Please help to find the best option. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By liffie420

post #1 of 13 Old 10-02-2018, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please help to find the best option.

Hi all,

First of all, thank you for checking out my thread!

In December I'll move in to my new home and I would like to ask your advice what would be the best option to get the best music / soundquality out of it.

The dimensions of the room: L 5.13m x W 2.98m x H 2.30m / L16'10 x W 9'9 x H 7'65

I have attached two main options and couple sub variants

I'm open for any good ideas or discussions.

PS: Door can be converted to slide door and I could buy abit smaller couch to have more options and space.

Thank you
Xes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lounge Plan B, Corner.png
Views:	47
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	2462878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lounge plan A, wall A.png
Views:	43
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	2462880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Positioning.png
Views:	38
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	2462882  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-02-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Xes View Post
Hi all,

First of all, thank you for checking out my thread!

In December I'll move in to my new home and I would like to ask your advice what would be the best option to get the best music / soundquality out of it.

The dimensions of the room: L 5.13m x W 2.98m x H 2.30m / L16'10 x W 9'9 x H 7'65

I have attached two main options and couple sub variants

I'm open for any good ideas or discussions.

PS: Door can be converted to slide door and I could buy abit smaller couch to have more options and space.

Thank you
Xes
Look's pretty good, I really don't know much about Dali speakers, though. Whats your primary use? Music or HT? If music are you interested in multi channel music? Only thing I would probably change is the sub. As I said i don't know much about Dali speakers or subs for that matter. But there are other subs that would probably work better especially for HT. That Dali sub only goes down to 37hz which isn't bad for music only but not great for HT, you might look at something from BK electronics. Are you in the UK? When it comes to sub's there is no need to have it form the same brand as your mains. Generally, and there are always exceptions, speaker first companies usually make poor subs, or actually subs that are a bit over prices based on their capabilities.
The_Xes likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 10-02-2018, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Look's pretty good, I really don't know much about Dali speakers, though. Whats your primary use? Music or HT? If music are you interested in multi channel music? Only thing I would probably change is the sub. As I said i don't know much about Dali speakers or subs for that matter. But there are other subs that would probably work better especially for HT. That Dali sub only goes down to 37hz which isn't bad for music only but not great for HT, you might look at something from BK electronics. Are you in the UK? When it comes to sub's there is no need to have it form the same brand as your mains. Generally, and there are always exceptions, speaker first companies usually make poor subs, or actually subs that are a bit over prices based on their capabilities.
Hi liffie420,

Thank you for your comment.

Yes, I'm from the UK

Hmm, I would say 70% music - 30% HT. The position of the sub is going to depend on the acoustics of the room. I will do the "crawl test" and other measurements.

I'm happy with the sub so far and not planing to change for a while as I'm just buying a new house (out of £££). But I get what you're saying about the 37hz limit.

What do you think which is the best plan from those I uploaded? Or what would you change on them if anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 10-02-2018, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Hi liffie420,

Thank you for your comment.

Yes, I'm from the UK

Hmm, I would say 70% music - 30% HT. The position of the sub is going to depend on the acoustics of the room. I will do the "crawl test" and other measurements.

I'm happy with the sub so far and not planing to change for a while as I'm just buying a new house (out of £££). But I get what you're saying about the 37hz limit.

What do you think which is the best plan from those I uploaded? Or what would you change on them if anything?
Oh I didn't realize you had already bought them. Hey to be honest if your happy with your purchase that's all that really matters. I was happy with my cheapo Dayton SUB1200 for a while. Anyway as far as your layouts I think any would be ok. Generally you want the surrounds above and slightly behind you according to Dolby specifications I believe. But having them to the side is fine thats the way mine are and at different distances at that, if you do end up putting them behind you on the shelf behind the couch or on the rear wall a good ways back make sure and angle them towards your main listening position. When you run your AVR's room correction it will adjust speaker levels to account for varying speakers distances.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-03-2018, 02:18 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I'd probably go with version 3, because this way the back speakers would be nicely tuck away.

But have you considered rotating your room 180°, and use a projector and a retractable projector screen instead? That would allow you to move the MLP away from the center of the room, avoiding acoustic problems.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-03-2018, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
I'd probably go with version 3, because this way the back speakers would be nicely tuck away.

But have you considered rotating your room 180°, and use a projector and a retractable projector screen instead? That would allow you to move the MLP away from the center of the room, avoiding acoustic problems.
Hi Silva,

Welcome to the conversation

Hmm, I see what you're saying about version 3.

Do you think I will have nice side image/feeling as well even when the front and the back is far from each other but close to the sidewalls?

Ye, to be honest that would be the best option as you just described. The only problem is the money.
I cannot afford to upgrade my equipment right know due to the new house. (Couple hundreds on speaker console, foams and traps is fine but not for an expensive new equipment)
post #7 of 13 Old 10-07-2018, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Any other suggestions?
post #8 of 13 Old 10-08-2018, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Do you think I will have nice side image/feeling as well even when the front and the back is far from each other but close to the sidewalls?
Each speaker behaves differently, but usually (ideally) you shouldn't place them close to the walls. Your room isn't very wide, but it is what it is, so you'll have to live with it.
But don't worry too much, I'm sure it will sound perfectly ok.

In any case, if you have a wife or girlfriend, try to convince her it's cool to have the speakers away from the walls.
post #9 of 13 Old 10-08-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Ever consider flipping the room end for end? You could then center the seating on the room's width

That flip could set you up for a projector and acoustically transparent screen and front wall
down the road, if you ever wanted to make the room a dedicated theater...

That's pretty much my current layout in a 9'5" wide room , at 18' long and 7'1" tall. The entry
door at the side and a 54x96" AT screen looking bigger then it really is.
post #10 of 13 Old 10-08-2018, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1979 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Something along these lines perhaps?

The potential upgrade could also use a third matching speaker, if that is a small center channel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	initial setup.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	2465574   Click image for larger version

Name:	potential upgrade option.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	2465576  
post #11 of 13 Old 10-10-2018, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Something along these lines perhaps?

The potential upgrade could also use a third matching speaker, if that is a small center channel.
Hi Tedd,

Wow, thanks for the effort man! You did drawing and everything, much appreciated

The 2nd one is a bit too much. The idea is very good but my wife wouldn't agree to that

The 1st one looks promising. The couch is in the right position, speakers too. The only question is the TV, we have to see how would it look in real life when it is front of the window. See the house isn't ready yet, they are still building it but I would like to have the good ideas in hand so when it is done we can try them out acoustically and ascetically as well.

Which is better what do you think? If I use the speakers as back speakers or if I use them as side speakers? The main reason I'm asking cuz dobly recommendation (from the pictures at least) when they have a 5.1 they use the side speakers and only on 7.1 setup when they use back speakers.

Thanks a lot
post #12 of 13 Old 10-10-2018, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I know the room is not ideal, it is small and narrow but yes that is what I have

The only reason I want to put the speakers closer to the side walls to widen the sound stage and the possible sitting distance from the sound source.

Also I have the Dali speakers and they require to be close up to the back wall due to their design. (see the attached pic from the User manual of the speaker)

I'm not trying to be smart here or anything quite the opposite I try to use the information that I've gathered but if I'm wrong with anything that I said Please DO correct me because I don't want o be right but I want the pest possible solution with the tool that I have currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silva741 View Post
Each speaker behaves differently, but usually (ideally) you shouldn't place them close to the walls. Your room isn't very wide, but it is what it is, so you'll have to live with it.
But don't worry too much, I'm sure it will sound perfectly ok.

In any case, if you have a wife or girlfriend, try to convince her it's cool to have the speakers away from the walls.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dali poz.png
Views:	2
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	2466636  
post #13 of 13 Old 10-12-2018, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Also I have the Dali speakers and they require to be close up to the back wall due to their design. (see the attached pic from the User manual of the speaker)
In that case, no need to worry. You'll just need to try different placements until you're happy with the sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
build , home cinema , room , sound

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page