Painting Red walls in a home theatre room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #1 of 45 Old 09-27-2018, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Painting Red walls in a home theatre room

Went through this forum & came across many discussions around this but wanted to check how many of you have painted Red in home theatre walls...
I also hear that Red walls might be distracting the view. Please share your personal experience with Red walls.
I know Dark Grey is most preferred one but unfortunately my other walls/areas are painted light pink so not sure if dark Grey can match with those if i paint my home theatre area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 09-27-2018, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newuser2018 View Post
Went through this forum & came across many discussions around this but wanted to check how many of you have painted Red in home theatre walls...
I also hear that Red walls might be distracting the view. Please share your personal experience with Red walls.
I know Dark Grey is most preferred one but unfortunately my other walls/areas are painted light pink so not sure if dark Grey can match with those if i paint my home theatre area.
Gray is neutral and should be able to go with pretty much any color. Red+pink might actually look a little overwhelming. Do you have pictures?
post #3 of 45 Old 09-27-2018, 06:05 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 386 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4343 Post(s)
Liked: 2155
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
I have designed at least 4 Theaters that used very dark hued Red Walls, complimented by a very Dark Gray ceiling with matching Gray Base & Crown. Carpet was a Dark Gray with a lighter Gray swirling pattern.

Red & Gray are excellent matches, and although Red being a Fire-Color would usually be detrimental, when it is extremely Deep in hue, and a Flat sheen as well, it actually fades to black under low or totally controlled lighting. Remember..very Dark, saturated Flat Red. Not Fire Engine Red.

Using a water based Interior Enamel for both Ceiling and Walls (Oil Based for Trim in a Satin) assures that the finished surfaces will not have the usual "Dusty-Dull" look, and also be lightly scrub-able.
All that means that those surfaces will absorb light energy with not being hideously dull.

Huuuuh.....Gray and Pink.

Well Pink itself is a Hot color (...no jokes, please ) and bochoss has the gist of it right. Gray is a Neutral (...and BTW the Dark Gray used should also be of a Neutral shade...)

.......................but I kinda think that the Theater color choice should be exempt from being influenced but the rest of the Home's color decor. Kinda thing kinda strongly...actually.

The object of / behind the design of a Theater that is both pleasingly attractive under lights and a effective performer when lights are restricted demands that certain parameters be followed. But "demands" and "Personal choice" can and often do conflict with one another so choose your own preference based on your personal criteria 1st, and what is proper 2nd..

We await the wisdom of your choice.
Dark Matter likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 Old 09-27-2018, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Red Room

Check what I have
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT 3.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	2461130  
post #5 of 45 Old 09-27-2018, 06:52 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

There ya go.......Red & Gray saves the Day.

Although the image cropping makes it look like a 4:3 w/Stereo format.

And please......consider painting those White Grills and Wall Plates the same as the Wall. They hurt my eyes.
DaveClement likes this.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #6 of 45 Old 09-28-2018, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnupe View Post
Check what I have
Just WOW...Looks beautiful actually.
May I know what Red is this exactly? I like it...

If you have been on this RED for a while (I presume so), i am sure you are not bothered with movie distracting issues due to Red color as I presume with lights off, Red is also off
post #7 of 45 Old 09-28-2018, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
I have designed at least 4 Theaters that used very dark hued Red Walls, complimented by a very Dark Gray ceiling with matching Gray Base & Crown. Carpet was a Dark Gray with a lighter Gray swirling pattern.

Red & Gray are excellent matches, and although Red being a Fire-Color would usually be detrimental, when it is extremely Deep in hue, and a Flat sheen as well, it actually fades to black under low or totally controlled lighting. Remember..very Dark, saturated Flat Red. Not Fire Engine Red.

Using a water based Interior Enamel for both Ceiling and Walls (Oil Based for Trim in a Satin) assures that the finished surfaces will not have the usual "Dusty-Dull" look, and also be lightly scrub-able.
All that means that those surfaces will absorb light energy with not being hideously dull.

Huuuuh.....Gray and Pink.

Well Pink itself is a Hot color (...no jokes, please ) and bochoss has the gist of it right. Gray is a Neutral (...and BTW the Dark Gray used should also be of a Neutral shade...)

.......................but I kinda think that the Theater color choice should be exempt from being influenced but the rest of the Home's color decor. Kinda thing kinda strongly...actually.

The object of / behind the design of a Theater that is both pleasingly attractive under lights and a effective performer when lights are restricted demands that certain parameters be followed. But "demands" and "Personal choice" can and often do conflict with one another so choose your own preference based on your personal criteria 1st, and what is proper 2nd..

We await the wisdom of your choice.
Thanks for such a valuable info especially on 'very Dark, saturated Flat Red'.
I read somewhere that Eggshell could be a better choice than dead Flat for home theatre. Any opinion on this please?
post #8 of 45 Old 09-28-2018, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Only paint walls red if you really, really like to paint. It took me 2 coats of red tinted primer followed by 4 coats of "one-coat" deep red paint to get an even coat on my walls. I loved it, but am not fond enough of painting to do it again.
post #9 of 45 Old 09-28-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Quote:

Red & Gray are excellent matches,
Being an Ohio State Buckeye, I tend to agree.. Scarlet and Gray would be perfect.
post #10 of 45 Old 09-28-2018, 08:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 690
I might have went all black if I knew I would never have to sell the house down the road but since that is not the case I opted to make it more aesthetic in appearance. I have not found this to be distracting in the least although I am probably losing a little bit in contrast ration on the screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1733.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	555.9 KB
ID:	2461360  

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #11 of 45 Old 09-28-2018, 09:13 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Paint Chemistry 101 (Pop quiz on Monday...take notes!)

Quote:
Thanks for such a valuable info especially on 'very Dark, saturated Flat Red'.
I read somewhere that Eggshell could be a better choice than dead Flat for home theatre. Any opinion on this please?

Opinion? Don't break any Eggs

A wall of ANY color that has ANY sheen will reflect light, and Eggshell has a noticeable sheen.

The advice that was given was undoubtedly to avoid the dusty appearance and non-scrub-ability of a Flat, because any interior Paint whose sheen moves above Flat contains substantially more acrylic content, graduating upward to the Gloss level.

Here's a quick chart to illustrate.:
  • Flat (0% gloss)
  • Low Sheen *or Matte* (5-10% gloss)
  • Eggshell (10–25% gloss)
  • Satin (26–40% gloss)
  • Semi Gloss (41–69% gloss)
  • Gloss (70–89% gloss)

Not a lot of paint Mfg offer the "Low Sheen-Matte" range, preferring to jump from Flat to Eggshell, so many do in fact get advice from Pros to use Eggshell. Which is perfectly good advice for any normal use home. Flat White...or "Ceiling White" is used to hide surface defects, which occur more often on Ceilings because of less ability (...or costly effort...) by the Drywall Finishers. But Nix-ay on Flat for use on Walls...generally. Again, when it's used, it's done to "Cover" blemishes and hide application defects.

What make the difference between the ranges? A combination of the percentage of a "Binder" (usually Acrylic in a Water Based Paint ) as well as the initial Pigment content of a given Base.

The newer "Primer-Paint" that most all brands now offer have a preponderance of Acrylic content. Old style "Dead Flat" paint actually used Talc as a binder. Try to find a Talcum Powder that is either glossy or more solid in consistency! The inherent "looseness" of a Flat painted surface so susceptible to abrasion...even wiping, but also makes it easier to touch up.

In Interior "Water Based" Enamels, the Acrylic content (...as shown in the chart above...) rises proportionately to the amount of Gloss added, which pertains to the degree of Sheen evidenced.

I always use Flat Interior Enamel for Wall and Ceilings, and "Oil Based" Eggshell for Trim. The latter for shear durability factors for Window/Door / Base Trim. Crown Trim can receive The same Flat treatment as the Ceiling.

Lastly. room color schemes are reversed for a Theater,with Light Base Trim / Ceiling -Darker Walls, changing up to Dark Base Trim - Darker Ceiling with a Wall color that usually falls somewhere in the Middle ranges. Now some still advocate Black (...really an ugly choice with 0% WAF ) and then do themselves the injustice by choosing a Dead Flat variety. There are higher quality "super saturated" Flat Blacks that themselves contain lots of Acrylics...and they do work better (still a Tomb-Like choice...) but they cost considerably more as well.

Leading us back to they type of Paint chosen being just as important as the Color...both being joined at the Hip as far as performance.

I'm done here.
atolnay00 likes this.

post #12 of 45 Old 09-28-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 1098
Quote:

It also depends on how close your screen will be to the side walls that will be red. As you get closer you will likely get some red hue into white scenes as well as being distracting in my opinion.

If you have at maybe 2.5-4ft from screen to walls it would likely not be as noticeable. You can always try it and repaint.

If you want color I would suggest at least painting black or using velvet for about 5 ft along the wall from you screen. It will make a big difference. You can use a nice wood trim to differentiate the black area from the rest of he wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #13 of 45 Old 09-28-2018, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I might have went all black if I knew I would never have to sell the house down the road but since that is not the case I opted to make it more aesthetic in appearance. I have not found this to be distracting in the least although I am probably losing a little bit in contrast ration on the screen.

I like the wood structure design on your side walls. I am adding your image to my collection of images for my next theater build. I would replace the light tan fabric with black tapering to dark gray going towards the back of the room.

Your room looks very cool.

7.4.6 system: Processors:Marantz 8805 || Xilica XP4080 Amps: Parasound A31 and ATI AT528NC & AT526NC n-core ||Speakers: Procella P8 LCR, Procella P5/P5 in-wall
Subs: JTR Captivator subs: One S2, Two RS2, One S1
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD Acoustically Transparent, 128" diagonal / 118" wide || Projector: JVC X570/RS420
post #14 of 45 Old 09-29-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsider3000 View Post
I like the wood structure design on your side walls. I am adding your image to my collection of images for my next theater build. I would replace the light tan fabric with black tapering to dark gray going towards the back of the room.

Your room looks very cool.

Thanks! The fabric is actually gold! not tan.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #15 of 45 Old 09-29-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I tried flat black and absolutely hated it. If you touch it the spot is pretty much there forever to one degree or another. On my trim I ended up mixing eggshell and flat in a ~2.5:1 ratio. It does have some sheen but not as much as the eggshell and you can gently wipe it with a damp, lint-free rag and the spot/scuff/touch mark is gone.

Denali Cinema
post #16 of 45 Old 09-29-2018, 12:08 PM

Eng-399 has red walls in his theater room, and it looks nice. Look through his posts, or send him a PM for some pics.

Here's one of his youtube videos, but it's a bit dark to see the wall color (but maybe that's a good thing with the lights off!)
Dark Matter likes this.
post #17 of 45 Old 09-29-2018, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I used Ancient Burgundy and Black for my room.

PAINT
- Valspar "Ancient Burgundy" number 1011-6
- Behr Mouse Ears Black Eggshell (only for the Wainscoting)
- Behr Mouse Ears Black Flat (everywhere else black was called for)

In this picture, to the left of the black curtain is a Maroon Fabric Panel, to the right where the sconce is located is painted Valspar Ancient Burgundy Flat paint.

The back wall on the right side of this picture is also painted. It is very hard to tell the difference between the fabric wall panels and the painted walls.

bochoss likes this.
post #18 of 45 Old 09-30-2018, 06:24 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

The overriding reason a deep Flat Red is so appropriate is seen in the last few images. When washed with directed light, it gives a eye pleasing relief to the surrounding "darkness" yet gobbles up light outside the light's umbra of influence.

I've also used exceedingly saturated "Blue-Green" w/a Deeper Blue Trim.

Basically, any deep, cool color in a Flat Interior Enamel will work, and many will meet the WAF.

Ahhhhh...Disney Mouse Ears. A sentimental favorite that works pretty well if used with the right paint.
Nicely done, jimmyk36!
(...I'd go back and spray those HVAC Grills though.....)

post #19 of 45 Old 09-30-2018, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
(...I'd go back and spray those HVAC Grills though.....)

LOL (Hopefully not thread jacking) Those are actually my Soffits and they are covered with removable panels that I created using Yard Sticks, DMD Black Fabric and Rare Earth Magnets. They are all covered now

Here are the yardstick frames before stapling on the fabric:

And here is a close up shot of a finished frame on the left (Look Closely - hard to see) next to an unfinished Frame being test fitted:

post #20 of 45 Old 10-01-2018, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all,
Thought of attaching my Pics here so i can get most accurate opinions/ideas.
Imagine, whole basement is painted in this color called 'Secret Scent'
Now, I want to Re-paint ONLY the home theater section - Wall behind the screen, left/Right walls & wall opposite to screen which is 15 ft far.
My objective is to get the most perfect image quality (without compromising on factors such as human distortion, image quality/reflection, etc.)
-I personally liked dark/dead Red shade but someone raised a very good point that RED may not be suitable if there is not enough distance between Screen & adjacent wall. Any opinion?
-Do you think a Dark Grey shade or even Dark Burgundy is most suited for this?
FYI, i will leave the Secret Scent (light pink shade) paint as it is in other walls.

Also, in this basement, I just have 2 small glass windows on top which are covered with a blind so no issues with lighting factors. In fact, I can actually make the room super Dark if i want with all lights turned OFF.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180930_120647.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	565.3 KB
ID:	2462546   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180930_120717.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	567.0 KB
ID:	2462554   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180930_120703.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	499.2 KB
ID:	2462556  
post #21 of 45 Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

So for my version 1.0 "theater" I just painted the front wall and part of the ceiling black.

I was happy with that (for awhile). I would just try doing something like this to start and see how you like it. It is only paint - probably the least expensive "upgrade" you can do to your theater. Also very easy to undo if you don't like it.

You have to be careful - Once you start down the home theater path, it is never "good enough"

My second phase was to build a stage and put up linacoustic on the walls around the screen and then that was "good enough.... for awhile"

And then is just went on from there. I have a lot of details in my build thread that may help out.
post #22 of 45 Old 10-01-2018, 07:55 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Back again to that "Someone" again, eh? Well I think the answers you've received concerning Deep Flat Reds have effectively consigned that to being apersonal take, not based on pretty well determined results by others.

Moving onward.........

For Maximum Light rejection, go dark Gray Walls & Ceiling, with either the ultra Dark Red for Trim, or an even darker shade of Gray.

The very deep Flat Burgundy certainly qualifies in this case....but the images do show the screen virtually flush against the Sidewalls, so be advised that with such a close proximity, even the deepest shade of Gray (or Black) will at least exhibit some degree of a residual muted glow.

That said, why not consider this paint scheme....a deep Flat Red with a Dark Gray angled "Box Effect" that flows down from the Gray Ceiling into the Base Trim.

Maximum light suppression where it's most needed whilst you retain a balance of Color through the majority of the Room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Burgandy and Gray.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	2462774  
bochoss and Dark Matter like this.

post #23 of 45 Old 10-01-2018, 11:45 PM

Agree with MississippiMan, go dark right next to the screen, and deep red elsewhere. I put black velvet on the first 4' surrounding my screen. Dark paint will look nicer than velvet (when lights are on), but not absorb as much light.
post #24 of 45 Old 10-02-2018, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again.
Just to confirm my understanding, i have done paint Visualisation for the walls based on your inputs.
Much helpful if you could kindly check that & let me know
-Imagine, the area after that Line in Right wall will be painted Dark Red or Burgundy or whatever shade.
-Is this what you are recommending I mean sort of? You suggest Twin color kinda?
-What about the white Base boards? Should it be painted again same Dark shade instead of white?
-As you can see in pic, flooring is Ceramic Tiles but in future I might do Carpet over there, not at this stage.
-Ceiling: Drop/Suspended tiles so i have little control to that.

thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PaintedWall.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	2462886  
post #25 of 45 Old 10-02-2018, 10:33 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Thanks again.
Just to confirm my understanding, i have done paint Visualisation for the walls based on your inputs.
Much helpful if you could kindly check that & let me know
-Imagine, the area after that Line in Right wall will be painted Dark Red or Burgundy or whatever shade.
-Is this what you are recommending I mean sort of? You suggest Twin color kinda?

Yes...although there is just two Colors in the Room. Dark Gray Ceilings & Trim, Screen Wall, and Forward Side Walls with Angled Red (or Burgundy) on all other Wall areas.

Quote:
-What about the white Base boards? Should it be painted again same Dark shade instead of white?
Yessir! Why would you want white Stripes around the bottom of the room? How terribly distracting !!! You paint over the Trim using a Oil Based Eggshell Enamel in the Dark Gray

Quote:
-As you can see in pic, flooring is Ceramic Tiles but in future I might do Carpet over there, not at this stage.
Soon I hope.....that room must have a definite "Ring" to it.

Quote:
-Ceiling: Drop/Suspended tiles so i have little control to that.
Oh yeah ya do........ Ceiling Tiles paint up easily enough (though spraying is best) and the Grids you use a Brush on. You can...if your against redoing the entire Ceiling, just paint about 3 rows of Tile out from the Screen Wall (6' out w/2'x2' tiles) to match where the angled Gray meets the Ceiling. I suggested using a angled line instead of a straight "Box-Like" look.............because it looks better.

Quote:
thanks in advance
Your Welcome.
Newuser2018 likes this.

post #26 of 45 Old 10-02-2018, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I love my red/burgundy walls.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5587.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	875.9 KB
ID:	2462974  
tnycman and Newuser2018 like this.
post #27 of 45 Old 10-02-2018, 03:37 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedo View Post
I love my red/burgundy walls.

Very nice...and a great depiction of the Gray Trim motif.

post #28 of 45 Old 10-02-2018, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Very nice...and a great depiction of the Gray Trim motif.
Actually the trim is black, Sherwin Williams. The carpet is gray, but I wish it was darker too.
post #29 of 45 Old 10-02-2018, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your valuable information especially MississippiMan.
I bow to you all especially in sharing your own personal experience/expertise which is now helping me decide the best flavor

I believe I have enough info now & will go ahead and share pics with you all once done.

@greedo - WoW...I love that Red shade in your home theater. Impressive....I do not think I can even get closer to that....
post #30 of 45 Old 10-06-2018, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk36 View Post
I used Ancient Burgundy and Black for my room.

PAINT
- Valspar "Ancient Burgundy" number 1011-6
- Behr Mouse Ears Black Eggshell (only for the Wainscoting)
- Behr Mouse Ears Black Flat (everywhere else black was called for)

In this picture, to the left of the black curtain is a Maroon Fabric Panel, to the right where the sconce is located is painted Valspar Ancient Burgundy Flat paint.

The back wall on the right side of this picture is also painted. It is very hard to tell the difference between the fabric wall panels and the painted walls.

What sconces are those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page