Houston TX - Converting Study to Intimate Home Theater - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By leshric

post #1 of 8 Old 02-04-2019, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Post Houston TX - Converting Study to Intimate Home Theater

My house has a downstairs study in the front, but in the kitchen there are two built in desk spaces, so a study is really not needed. So I'm converting it to a small home theater! 5.1.4 with 4k Projector and 120" screen in a room that's 12' deep. It will be cozy, but awesome.

Goals:

1. 120" screen with 4k Projection
2. 5.1.4 speaker setup
3. RGB LED cove lighting all the way around

Challenges:

1. Kids bedroom right above the theater room, so I'm going to attempt some soundproofing
2. Room is partially exterior with windows. Planning to cover main windows with a huge curtain, and smaller windows with acoustic panels.
3. Room is small and oddly shaped.

Here is the plan:

My project starts a little differently. I actually had not planned on doing this right now, but my kids forced my hand by flooding an upstairs bathroom and causing the floors to get all torn up. So, oddly enough, the first thing to be done was the carpet.

Loving this carpet and it's going to go great with the navy/grey color scheme that I want to implement.

Here's a mock-up of the screen with tape.

Since I'm soundproofing, I had to tear out the ceiling. Seen here as well as the other windows that I have to deal with

I built these backer boxes for the Atmos speakers with 1 cu/ft volume, 3/4 MDF and 5/8 sheetrock, boy are they heavy!

And had to move the existing air vents down to account for the soundproofing channel and double drywall.

As of today, here's where I'm at. Ceiling is ready for drywall, electrical done for speakers, projector, and LED strips.

BIGmouthinDC and jokerrn like this.

Last edited by leshric; 02-05-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-04-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Are you legally allowed to bury a junction box behind drywall, where you live?
post #3 of 8 Old 02-04-2019, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Are you legally allowed to bury a junction box behind drywall, where you live?
Well crap! Thought I researched everything but I guess I missed this. I can relocate to the closet with the LED power and have them accessible. Or maybe do away with them altogether, that would probably be more appropriate.

Last edited by leshric; 02-04-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-05-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2140 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Those French door and that large window mean sound proofing isn't going to happen. Not sure how much money you plan to
throw at that, but it might be worth thinking about.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-07-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 573
@leshric
I would recommend you take the time to read the sticky at the top of the forum category call 'Soundproofing master thread'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshric View Post
Since I'm soundproofing, I had to tear out the ceiling. Seen here as well as the other windows that I have to deal with
There is allot more to 'sound proofing' than just tearing out the ceiling in your situation.
If you meant " " " " sound proofing " " " " ... then you are probably in the ball park of setting your expectations... otherwise you are not going to do yourself justice in addressing the challenges that you stated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshric View Post
Challenges:

1. Kids bedroom right above the theater room, so I'm going to attempt some soundproofing

You will need to address flanking, along with making sure the windows, your double doors, etc... are all addressed... unicorn curtains don't 'sound proof'..
The fundamentals of what you are trying to do are there, however, your implementation needs to be reviewed and corrected.

There is allot of good information on the forum, but you will need to take the time to read and understand the methods to reach the expectations you may have.

Just a word of caution.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #6 of 8 Old 02-07-2019, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
@leshric
I would recommend you take the time to read the sticky at the top of the forum category call 'Soundproofing master thread'.

There is allot more to 'sound proofing' than just tearing out the ceiling in your situation.
If you meant " " " " sound proofing " " " " ... then you are probably in the ball park of setting your expectations... otherwise you are not going to do yourself justice in addressing the challenges that you stated...

You will need to address flanking, along with making sure the windows, your double doors, etc... are all addressed... unicorn curtains don't 'sound proof'..
The fundamentals of what you are trying to do are there, however, your implementation needs to be reviewed and corrected.

There is allot of good information on the forum, but you will need to take the time to read and understand the methods to reach the expectations you may have.

Just a word of caution.
Yes I know it's not going to be ideal, but just hoping to reduce the sound transmission into the upstairs bedroom. I know it will not do anything for the rest of the downstairs. Taking the ceiling down also made it easy to run wires for the speakers and projector. I'm doing resilient channel with double drywall and green glue. Hopefully it makes some difference, if not, I'll just deal with it.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-07-2019, 02:39 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 436 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5838 Post(s)
Liked: 5403
Be sure you install the RC channel correctly, the high incidence of failure has led a lot of the pro builders to use clips and hat channel instead.

Flanking sound that will travel up the walls to the bedroom above will be your enemy in your quest to keep things reasonably quiet.
post #8 of 8 Old 02-14-2019, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Be sure you install the RC channel correctly, the high incidence of failure has led a lot of the pro builders to use clips and hat channel instead.

Flanking sound that will travel up the walls to the bedroom above will be your enemy in your quest to keep things reasonably quiet.

Sorry, hat channel and clips is what I meant, didn't know there was a difference. So, drywall is all in and I did a test, had my wife in that room yelling while I was in the bedroom upstairs. I know it's not the same as speakers and a sub going, but I could barely hear a peep as long as the doors were closed. So far I'm satisfied with the results. 3/4 of the walls in the room are insulated exterior walls, so maybe that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
build , polk , small , soundproof , soundproofing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page