs to run the BOSS, because I ran out of amp channels for now; and it’s still vastly superior to the previous setup in TR throughput.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I thought Hacksaw Ridge was a great workout for my BOSS. Until I saw this movie I really questioned what all the hype was about when it came to all this TR everyone was talking about. When the navy bombarded the island to soften up the Japanese positions my wine glass was doing gymnastics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
I have been playing with my BOSS for the last couple days and like everyone said: it is amazing, truly is. I feel thing I didn’t notice before as it wobbles a lot more now. The first scene I tried was the Lone survivor chopper scene as I knew I didn’t feel anything with my subs before. This time with boss, I can feel it in my seat/body as the chopper flying through - very cool.

What I like the most about the BOSS is being able to have the TR and wobble effects at -25MV on my AVR and it feels very real. I was testing the boss out with a song from Paul Rodgers: Live in Glasgow but I enjoyed it so much that I ended up watching the whole concert. It sounded like I was there in the concert with each drum and bass notes hitting my back and body . To test it out, without changing anything, I stood up, and the feel to the sound was missing then I sat down and boom there it was

I spent about $900 and a weekend building my 8 Jbl boss, it is easily one of the best upgrade I made to my theater. I have been to about 20 AVSers’ houses listening to some of the badest *ss systems hitting above reference up to 150db and I am glad to report that my boss TR has surpassed the TR of those systems

Again, I would like to thank Tim for such a great find and thanks Sbuger for all of his inspirational posts
******End Edit*******

Wanted to share some pics of our 20 year old home theater and give back to our wonderful AVS community.

My apologies up front for my lack of a DSLR camera and resulting magazine perfect images. These pictures are from my trusty i-phone to help illustrate some design concepts and ideas despite the lack of lush colors, exquisite detail and sharp images.

After that disclaimer, if you’re still reading, I’m a long time lurker, seldom poster but daily AVS’er. We GC’d our house in 1998 with provisions for a 17’x30x’9’ dedicated home theater in the basement. Being in Louisiana, a basement is a luxury most don’t have and we’ve been making the most of it ever since the home completed in late ’98. We didn’t have any children when the house was built and now have three, ages 19, 15 and 13. The theater has provided many great memories so far for friends and family along the way.

When designing the house and theater space in the mid-90’s, internet was in its infancy without many of the readily available home theater design/construction resources available today. Most of my knowledge came from books and magazines from the day that sometimes featured articles on dedicated home theater spaces and some of the science behind room acoustics. Being a mechanical engineer with an understanding of physics, wave propagation, resonance frequencies, etc….I knew getting the room right from the start would pay dividends later in many ways.

The theater room was basically constructed with sound attenuation in mind using methods of the time….not even sure if clips, hat channel and green glue existed back then? The walls are 6” thick and constructed of staggered 2 x 4 studs spaced on 2’ centers to make for flexible and non-coupled walls to absorb the bass standing waves and minimize sound intrusion into adjacent living spaces in the basement. The ceiling drywall is hung from 2 x 8 rafters on 2’ centers for the same sound attenuating purpose and are decoupled from the floor joists for the main floor which are standard 2 x 12s’ on 12” centers to support the weight and span from the house above.

The floor wasn’t treated and is simply commercial grade carpet glued to the concrete slab. The projector is mounted to the 2 x 12 floor joists above so the projector wouldn’t vibrate during heavy bass activity.

There’s no stage and the riser in the back is 12” high and stuffed with pink fluffy.

When we built the house, we weren’t sure how long we would live in it. Once we started having kids, we stopped moving and this looks like it will be our forever home. Especially since we doubled down and also built the pool of our dreams about 10 years ago to accompany the theater of our dreams.

The pool, like our house, is nestled about 100 yards into the woods and is called our hideaway pool for obvious reasons. It was only appropriate to name the theater as such to follow standard “dedicated home theater build” etiquette.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	3428
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2430786   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	3486
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2430788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pool 3.jpg
Views:	3344
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	2430790  

Last edited by trhought; 06-03-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2859 Old 07-20-2018, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Since our home was originally built with “resale” in mind, the 17x30x9 theater room was constructed with the thought of being able to simply divide it in half to make two 17x15x9 bedrooms when it came time to sell. So the theater has 2 entry doors….one in the front and one in the back. Hindsight being 20/20, having 1 door would be one change made in the early stages of construction to help attenuate sound in and out of the theater.

Basement floor plan showing the theater in the lower left hand corner

The upside of having 2 doors is both can be opened during impromptu get-togethers which opens up the theater to the adjacent room which has a pool table and flat panel TV. This provides a sports bar feel when combined with the projection screen in the theater. To expand on the sports bar theme, we’re currently planning to add a bar to the back of the second row with additional lighting above to provide local lighting just to the bar while maximizing contrast on the projected image in front of the theater.

Bar Mock-up picture with folding Cosco Table...lol...this mock-up works quite well. Next project....build a 3rd row bar with a cubby for AC power, USB chargers, RGB lighting and ethernet jacks. Also, will have a smaller flat panel TV back there for the guests at the bar to watch another sporting event while the big screen is going.

Lights Installed Over Bar Area (on each side of projector)

Various Views of Entertainment Area looking into Theater and Outside

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Floor Plan.jpg
Views:	3506
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2430802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bar Mock Up.jpg
Views:	2373
Size:	832.4 KB
ID:	2430804   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	3388
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2430806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Entertaining.jpg
Views:	3460
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2430808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Game Room.jpg
Views:	2381
Size:	863.7 KB
ID:	2430810  

Name:	View Outside.jpg
Views:	2418
Size:	739.5 KB
ID:	2430812  

Last edited by trhought; 02-07-2019 at 09:24 AM.
post #3 of 2859 Old 07-20-2018, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1898 Post(s)
Liked: 1817
The theater looks very nice, but the pool is absolutely gorgeous! Nice job on both counts!
trhought, sirjaymz and iceatola like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 2859 Old 07-20-2018, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Boy, have things changed in the last 20 years since our theater was constructed. For the first couple years we just enjoyed a Sony VPL-400w projector (Sony’s first native 16x9 LCD) projecting onto the front wall which was painted white. For sound, we had a Sony 1090 AVR for “awesome” 5.1 sound all around which was state of the art at the time and various speakers that were purchased throughout college and shortly after graduation from college. Those speakers were hung from the side walls pointing downward towards the seats. The walls were beige, the ceiling was white and the room was ugly when the lights were on. But when the lights went out, we were in movie heaven with all the DVD’s we could buy on our modest salaries. Ironically, we recently had a garage sale and I had over 400 DVD’s for sale for $.50 each….maybe sold 150…..physical media is dead…at least DVD’s.

Later upgrades over time found us acquiring 2 more surround speakers for back surround and a Kenwood receiver for Dolby EX sound. Funny how everyone was talking about the addition of back surround speakers and the resulting sound being so incredibly lifelike. The effect was there and we enjoyed it but in hindsight, the biggest difference was going to 7.1 surround with multiple side surround speakers adjacent to each row of seats.

That was a big difference in sound quality for every seat. At the same time as the upgrade to 7.1 we also upgraded the décor in the theater to what you see now with the addition of columns to hide the speakers, a darker color scheme all around and the addition of lots of fabric to hide speakers and sound treatments.

Fabric Covering Soffit and Columns

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	3417
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	2430818  

Last edited by trhought; 07-21-2018 at 08:12 AM.
post #5 of 2859 Old 07-20-2018, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

At the same time as the 7.1 and décor upgrade in 2010, we also upgraded the projector (Panasonic AE-4000) and the receiver (Onkyo 806). All the surround speakers were also voiced the same with the replacement of their tweeters and midwoofers with closeout RadioShack drivers.

This was a big upgrade allowing CIH zooming with the Panasonic and taking advantage of the Audyssey room correction in the Onkyo to tame the room acoustics even more than I was capable with a sound meter and manual EQ. Audyssey did a surprisingly good job of providing even sound to the seating areas, both front and back rows and smoothing bass response for all seats. We’re pretty happy considering the minimal investment in speakers and driver upgrades over the years to keep the voicing consistent.

For the low end, we’ve been happy with our 15 year old 12” servo controlled Velodyne subwoofer corner loaded in the back middle corner adjacent to the equipment/movie storage closet. Surprisingly, I’m happy with the bass response in the room given the relatively small 12” woofer size for a room with a volume greater than 5,000 ft^3…..must be the corner loading that is helping in this regard.

The equipment within that closet gets all its IR commands via an IR extender mounted in the front of the theater behind the screen fabric. A Harmony remote takes care of all equipment controls via its activity program modes. Even lighting scenes are accomplished via the Harmony and integrated into each of the activity scenes with IR control of X10 switch modules and light switches. X-10 macros have been created for “movie start”, “movie end”, “intermission”, and “disco”. Yeah, we even have a disco ball in the back of the room with black lights in the soffits that only come on when the “Disco” activity is selected. This was one request from the kids for their get-togethers.

2.35 Screen with Zoom CIH....the picture image isn't the greatest....was shot during a commercial with a white screen to brighten the room, the bottom of the screen also isn't lit....probably due to a transition that was happening during the commercial...lol.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	3282
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2430822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Disco Ball.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	876.8 KB
ID:	2430824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gel Light.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	757.8 KB
ID:	2430826  
Kevnmin likes this.

Last edited by trhought; 02-07-2019 at 09:35 AM.
post #6 of 2859 Old 07-20-2018, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, as part of the 2010 theater décor upgrade was the addition of RGB LED lights for the back riser and soffit lighting. The LED color is manually adjustable to match the décor for the mood of the party….think purple and gold for LSU football gatherings, red and green for Christmas, Orange for Halloween, etc.

Here's the manual LED controllers located inside the equipment closet....brightness and colors can be changed for both the soffit and riser lights while the on/off switches are by the entry doors to the theater

Some pics showing the different colors on the riser (you get the idea...colors can be changed on the soffits also)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RGB Contollers.jpg
Views:	2291
Size:	1,014.2 KB
ID:	2430828   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	3307
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2430830   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	3378
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2430832   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	2373
Size:	984.9 KB
ID:	2430834  

Last edited by trhought; 07-25-2018 at 09:12 AM.
post #7 of 2859 Old 07-20-2018, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Another requisite for the 2010 décor upgrade that put my Cajun engineering skills to the test….there was an acute desire to avoid drywall…no taping, no mudding, no sanding, minimal mess. So, all soffits, columns and lighting was added without drywall.

The result was a design for all these features using ridge vents normally found on top of house roofs at the ridge to let hot air out of the attic. I found these 4’ sections of bendable plastic did a wonderful job of providing nice round edges where needed and covered well with fabric since they were already black. They also had vents built into them to allow insulation to be used behind them to offer some benefits of sound treatments of first reflection points on the side walls.

All these columns and soffits are held in place by various backer boards, mostly 2x4 that are simply screwed into the existing drywall and studs. If we were to ever convert this room to another use, it would be quite simple to remove these columns and soffit and only have to patch a few screw holes and remove all the fabric from the front wall and repaint.

A drop ceiling was added in the back of the room to make the projector installation more architecturally pleasing while at the same time providing ample space to hide cable runs from the equipment room to anywhere in the theater space via the soffits and columns. This too, could be easily removed later and only require the patching of a few screw holes.

Theater Plan showing locations of key elements

Sketch of Soffit and Column Concept (we have front height channels also but not being used right now)

Sketch of how the ridge vents were used to construct the columns and the soffits

Inside one of the soffits (notice the black lights)

The columns were attached to the soffits with hinges so they can be pivoted away from the wall for speaker/sound treatment changes

Inside one of the columns with a speaker and speaker shelves at various heights for experimenting

Taming those first reflections using the columns as sound treatment

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HT Plan.jpg
Views:	3400
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2430848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Soffit Column Concept.jpg
Views:	2291
Size:	814.5 KB
ID:	2430850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ridge Vents.jpg
Views:	2271
Size:	702.2 KB
ID:	2430852   Click image for larger version

Name:	Soffit.jpg
Views:	2314
Size:	711.0 KB
ID:	2430854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Column Access.jpg
Views:	3300
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	2430856  

Name:	Column Inside.jpg
Views:	2267
Size:	751.7 KB
ID:	2430858   Click image for larger version

Name:	First Reflections.jpg
Views:	3205
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	2430868  
SuperFist, fill35U and GeoJustGeo like this.

Last edited by trhought; 07-21-2018 at 08:56 AM.
post #8 of 2859 Old 07-20-2018, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So, we’ve been enjoying this 7.1 setup since 2010…actually 11.1 speakers with 3 side surrounds flanking the seating positions on each side.

Our next upgrade will likely include sound clouds in the ceiling to house 4 to 6 height channels and probably a projector upgrade to HDR/UHD when that projection technology matures and reaches affordable prices.

Until then, I’m always amazed when watching the latest blockbuster movie at home. The sound design these days is much better than it was just a few years ago. Rightly or wrongly, I attribute that to the latest 3D sound mixing techniques and not only improving 3D sound but also plain ole 7.1 sound. I also like to think that some of the improvement is my never-ending tweaking of speaker toe-in, surround aiming, seat positioning, level settings, speaker delays, re-run Audyssey, rinse and repeat over and over….that’s the personal enjoyment I get from the theater in addition to watching our family and friends enjoy the fruits of my labor over the years.

It’s a great hobby and quite affordable if one can continue to resist going down the rabbit hole and only upgrading once every 10 years or so. Must. Resist. It’s been tempting to go really crazy and go full-on DIY Marty subs with gigawatts of Behringer power, Crowson’s underneath the seats and discrete control of over 20 channels of 3D sound processing power that’s fully customizable….OK I better stop myself now and go back to reading fellow AVS’er posts and living the home theater life vicariously through your threads.

Thanks fellow AVS’ers for the inspiration over the years and Hope some of this helps!
bretcoe likes this.

Last edited by trhought; 07-21-2018 at 09:07 AM.
post #9 of 2859 Old 07-20-2018, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post
The theater looks very nice, but the pool is absolutely gorgeous! Nice job on both counts!
Thanks drunkpenguin! Yeah, this time of year we love it out there....101 degrees today with 109 heat index!

We went a little overboard on our pool....a 72 foot waterslide, removable basketball and volleyball courts, fog all around the pool, a zipline and even a pirate ship to name a few features. We didn't want a swimming pool, we wanted a fun pool

Below is a link to our thread on Houzz for those interested in outdoor living spaces also. We have a dedicated sound system out there with 14 speakers to spread stereo sound around the entertainment areas of the backyard and pool.

Hope this helps.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/25...l-in-louisiana
d-rail34 likes this.

Last edited by trhought; 07-20-2018 at 07:33 PM.
post #10 of 2859 Old 02-01-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

LFE Upgrade....the best upgrade yet to our theater

Wanted to share a recent upgrade to the Hideaway Theater.......introducing the BOSS.

We’ve always thought the bass in our theater was adequate for our humble needs over the last 20 years or so. The corner loaded subwoofer properly calibrated was delivery ample bass to every seat in the theater and no one ever complained as the bass gently tickled the backs of our chairs when the movie or music beckoned.

In hindsight, what were we thinking? But first, some backstory. This upgrade journey started with a few gifts from my father this summer…..some extra powered subwoofers he had on hand plus a hand-built AMC amplifier he had assembled years ago. I happily packed these items into the truck for the long journey back to Louisiana along with some other 2-channel goodies he gave me for our separate listening room.

Those 2 extra subwoofers were put to task immediately in the Hideaway Theater and complimented our existing subwoofer quite nicely. They provided smooth bass to all seats in the theater after optimizing their placement, gains and delays. As expected, they also provided some added bass impact that was lacking before.

Then, out of curiosity one night while everyone was sleeping, I took one of them out of its optimized position and placed it right next to the seat I was sitting in. Oh my gosh, this is the tactile bass I’ve been reading about on AVS for all these years. And, it wasn’t that expensive to get into the tactile bass game with just one subwoofer placed nearfield.

That was it……I was bit by the tactile bass bug and there was no going back now.

After discovering the 12” JBL subwoofers at Best Buy that go on sale periodically, I swooped up 6 of them when they went on sale before the holidays. Wasn’t sure exactly what I was going to do with them. For sure, it would be something closer to our seats based on my earlier experiment but not exactly sure how all the pieces and parts would fit together yet.

After reading a lot on the ULF thread and the VibSensor thread, I soon learned that tactile impact was severely limited in our theater because we were in a basement on a concrete slab.

After a few brainstorming ideas and crazy cabinet designs, I started a concept build to see if any of these ideas would work.

Last edited by trhought; 02-18-2019 at 07:55 AM.
post #11 of 2859 Old 02-01-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The first concept build....

was to use our existing back row riser as a subwoofer that would not only provide nearfield tactile impact to the seats on top of it but also separation of that seating from the concrete floor.

This separation from the concrete was something I learned from the VibSensor thread and was extremely important to the “you are there” feeling by having the floor beneath you move. This makes so much sense now, but never occurred to me until reading up on the subject and how basement theaters have to overcome this by suspending the floor off the concrete.

Here’s pictures of the first concept build with the back row riser and the results were breathtaking.

I was now in the ULF game for a very low cost using our existing riser as a cabinet and powering these JBL’s with the AMC amplifier my father gave me.

JBL's ready for transplant into the back riser

Transplant complete

Final wiring complete.....including CAT6 and power runs for the 3rd row bar build which is next on my to-do list

Seating position relative to subwoofers for awesome nearfield ULF

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5376.jpg
Views:	3116
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2519116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5382.jpg
Views:	3184
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	2519118   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5386.jpg
Views:	3125
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2519120   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5390.jpg
Views:	3250
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2519122  

Last edited by trhought; 02-07-2019 at 08:54 AM.
post #12 of 2859 Old 02-01-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The front row.....now what to do? Introducing the BOSS (Baffle Open Sub Shaker)

After enjoying this new-found ULF in our theater, another problem arose. Everyone was fighting to sit in the back row now and no one wanted to sit in the front row.

How could this be remedied, I thought? By delivering the same tactile experience as we’re getting in the back row, that’s how. But, the problem is I didn’t have the sight lines to raise the front row onto a riser without interfering with the projected image. And just as bad, raising the front row would interfere with the center channel sound in the back row.

So, back to the drawing board and more brainstorming.

After quite of bit of design iterations on paper and more reading about low profile cabinet designs, I had the epiphany of just using the remaining 3 JBL’s inverted in the cabinet so the front riser didn’t have to be very high….only about 1.5” high!

The problem now is the cabinet volume was much smaller than I had in the back riser. I wanted to keep that volume about the same since that experience back there was so good.

Then, another crazy idea hit me….what if the cabinet wasn’t a cabinet at all but rather just a flexible floor that was isolated from the concrete floor with rubber feet while the JBL’s did their job moving that floor with the couch on top of it.

This was similar to other mini-riser concepts I’ve read about and seen on AVS. But, those mini-risers were being directly shaken by butt-kickers or actuators. Other mini-risers were being indirectly shaken by insanely high SPL from other subs in the room. On paper, our mini-riser was going to be a different animal….by using the subwoofers to actively shake the platform.

Would this work? It’s basically, a modified open baffle concept with one side of the baffle being extremely close to one of the room surfaces. This closeness on one side of the baffle would be an attempt to cancel the back wave while also providing some back pressure to the subwoofer cones to keep them in control….maybe? Hopefully? This closeness also allows the total riser height to only be about 1.5” including the ¾” plywood!!

What the heck, I thought, I already have the subwoofers and a sheet of plywood was only $35…..let’s do it.

After carefully planning the location of the subs relative to the couch pieces to avoid interference, the holes were cut and this “open baffle shaker sub” was born.

The results have been just as incredible as the back row….maybe even a bit more satisfying with the rubber grommets providing even more isolation from the concrete floor.

The bottom of the front row mini-riser

The top of the front row mini-riser.....speakers strategically placed for each couch piece over them

The sleeper sofa in place covering 2 of the subs.....the recliner will cover up this sub

The 2 subs covered by the sleeper sofa

A peak under the sleeper sofa

All couch pieces in place....totally hidden and the baffle open sub shaker (BOSS) is ready to deliver the smiles!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5788.jpg
Views:	3061
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2519124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5786.jpg
Views:	2151
Size:	867.0 KB
ID:	2519126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5792.jpg
Views:	2188
Size:	913.1 KB
ID:	2519128   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5793.jpg
Views:	3114
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2519130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5798.jpg
Views:	2184
Size:	876.7 KB
ID:	2519132  

Name:	IMG_5794.jpg
Views:	2101
Size:	713.5 KB
ID:	2519134  

Last edited by trhought; 02-12-2019 at 11:41 AM.
post #13 of 2859 Old 02-01-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

LFE / ULF upgrade complete

Now everyone is enjoying the theater in any seat, front row or back row, with glorious ULF. The feeling of “you are there” during the movie or music with the ground shaking below you is incredible.

It’s like having a new theater. We’ve been watching all of our favorite movies and listening to all our favorite music all over again –and- for the first time with the feeling of weightlessness below us.

What an experience!

Some finished pictures showing all platforms finished in carpet for the final look. I constructed a third riser which acts as a step up to the back riser. While also providing a step to the back row, it conceals the speaker wire going to the front riser. Everything is totally hidden!

No one expects they’re sitting on top of 6 subwoofers when sitting down to enjoy music or a movie.

The look on their faces when the first kick drum or bass note hits during music or the ground moves beneath them during a movie…..Priceless!

Mini-riser carpeted and ready to rock and roll...

Step riser in place hiding all speaker wires....

All finished....glorious ULF for all seats in both rows and totally hidden!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5804.jpg
Views:	3072
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2519140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5818.jpg
Views:	3040
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2519142   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5820.jpg
Views:	3098
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2519144  

Last edited by trhought; 02-01-2019 at 09:27 AM.
post #14 of 2859 Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 99
That’s awesome. Also awesome that you are able to feel the response down to 3 hz!
SBuger, trhought and biga6761 like this.
post #15 of 2859 Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 3561
I commented on your post in the BEQ thread too, but had to here as well. SO VERY COOL with the new TR upgrade (mega upgrade ) Fantastic job and great thinking outside the norm as well, like I mentioned in the BEQ thread. Inspiring stuff indeed!!

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #16 of 2859 Old 02-12-2019, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Definitely doing the front row setup you have when I install my theater seating (waiting to get a projector to replace my 65" OLED first)
trhought and Russell Burrows like this.
post #17 of 2859 Old 02-12-2019, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenova View Post
That’s awesome. Also awesome that you are able to feel the response down to 3 hz!
bluenova....you are so right about the 3Hz response......Imagine my surprise when I did my first frequency sweep and started at 2Hz and the woofer responded without any problems! I have a video of the response somewhere in the JBL thread. I'll have to see if I can post it here also for anyone interested. The SPL is "zero" but the TR is incredible.

Quote:
I commented on your post in the BEQ thread too, but had to here as well. SO VERY COOL with the new TR upgrade (mega upgrade ) Fantastic job and great thinking outside the norm as well, like I mentioned in the BEQ thread. Inspiring stuff indeed!!
SBuger....Thanks for the props on the "thinking outside the norm" comment. Great to offer a bit of inspiration and see what other ideas come up along the way. After all, half the fun with our hobby is experimenting and chasing the next incremental improvement in our setups..... a great hobby for us enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrizzard View Post
Definitely doing the front row setup you have when I install my theater seating (waiting to get a projector to replace my 65" OLED first)
dgrizzard.....great to hear about your plans for a BOSS in your setup. It's an incredible effect and will bring your front row to life. That combined with a projector.....Oh man....you're going to be in HT heaven! That's likely going to be my next equipment upgrade....a new projector.

My next project is going to be the construction of a 3rd row bar with a small flat panel TV back there along with LED wash lighting, overhead lighting, USB ports, etc. It will be primarily for the guests to enjoy sporting events and what-not during get-togethers while the AV enthusiasts are in the front rows enjoying what's on the big screen. The secondary TV screen back there will also be handy when I'm finding music or sound demo material and I don't want to turn on the projector.

Please keep us posted on your BOSS and your experiences with it....very curious to see how others implement the BOSS.
post #18 of 2859 Old 02-12-2019, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Hey there,

You've got me thinking!!! I've a two tier riser in my cinema. Pair of lazyboy recliners and three cinema chairs on the back. It's heavily braced and then on a load of heavy duty rubber mounts (Reclaimed industrial HVAC mounts) - I've a pair of Buttkicker LFE's and an Original mounted on the back, but have always felt that the fronts seats don't quite have the kick the rears do.
Am now curious about getting some big drivers and flipping them to face the floor under the lazyboys and see what they can do - Been interested in the VNF stuff but having seats behind has always precluded, however Underneath and open baffle when I have the riser already is starting to become an interesting experiment.....What JBL's are they. UK here with no best buy

Lee

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen
post #19 of 2859 Old 02-12-2019, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
Hey there,

You've got me thinking!!! I've a two tier riser in my cinema. Pair of lazyboy recliners and three cinema chairs on the back. It's heavily braced and then on a load of heavy duty rubber mounts (Reclaimed industrial HVAC mounts) - I've a pair of Buttkicker LFE's and an Original mounted on the back, but have always felt that the fronts seats don't quite have the kick the rears do.
Am now curious about getting some big drivers and flipping them to face the floor under the lazyboys and see what they can do - Been interested in the VNF stuff but having seats behind has always precluded, however Underneath and open baffle when I have the riser already is starting to become an interesting experiment.....What JBL's are they. UK here with no best buy

Lee
Lee...Thanks for stopping by and for the description of your setup.

The JBL in a BOSS for your front row recliners would really make them come alive and augment the buttkickers on the back. If I understand correctly, you already have the isolators underneath the front riser or is it one big riser, front and back as one structure raised on isolators? If one big structure, the effect will be even better if you can place JBL's under all seats (front and back) to get that one big riser moving equally to a smaller riser with less seats and less JBL's.

I only have experience with 3 JBL's for each of my smaller risers so that's the perspective I'm coming from. Having said that, my back riser is rather heavy and it does great with just 3 JBL's underneath (1 for each of the couch pieces back there). That back riser is raised on rubber also separating it from the concrete.

These JBL's sell under 3 different model numbers that I'm aware of....CX1200, GX1200 and CS1214. I believe member @Nalleh lives in Norway and was able to find a source for the CS1214's there.

Hope this helps.
post #20 of 2859 Old 02-12-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
dgrizzard.....great to hear about your plans for a BOSS in your setup. It's an incredible effect and will bring your front row to life. That combined with a projector.....Oh man....you're going to be in HT heaven! That's likely going to be my next equipment upgrade....a new projector.

My next project is going to be the construction of a 3rd row bar with a small flat panel TV back there along with LED wash lighting, overhead lighting, USB ports, etc. It will be primarily for the guests to enjoy sporting events and what-not during get-togethers while the AV enthusiasts are in the front rows enjoying what's on the big screen. The secondary TV screen back there will also be handy when I'm finding music or sound demo material and I don't want to turn on the projector.

Please keep us posted on your BOSS and your experiences with it....very curious to see how others implement the BOSS.
Do you think there would be any benefit or downside with going to a 15" sub instead of a 12"? I am happy with my bass now but want to go lower with better TR. I currently have dual SVS PC2000s, was thinking about adding dual 18" sealed to go quad, but I think this might be a better solution.
post #21 of 2859 Old 02-12-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do you think there would be any benefit or downside with going to a 15" sub instead of a 12"? I am happy with my bass now but want to go lower with better TR. I currently have dual SVS PC2000s, was thinking about adding dual 18" sealed to go quad, but I think this might be a better solution.
dgrizzard....I don't see any problems with 15's as long as they can fit underneath your furniture/chairs when upside down in a BOSS configuration. A 15" woofer is considerably bigger than a 12" woofer. The added moving mass from the bigger moving coil and cone will certainly benefit the TR. However, the SPL in the open baffle (BOSS) won't be very impressive.

Typically a 15" woofer is rather pricey when compared to the ridiculously priced 12" JBL's. Those who buy the 15's are usually chasing SPL. In my opinion, the 15's may be better deployed in a traditional alignment that will maximize SPL. Also, make sure to check Xmax of the 15's with the power you're planning to use in the BOSS which is basically an open baffle / infinite baffle configuration. With the low back pressures due to the large cabinet volumes, Xmax could be reached very easily and with very low power. I would hate to see your 15's get nuked if you're planning to use much power with them in open baffle / infinite baffle.

Having said all that, if you have some extra 15's laying around and they fit under your seats OK, and they model OK in an IB arrangement with the power you're planning to provide them, I'd say they will work OK and probably even better because of the added moving mass. Also, check your excursion with the 15's to see how that compares with the JBL's. The JBL's Xmax is around 15mm. If the 15's are in that neighborhood, then they should really rumble with the extra mass.

It's just so hard to beat the JBL's at $29 each which is why I went down that path. The 15's might be a bit overkill, but hey, that's what we do here on AVS right?

Hope this helps.
Russell Burrows likes this.
post #22 of 2859 Old 02-13-2019, 03:31 AM

Quote:
dgrizzard....I don't see any problems with 15's as long as they can fit underneath your furniture/chairs when upside down in a BOSS configuration. A 15" woofer is considerably bigger than a 12" woofer. The added moving mass from the bigger moving coil and cone will certainly benefit the TR. However, the SPL in the open baffle (BOSS) won't be very impressive.

Typically a 15" woofer is rather pricey when compared to the ridiculously priced 12" JBL's. Those who buy the 15's are usually chasing SPL. In my opinion, the 15's may be better deployed in a traditional alignment that will maximize SPL. Also, make sure to check Xmax of the 15's with the power you're planning to use in the BOSS which is basically an open baffle / infinite baffle configuration. With the low back pressures due to the large cabinet volumes, Xmax could be reached very easily and with very low power. I would hate to see your 15's get nuked if you're planning to use much power with them in open baffle / infinite baffle.

Having said all that, if you have some extra 15's laying around and they fit under your seats OK, and they model OK in an IB arrangement with the power you're planning to provide them, I'd say they will work OK and probably even better because of the added moving mass. Also, check your excursion with the 15's to see how that compares with the JBL's. The JBL's Xmax is around 15mm. If the 15's are in that neighborhood, then they should really rumble with the extra mass.

It's just so hard to beat the JBL's at $29 each which is why I went down that path. The 15's might be a bit overkill, but hey, that's what we do here on AVS right?

Hope this helps.
Hmm, you've given me a lot to think about. I was looking at the 15in Dayton Audio RSS390 HF, doing two of those (will only be 2 theater seats in my small room). Much pricier than $29 each, but looking at BB they are $65 now so I would be looking to spend more anyway. I also don't want to buy things in combination that ultimately aren't going to sound the best/work together properly. I've not built a sub before so any recommendation is appreciated.

Couple more questions as well, for driving these what size amp should I be looking at? Did you also isolate the seating itself from the board or is just sitting on there normally?
post #23 of 2859 Old 02-13-2019, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm, you've given me a lot to think about. I was looking at the 15in Dayton Audio RSS390 HF, doing two of those (will only be 2 theater seats in my small room). Much pricier than $29 each, but looking at BB they are $65 now so I would be looking to spend more anyway. I also don't want to buy things in combination that ultimately aren't going to sound the best/work together properly. I've not built a sub before so any recommendation is appreciated.

Couple more questions as well, for driving these what size amp should I be looking at? Did you also isolate the seating itself from the board or is just sitting on there normally?
dgrizzard.....that Dayton Audio RSS390HF is a beast. At $250 per driver, I would rather have it do some heavy duty lifting as a far-field sub in my room in a sealed or vented cabinet design to optimize SPL which is what it was designed to do best.

In my opinion it would be overkill for a near-field BOSS shaker setup.

I modeled the Dayton Audio RSS390HF below in WinISD....blue is for the BOSS. Red is for a traditional sealed cabinet.

From the blue curve, it would only take about 60 watts of power to hit its Xmax of 14mm. You can get an amp that will provide 60 watts per channel for about $100-150 powering one Dayton 15 on each channel. I provided a link to a 60 watt per channel amp below as an example. So, for your BOSS using the 15's, you'll be around $650 for the 2 drivers plus amplifier.

Using the JBL's, you can use the same amplifier (60 watts per channel) to hit its Xmax of 15 mm. So, for your BOSS, using the JBL's at $65 each, you'll be around $230.

So the 15's will cost ~3 times more than the JBL's. Will the 15's deliver 3 times more TR than the JBL's in a BOSS....in my opinion, probably not.

However, if you want to buy the 15's for something else....such as far-field SPL in the corners of the room to balance the BOSS, they would be a good choice. In that configuration, you would need about 350 watts in a 2.8 cu. ft. sealed cabinet for each Dayton 15 to maximize it's SPL and deliver great far-field SPL when placed in the corners of your room.....the red curve below.

Hope this helps.

60 watt per channel amplifier

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_543P75/Russound-P75.html

Dayton Audio WinISD model

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dayton Audio.jpg
Views:	2021
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	2525098  
post #24 of 2859 Old 02-13-2019, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you also isolate the seating itself from the board or is just sitting on there normally?
For the seating, they're just sitting on the carpet which I installed on the BOSS. The carpet helps hold the seats in place. Before I carpeted the BOSS, I noticed the sleeper sofa and recliner would shift a few inches after spirited listening sessions....lol.

Hope this helps.
post #25 of 2859 Old 02-13-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
For the seating, they're just sitting on the carpet which I installed on the BOSS. The carpet helps hold the seats in place. Before I carpeted the BOSS, I noticed the sleeper sofa and recliner would shift a few inches after spirited listening sessions....lol.

Hope this helps.
Thanks again, I will probably stick with the 12in JBLs then. I like bang for buck, and it sounds like that is it.
post #26 of 2859 Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks again, I will probably stick with the 12in JBLs then. I like bang for buck, and it sounds like that is it.
dgrizzard....you're welcome.....it's truly a value shaker that will deliver the smiles for a very low cost. Please let me know your thoughts and a couple pics if possible after building and test driving your BOSS. Looking forward to seeing how others implement their own version of it.
Russell Burrows likes this.
post #27 of 2859 Old 02-14-2019, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Lee...Thanks for stopping by and for the description of your setup.

The JBL in a BOSS for your front row recliners would really make them come alive and augment the buttkickers on the back. If I understand correctly, you already have the isolators underneath the front riser or is it one big riser, front and back as one structure raised on isolators? If one big structure, the effect will be even better if you can place JBL's under all seats (front and back) to get that one big riser moving equally to a smaller riser with less seats and less JBL's.
Imagine a P flattened and on it's back. The whole riser is one structure. It's based off 8' 2x4" beams which form the bottom edges in 2" thick, with extra bracing and then the back section on top using the 4" thick dimension to create the height rise. It's ~8' x 8' using a couple of sheets of 1/2" thick ply and then on ~10 of the rubber industrial isolaters. It's all glued and screwed to try and make it as tight, rigid and stiff as possible. I built it at work and then dismantled and built it up in the room adding the glue component to homogenize it! I make flat panel composites so tend to engineer things!

The whole structure moves as one and i've a 2x4HD channel feeding an Inuke 3000DSP with one channel the LFE's and the other the origional.
I did build a pair of clarke TST239's in though oddly have yet to wire those up. I think i've a spare LFE in the garage that i'm also tempted to add directly in the Layzboy pair!!!

Quote:
These JBL's sell under 3 different model numbers that I'm aware of....CX1200, GX1200 and CS1214. I believe member @Nalleh lives in Norway and was able to find a source for the CS1214's there.
Interesting. The UK market seems a little different....There's a CS1214T which is a sub in a tube box. Doable, though at ~£120 and throwing away the tube it seems a bit daft.

The cheapest JBL 12" seems to be the GT5-12 1100W, 90db and 27Hz–450Hz at about £50

There's a GT-X1200 1200w, 90db and 23Hz-450kHz at £70

And possibly the more interesting JBL S2-1224 at 1100w, 93db, but 25-175Hz but it's £90

None of them are bank breakers, though far more than the $29 you get them for!

I'd only be able to add the pair up front, but that's my seat and most the time it's just me anyway! The cinema post style seats wouldn't work at hiding the drivers, but then the butkickers are just behind them so they've got oomph

If I went down this route, I'd probably have to mount the speakers with the platform in situ due to the weight and rasing it up to properly access the underneath would take jacking or something. I could probably cut holes reasonably from above and then screw the drivers down to the ply - I may be able to bolt as you can get an arm under without too much difficulty. They won't be particularly seen under the recliners unless you go looking!

The room is at the top of the house, like a purpose built attic conversion. It's 23' x 15' but has two sloped ceilings so floor space is bigger than the actual space! There's an acoustic screen "wall" i've suspended over one of the slopes with a 120" screen and i'm about 12' from it. The pair of Paradigm Servo 15s whilst older do pretty good on normal bass

Lee

Sound - Marantz SR6011 (pre/atmos), Yamaha Z9, Mirage Om-6's, Om-C2's, 6x Om-R2's, 4x Nanosat (atmos), Dual Paradigim Servo 15's
Additional - MiniDSP : DDRC-88a, 2x4HD
Source -Panasonic DP-UB420, Toshiba HD-XE1, Sony SCD-XE620
Vision - Epson TW9400, eecolour Lut Box, 120" Spitfire Acoustically Transparent Screen

Last edited by Alaric; 02-19-2019 at 03:01 AM.
post #28 of 2859 Old 02-14-2019, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post

Imagine a P flattened and on it's back. The whole riser is one structure. It's based off 8' 2x4" beams which form the bottom edges in 2" thick, with extra bracing and then the back section on top using the 4" thick dimension to create the height rise. It's ~8' x 8' using a couple of sheets of 1/2" thick ply and then on ~10 of the rubber industrial isolaters. It's all glued and screwed to try and make it as tight, rigid and stiff as possible. I built it at work and then dismantled and built it up in the room adding the glue component to homogenize it! I make flat panel composites so tend to engineer things!

The whole structure moves as one and i've a 2x4HD channel feeding an Inuke 3000DSP with one channel the LFE's and the other the origional.
I did build a pair of clarke TST239's in though oddly have yet to wire those up. I think i've a spare LFE in the garage that i'm also tempted to add directly in the Layzboy pair!!!

Interesting. The UK market seems a little different....There's a CS1214T which is a sub in a tube box. Doable, though at ~£120 and throwing away the tube it seems a bit daft.

The cheapest JBL 12" seems to be the GT5-12 1100W, 90db and 27Hz–450Hz at about £50

There's a GT-X1200 1200w, 90db and 23Hz-450kHz at £70

And possibly the more interesting JBL S2-1224 at 1100w, 93db, but 25-175Hz but it's £90

None of them are bank breakers, though far more than the $29 you get them for!

I'd only be able to add the pair up front, but that's my seat and most the time it's just me anyway! The cinema post style seats wouldn't work at hiding the drivers, but then the butkickers are just behind them so they've got oomph

If I went down this route, I'd probably have to mount the speakers with the platform in situ due to the weight and rasing it up to properly access the underneath would take jacking or something. I could probably cut holes reasonably from above and then screw the drivers down to the ply - I may be able to bolt as you can get an arm under without too much difficulty. They won't be particularly seen under the recliners unless you go looking!

The room is at the top of the house, like a purpose built attic conversion. It's 23' x 15' but has two sloped ceilings so floor space is bigger than the actual space! There's an acoustic screen "wall" i've suspended over one of the slopes with a 120" screen and i'm about 12' from it. The pair of Paradigm Servo 15s whilst older do pretty good on normal bass

Lee
Lee....Thanks for the details. Yeah, I think that one monolithic platform can definitely deliver respectable TR with subs directly mounted to it.....especially since you already have it raised from the floor on rubber isolators. That made a big difference when I raised our rather large back row riser onto rubber isolators.

When I mounted the JBL's in the back riser, I also had to jack it up using a car jack since it's so big and heavy. I could reach in from the top to get most of the work done, but I had to jack it up to drill a few holes through some of the joists on one side so those wires could exit the platform and disappear under one of the columns. If I didn't worry about wires showing, I could have definitely completed the job without raising the platform.

Sorry to hear about the availability of the JBL variants in England. If you have any particular drivers that look good on paper and you may want to try, just let me know. I could model them for you in WinISD to help determine how to setup the power so they don't get nuked by exceeding X-max.

Your setup sounds awesome being on a suspended floor and enjoying floor wobble already! Your seating position from your screen sounds like it delivers a nice immersive experience along with the floor movement you're getting already!
Alaric likes this.

Last edited by trhought; 02-14-2019 at 07:08 AM.
post #29 of 2859 Old 02-16-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

More build details about the BOSS (Baffle Open Sub Shaker)

So, I've received a few PM's about the BOSS. For everyone's benefit, wanted to include some additional build details and a drawing below about it to help anyone considering 1 or 2 of them for a test drive. Also, after the drawing, there's a few hyperlinks to some notable posts and pictures in this thread. These are provided to help those who want to learn more about BOSS technology and go directly to these golden nuggets to accelerate the learning curve and help with your own BOSS design.

Guidelines

1. The plywood is 3/4"....I wanted it to be stiff so the entire platform moves as one piece on command from the JBL's. It's also important to be thick because you don't want it flexing too much when walking on it or sitting on the couches and chairs. This low flexing also keeps the face of the drivers about 1/2" from the floor consistently for all drivers mounted to the platform even when everyone is sitting on it. Also, don't have the legs of one chair/or couch supported by different platforms, they should all be on one platform.....see the drawing below for examples of good and bad ideas for the BOSS platform.

2. Power needed is only about 80 watts per driver with the prescribed 12" JBL's (see the hyperlink below for the JBL model numbers and a list of other BOSS drivers used successfully) In an open baffle configuration like the BOSS (Baffle Open Sub Shaker), the drivers could get damaged easily by going beyond the mechanical limits of the drivers if too much power is applied.

3. The isolators can be any pieces of soft rubber that's 1" thick "after compression". The "after compression" is important because you want to give the drivers about 1/2" of breathing room between their faces and the floor. 1" tall rubber while everyone is sitting on the platform is best. This will give you 1" clearance between the bottom of the 3/4" plywood and the floor. With the foam face on the JBL's being 1/2" thick, this gives them 1/2" clearance between that foam face and the floor. You also want the rubber pieces to be no more than about 1-2" in diameter. The less contact with the floor the better. This is shown in a drawing below for visually oriented readers like me. A link to isolators is provided below as an example of something that has been tested and works great with a BOSS. The key is the durometer or softness of the isolator (20-40 durometer is good). Lastly, all the above guidelines are for the mini-riser BOSS shown in the picture below. For a BOSS in a traditional riser, the height of the isolators doesn't have to be 1" since the subs will be mounted normally and their faces won't be next to the floor as pictured below. If the rubber is only 1/2" high, that's OK for a full riser BOSS, as long as it's soft (20-40 durometer).

4. Placement of the isolators is important. They should be placed directly below the legs of the couch or chair pieces that are resting on it. This keeps the 3/4" plywood from flexing too much and not giving the drivers the breathing room they need below. Also, if there's more than 2 feet between any of the isolators after placing them relative to the chair/couch piece legs, place additional isolators between them. You don't want any more than 2' between isolators. This again is done to avoid flexing of the 3/4" plywood. An extra rubber grommet is shown in the drawing below right under the middle of the couch. This grommet is there to keep the platform from flexing.

5. Also, because the drivers need to be strategically placed on the plywood to clear structures underneath the chairs and couches, it seems most BOSS applications have the edge of the speakers visible once placing the seating pieces over them. This is easily remedied by covering the BOSS with carpet and simply cutting relief cuts in the carpet as it crests over that side of the driver. Below is a picture of what I'm talking about showing the carpet covering one of the drivers.

6. For the signal, I'm just using an LFE feed from the AVR going to the BOSS amp. The LPF for LFE setting in the AVR is set to 80Hz. I've found once you start going over 80Hz, the feeling isn't natural. Also, because the drivers are mounted upside down in some applications and right side up in other applications, try different phase settings for the BOSS (basically reverse positive and negative at the BOSS amplifier connection or at the BOSS itself). Try it both ways, in-phase and out of phase. One way will work best. You'll know it when you try reversing polarity. It's an obvious difference. So far, it seems those with drivers mounted magnet up (mini-riser BOSS) will be running in-phase and those with magnets down will be running out-of-phase (full size riser BOSS).

7. For those with mini-DSP's between the AVR and the BOSS platform, some are reporting different LPF's may feel better. So far, there seems to be a correlation between the chair type/construction and LPF's. Those with stiffer or newer furniture with rigid leather cushions have been reporting lower LPF's feel better while those with plush or not-so-new furniture prefer higher LPF's. If you have a mini-DSP or some other method of changing the BOSS LPF below 80Hz, don't be afraid to experiment to see what feels right for your BOSS setup.

Isolator Link

For a mini-riser BOSS, select the 2.5" hemisphere isolator (1.25" tall). For the the full size riser BOSS, select either the 1" or 1.25" hemisphere isolator depending how high you want your riser to stand above the floor. Either height will work for the full size riser BOSS, the key is to isolate the riser from the floor below.

https://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Sili...rum-convert-20

BOSS Drawings and Guidelines

Notable posts for more information about BOSS technology

Below are a few hyper-links with some golden nuggets that may help with your own BOSS design.

post 323 - @carp 's cantilevered BOSS and special guidelines for a cantilever design
Post 750 - the BOSS commercial (a light-hearted take on what BOSS technology is all about)
Post 1741 - speaker parameters to focus on for BOSS driver selection....especially handy for those in Europe who don't have access to the $29 JBL 12" drivers or those who want a lower profile driver for underneath their chairs
Post 1857 - @Archaea 's mini BOSS platform mounted directly to the bottom of the chair
Post 2011 - @LastButNotLeast 's mini BOSS platform directly mounted to the chair backrest
Post 2079 - list of different BOSS configurations and benefits of each in rank order
Post 2151 - list of alternate BOSS drivers used to-date with great reports on BOSS performance
Post 2411 - Ideas and alternate designs for MEGA BOSS TR junkies who don't have to contend with WAF inspired by @Nalleh 's MEGA BOSS Experimental TR Sled (The Franken-BOSS)
Post 2543 - @tvuong 's BOSS platform for a curved row of home theater recliners
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5864.jpg
Views:	1783
Size:	977.8 KB
ID:	2526638  
Alaric, Chris Young, JESAL and 8 others like this.

Last edited by trhought; 05-29-2019 at 02:12 PM.
post #30 of 2859 Old 02-16-2019, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm super new to all of this, but reading about your speaker platform system has been very interesting. Several times you mention that the SPL is low from this setup, which of course makes sense; but the tactical response is very good. I've never really experienced either, so my question is: Do you still need low reaching subs elsewhere in order to get the full ULF experience? If not, this is a tremendous discover, as all the deepest subwoofer builds I've seen were huge and expensive. It appears as if this BOSS also has the benefit of not projecting tons of sound where it's not needed or desired.

For reference, my makeshift theater is in my basement, where I also have a tenant. It would be great to keep the projected sound down, and simply get the feeling of ULF, especially if it's nearly the same experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction