Linaccoustic for bass traps (tube or panel types)? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-02-2018, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Linaccoustic for bass traps (tube or panel types)?

I’ve got a bunch of leftover 1” linaccoustic ductliner PM (slightly different than the linaccoustic many source here by the absorption coffecients looked very comparable and I got it in 59” width) -

Will this stuff work to either wrap around some type of tube form (in one or multiple layers) or combined in layers into 2-4” panels and put across corners of walls or ceiling/wall or soffit/wall boundaries? Or is it too dense?

I know the common path is to use OC703 to make superchunk style traps, but I have a lot of this leftover and would love to make use of it if possible rather than going out to buy 703.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-04-2018, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 712
I'm very interested in this topic since I will face the same problem. Judging purely from Mikela's experiences in his HTOTM and from what I've read about bass traps, Linaccoustic is too dense and may cause reflection. It may be more useful as a sandwich layer between pink insulation.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-06-2018, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
I'm very interested in this topic since I will face the same problem. Judging purely from Mikela's experiences in his HTOTM and from what I've read about bass traps, Linaccoustic is too dense and may cause reflection. It may be more useful as a sandwich layer between pink insulation.
I was thinking of just sticking a 16” diameter roll/tube of it (either single or double layer or triple etc, maybe with layers of 3-6mil plastic in between) in the front corners. Seems like that would give several different air gaps (between corner and the tube, within the tube center itself) and a decent thickness of material, but you’re right I don’t know at what point density or gas flow resistivtivity of something like this is counterproductive..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-06-2018, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 712
I'm just a rookie but from what I've understood that is less than ideal. For bass traps you want air to move more easily through the trap. Linacoustic might be already too dense. Adding layers of plastic will kill air movement. That's what they recommend pink fluff for large bass traps over something like OC703.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page