New Pole Barn Construction ~20x29x12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #1 of 69 Old 09-21-2018, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 74
New Pole Barn Construction ~20x29x12

This will be my third theater in as many houses but my only true "blank slate" build. Built a new house in March on 5 acres and a 30x40x12 pole barn in June that is 10 feet away from a 12x16 sunroom that I added to the house. The sunroom exterior is finished but I'm still working on the interior. Once that is finished I can move onto converting the pole barn to "Celestial Cinema". We picked the name because now that we are in the country light pollution is far less than the city and we can actually see the Milkyway. We will most likely put in a small star ceiling in the hallway leading to the theater.

My last theater was in a basement and I went all out on soundproofing. Built a true room within a room (including separate rafters for the ceiling) with 3 layers of TypeX sheetrock on both sides. Used 55 gallons of green glue. This build will utilize green glue and room within a room but at this point I don't think I'll be doing a separate ceiling rafter system.

I'm uploading my proposed layout and would appreciate any comments and alternatives for the layout and the soundproofing plan. The pole barn is built but the theater has not been framed out yet with the exception of the bathroom so please feel free to make any suggestions. Ignore the seat and sub box locations. The program I use isn't very friendly so those graphics are wrong. The boxes they are framed out in are to scale. I'm attaching a picture of the pole barn before the partion walls are added for those of you who don't know what a pole barn is.

Design goals are to have a relatively clutter free design. No fancy trim, columns etc. as once the "wow" factor is over, I find that stuff to be distracting. I would like to hide all speakers (Atmos 9.2.4) and plan on ending up with 2 rows of 4 seats (114" per row) with a bar top in back.

Here's some general info:

-After 12" side wall/18" back wall treatments and 20" behind screen, shooting for 17.5' x 24'8" usable space with ~11.5' ceiling
-Thinking about Constant Area (CA 2:1) screen since I am not height or width limited
-Double Wall with DD/GG on one side and single drywall on non-theater wall per Ted White. Remember this is not a basement build
-Ceiling to be clips and channel with 2 (or should I go 3?) layers of drywall and GG

-DIYSG TitanLX for LCR and Volt 10 ported for surround and Atmos channels
-Four DIY subs (2 front and 2 back)
-Gonna experiment with 4 PA480 nearfield subs and MiniDSP (2 at front of riser into front row and 2 under bar toward back row)
-Pole barn will have partition walls installed inbetween all "poles" and fully insulated and drywalled (~8" thick wall) so it won't look like a barn
-Dedicated 2 zone HVAC or minisplit(s)

Guess that's enough for now, but please feel free once again to suggest different layouts and tell me what you think about my plan to install clips and channel on ceiling, not a truly isolated structure like the rest of the theater. My biggest concern is that the pole barn is basically just a "stick structure" with a thin piece of sheetmetal for a skin and once sound gets past the double layer of drywall/greenglue there is really nothing else to stop it.

You will notice the equipment closet and sound lock area have an additional wall since I only am planning on one door exiting theater and one exiting soundlock. But this may be a triple leaf as the inside wall of the pole barn will be drywalled as I mentioned. If I don't drywall the pole barn wall than there would only be one true leaf (soundlock and equipment closet space) since the outside of the pole barn is just sheet metal. The pole barn wall will be about 8" thick once I get the partion walls up but like I said, only one layer of drywall on the inside and sheet metal on outside.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	polebarn.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	2458478  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf celestial_cinema.pdf (148.6 KB, 121 views)
Oval56, Ladeback and Oklahomie like this.

Last edited by tjambro; 09-22-2018 at 06:34 AM. Reason: 2 rows of 4 seats not 8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 09-21-2018, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved
post #3 of 69 Old 09-21-2018, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 69 Old 09-22-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Subscribed!
tjambro likes this.
post #5 of 69 Old 09-22-2018, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Looking forward to seeing how this works out, I'm currently in the basement but can't turn on all the subs when others are home upstairs. To be detached from the house would be ideal.

May I ask how much the pole barn cost to build?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 69 Old 09-23-2018, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
Looking forward to seeing how this works out, I'm currently in the basement but can't turn on all the subs when others are home upstairs. To be detached from the house would be ideal.

May I ask how much the pole barn cost to build?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
It came in just under 30k with 4 inch concrete and a separate 12x16 slab with footers for the sunroom I'm adding on to house and another 8x10 pad to connect the pole barn to sunroom. I plan on building a covered walkway between the two. The pole barn entrance is a little higher than ground level because I wanted the sunroom, walkway and pole barn all to be level with the house slab so i had about 3k in grave charges but it was worth it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pradeep2 likes this.
post #7 of 69 Old 11-04-2018, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Here's my latest layout revision. If all goes well, my sunroom house addition and pole barn will receive "final" approval tomorrow and then I can get a lumber order together and start framing this puppy out!

If you see anything that you would improve on, please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf celestial_cinema.pdf (156.8 KB, 100 views)
post #8 of 69 Old 11-05-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 470
It seems odd to need to walk down a hall to get in and out. My personal preference would be to claim that space for the theater and flip the room. Make communicating doors rather than a separate entry space. It just looks too claustrophobic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tja theater.png
Views:	172
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	2478356  
Tedd and BassThatHz like this.

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
post #9 of 69 Old 11-06-2018, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Liked: 824
What's the functions of the lobby?
post #10 of 69 Old 11-07-2018, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
It seems odd to need to walk down a hall to get in and out. My personal preference would be to claim that space for the theater and flip the room. Make communicating doors rather than a separate entry space. It just looks too claustrophobic.
Thanks for the feedback but most commercial theaters that I have been to have a walkway that leads you to your not so private viewing room. I enjoy that walk looking at the movie posters. I plan on putting several virtual movie posters in this area as well as any theater themed decor. I originally wanted two walkways on both sides of the theater but ruled that out quickly. I will admit that I envisioned this aisleway to be more like 7 or 8 feet wide but by the time I encased the pole barn verticals I lost a foot of width and then of course double walls will take off some more. I may be able to get a few inches more but probably not much more than that.

I did the double communicating doors in my last theater and while it's effective, having the sound lock area is basically a large set of communicating doors that doesn't feel as weird to people not on this forum.

Your plan would also cut into the lobby area which really should be called the lobby/arcade/hangout area. May even throw in a foozball or air hockey table so I'm not willing to cut that space down any more.
post #11 of 69 Old 11-07-2018, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
What's the functions of the lobby?
The double pole barn doors enter into the lobby which really should have been called arcade/hangout/rec area. I'll have several MAME machines and hopefully a virtual pinball machine for the wife and maybe a sitdown driving cabinet....wish I would have kept that one from the last build/house. May throw in a foozball and/or airhockey table. Not sure if popcorn machine will be there or down the hallway to the theater. Probably near the hallway entrance as the hallway will be small enough as it it.

No matter how big a space seems at first, there always seems to be some sort of compromise to deal with...
James92TSi likes this.
post #12 of 69 Old 11-08-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Fair enough, sound like you things well thought out. I'll be looking forward to watching this come together. Your lobby idea is something I'd like to incorporate in my next space as well. The pool barn shell sounds like it make the ideal canvas.

You've probably already thought of this as well, but maybe one other word of caution as I think about it. With the air lock room, getting large things into the theater space will be challenging. There won't be a lot of room to maneuver very long things or very tall things without having to turn the item straight up towards the ceiling. Carpet, the granite counter, wall board, will all be challenging to make that turn.

Good luck, this will be fun to watch.

-

Nothing in this world will tick you off more than seeing a vegetarian eating pudding.
post #13 of 69 Old 11-10-2018, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Fair enough, sound like you things well thought out. I'll be looking forward to watching this come together. Your lobby idea is something I'd like to incorporate in my next space as well. The pool barn shell sounds like it make the ideal canvas.
Don't give me too much credit, I'm sure I'll miss something and make mistakes...hopefully nothing that isn't fixable. And yes, I'm excited about this build as it's a clean slate. Wishing I would have made the slate a little larger but I think we could always use more space.

Quote:
You've probably already thought of this as well, but maybe one other word of caution as I think about it. With the air lock room, getting large things into the theater space will be challenging. There won't be a lot of room to maneuver very long things or very tall things without having to turn the item straight up towards the ceiling. Carpet, the granite counter, wall board, will all be challenging to make that turn.
I thought of it mostly for the screen frame but to be honest, wasn't even thinking about the counter top. I am now, thanks!

Quote:
Good luck, this will be fun to watch.
I appreciate it! I got my CO for the sunroom addition as well as the pole barn as a "barn/shed". $5k of lumber arrives Monday and then the madness begins!
BllDo likes this.
post #14 of 69 Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 137
This is a great idea

Wide open spaces in which to build what you want. Can't wait to see it come together. As for the entry/lobby area - I too very much enjoy the walk into the theater in commercial cinemas. It sets the mood for me and really gets me into losing myself in the experience. I always thought if I someday had the funds I would have a separate building and would want a nice long entry area just like a commercial theater - would love to have a setup like Dolby does with the curved video wall - as soon as I become a billionaire I'm doing it...
post #15 of 69 Old 12-11-2018, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
Wide open spaces in which to build what you want. Can't wait to see it come together. As for the entry/lobby area - I too very much enjoy the walk into the theater in commercial cinemas. It sets the mood for me and really gets me into losing myself in the experience. I always thought if I someday had the funds I would have a separate building and would want a nice long entry area just like a commercial theater - would love to have a setup like Dolby does with the curved video wall - as soon as I become a billionaire I'm doing it...
Yes, I am excited to have my own space to work with even though I come to the conclusion no matter how big the space, one will always want more. Lol

I have been framing and have a good portion of that finished with the rafters for the lower ceilings outside the room nearly done. I can post pics....just to prove it happened....but it's not much to look at.

Got my first HVAC quote and it was stupid high. 2nd HVAC guy comes today to quote the job. If the bids don't come down from the stratosphere, it looks like I will be doing diy minisplits. We shall see...

Tom

Oh, I squeaked out about a 5 foot wide finished space for the hallway running to the theater and the movie posters (50 inch vertical tvs) will be recessed in the wall so it will be a true 5 feet of clearance. Not the 8 foot wide I would have liked but it's not really bad.

post #16 of 69 Old 12-14-2018, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjambro View Post

But this may be a triple leaf as the inside wall of the pole barn will be drywalled as I mentioned. If I don't drywall the pole barn wall than there would only be one true leaf (soundlock and equipment closet space) since the outside of the pole barn is just sheet metal. The pole barn wall will be about 8" thick once I get the partion walls up but like I said, only one layer of drywall on the inside and sheet metal on outside.
Tom
Hello Tom

My shed conversion is similar to yours ,instead of timber post mine's steel perlins.I'll be framing out between the perlins and was thinking of putting 1 layer of fire sheild dry wall on one side and 2 layers on the other side to add stiffness to the steel studs .

Giving the outer wall cladding is colourbond/steel sheet would the single layer of dry wall cause a triple leaf .

Would be great if someone could give both us a answer .

Looking forward see your build come along

Cheers
Mal

DIY , Ikea Style
post #17 of 69 Old 12-17-2018, 04:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval56 View Post
Hello Tom

My shed conversion is similar to yours ,instead of timber post mine's steel perlins.I'll be framing out between the perlins and was thinking of putting 1 layer of fire sheild dry wall on one side and 2 layers on the other side to add stiffness to the steel studs .

Giving the outer wall cladding is colourbond/steel sheet would the single layer of dry wall cause a triple leaf .

Cheers
Mal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval56 View Post
Hello Tom

Cheers
Mal
I went back and forth on this but in the end decided that the thin sheet steel is close to being massless making what you described as NOT a triple leaf. I may be wrong but I am treating the sheet metal and roof as if it wasn't there at all. Extending this concept further before I hang channel for my ceiling I'm gonna put a layer of fire code rock on the underside of the trusses and then drop the ceiling the height of a 2x4 and then hang 2 layers of fire code from the channel.....unless someone tells me this is not the best way....

Good luck on your build and do you have a build thread?

Tom

post #18 of 69 Old 12-17-2018, 04:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Hi Tom

I'm coming to the same conclusion about the metal sheeting .
Here's my build
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...onversion.html

Cheers
Mal
tjambro likes this.

DIY , Ikea Style
post #19 of 69 Old 01-22-2019, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Not really much to show but all room walls and sub ceilings are framed out. Started insulating outside pole barn walls as well as theater interior walls (resonance control) and first layer of drywall in theater including the 12 foot ceiling.

Oh and I have almost burned through 2000 feet of 20a romex. Now some of it was for my 16x24 shed and 12x16 sunroom I built but most of it is for the theater and if you look at my AV closet picture below you will be able to see where a lot of it went. To the AV closet alone I ran three 240v circuits for the emotiva amps, three 120v circuits for the inuke 6000 sub amps (overkill) as well as two more 120v circuits for pj and processor. Also three 120v circuits for theater lights and outlets. Hopefully that will over it!

I've slowed down a little as I wait for the HVAC guys to finish. Decided to go with a 2 zone oversized duct system to supply less than 250 feet of air to keep it quiet. Low ambient controls as well as fresh air control and I will have six 2 foot registers in theater.

Once they are finished I can finish ceiling rock in rest of pole barn so I can blow attic insulation.

Taking a well deserved break next week to go skiing!

Tom

chirpie, Mike_WI, BllDo and 2 others like this.
post #20 of 69 Old 01-22-2019, 07:22 AM

Awesome. You can really see and appreciate the 12 foot ceilings in these pics. This room is going to be great when it's done. Any thoughts on your processor yet? With the Emotivas the Titans will really sing. And format? 7.1.4? 9.1.6?

Edit: I see in the first post - 9.2.4. So are we talking Emotiva RMC-1?
Mike_WI likes this.

Roll Tide.
post #21 of 69 Old 01-22-2019, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Awesome. You can really see and appreciate the 12 foot ceilings in these pics. This room is going to be great when it's done. Any thoughts on your processor yet? With the Emotivas the Titans will really sing. And format? 7.1.4? 9.1.6?

Edit: I see in the first post - 9.2.4. So are we talking Emotiva RMC-1?
Thanks and wow am I that transparent? Lol. Yes got the rmc-1 a couple of days ago where it will sit until I'm ready as I haven't built the titans yet. Hopefully they will have the dsp bug and any other nasties tamed by then.

Going with at least 9.4.4 but I will most likely run 2 additional atmos wires just in case I want to go to 6 overheads.

Planning on a diy stupid large screen that can be masked down if need be until funds/technology improves....can you say high output laser?

Oval56 and Pradeep2 like this.
post #22 of 69 Old 01-23-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks and wow am I that transparent?
I think everybody that wants 9.x.4 or 9.1.6 is transparent these days - unless they're already talking about a Trinnov...

Yes hopefully the RMC-1 will be 100% by that time. I'm really interested to hear how the system turns out - and betting with the Emo processing/amp the Titans will really be strong.

Roll Tide.
post #23 of 69 Old 01-23-2019, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes hopefully the RMC-1 will be 100% by that time. I'm really interested to hear how the system turns out - and betting with the Emo processing/amp the Titans will really be strong.
That's my hope as well! I will let you know but for now it's all about drywall...sigh....

post #24 of 69 Old 01-23-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Subscribed. I was thinking if I won the lottery I would buy some land I would build a large shed for a dedicated theater and garage for all the classic cars I have always wanted. But in reality I will just have to settle for my basement theater I am trying to build. I too am building a lobby for mine, but at the back of the theater. The rest of the area will be unfinished for storage. I plan on brining in the wood for my riser before finishing all the drywall, otherwise it would be hard to get it in the room. Here is my current setup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	snapshot.29.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	768.3 KB
ID:	2514980  

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #25 of 69 Old 01-23-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

There's definitely nothing wrong with a basement theater. My second theater was a basement theater and like you I made a lobby in the back of it. My first theater was on the main floor of a small house so the basement theater was so much nicer for WAF and resale value......having said that this is my first and I'm sure last build involving a designed from scratch space. Definitely not cheap but hopefully worth it!
Tom

tortelvis, chirpie, Oval56 and 2 others like this.
post #26 of 69 Old 02-24-2019, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Hi tj,

Great design you've got going there! I'm quite envious of the space you have for your theater and lobby.

My main concern with your design is that the equipment room may be a bit on the small side at 32"x51". You will be spending quite a bit of time in there and you don't want to be swearing at yourself for making it too small. If you move the theater entrance door closer to the lobby, you can pick up some more room in the equipment room. This will also make it a little easier to get those countertops and tall ladders into the theater. Think about turning your rack 180 degrees inside your room when you work on the wiring. You will want the walls to be at least the diagonal distance across your rack plus a few inches to protect your walls.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind:
  1. I'm planning on 3 layers of Type X plus Green Glue for my theater. Were you pleased with the isolation performance, especially with regards to the bass isolation (not many people have done 3 layers)?
  2. Are you planning a separate ceiling/roof for each room of the room-in-room (I think you mentioned that you were not, for this build)? If not, why not?
  3. With your previous build, did you use clips and channel for the interior drywall layers? What are you planning for this build?
  4. Are you planning on dual woofer Titans or just the standard design?

Thanks,
Mike
LTD02 likes this.
post #27 of 69 Old 02-24-2019, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhutchins View Post
My main concern with your design is that the equipment room may be a bit on the small side at 32"x51". You will be spending quite a bit of time in there and you don't want to be swearing at yourself for making it too small. If you move the theater entrance door closer to the lobby, you can pick up some more room in the equipment room. This will also make it a little easier to get those countertops and tall ladders into the theater. Think about turning your rack 180 degrees inside your room when you work on the wiring. You will want the walls to be at least the diagonal distance across your rack plus a few inches to protect your walls.

Mike, thanks for your input and yes, the space is a little small but it's actually the largest AV closet I've had to work with. Lol. If I put the theater entrance closer to the Lobby, my hallway with "gaunlet" of movie posters wouldn't be seen and it is a design element that I am not willing to give up. Also I want the entrance as far back from the screen as possible to minimize disturbance when people come and go. And lastly, I wanted the screen (think Titans and multiple Marty's) not directly on an outside wall for sound isolation reasons. So, while not perfect, I think I will stick with this layout. I think I will be able to get beside the rack to work on it and if that's not enough space, I will make sure I can roll it out so get behind it.

Quote:
I have a few questions, if you don't mind:
Not at all, I am an expert at one thing....my opinions!
Quote:

1. I'm planning on 3 layers of Type X plus Green Glue for my theater. Were you pleased with the isolation performance, especially with regards to the bass isolation (not many people have done 3 layers)?
Yes the isolation was good for bass but great for everything else. As you probably know bass is hard to stop. At loud levels my isolation stopped all voices, gun shots but deep bass could be still heard depending on where you where in the house. It ranged from nothing to a distant thunder storm unless you were directly over the IB chamber behind the screen. The guest room was the room directly above the IB sub chamber aka the "Jimmy Hoffa" room and it rattled the bookcases on the wood floor. But directly across the hall (and main floor beam) was the master bedroom and you couldn't hear or feel anything. I'm not trying to discourage you against 3 layers, it is by far the best way IMHO for relatively cheap sound isolation although twelve 5 gallon pails of GG can't be considered cheap!
Quote:
Quote:
  1. Are you planning a separate ceiling/roof for each room of the room-in-room (I think you mentioned that you were not, for this build)? If not, why not?
I would love to have a true separate ceiling rafters for this build but due to room width I would have had to go with I-beams instead of traditional lumber and I didn't want to give up that much space and also because this is not a basement build, there is no room directly over me. But if you are doing a basement build and have the available space, a true room within a room can't be beat, IMHO. Now I haven't been able to compare the separate rafter method to a clips and channel design which is what I'm using this time but for the ceiling only. Walls are double walls.

Quote:
With your previous build, did you use clips and channel for the interior drywall layers? What are you planning for this build?
Previous theater was a true room within a room with separate walls and separate ceiling rafters. No clips or channels, only DC04 clips to attach the walls to the new rafters which I debated skipping.

Quote:
Are you planning on dual woofer Titans or just the standard design?
Why dual woofer Titans of course! LOL. I will build the modified passive crossover as well.
post #28 of 69 Old 02-24-2019, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Drywall shell complete!

Still not an incredible amount to show but I am happy to report the theater shell is done! There are two separate walls with 2 layers with GG on 3 of the inner walls and 3 layers with GG on the back wall since it is an exterior wall and I wanted a little more isolation. All walls have unfaced R13 in both wall cavities.

Let's walk into the pole barn and...

Walk into the very cluttered Lobby. The wall with the drywall laying against it is the outer front wall of the theater. My wife says we skinned Chewbacca and there's a little chewie in each wall! Oh and since we're quoting the wife, she also says "Green Glue is the best thing to work with.. said no one ever!!"

You may think it's weird to have drywall above the drop ceiling but since the lobby is only 9 foot tall and the theater is 12 foot tall I wanted the extra mass on the outer wall to run the whole height of the theater.

Walking and tripping over all the riser build out materials you come to....

....the hallway to the theater. You can see the ceiling channels sitting on the 2x12s. They will be hung soon in the theater only. This is the "Poster Gaunlet" that you must walk through to get to the theater. There will be 4 50 inch TVs set in the walls...2 on the left and 2 on the right that will display posters. I made backer boxes for all 4. The end of this hallway where the insulation is is where my AV rack will be and the main theater door is just to the right. There will be a door about 8 feet or so in front of the AV rack that will be the first door you go through before going into the theater door. This is my soundlock area and this whole area will be treated just like the theater, double walls and double drywall and GG. The doors will not be framed out and hung until the 24" riser is built to make getting in there easier even though it will make sound isolation a little bit harder to accomplish IMHO. It's all about trade offs but I think the soundlock will make up for any loss in sound isolation.

Hanging a right in front of the AV closet will take you through the now gapping whole into...

....back of the theater. The riser will step up outside the theater in the hall just past the last poster and just before entering the sound lock. I would have loved to enter the theater directly behind the bar area but with the 18" sound treatments (and two full marty's) it looks like we will be entering right at the bar but still behind the 2nd row which was a design element I really wanted. Let's face it, you can't lock people in the theater and not let them pee until after the movie is over so I wanted to minimize distractions as much as possible.

The ladder on the left near the door opening is 10 feet, gives the room perspective, no? That back wall is the wall that I mentioned before that is an exterior wall and it has 3 layers of DW and GG on the internal wall. The inner wall has R13 as does the other walls but the outside wall is a little different and maybe controversial as I put drywall on the interior surface of the outer wall. It is insulated with faced R-19 fluffy because it is an outside wall. The reason I put drywall on the inner surface of this wall is this build is in a pole barn and a pole barn is basically just lumber sheathed in thin steel. I am hoping I am not creating a triple leaf but IMHO, the metal sheathing has no real mass when compared to the masses that we are used to working with. My thoughts were that once sound penetrated the 3 layers of the inner theater wall there would be no air space and mass to stop the sound from leaving the building so that's why I put the additional drywall and coresponding air space into play. I will be doing the ceiling the same way for the same reasons.

If we turn around we will see....

....front of the theater. Right behind this wall is the lobby wall you saw in the first pic...you know....the Chewie Wall! On the floor is the first layer of OSB that will be hung on channel under the ceiling drywall. I plan on a total of 4 ceiling layers...the one drywall layer directly installed on the trusses and then comes clip and channel which will hold a layer of OSB and then 2 layers of drywall. The 3 suspended layers will have GG of course. Since this is about as much as should be supported from the trusses and would probably be too much if it wasn't a static load, I will be placing the channel 16" OC to support the 3 layers. I plan on putting R11 in between the truss drywall and the 3 suspended layers for resonance control just like in the walls.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

Next up will be chalking of the ceiling rafters so hopefully we can get a good bite into the trusses with the channel and then we will hang the OSB but not until the second....yes...second drywall lift comes on Tuesday. The first lift just isn't safe anymore. I don't know if it's because I inserted an extension rod to reach the ceiling which caused excessive stress on it or because we dropped a sheet from height which injured one of the wheels but it is really difficult to use now and I don't feel safe using it for 3 more layers 12 foot high. The new lift supposedly goes 16 feet without needing an extension so we shall see...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lobby.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	2530680   Click image for larger version

Name:	hall.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	2530682   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	2530684   Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	2530686  
chirpie, BllDo, Oval56 and 2 others like this.
post #29 of 69 Old 02-24-2019, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 763
This is going to be epic. I love the detail you’ve provided here. Your hallway plan is going to be so neat. I cannot wait to see this come together.

Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
post #30 of 69 Old 02-25-2019, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post
This is going to be epic. I love the detail you’ve provided here. Your hallway plan is going to be so neat. I cannot wait to see this come together.

Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Aaron! I've been enjoying reading your thread! We have similar sized rooms the same LCR's, dedicated 2 zone HVAC, I'll most likely be getting same quantity and brand of chair....if we could just trade projectors I'd be golden. Lol. Mine will hold me off until lasers are more affordable.

Keep up the great work and documentation of your build you are getting close!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
constant area , diysg , nearfield sub , pole barn , titan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page