46K views 65 replies 30 participants last post by  richardsim7 
#1 · (Edited)
Mini 7.2.4 Home Cinema (smallest ever?) - Updated to v1.1

Mini 7.2.4 Home Cinema (smallest ever?)​​

The Mini Cinema has received a few updates to bring it to v1.1
:)

First, some pictures:

Higher quality ones available here on Flickr

I should note that the room in real life is a lot darker than this, but if I shot it how it actually looks, you wouldn't be able to see anything
:p

So, the changes...

1) I changed the rear surrounds from XTZ S2s to S5s, so now all the surrounds are the same. The "tripole" effect of the S5s gives a larger soundstage behind me, making the speaker location less obvious

2) The TV has been brought forward slightly so it's flush with the front of the speakers. This has allowed the bias light to diffuse a bit more, has mostly hidden the trunking to the L/R speakers, and has slightly increased the perceived image size
:D (I think it's about 1.4m (4'7") from eyes to screen now).
I should also note that although the bias lights still turn on/off automatically, I now leave them on during playback, but can turn them off with one button if I want that pure darkness
:cool:

3) Probably the biggest (yet completely hidden) change is the addition of a "BOSS Platform". This might replace the Buttkicker LFEs, or compliment them, I'm undecided on that yet. But the hype is certainly real! When testing its limits, I managed to get to the point where my vision had become blurred and I was struggling to get the mouse back to where it needed to be to turn it back down!
:eek:

Here's a photo of the underside:

It looks intimidating but it's very simple to build and setup
👍🏻

4) I've swapped out the MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced for a MiniDSP 2x4HD, for various frivolous reasons

5) I've moved the HTPC into a different case (Fractal Define Mini C) which is now located next to the rack instead

6) I changed the Buttkicker BKA1000-N amp to a Behringer NX3000D as I needed an extra channel for the BOSS Platform

7) And most importantly, I changed the insides of the cushions from the crap ones they came with
😅

The only thing left to add is acoustic treatments... someday...
🙄

Original post here:

So I'm thinking I may have built the smallest ever "full Atmos" setup, at just 3.3*2.5m (10.8*8.2ft) 😁
- the room is approx 600ft³

Here's a 3D mockup. My goal was to have a dedicated room with a layout as close as possible to Dolby guidelines, and I pretty much nailed it (to the mm 😋
)

And here's the final result:

Uncompressed images available here

TV: LG OLED 65" B7 (1.5m [4.9ft] from eyes to screen!)
HTPC: i5-6600K, 8GB DDR4, GTX1070, 2x 256GB SSD, GA-Z170X-Gaming7, Silverstone GD09, Noctua fans

Speakers
LCR: XTZ Cinema M6
Side Surrounds: XTZ Cinema S5
Rear Surrounds + Atmos: XTZ Cinema S2
Subs: 2x DIY 15" 'Fi Audio SP415' sealed down-firing cubes
Other: 2x Buttkicker LFE

Amps
AVR: NAD T758v3 (with Dirac Live)
Power Amp: Arcam P-1000 (powering LCR + Atmos)
Sub amps: 2x Citronic PLX3600 (dual 2ohm)
Other: Buttkicker BKA1000-N

Bass management is handled by a MiniDSP 2x4, with a chunky house curve applied to the Buttkickers - which are located in the sofa, one inside each armrest, which was serendipitous that they fit there 😁
- I suppose it's 7.4.4 if you include them in the sub count
😉

I got sick of putting discs in/loading times/menus etc so I ripped all of my DVDs/Blu-Rays to my NAS, which I play back locally on the HTPC using Kodi DSPlayer (which supports madVR + LAV filters)

The Bias Lighting is the MediaLight Quad
Funnily enough, whilst Bias Lighting was great with my old Plasma setup, I actually perfer it off when viewing my OLED, as there's nothing quite like having the room plunge into absolute darkness. And I don't appear to suffer from eye strain without it.
So what I've done instead is to have them automatically turn on/off when media is playing, paused, etc using a WiFi LED controller + some scripting

Wallpaper is from here

The paint was a custom mix, for which I got the info from here - the aim was to get a neutral grey as not to alter colour perception

This is only Phase 1 of my project - I plan on adding room treatment in Phase 2

See less See more
#6 ·
WOW, awesome room, man !!

This should be a cool room both audio and video :)

Nice look
Awesome gear
Buttkickers
Full Atmos
FI Audio’s

APPROVED ;)

#7 ·
Yeah, totally agree with the others, awesome use of a (very) small space! And it really shows that you can have a home theater in almost any room. I always say to friends and colleagues when they have a spare room they don’t know what to do with, “build a home theater”! Now I can show them yours and say anything is possible :D

#9 ·
You're killing me over here! ;)

Mini 7.2.4 Home Cinema (smallest ever?)​​

wthread.php?tid=223175"]Kodi DSPlayer[/URL] (which supports madVR + LAV filters)

The Bias Lighting is the MediaLight Quad
Funnily enough, whilst Bias Lighting was great with my old Plasma setup, I actually perfer it off when viewing my OLED, as there's nothing quite like having the room plunge into absolute darkness. And I don't appear to suffer from eye strain without it.
So what I've done instead is to have them automatically turn on/off when media is playing, paused, etc using a WiFi LED controller + some scripting

#11 ·
Love it!

I think you nailed the 45° Atmos setup!
The viewing distance is perfect too, 1:1 display width to viewing distance ratio.
With Dual 3500w RMS 15" sub and proper calibration, the tactile feeling must be explosive especially in such close proximity. Why do you need the butt kicker or what butt kicker brings to the table here?
And curious why you install the butt kicker to the side arm of the love seat?

Congrats to your Home Cinema! Enjoy it.

#12 ·
Thank you :)

Yes the dual subs shake the sofa a lot by themselves. The buttkicker was in my old setup in my living room (which is a lot bigger, and I had smaller subs, so the effect of the buttkicker was more prominent) and it was mounted directly beneath my MLP.

I bought a 2nd one to add, but never got round to it. So when I got my chance to build this room I took full advantage of the dual buttkickers, and bolted them to the inside of the sofa because a direct connection allows for higher tactile response, and it hides them. I put one in each arm for balance, so the whole sofa shakes, not just under the MLP (that's the reason I bought the 2nd one as I felt it was too localised before - also having two running gives them more headroom, haven't managed to bottom them out...yet!)

The buttkicker helps with tactile response in general, especially low down (sub 20Hz)

#15 ·
Lovely room. Great job! Your room is even smaller than my last HT which I called 'The Hobbit Theater'. I was about 10.5 x 10.5 ft square but in it I managed a full 7.2.4 setup similar to yours. I also managed to squeeze in a short throw PJ so I had in effect a huge screen given that my seating distance was, by force, quite close.

Our results show that even the smallest of rooms can make for a fantastic HT experience, with some forward planning and the right will and determination. It took me many iterations to get The Hobbit Theater just right, but all of the experience gained was invaluable and went eventually into my purpose-designed room following a house move (partially instigated by my desire for a bigger HT). Anyone interested can see my new room (The Cowshed Theater - so called as it is housed in an old cow shed on my property) by following the link in my sig below.

So congrats on a super job. I bet you have countless hours of enjoyment in there!

#17 · (Edited)
So congrats on a super job. I bet you have countless hours of enjoyment in there!
Thanks, and yeah, when I'm not falling asleep, that is! (sooo comfy) :p

Incidentally, don't take this as a criticism since I am firmly of the view you have done an amazing job, but have you considered adding any acoustic treatments. To my mind, the back wall screams out for some, as does the ceiling ahead of the TF Atmos pair. Some corner bass trapping could be accommodated too I feel. Given that the room is the single most important component in any sound system, I am confident it would raise the bar even further for you. The treatments would also enable Dirac to work even better for you than I expect it is at the moment. In my Hobbit room I had something like 20 or more panels including along part of all 4 wall-ceiling corners. The difference they made, for a relatively trifling cost was substantial. Just a thought.
Yup, like I said at the end of my post: This is only Phase 1 of my project - I plan on adding room treatment in Phase 2 :)

#16 ·
Incidentally, don't take this as a criticism since I am firmly of the view you have done an amazing job, but have you considered adding any acoustic treatments. To my mind, the back wall screams out for some, as does the ceiling ahead of the TF Atmos pair. Some corner bass trapping could be accommodated too I feel. Given that the room is the single most important component in any sound system, I am confident it would raise the bar even further for you. The treatments would also enable Dirac to work even better for you than I expect it is at the moment. In my Hobbit room I had something like 20 or more panels including along part of all 4 wall-ceiling corners. The difference they made, for a relatively trifling cost was substantial. Just a thought.

#18 ·
That room is great.

Love that you used Arcam in there, underutilized from what I've seen. great work, I can't wait to hear how phase 2 goes.

Aaron

Reactions: richardsim7
#25 ·
Haha, flat to 4 !! Hz !! That is mindboggling good. Very nicely done, sir :)

#23 ·
Nice setup.

Add another 4 speakers and you can steal my crown for the smallest 9.1.6 HT here on AVS. ;)

#26 ·
WOW! I noticed the link in your signature and I was curious... wasn't expecting such a class act. Hats off to you, really.

#28 ·
Hey Richard i heard you changed the isolators on your BK setup? Do you like them ?

#30 ·
Nice :)

Yeah going from the hard BK ones, i can fully understand you noticed a improvement ;)

I use those too now, and noted a improvement on both the MA’s and BK’s.

#32 ·
Couldn't pass up the opportunity to check out your build from you signature from a post of mine you replied to.

Totally awesome build! Sub response is 'off the chart'! If I were to say I'm jealous, that'd be an understatement.

I notice also you're using BK LFE's in your couch. Currently I use 2 of the Aura shakers. They work good, but I know it can better. How much effort was it to get your BK's in the arm rest of the couch? Any tips so when I make the move I can follow the footsteps?

Kevin.

#33 ·
#34 ·
Awesome home cinema!!

Hey Richard,

That is some serious home cinema in such a small space. I envy you.. Your theater is gonna be my reference for my build.
I have the exact room dimensions as yours. Never occurred to me that I can set up a theater in that space... I just joined this forum to reply :D

Regards,
Dinesh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.