Canadian Bacon / Oak Town Theater Build - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #31 of 59 Old 11-09-2018, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Crap! When I edited it erased my post lol!

You need to install the electrical boxes first and roll up your cable in it (if it doesn't all fit leave it loose and the drywallers will take care of it). Make sure you leave enough cable so that you can move your speakers and play with placement. (I learned that the hard way for one of my subs wire. Had to get a speakon adapter and another cable...)

Phil.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 11-09-2018, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquepattern View Post
Ahh, I found the Canadian thread.... Id better join in... lol...

Looks like things are coming along well! Cant wait to see how this turns out!
Welcome, eh!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzer55 View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for insulating / soundproofing the framed walls, I was thinking safe n sound on the interior walls and comfort batt on the exterior walls, is that sort of a bare minumim approach given i'm not going the DD / GG approach?
I'm going with spray foam on my exterior walls - it's not good for sound, but I want a fully sealed exteriorto eliminate things like drafts, bugs, and small leaks. There will be probably 1-2" left in the stud cavities, which I plan to fill with Safe'n'Sound, and that will also go into all interior walls and up into the ceiling above the drywall throughout the basement. I have put an extra layer of drywall+GG between joists in the theatre, and it will be a DD+GG shell in that room.

Quote:
Prior to running cables is there something obvious i'm missing

HDMI conduit for projector
4 in wall 14 gauge wires for 2 in wall surrounds / atmos
3 in wall 14 gauge for F/L/R
2 long coax cables for subs (only one now but may add another)
Another 14 gauge speaker wire if I decide to go passive sub
Conduit space for an IR repeater at front of the room

Anything else I should think about, I keep reading that people run Cat6 all over their theater however i'm not sure why this would be needed. Should I be running other cables to the projector other than the HDMI 2.0? Thanks
Draw out a plan of your basement, and think about any equipment that MIGHT get used in each location. Anywhere that might need a network drop, like desks, TV or media streamers, smart speakers, etc... I put one extra location for wifi extenders on each floor as well just in case.

Quote:
Thanks - One point i'm struggling with. Given I am running cables to the speakers, how do you set them in place before the drywallers come in? Is it necessary to put an electrical box with the cable taped to it for every speaker? Do you simply tape it to the frame and note where it is so you can cut a hole and grab it later?

I have 6 of the below however I think they need an electric box to screw into??

https://www.amazon.ca/Datacomm-45-00.../dp/B00193U3O0
I think you'll want a low voltage box for this. Lowe's and Home Depot each carry their own version, and after trying both, I prefer the Carlon ones available from HD:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...000162123.html

"You can never have too many clamps."
My DIYSG HTM-12 build
My dual sealed UXL-18 build
post #33 of 59 Old 11-10-2018, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Did someone say Bacon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 59 Old 11-12-2018, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I ran all of the speaker cables this weekend for the fronts, 2 atmos speakers, and 2 rear surround in wall speakers. Luckily I was able to run two conduits for the front speakers and subs relatively easily given the short run............the hdmi conduit was another story trying to navigate the floor joists however it worked out in the end.

I'll post some progress pics tonight......next step is plugging up any holes and installing the safe n sound before Wed when the drywall goes up!
post #35 of 59 Old 11-12-2018, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All - I bought 9 bags of safe n sound to do the 4 walls of the theater (the contractors did the ceiling earlier today). Is it a waste of material to put safe and sound on the two exterior walls where there is already pink fiberglass with a vapour barrier?

If it will likely have little to no effect perhaps I can put the additional safe and sound in the other basement rooms outside of the theater. Thanks
post #36 of 59 Old 11-12-2018, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:

lol count me in as well !!

Not too often do we see build threads in Canada - not to mention within driving distance.

I grew up in Oakville and now live in Waterdown.

Good luck with the build OP !!!
post #37 of 59 Old 11-13-2018, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchabby View Post

Not too often do we see build threads in Canada - not to mention within driving distance.

thanks dchabby - I cant wait until the shell of the room is finished so I can get started on the fun stuff......figuring our what projector / screen to get, how to build the frame for the AT screen, deciding on the front riser, etc, etc, etc. I want to go with a very clean look which provides as little distraction as possible however think that's easier said than done!
post #38 of 59 Old 11-14-2018, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:

No doubt eh? Given how much extra $$$ it costs us canucks to do the same builds as our buddies in the USA... I am always super excited to see another Canadian based thread!

Oakville to Waterdown? not too shabby, I grew up in Victoria, and live in Cottage Country now (just north of Barrie, ON)
post #39 of 59 Old 11-15-2018, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Safe and sound is in - minus an area at the front left. I can seal that up from the other side as thats the furnace room and will be unfinished.
The drywall is due to go in today/tomorrow, cant wait to see how the room takes shape.
I have been scrolling through the "show us your screen walls" thread the last few days to get some ideas about risers and how to design that area.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insu3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2483066   Click image for larger version

Name:	insu2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	2483068   Click image for larger version

Name:	insu.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	2483070  
OJ Bartley likes this.
post #40 of 59 Old 11-15-2018, 06:13 AM

Did you put R-15 (or better) on the exterior wall?
Safe and sound is for interior walls and don't forget the vapor barrier.

Keep up the good work!

Phil.

post #41 of 59 Old 11-15-2018, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philly_03 View Post
Did you put R-15 (or better) on the exterior wall?
Safe and sound is for interior walls and don't forget the vapor barrier.

Keep up the good work!

Phil.

Yes - There is existing pink insulation on the exterior walls with a vapour barrier. Not sure if the safe and sound will do much in terms of sound dampening on the exterior walls but figured I may as well cover them just in case
post #42 of 59 Old 11-15-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Yes - There is existing pink insulation on the exterior walls with a vapour barrier. Not sure if the safe and sound will do much in terms of sound dampening on the exterior walls but figured I may as well cover them just in case
It should, certainly can't hurt! You are good to go.

Phil.

post #43 of 59 Old 11-15-2018, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Quote:

Another Canuck here from Edmonton:-).

Build Thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...m-wet-bar.html
Theatre Room: Samsung UN55KU7000F | Pioneer SP-FS52 x 2 | Polk MC80 x 2
Epson 5040UB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
post #44 of 59 Old 11-20-2018, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Finally the drywall is progressing! Essentially it's done minus a few touch ups. I think I may buy some green glue tubes tonight to seal up some of the seams on the ceiling.

The area at the front of the room, in the nook where the front stage / screen will go is 10ft 6in, and from the floor to the bulk head at the upper left its 83.5 inches. From my initial thoughts I should be able to get a 128 or 130 inch 16:9 screen in there with a bit of room left over on each side for some velvet panels as well as a 6 inch stage (still have to figure out the design).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181119_194203.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2485210   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181119_194224.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2485212  
Oklahomie likes this.

Last edited by Gazzer55; 11-20-2018 at 06:52 AM.
post #45 of 59 Old 11-28-2018, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quick question - I am likely going to build a front stage which compromised only one step / platform with 2x8's. Having two steps would look way nicer from rooms i've seen but I dont have the ceiling height. I am going to do a simple design with an arc / rounded front. Does anyone have any plans that I could follow to build it? What wood do you use for the front which is able to curve and how do you attach it to the 2x8's so everything is solid?

Also if my speakers / subs are going on top as well as having a goal post set up with my screen attached, do I have to fill the stage with sand to really secure it and prevent it from rumbling with the bass?
post #46 of 59 Old 11-28-2018, 03:21 PM
RETIRED theater builder

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6696 Post(s)
Liked: 6580
start with a rectangle. then add pieces to the front to create a curve. Two layers of overlapped 3/8 plywood is what I like to use for the rounded segment. Use liquid nails between layers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1471.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	2488658   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3280.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	2488660  

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 11-28-2018 at 03:25 PM.
post #47 of 59 Old 11-29-2018, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
start with a rectangle. then add pieces to the front to create a curve. Two layers of overlapped 3/8 plywood is what I like to use for the rounded segment. Use liquid nails between layers.
Thanks for the note!
Should I build the stage with plywood on the top and the bottom to create a box or would putting the 2x8 or 2x6's directly onto roofers felt with plywood on top be sufficient? Would you absolutely recommend putting sand in the cavities (using some kind of plastic to line each section) as I want to try and reduce the vibrations of the stage given the kitchen is right above?
post #48 of 59 Old 11-29-2018, 01:24 PM
RETIRED theater builder

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6696 Post(s)
Liked: 6580
If you are building in the basement I build using roofing felt under the framing and then either 2 layers of 3/4 material or 3 layers of 5/8 for the top. Nothing on the bottom.

Sand versus no sand is a topic of debate. There was an attempt to measure the difference which did not produce any clear evidence of the benefit. Have stomped on many stages over the last 10 years I can tell you that if I build another personal theater, if the floor can hold the weight it will have sand. In the picture the pink insulation was a first floor theater over a garage. A compromise would be to put sand just under any subwoofers. You can also place all the speakers on thick rubber pads.
post #49 of 59 Old 11-30-2018, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you are building in the basement I build using roofing felt under the framing and then either 2 layers of 3/4 material or 3 layers of 5/8 for the top. Nothing on the bottom.

Sand versus no sand is a topic of debate. There was an attempt to measure the difference which did not produce any clear evidence of the benefit. Have stomped on many stages over the last 10 years I can tell you that if I build another personal theater, if the floor can hold the weight it will have sand. In the picture the pink insulation was a first floor theater over a garage. A compromise would be to put sand just under any subwoofers. You can also place all the speakers on thick rubber pads.
Thanks for the note, given this is in the basement I will aim to fill the stage with sand given its on concrete slab.

The other thing i'm trying to wrap my head around is building the screen wall. I am likely going to build screen frame myself to wrap with fabric/screen material (still TBD as to what fabric to use). I was looking at some of your builds and I am assuming that a goal post set up would be best and then to use hinges to attach the frame to the posts. Do you have any recommendation on what wood to use for the posts and how to attach them to the stage to ensure everything is straight / sturdy? After the fact I plan to wrap some thin mdf panels with velvet to close in the screen. Thanks for the help here!
post #50 of 59 Old 12-06-2018, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quick question - I have a double door in the back left side of the theater (not installed yet) which I know isnt ideal for soundproofing. I also have a door at the top of the stairs leading to the main floor and a lot of sound gets through the door. It isn't a solid door however I was going to try to install some kind of acoustic seal around the door and the double doors to see if it helps. Are there any relatively cost effective measures / products I could use. I was thinking about installing a solid core door however first ant to try this and then potentially see if I can stuff some safe n sound in the door from the top if I cur a hole.

Thanks!
post #51 of 59 Old 12-13-2018, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to share an update on the progress thus far! There were some delays with the basement as the contractors were doing some work on the main floor in parallel.

I went with a flat slate grey colour for the walls and the blackest tint flat ceiling paint benjamin moore makes, I cant remember the tint code but the end was 12x to signal 12 times black.

I picked up the projector, Epson 5040UB on the weekend, waiting on my receiver to get shipped which should be today. Next step I have to draw up the plan for the front stage and make a HD run to get everything. I am planning on building a frame out of 2x2's and 2x1's for a 130 inch 16:9 screen and will try to see if I can find suitable spandex for the material. If it doesn't work out I figure I can always change it later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181212_191351.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	679.5 KB
ID:	2496240   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181212_191317.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	696.7 KB
ID:	2496242  
post #52 of 59 Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just a quick question on the sand again as I am likely going to get getting all of my materials soon. Would simply putting bags of sand in the cavities under where the subs will go have any decent impact? I am a bit hesitant to put open sand just in case of any moisture issues, or if I ever have to remove the same for whatever reason.
post #53 of 59 Old 01-01-2019, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter

Finally the room is coming together as I was able to build the stage, goal posts, and the spandex screen over the last week or so. I have attached some pics so for, next step is to get carpet on the stage, build a stand for center channel and panels for the top/sides/bottom of the screen to close it in. I watched my first 4k blueray, Infinity War and the contrast of the Epson 5040ub was awesome, slightly dim even with the brightest HDR setting however still watchable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181223_192211.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	625.7 KB
ID:	2504048   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181223-WA0013.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	2504050   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20181223-WA0011.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2504052   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181224_173335.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	631.8 KB
ID:	2504054   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181227_190500.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	2504056  

Name:	thumbnail.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	2504058  
post #54 of 59 Old 01-01-2019, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Looking great! Like the wall colour.

What will trim the gaps between the screen and the sides, too and bottom?

Build Thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...m-wet-bar.html
Theatre Room: Samsung UN55KU7000F | Pioneer SP-FS52 x 2 | Polk MC80 x 2
Epson 5040UB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
post #55 of 59 Old 01-01-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanttom View Post
Looking great! Like the wall colour.
What will trim the gaps between the screen and the sides, too and bottom?
Thanks!!! The stage was a lot of work given the strange shape of that are however once it's carpeted and finished I think it will be worth it! The colour for the walls was charcoal slate.

Not too sure what people typically use, I may make some frames and then wrap them in speaker cloth or black spandex to make sure they stay acoustically transparent......fir now i'm happy I can atleast watch content on the projector. When the lights are off it looks great!
post #56 of 59 Old 01-21-2019, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

So after some time of limited progress I finally started on the remaining tasks of carpeting the stage (got lucky with a $50 roll from end of the roll which was the perfect size), and started building the frames for around the screen. I ended up using 1x2's and wrapped them in the same black spandex I used for the first layer on my spandex screen. I need to finish the top portion up tonight so I can get the screen back on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	thea.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	2513892  
post #57 of 59 Old 02-06-2019, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

The screen has finally been completed! Installing the panels around the screen really helps the overall look although they cant really be seen in the picture. Now I have to figure out what to do with the floor in front of the screen / add acoustic panels on the side wall and behind the screen to help with the sound.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tttt.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	2521206  
pjp, mlee1 and NotShorty like this.
post #58 of 59 Old 02-21-2019, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Gazzer... Hows the progress coming?

Thee Rock n' Roll Theatre-coming soon.
post #59 of 59 Old 02-25-2019, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
Gazzer... Hows the progress coming?
Not too much more form the last picture....... I am testing some different speakers right now for the front LCR (I think I will likely go with the the KEF Q350s and Q650 for center channel, also have the ELAC 2.0s which i'm testing in parallel. I also sold my PB-1000 and got a used PB-13 Ultra which is a beast!!!!

In parallel with the speakers I am going to get some acoustic panels over the next week or so.....trying to figure out what I should do as an initial step (how many panels, placement etc). Aside from that I dont like the rug at the front and how it doesnt go flush to the stage so I may either cut it or get a carpet installer in

Next big step is going to be to build the bar counter behind the couch and the wet bar on the back wall......it never ends!

Last edited by Gazzer55; 02-26-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page