154Likes

post #1 of 160 Old 12-13-2018, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1894 Post(s)
Liked: 2308
The Gym, Unleashed

Fresh off the heels of The Beast, Unleashed home cinema completion, the next project has begun: A Dolby Atmos Gym!

Notional Diagram:

This has been planned since early 2018, and the build has officially begun.

BACKGROUND:

First, I’m a serious weight lifter and I long to replicate, to some degree, the experience I enjoy in The Beast, Unleashed theater while I workout. I workout every single morning, which means the gym gets far more use than the theater, so why not merge the two hobbies....especially when we’re talking minimal cost.

The room will not be soundproofed. While I do plan on using some Roxul products to mitigate sound transmission, this will not be a soundproofed project. The gym is located in a section toward the front of the house where, even now with some moderately potent speakers, not a lot of sounds gets upstairs (i workout at 2:30am when everyone is sleeping).

THE GEAR:

I have 13 unopened Sonance in-wall/in-ceiling speakers that I’ve been sitting on for years. These will provide the audio—including the Atmos bubble, thanks to amiable tweeters.

I also have an Infinity PS-12 Subwoofer that will be handling some of the LFE.....

But this is a BrolicBeast build.....one sub just isn’t enough (more on this in the coming weeks).

Receiver is TBD. Any suggestions?

Flat Panel: TBD. I’ve been in the projector world for so long, I haven’t been paying attention to flat panels. What’s hot right now??? The gym encompasses two rooms—the room in the pic below is for weight training, and the adjacent room is for cardio. I”ll need one flat panel per room.

Dimensions:

Weight room: 11’x19’x8’ (excluding bathroom as part of room length)

Cardio room: 15’X10.5’x8’ (except for a large HVAC soffit—no impact to cardio equipment)

Now, for the fun part: the pics:

The framed space:

The future cardio room:

Rack currently on order:

Me getting ready to put in work in the room prior to framing:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by BrolicBeast; 12-13-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 160 Old 12-13-2018, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 170
230 am? My only suggestion is getting more sleep . The only exercise I get at that time is lugging a crying 16 pound baby up the stairs. Can’t wait to see the build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #3 of 160 Old 12-13-2018, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwthacker View Post
230 am? My only suggestion is getting more sleep . The only exercise I get at that time is lugging a crying 16 pound baby up the stairs. Can’t wait to see the build!

Man, I’m in bed by 8pm. It’s the only way to get enough sleep and still get a serious workout in before work. hahah we have a 16lb baby too...3 months old with a healthy appetite....and she’s starting to sleep a lot better than months 1 and 2!

Some good things coming (with the help of this mighty AVS community). Just added a notional diagram to the first post. This is mostly leveraging equipment i already have, but I will need to producer at least 2 more subwoofers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 160 Old 12-13-2018, 06:07 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6016 Post(s)
Liked: 5596
great to see this project underway.
BrolicBeast and avtvhdbass like this.
post #5 of 160 Old 12-13-2018, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
great to see this project underway.

It’s been on my mind for a longgg time. It’s come such a long way from when we used to cut wood, store insulation, and step over debris in there while building The Beast.

BIGmouthinDC likes this.
post #6 of 160 Old 12-13-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Looking forward to this! Here's what I did. Maybe it will give you a little inspiration. Not Dolby Atmos though; just four Polk Audio RC80i 2-way. Sound is pretty good and I need to hook up my 10" Outlaw Audio sub. I don't know what I was thinking but I didn't use clips and channel or build backer boxes for the speakers so you can hear it in the living room above. I keep thinking about a redo on the ceiling but not sure I want to tackle it or not with the huge amount of remodeling I have to do to the rest of the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1797.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	550.8 KB
ID:	2496294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1796.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	562.1 KB
ID:	2496296  

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #7 of 160 Old 12-13-2018, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Looking forward to this! Here's what I did. Maybe it will give you a little inspiration. Not Dolby Atmos though; just four Polk Audio RC80i 2-way. Sound is pretty good and I need to hook up my 10" Outlaw Audio sub. I don't know what I was thinking but I didn't use clips and channel or build backer boxes for the speakers so you can hear it in the living room above. I keep thinking about a redo on the ceiling but not sure I want to tackle it or not with the huge amount of remodeling I have to do to the rest of the house.

Dude, that’s a great aesthetic design. I LOVE that stone look along with the drywall. I may actually use that idea for the wall with the electrical panel (will be hanging either a large computer monitor or black glass dry erase board in front of the panels themselves). How did you do your ceiling? I’d like that exact type of ceiling. Inspirational for sure!

brazensol likes this.
post #8 of 160 Old 12-13-2018, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Dude, that’s a great aesthetic design. I LOVE that stone look along with the drywall. I may actually use that idea for the wall with the electrical panel (will be hanging either a large computer monitor or black glass dry erase board in front of the panels themselves). How did you do your ceiling? I’d like that exact type of ceiling. Inspirational for sure!

Thanks! For the ceiling I put up 5/8" drywall and just taped the seams and smoothed them out (as in knocked off any high spots). I used 4 x 8 foot embossed (wood plank look) panel sheets from Lowe's and painted them light gray and then took a large sponge, "painted" it with a brush in a darker color, so it was wettish but not dripping, and then dragged it along the panel catching just the high points on the panel. Kind of like dry sponge painting. When I did mine neither Lowe's nor Home Depot had a large variety of paneling to choose from but now they have panels that I could have just bought and put right up because they are already finished (and in several styles to boot). Your store probably has even more options than I have here.
BrolicBeast likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #9 of 160 Old 12-14-2018, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks! For the ceiling I put up 5/8" drywall and just taped the seams and smoothed them out (as in knocked off any high spots). I used 4 x 8 foot embossed (wood plank look) panel sheets from Lowe's and painted them light gray and then took a large sponge, "painted" it with a brush in a darker color, so it was wettish but not dripping, and then dragged it along the panel catching just the high points on the panel. Kind of like dry sponge painting. When I did mine neither Lowe's nor Home Depot had a large variety of paneling to choose from but now they have panels that I could have just bought and put right up because they are already finished (and in several styles to boot). Your store probably has even more options than I have here.

I”m definitely going to try that! Thank you!

post #10 of 160 Old 12-14-2018, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Does anyone know what the best new construction recessed lighting cans and bulbs are? I need them to be super bright, but still dimmable (Insteon switch already on the way—the same type I used for the theater). I’ll be doing around 7-8 cans, total.

Also, any recommendations for In-ceiling weather resistant speakers? I’m looking to install a couple of those speakers in the bathroom. Amazon has a few, but if there are any from some known companies, I’d happily consider them.

post #11 of 160 Old 12-28-2018, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Gym, Unleashed

HAve some updated renders of just the gym portion. I’m playing around with equipment positioning since that directly impacts speaker and display placement. The biggest change is that I’m knocking down the wall between the two gym areas, which is good from a usage standpoint, but now means i get to get more subs :-)

BllDo, bubbrik and Oklahomie like this.
post #12 of 160 Old 12-28-2018, 11:08 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

from memory that may be a load bearing wall. maybe not, you should check.
post #13 of 160 Old 12-28-2018, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
from memory that may be a load bearing wall. maybe not, you should check.

There’s an i-beam that runs along the length of the wall. Thought the stud wall was there for cosmetic reasons outside of the section that supports the stairs.

Hmmm....Should I check anyway? Or do i-beams generally hold all the load? Trying to avoid getting a structural engineer involved, but if I need to, I definitely will.

post #14 of 160 Old 12-28-2018, 12:31 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

if the wall is under the beam it is not load bearing
post #15 of 160 Old 01-01-2019, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 286
this gym is going to rock. Your right- same here- the home gym gets used much more than the home theater. Sorinex has great stuff. I went with Legend fitness, Hammer strength mostly. I see you are using the iron master dumbbells. Big fan of those ,love them.
Also like the dead-lift platform your going to install. While I did install an Atoms setup too, and did a separate zone in the smaller section of my gym, I usually just listen to music in both zones. I'm sure you'll take up a notch or two with your setup. Gotta have good tunes while working out. Looking forward to see how it all turns out.

might have posted before but a few pics so add to the thread. Need to take some updated ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_03344 copy.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	2503948   Click image for larger version

Name:	1b.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	2503952  

Last edited by thetman; 01-01-2019 at 02:35 PM.
post #16 of 160 Old 01-01-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
awesome setup. love the stone wall too.
brazensol likes this.
post #17 of 160 Old 01-02-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
this gym is going to rock. Your right- same here- the home gym gets used much more than the home theater. Sorinex has great stuff. I went with Legend fitness, Hammer strength mostly. I see you are using the iron master dumbbells. Big fan of those ,love them.

Also like the dead-lift platform your going to install. While I did install an Atoms setup too, and did a separate zone in the smaller section of my gym, I usually just listen to music in both zones. I'm sure you'll take up a notch or two with your setup. Gotta have good tunes while working out. Looking forward to see how it all turns out.

might have posted before but a few pics so add to the thread. Need to take some updated ones.

Gosh I love your gym!!! Equipment is epic! Where did you get your bar storage? It looks different (custom color backing). I’d like to order it in yellow. I looked hard at Legend, Hammer Strength, Rogue—Legend had a great reputation on the lifting forums. Definitely a cut above the likes of Rogue (which is also good, but not Legendary (see what I did there? Lol).

I definitely think most of my use will be listening to upmixed Atmos music, but once the lights dim (probably during Cardio), i might throw on a movie if I have a long session ahead of me.

Please take and post updated pics!

BTW— @brazensol - what was the source of your stone wall backing? I plan to get the same thing in a dark gray. Already your back wall and ceiling have inspired me, and I’m snagging @thetman ‘s barbell gun-rack.

brazensol likes this.
post #18 of 160 Old 01-02-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Gym, Unleashed

Tore down the wall between the areas. The primary section with the power rack and the secondary section will each have their own atmos setup, fed by the same signal. I can have both rooms running, or one at a time.

Now, I have a dilemma....

You’ll see the bottom plates from the original wall are still in place....I need to cut the bottom plates so they’re flush with the new stud wall endpoints on either side of the “new” wide open section....but how do i secure the section under the studs to the concrete? Do i need to if the studs are secured tightly to the top plate?

Any suggestions?

post #19 of 160 Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The stuff I used is Airstone and I got it at Lowe's but they no longer carry it (at least at my store). I also wanted grey but did not want to wait for delivery. Lowe's has replaced it with a new stone (Litestone) that comes in a lighter grey. If you want dark grey you'll probably have to find another source. Just google stone veneer and I'm sure you'll find what your looking for.

Denali Cinema
post #20 of 160 Old 01-02-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tore down the wall between the areas. The primary section with the power rack and the secondary section will each have their own atmos setup, fed by the same signal. I can have both rooms running, or one at a time.

Now, I have a dilemma....

You’ll see the bottom plates from the original wall are still in place....I need to cut the bottom plates so they’re flush with the new stud wall endpoints on either side of the “new” wide open section....but how do i secure the section under the studs to the concrete? Do i need to if the studs are secured tightly to the top plate?

Any suggestions?

You could use a powder actuated device or if you have a rotary hammer drill (regular drill would work if you're only doing a few) you could use concrete anchors like Tapcons.

Denali Cinema
post #21 of 160 Old 01-02-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gosh I love your gym!!! Equipment is epic! Where did you get your bar storage? It looks different (custom color backing). I’d like to order it in yellow. I looked hard at Legend, Hammer Strength, Rogue—Legend had a great reputation on the lifting forums. Definitely a cut above the likes of Rogue (which is also good, but not Legendary (see what I did there? Lol).

I definitely think most of my use will be listening to upmixed Atmos music, but once the lights dim (probably during Cardio), i might throw on a movie if I have a long session ahead of me.

Please take and post updated pics!

BTW— @brazensol - what was the source of your stone wall backing? I plan to get the same thing in a dark gray. Already your back wall and ceiling have inspired me, and I’m snagging @thetman ‘s barbell gun-rack.

thanks. I got my barbell gun rack from MDUSA. although tier website stills seems up I thought they went out of business, so not sure whats going on. I'm sure you know but all the ones I see are usually all black. might have to do a custom paint job. another fun project for you!
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #22 of 160 Old 01-02-2019, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 32
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hilti-DX...4262/206140962

Buy one of these. Super fun to use. Your welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #23 of 160 Old 01-02-2019, 07:22 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

save your money and just bang a few masonry nails into the top 1/2 inch of the slab. You don't need to secure the bottom plate to the slab, gravity will pretty much do that, What you want are some spikes into the concrete to keep the wall from slipping in or out. The nails act like football cleats. Make sure you have a framing hammer or heavier and eye protection.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grip-Rit...-100128639-_-N
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #24 of 160 Old 01-03-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 775
Quote:
save your money and just bang a few masonry nails into the top 1/2 inch of the slab. You don't need to secure the bottom plate to the slab, gravity will pretty much do that, What you want are some spikes into the concrete to keep the wall from slipping in or out. The nails act like football cleats. Make sure you have a framing hammer or heavier and eye protection.

I think he's got that covered

BrolicBeast likes this.
post #25 of 160 Old 01-04-2019, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, Jeff! I’ll do exactly that—will pick those up today!

Quote:
[img][/img]
BOOOOM!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post

HAHAHAHAAH THESE WILL DRIVE THE NAILS TO THE EARTH’S CORE!

post #26 of 160 Old 01-09-2019, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 201
This will be a fun thread. I've missed the Beast mode construction thread since the theater wrapped up. Just what I need to give me closure at your house lol...
BrolicBeast likes this.

Roll Tide.
post #27 of 160 Old 01-09-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post

Framing hammer? Looks more like Thor’s hammer!

post #28 of 160 Old 01-30-2019, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Lighting cans and outlets are in for the long section of the gym! What do you guys think: daylight bulb or warm light? Wall colors will be darkish gray--flooring will be hardwood.

Now it's time to start wiring for Atmos! Oh I can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #29 of 160 Old 02-02-2019, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I would go daylight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrolicBeast likes this.
post #30 of 160 Old 02-10-2019, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just moved the pesky low hanging sprinkler pipe into the soffit. Now, insulation and drywall!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
p3bham likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page