Ready for v2 home theater need advice. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ready for v2 home theater need advice.

Jumped the gun last time and yes it has worked but I’m not happy with it. Been using a 55” tv and it’s not really what I would call a home theater yet. Time for a v2!!

Kinda small room but want the big screen experience. I want to say wow when I watch a movie and want my friends and family to say the same thing.

Ok. Room size is 13x13x8
Viewing distance is about 9’-10’
The room will be flipped towards the empty wall. In the first pic. Did have it faced towards the fireplace. It was nice at first now I’m over it.
The pics are when I first was building it. I plan on getting to this point again and starting with a clean slate.

I already have Onkyo txnr757 and set up for 5.1.2
Atmos
klipsch r26f x2
Quintet v center and two on Ceiling
R15m rear surrounds
10” klipsch sub

Looking to do 125” 2:35 screen been looking hard at the Epson 5040ub would be 12” from wall and looking at a throw of 122”

Was wanting to do a svs pb4000 but I would like two subs. They are so expensive. So thought about doing 2 klipsch 15” for less money.

Can’t decide on a center or subs. One or two subs?. Svs or klipsch??? Even looking at other projectors. I would like to do an acoustic transparent screen but I don’t need to. Thinking about extending into the garage about 3’ to get a little more room to put speakers behind screen. Just can’t decide so wanted to ask advice. Also not sure that I want to lose garage space. Room can’t be extended the other direction without having a beam put in due to a load bearing wall. That’s to much $$$$ so out of the question. I’m planing on having the audio gear for a while and I would rather have to much for the house to make sure the next time we move or if I extend the other direction I don’t need to buy subs again. Trying to keep the center speaker under the $600 range max and for subs not sure but can’t afford 2x svs pb4000

Also been thinking about doing a drop Ceiling as close as I can to the one I have now to run all my wires and add some acoustic treatment to the room. My house is on a slab and above the theater room is my bedroom so no easy way to run wires.

Thanks for any advice. As I do this new build I will start a new thread on construction update and record everything I do!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Quoted: 5702 Post(s)
Liked: 3770
I think your challenge is going to be throw unless you can poke your projector through the wall from the other room beside it. But man if there's anything you can do to avoid Epson and get into a JVC or something that actually has some decent blacks (unless that's just not important to you). Also, 5.1.4 is a huge improvement over 5.1.2 or 7.1.2 if you can do that I would. I mean even if the rear highs were on the rear wall if the had to be.

For sound, I would value a single sub and better center over a cheaper center and two subs. I almost think the center should be the best single speaker in your room.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I think your challenge is going to be throw unless you can poke your projector through the wall from the other room beside it. But man if there's anything you can do to avoid Epson and get into a JVC or something that actually has some decent blacks (unless that's just not important to you). Also, 5.1.4 is a huge improvement over 5.1.2 or 7.1.2 if you can do that I would. I mean even if the rear highs were on the rear wall if the had to be.

For sound, I would value a single sub and better center over a cheaper center and two subs. I almost think the center should be the best single speaker in your room.

What jvc? I looked at the 550 and it’s more than a grand more than the Epson. Blacks are important to me but that quite a bit more money for the projector. Could maybe do a poke through with some custom box around the projector but the other room is a screened in Patio. It does have a full roof and ceiling so a box around it vented to the roof with a fan maybe for ventilation is possible. Could be made weather tight would just need to find a way to get it some ventilation. I also plan to get a 5.1.4 set up at some point. I want to get a projector and a screen first. In fact I would be getting a new sub(subs) or a new center till I get a screen and projector.

Also what’s your opinion on the ceiling or the transparent screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Well the projector under the roof might be tricky with the angle. I don’t know. I have maybe a foot above the doors where it would need to be mounted. Can’t have it shining through the patio door in the middle of the patio. Lol. It can possibly be done though. Just not sure how.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 06:11 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 464 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6198 Post(s)
Liked: 5880
At a 122 throw the largest 2.35 image is 98 inches diagonal. if the Projection central calculator is working properly.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
At a 122 throw the largest 2.35 image is 98 inches diagonal. if the Projection central calculator is working properly.

I typed wrong. The throw will be at 13’. The projected image should be at 120” according to the same calculator on projection central if I did it right.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 06:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

diag or width? usually we talk about width on 2.35 screens
post #8 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
diag or width? usually we talk about width on 2.35 screens

Oh sorry. That was diagonal.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 06:39 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I'm getting 125 max diag at 13 ft. Since you are so close to the limit I would hang your projector and measure your max image before ordering the screen. You might discover you can't get 13 ft, remember that is to the lens not the mounting pole.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-18-2018, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Ready for v2 home theater need advice.

Quote:
I'm getting 125 max diag at 13 ft. Since you are so close to the limit I would hang your projector and measure your max image before ordering the screen. You might discover you can't get 13 ft, remember that is to the lens not the mounting pole.

Will do! That was my plan. I just now figured out that I could change the calculation to 2.35 on that site. Should give me this right?

Last edited by hadiclownsalty; 10-19-2018 at 05:24 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-22-2018, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

What’s everyone’s opinion on adding the drop ceiling or not? Any more sub advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page