Three Dane Theater & Blue Line Bar - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #121 of 134 Old 12-02-2019, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxchaser View Post
The AV's aren't doing badly this season at all & far from Washington, lol.
Thank you Sir! You have an exciting and young team in the AV's. Makar looks to be an absolute stud for their blueline. I am also glad to see Burakovsky doing well with your team. Loved the guy in Washington but just wasn't enough room for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 134 Old 12-02-2019, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Looks great!! I know I originally posted a question towards the beginning of the thread in regards to your side surrounds and how they'll interact with the two rows of seats. Have you had time to test the results from both rows in regards to the placement?

5.1 Setup || Marantz SR-7012 & MM-7025 | Paradigm Prestige Series - 95Fs, 55C, 15Bs | Dynamo 700W | Sony XBR-65A1E | Panasonic UB-9000
Apple TV 4K | Amazon Fire TV | Furman Elite 15-PFi | Logitech Harmony Elite | Samsung Smart Things Hub | Amazon Alexa Integration
post #123 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
The room is looking phenomenal @beerhound34 . Congrats. I am very much looking forward to the day that I can say the same.

Would love to hear your thoughts so far on the BenQ 3550? Up until yesterday I was only considering the 5050UB and the 295ES. However, I watched Scottyroo's shootout on the HT5550 vs. 5050UB (and 3-4 other videos) and I realized that I should definitely consider it. Particularly at that price point. I am a bit leery of the 295ES due to it's hefty price tag and the 5050UB is just MASSIVE in size. Normally size would not influence me but I've got that low ceiling to contend with and my PJ ceiling-mounted is going to be lower than normal any way you slice it. Therefore the overall size of the PJ is now a consideration for me too.

Also, did you go with a chief mount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Looks great!

Is there any flex or sag in the screen wall frame when it is open and parallel to the floor, or does it seem pretty sturdy?

Nokomis Theater build thread (was Blue Room Theater)
Denon AVR-X4300H, Vizio P65, TiVo Bolt, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Plex
Speakers: R/L: Focal Aria 936, C: GoldenEar SuperSat 60C, S: Def Tech ProMonitor 1000's, Sub: JL Audio E112
post #125 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 08:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerhound34 View Post
A quick weekend update, after what felt like an entire day of caulking and sanding, I was able to finish up with all the painting of the trim. I used General Finishes chalk paint in the dark chocolate color. They said it would match the Java gel stain I did on the columns. Even up close the match is pretty darn good. For the most part it only took one coat and half of a quart did all the trim in this room. Needless to say, I am very impressed with how the General Finishes products went on, I would highly recommend them for anyone wanting to use wood stains on their products. The chalk paint didn't require a primer, I put it straight on the stained grade trim and it looks fantastic. The lack of primer I think helps it to better mimic the gel stain and allow some of the wood grains and textures to be seen.

Last night I was also able to build my front speaker shelves and run some strips that I will be attaching all of my 1' x 1' foam absorbing panels to.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Looks amazing! Following.
post #126 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 523
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Your theater is looking awesome. Have you triad out the HT's and Volts yet? Was wondering if they would be an improvement over my 25 year old Klipsch speakers.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #127 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayNTee View Post
Looks great!! I know I originally posted a question towards the beginning of the thread in regards to your side surrounds and how they'll interact with the two rows of seats. Have you had time to test the results from both rows in regards to the placement?
I have been able to get quite a bit of testing in with the speakers and their placement. Keep in mind this is my first real home theater and my only other experience is with basic model Polk's in a 5.1 setup in my wide open living room.

The DIY Soundgroup speakers are incredible and the placement seems to work perfectly. On the good Atmos soundtracks my front row is extremely immersive. I tried the back row for some scenes from Aquaman and I think having the sides cheating towards the back a little bit really helps the back row with a good radius of sound. We had friends over the other weekend, some in the front row some in the back. All of them commented on how the sound was just all over the place and how they have never experienced actual surround sound like this before. They also couldn't believe how much sound came from how small the Volt 6's were.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any other questions!
post #128 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSony View Post
Would love to hear your thoughts so far on the BenQ 3550?
Also, did you go with a chief mount?
So far I am loving my projector! I know there were quite a few people who felt they they kept getting bad units, but my unit has been working flawlessly. The picture is great, 4K really pops, It does well with my PS4 and it fit perfectly with trying to create a 120" screen from a short throw distance.

For the mount I am using a monoprice generic mount. I needed something that only drops the projector about 7". The BenQ factory mount I first bought was either flush mount or it extended from 9" to 18". I can try to get some more pictures of the mount and the projector if you need.

Yes, this is my first projector so I don't have much to base it off of, but it looks incredible to me.
AnnapolisSony likes this.
post #129 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpc-geek View Post
Looks great!

Is there any flex or sag in the screen wall frame when it is open and parallel to the floor, or does it seem pretty sturdy?
Great question! It does still have a little sag. I plan on getting some more metal plates to shore up the frame joints to see if that helps. Even with the sagging it doesn't seem to effect the screen at all. Luckily my side access panels open up wide enough for me to squeeze through. I left about 28" behind the screen as well so that I do have room to move around back there without having to lift the screen.

I eventually do need to replace the gas struts with something a little stronger. I have 25lb struts right now that just aren't quite strong enough. I first tried two 75lb struts and those were way too much....
htpc-geek likes this.
post #130 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Great update!

Looks suspiciously like a San Jose blanket....
beerhound34 likes this.

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
post #131 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
Your theater is looking awesome. Have you triad out the HT's and Volts yet? Was wondering if they would be an improvement over my 25 year old Klipsch speakers.
I absolutely love these speakers. I have had them running for about a month and a half now and I really feel like I can hear them getting better as they break in.

I actually spend a lot of time in the theater working on my laptop or playing a little PS4 with music from spotifly or pandora rocking out. Especially with the spotifly directly through my receiver it sound incredible. The HTM 10's are loud!! My only regret is that I only got one 15" sub, a problem I will hopefully remedy soon.

One song I love playing in the room for people is Zac Brown Band's "Free/Into The Mystic" Live track. The HTM's are so crisp and lively it sounds like he is right there in the room with us. The instruments are super clear and it just has that amazing LIVE vibe to it.

When it comes to movies, after people experience a movie and see the speakers, they cannot believe that all of the sound come from just those speakers. They think I should have giant speakers behind the screen and in the columns.
Ladeback likes this.
post #132 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James92TSi View Post
Great update!

Looks suspiciously like a San Jose blanket....
LOL!!!! It's an old throw back to when the Capitals had those blue, black and gold eagle jerseys! While I have nothing wrong with SJ (gotta love Jumbo Joe), my house is a strict Caps fan zone!
post #133 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
I actually spend a lot of time in the theater working on my laptop or playing a little PS4 with music from spotifly or pandora rocking out.
I am going to share with you a playlist that I put together on Spotify (31BV Audio Demo Mix). I ran through a bunch of audio/demo threads here on AVS and hand-picked some of the best songs that other members like to use for demos and I threw them all into one playlist. I'll share it with you via text. All you have to do is "follow it" and it will appear in your playlists...
beerhound34 likes this.
post #134 of 134 Old 12-03-2019, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Great question! It does still have a little sag. I plan on getting some more metal plates to shore up the frame joints to see if that helps. Even with the sagging it doesn't seem to effect the screen at all. Luckily my side access panels open up wide enough for me to squeeze through. I left about 28" behind the screen as well so that I do have room to move around back there without having to lift the screen.

I eventually do need to replace the gas struts with something a little stronger. I have 25lb struts right now that just aren't quite strong enough. I first tried two 75lb struts and those were way too much....
That's great info, thanks! I'd think the sag shouldn't be a problem unless you left it up for a long time. Your room looks great by the way!

I'm still a long ways from building my screen frame (I haven't even put up drywall yet), but I'm planning on hinging it like you have so that it opens up. I'm planning using linear actuators to lift the screen with automation. To prevent the screen from sagging while raised, I was thinking of framing the screen with the lumber turned on end, so the screen frame is deep like an acoustic panel. That strut info you shared is helpful for ball parking how much lifting power I'll need in the actuators.

Nokomis Theater build thread (was Blue Room Theater)
Denon AVR-X4300H, Vizio P65, TiVo Bolt, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Plex
Speakers: R/L: Focal Aria 936, C: GoldenEar SuperSat 60C, S: Def Tech ProMonitor 1000's, Sub: JL Audio E112
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page