• 1 Post By brazensol
  • 1 Post By OJ Bartley

post #1 of 6 Old 10-29-2018, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Recessed lighting options

I'm looking to hire out the installation of recessed lighting in my 19 X 23 HT room and am looking for options on controlling the lights. I seem to recall in my HT internet travels someone who was controlling their lights (LED) via a tablet/smartphone and was also able to change the light color. Can someone in the know about this point me in the right direction to a website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-30-2018, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Recessed lighting options

Globe electric 4” recessed swivel can lights with Phillips hue color bulbs. Smart phone / tablet controlled, millions of color options. Hue lights are $$$, but worth it IMO.

Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-30-2018, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 548
I use an Echo Dot and Lutron Caseta smart switches to voice control my LED lights. They don't change colors though.
luisev likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-30-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 574
I also chose to go with Caseta dimmers (for the pot lights) and switches (on/off for my other RGB LED strips and maybe screen wash pots). The regular pots are just 3000k dimmable pots, but will be able to be controlled from the wall dimmer switch, the Lutron app, or by using Alexa.

The LED strip in the soffit will be on a switched outlet controlled by a Caseta switch (not dimmer). They have their own wifi/IR control, so once they are turned on - either by using the switch or by voice command using Alexa - they can be changed or modes activated by its own app or remote.

I am also planning to have a row of RGB LED pot lights for a screen wash, stolen directly from The Movie House build by @cbromley - details of the ones he used are on the 2nd page, and he was good enough to explain exactly what he wanted and why he used the ones he did. Hint: the memory function allows them to retain the "last used" setting when you power them off with a seperate wall switch.

It is my understanding that I'll be able to set a scene using Alexa so I can say "Alexa, turn on Movie Time" (or something) and have the 2 dimmers go to a preset level for the pots, and turn on both the RGB LED strips and the RGB pot lights, both to the last used setting. Then when I want to change those, I use their dedicated IR remotes or the app for the strip lights.

Clear as mud?
tnycman likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-19-2019, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post
Globe electric 4” recessed swivel can lights with Phillips hue color bulbs. Smart phone / tablet controlled, millions of color options. Hue lights are $$$, but worth it IMO.

Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
which can and which bulb, sounds good
post #6 of 6 Old 08-20-2019, 04:38 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5739 Post(s)
Liked: 5300
these cans: https://www.amazon.com/Globe-Electri...33822306&psc=1

As for bulbs you want MR16 with GU10 bases. If you are not using the HUEs look for ones that are rated for dimming. 3000K color temp resembles halogen, 5000K is whiter. Choosing a particular color temp bulb is somewhat related to your color scheme and personnel preference. Whiter bulbs look better with blues and greys. 3000K with earth tones. The landscape for LED bulbs shifts rapidly. Many specific bulbs I've used in the past are no longer available. You have to order some and test to be sure they dim properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page