1Likes
  • 1 Post By tlogan6797

post #1 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
NOOB Questions

Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for some time and I've learned a lot. After a few thread searches I've come to the point where I need to ask a few specific questions, thanks in advance for your help.

I finally have "permission" from the spousal unit to install a home theater in my basement. The room is 194"x161" finished. It's basically a blank canvas, nothing on the walls. I do not have access to the area above the ceiling, but I've managed to figure out how to run the wiring I need by taking off the baseboards, cutting out some of the sheetrock there, and running the wires inside the exposed stud area. (Pretty clever if I do have to say so myself lol)

Now the questions. First, the sound fields. I intend to do 4 overhead speakers but I'm debating with myself on if to wire for 7.1 or 5.1 on the ground. The size of the room seems to be right on decision edge.

I intend to get a reasonable faux k projector, figuring on 120" screen on the 161" wall. I think that might be a little tight but doable. Does anyone know different?

I also and fighting with myself over seating. I'd like to put two rows in, 4 across. Leaning towards the Seatcraft Sienna, which is 116" across. Is that realistic? Will two rows be pushing it too much? (Tried to add link but my post count wouldn't allow)

Finally, (I think) I don't know about an acoustically transparent screen...I had planned on getting floor speakers for the front instead of in wall mounted. The wall in wide enough for me to put the screen up and still have room on the sides for the speakers. Thoughts?

I know this was all over the place. Like I said, I've learned a lot, but every time I learn something another question comes up in my mind. Thanks again for your input.

Thayer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
that sounds too small to put 2 rows of seating in. how many people will actually use that room at once when its finished
post #3 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thayer19 View Post
Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for some time and I've learned a lot. After a few thread searches I've come to the point where I need to ask a few specific questions, thanks in advance for your help.

I finally have "permission" from the spousal unit to install a home theater in my basement. The room is 194"x161" finished. It's basically a blank canvas, nothing on the walls. I do not have access to the area above the ceiling, but I've managed to figure out how to run the wiring I need by taking off the baseboards, cutting out some of the sheetrock there, and running the wires inside the exposed stud area. (Pretty clever if I do have to say so myself lol)

Now the questions. First, the sound fields. I intend to do 4 overhead speakers but I'm debating with myself on if to wire for 7.1 or 5.1 on the ground. The size of the room seems to be right on decision edge.

I intend to get a reasonable faux k projector, figuring on 120" screen on the 161" wall. I think that might be a little tight but doable. Does anyone know different?

I also and fighting with myself over seating. I'd like to put two rows in, 4 across. Leaning towards the Seatcraft Sienna, which is 116" across. Is that realistic? Will two rows be pushing it too much? (Tried to add link but my post count wouldn't allow)

Finally, (I think) I don't know about an acoustically transparent screen...I had planned on getting floor speakers for the front instead of in wall mounted. The wall in wide enough for me to put the screen up and still have room on the sides for the speakers. Thoughts?

I know this was all over the place. Like I said, I've learned a lot, but every time I learn something another question comes up in my mind. Thanks again for your input.

Thayer
Forgot to ask one of the most important questions...the AV cabinet. Seems to me I would need to put it in the back of the room so that the lights on the equipment would not distract. My intent is to have the normal equipment plus an X Box One X. I'm wondering about how I would control the equipment if I put the cabinet in the back. Am I overthinking that?

Thanks again...Thayer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden78 View Post
that sounds too small to put 2 rows of seating in. how many people will actually use that room at once when its finished
Thanks, excellent question. Here at the house it's just my wife and I and our son. However, we have extended family and I wanted to be able to accommodate them or friends if they visit. Realistically not expecting a lot of company but that's what my debate with myself is about...
post #5 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Thanks, excellent question. Here at the house it's just my wife and I and our son. However, we have extended family and I wanted to be able to accommodate them or friends if they visit. Realistically not expecting a lot of company but that's what my debate with myself is about...
i would let others jump in with their thoughts but in on this it all depends how close want first row to screen and you'd probably need make 2nd row non reclining but you'd have work up some numbers. id ask resident expert @BIGmouthinDC to chime in and give his opinion on the matter . you also dont want the last row seats to be right on top of rear speakers but who knows how often they will even be used
post #6 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
who knows how often they will even be used
Exactly! Once the initial WOW factor wears off (which will happen MUCH faster to your friends and family), it will be you, the wife and son in there. My advice....1 row, 4 seats.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends

Need motivation? Get LOGANED
The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
post #7 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
Exactly! Once the initial WOW factor wears off (which will happen MUCH faster to your friends and family), it will be you, the wife and son in there. My advice....1 row, 4 seats.
Excellent point, I’m sure you’re right. And the son is 13, so I suspect even he won’t want to hang out with us much longer .
post #8 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Forgot to ask one of the most important questions...the AV cabinet. Seems to me I would need to put it in the back of the room so that the lights on the equipment would not distract. My intent is to have the normal equipment plus an X Box One X. I'm wondering about how I would control the equipment if I put the cabinet in the back. Am I overthinking that?

Thanks again...Thayer
you could use a RF remote like some of the Logitech harmony remotes with an ir blaster to control your AV rack, as far as screen if you could do an AT screen with a decent amount of room behind you could run 3 identical speakers for your LCR, which is the best route, if not then 2 on the sides of the screen and a horizontal center. Thats all I really have to add to the conversation lol, projectors and screens are out of my area.
post #9 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Excellent point, I’m sure you’re right. And the son is 13, so I suspect even he won’t want to hang out with us much longer .
….but WILL want to hang with his friends in there (probably playing video games) so the 4 seats instead of 3.
greedo likes this.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends

Need motivation? Get LOGANED
The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
post #10 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
you could use a RF remote like some of the Logitech harmony remotes with an ir blaster to control your AV rack, as far as screen if you could do an AT screen with a decent amount of room behind you could run 3 identical speakers for your LCR, which is the best route, if not then 2 on the sides of the screen and a horizontal center. Thats all I really have to add to the conversation lol, projectors and screens are out of my area.
The remote option sounds complicated, one more thing that could go wrong. I should have mentioned that in my house, I’m tech support. All the time. Anything more than turn it on and it just works gets me a call. Maybe a dark door on the cabinet in front might suffice...

As for the screen, good idea...center channel only behind the screen.

Really excited, wiring up tomorrow.

Thayer
post #11 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The remote option sounds complicated, one more thing that could go wrong. I should have mentioned that in my house, I’m tech support. All the time. Anything more than turn it on and it just works gets me a call. Maybe a dark door on the cabinet in front might suffice...

Thayer
Actually once set up the Logitech remotes are FANTASTIC, best reasonably priced universal remote on the market. You basically set up "activities" like say Watch TV, which is a button on the remote, it will turn on the projector, switch the AVR to the correct input, the volume up and down will control the AVR volume, the channel up and down and number buttons would control your cable box, its all seamless. Same thing for like Watch Movie, it will switch to the DVD/Blu Ray player input on the AVR, turn on said player, pause, play etc all control the player, volume still controls the avr. I have mine set up in the living room and my bed room they work wonderfully. The only down side, battery life. In say a normal tv remote you can get what 2+ years out of a set of batteries, you get about 4 to 6 months in the Logitech. Also its all set up on the computer you plug it in, it has a app you open tell it the models of all your various equipment tell it what you want to control in each activity and your done, it will replicate literally %99 of the original remotes functionality.
post #12 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Thayer
That's just it with the Harmony...after the initial setup, it is not complicated at all. My wife can just pick up the remote and press "Watch TV" and the TV turns on, then the receiver turns on and switches to the appropriate input for the cable box, good to go. Change your mind and want to watch Fire TV (for example) instead? Press the corresponding button that you chose during setup, and the receiver changes to the proper HDMI input, the Fire TV turns on, and in a few seconds, you're off and running. We've had our Harmony Elite for a few years now and it hasn't had a hiccup yet. I'd say that's pretty solid reliability worth looking into. If, for some reason, they can't figure that out though, you can even access the system through the Harmony app on your phone and do it for them even if you aren't home. I've never had to do this though, because it just works. I'll get another one if this one dies, and plan to use one in my theater room as well, once completed.
post #13 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Actually once set up the Logitech remotes are FANTASTIC, best reasonably priced universal remote on the market. You basically set up "activities" like say Watch TV, which is a button on the remote, it will turn on the projector, switch the AVR to the correct input, the volume up and down will control the AVR volume, the channel up and down and number buttons would control your cable box, its all seamless. Same thing for like Watch Movie, it will switch to the DVD/Blu Ray player input on the AVR, turn on said player, pause, play etc all control the player, volume still controls the avr. I have mine set up in the living room and my bed room they work wonderfully. The only down side, battery life. In say a normal tv remote you can get what 2+ years out of a set of batteries, you get about 4 to 6 months in the Logitech. Also its all set up on the computer you plug it in, it has a app you open tell it the models of all your various equipment tell it what you want to control in each activity and your done, it will replicate literally %99 of the original remotes functionality.
Exactly, he said it better, ha
post #14 of 28 Old 02-05-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlogan6797 View Post
….but WILL want to hang with his friends in there (probably playing video games) so the 4 seats instead of 3.
Scary thought. I'll charge him admission.
post #15 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 04:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the remote information. I checked it out and no matter where I put the cabinet that’s on the must have list. Being able to take care of it on my phone pushed it over the top. Like I said, this is a great forum, I’ve learned a lot. Seems every day I find something else I didn’t know.
post #16 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Can you post some photos? maybe a drawing of your plan.. Some initial equipment thoughts. and your goals for the room/build?
Would be helpful to make sure we are all not missing something on your behalf.

Just some questions I have...

Remote control.. ?? what are you controlling? AVR? which PJ? Streaming box? UHD player? Acoustic treatments? are there windows in the room? Do you have enough power into the room? do you have stone walls? complete retro? full modern? disco ball? LED lighting? riser? stage? how many subwoofers?.. double doors? is the end goal for spousal unit to like it? shiny pole in the middle?

HT1.0 | HT2.02
JVC RS-2000 / Xbox One X / nVidia Shield / DIY treatments
Seymour AV Center Stage 130" 2.35 / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD
iNuke NU6000DSP / iNukeNU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 2x UM18-22 / 12x JBL 12"
11.2(16).6 Atmos/Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #17 of 28 Old 02-06-2019, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
Can you post some photos? maybe a drawing of your plan.. Some initial equipment thoughts. and your goals for the room/build?
Would be helpful to make sure we are all not missing something on your behalf.

Just some questions I have...

Remote control.. ?? what are you controlling? AVR? which PJ? Streaming box? UHD player? Acoustic treatments? are there windows in the room? Do you have enough power into the room? do you have stone walls? complete retro? full modern? disco ball? LED lighting? riser? stage? how many subwoofers?.. double doors? is the end goal for spousal unit to like it? shiny pole in the middle?
Lol. Sure thing. When I posted my first questions, the system would not allow me to add attachments because my post count was not high enough. I should be good now.

So, here were are, not to scale. This started as a simple plan to just throw in a Sonos sound system in the room with a screen and projector and call it a day. Well, then I started reading and bug hit me. Here is where I am so far, but nothing is in stone yet.

1. Receiver - Marantz AV7703 11.2 Dolby Atmos
2. Inputs - X Box One X, Amazon FireStick, DirectTV
3. Sources - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Synology NAS with Plex Media Server
4. Projector - Still a toss up. BenQ, Optoma leading candidates
5. Speakers - Klipsch 5.1: 2 RP-4000F Floor Standing in front, RP-400C Center, RP-400M
Surrounds, and SPL-100 Sub, along with 4 in ceiling Atmos Speakers

I'm fortunate that the room is completely enclosed, so no windows. Also, all walls are finished so I don't have the concrete problem. I will put some DIY sound treatments up (thanks to the folks here for the tips on how). As I suspect that the room is too shallow to put in two rows of seats, I'm considering putting a bar behind the row of seats that will allow for more versatility and additional people if needed. It seems like an easy compromise and I've built bars before. However, since the bar is higher than the seats, I don't think I need to add a riser. As always, spousal unit support and appreciation is a plus.

I think that's everything. If you look at the picture, I took it from the door. You can see that the baseboards have been pulled to facilitate the running of the wires to support 4 sconces (two on each wall) and wiring for the 11 speakers. I know I said I'm going 5.1.4, but I'm wiring 7.1.4 because I'm certain that, even if it doesn't make sense for such a small room, I'm sure that one day I'll get the bug and add the rear channels.

Hope that answers everything. Any and all input welcome. I'm a little bit of a geek, but a newbie when it comes to making decisions about home theaters.

Thanks...Thayer
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Theater Before.pdf (59.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf Theater Drawing.pdf (58.9 KB, 24 views)
post #18 of 28 Old 02-07-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Lol. Sure thing. When I posted my first questions, the system would not allow me to add attachments because my post count was not high enough. I should be good now.

So, here were are, not to scale. This started as a simple plan to just throw in a Sonos sound system in the room with a screen and projector and call it a day. Well, then I started reading and bug hit me. Here is where I am so far, but nothing is in stone yet.

1. Receiver - Marantz AV7703 11.2 Dolby Atmos
2. Inputs - X Box One X, Amazon FireStick, DirectTV
3. Sources - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Synology NAS with Plex Media Server
4. Projector - Still a toss up. BenQ, Optoma leading candidates
5. Speakers - Klipsch 5.1: 2 RP-4000F Floor Standing in front, RP-400C Center, RP-400M
Surrounds, and SPL-100 Sub, along with 4 in ceiling Atmos Speakers

I'm fortunate that the room is completely enclosed, so no windows. Also, all walls are finished so I don't have the concrete problem. I will put some DIY sound treatments up (thanks to the folks here for the tips on how). As I suspect that the room is too shallow to put in two rows of seats, I'm considering putting a bar behind the row of seats that will allow for more versatility and additional people if needed. It seems like an easy compromise and I've built bars before. However, since the bar is higher than the seats, I don't think I need to add a riser. As always, spousal unit support and appreciation is a plus.

I think that's everything. If you look at the picture, I took it from the door. You can see that the baseboards have been pulled to facilitate the running of the wires to support 4 sconces (two on each wall) and wiring for the 11 speakers. I know I said I'm going 5.1.4, but I'm wiring 7.1.4 because I'm certain that, even if it doesn't make sense for such a small room, I'm sure that one day I'll get the bug and add the rear channels.

Hope that answers everything. Any and all input welcome. I'm a little bit of a geek, but a newbie when it comes to making decisions about home theaters.

Thanks...Thayer
Not a bad selection, have you already bought the sub? Nothing wrong with the Klipsch subs, but for about the same price you could get a SVS PB-1000 which will reach lower or even better, for a little more you could get a HSU VTF-2 MK5
post #19 of 28 Old 02-07-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, there have been some changes. I found a dealer who gave me a really great deal on the following:

Speakers: Klipsch 5.1 8000F, 504C, 502S, and 115SW.

AVR: Dennon 6500

Basically, I got the speakers for about $1K less than the Amazon price and the receiver for about $500 less. In short, for about $200 over the previous plan, I did much better. Placed the order, on the way.

I'm still up in the air on the projector...hard choice. I've heard some horror stories about the projectors I've listed, eye issues, etc. At the same time, others swear by them. The next one up would be the JVC LX-UH1. I'll spend the extra for it but only if I absolutely had to.

Thayer
post #20 of 28 Old 02-07-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Actually, there have been some changes. I found a dealer who gave me a really great deal on the following:

Speakers: Klipsch 5.1 8000F, 504C, 502S, and 115SW.

AVR: Dennon 6500

Basically, I got the speakers for about $1K less than the Amazon price and the receiver for about $500 less. In short, for about $200 over the previous plan, I did much better. Placed the order, on the way.

I'm still up in the air on the projector...hard choice. I've heard some horror stories about the projectors I've listed, eye issues, etc. At the same time, others swear by them. The next one up would be the JVC LX-UH1. I'll spend the extra for it but only if I absolutely had to.

Thayer
Glad you got a good deal, and that 15" Klipsch sub is about the only one many seem to like of their selection so good pick.
post #21 of 28 Old 02-09-2019, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So...riddle me on the positioning question. Sorry if this should have been understood already, but I'm just making sure. I'm installing an Xbox OneX. I think the gaming controllers are IR. How will those be controlled if the console is placed behind the viewing area? Would IR repeaters be required?

Thanks again...getting closer. Equipment is starting to come in, wires get pulled in a couple of days...

Thayer
post #22 of 28 Old 02-09-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So...riddle me on the positioning question. Sorry if this should have been understood already, but I'm just making sure. I'm installing an Xbox OneX. I think the gaming controllers are IR. How will those be controlled if the console is placed behind the viewing area? Would IR repeaters be required?

Thanks again...getting closer. Equipment is starting to come in, wires get pulled in a couple of days...

Thayer
Xbox controllers just like the Playstation are bluetooth. As long as the console is within range, I think they will work out to something like 30 feet, your fine.
post #23 of 28 Old 02-09-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxt View Post
That's just it with the Harmony...after the initial setup, it is not complicated at all. My wife can just pick up the remote and press "Watch TV" and the TV turns on, then the receiver turns on and switches to the appropriate input for the cable box, good to go. Change your mind and want to watch Fire TV (for example) instead? Press the corresponding button that you chose during setup, and the receiver changes to the proper HDMI input, the Fire TV turns on, and in a few seconds, you're off and running. We've had our Harmony Elite for a few years now and it hasn't had a hiccup yet. I'd say that's pretty solid reliability worth looking into. If, for some reason, they can't figure that out though, you can even access the system through the Harmony app on your phone and do it for them even if you aren't home. I've never had to do this though, because it just works. I'll get another one if this one dies, and plan to use one in my theater room as well, once completed.

I'm in the middle of programming a Harmony Elite with RF/IR hub, and the initial programming is time consuming. Or at least for me it is. Once it's programmed, though, you don't touch the programming unless you change equipment. Or at least that's the way it was with my URC remote (which sadly died after 10+ years of use just a few weeks ago).

Bob
post #24 of 28 Old 02-09-2019, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctviggen View Post
I'm in the middle of programming a Harmony Elite with RF/IR hub, and the initial programming is time consuming. Or at least for me it is. Once it's programmed, though, you don't touch the programming unless you change equipment. Or at least that's the way it was with my URC remote (which sadly died after 10+ years of use just a few weeks ago).
Yes the initial set up does take a bit of time, having all the make and model numbers of your equipment written down is a MUST, since you tell it what make and model each device is and it will duplicate %99 of the functions. The good thing though, so long as you still have the Harmony program on your computer, reprogramming a new remote is as simple as plug and update. My harmony in my room is wearing out after about 7 or 8 years, all I have to do is buy a new one, the model I have is cheap, plug it into my computer and upload the existing programming.
post #25 of 28 Old 02-09-2019, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Xbox controllers just like the Playstation are bluetooth. As long as the console is within range, I think they will work out to something like 30 feet, your fine.
Ah, Bluetooth. Excellent! Thank you!
post #26 of 28 Old 02-10-2019, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My take on a few items.

AT screen has many benefits. Definitely gives the room a clean look. But you need to consume space to use box speakers behind it. I used the Klipsch THX in walls behind an AT screen in a 15x23 theater and have been very happy with output and sonics. But box speakers typically will sonically outperform in walls, at the same price point. With mine, I knew I wanted the clean look up front. So the framing and studs were placed for in-wall speaker optimization of 11 channels. Start by looking over THX and Dolby guidelines for speaker positions from listeners (angles/degrees). For me it quickly narrowed down were the speakers needed to be. Audyessy/Dirac/DSP can fix a bunch. But it helps to start with speakers as close to optimal from the start to get the best results. Blank slate/custom build out lets you plan this stuff out to the inch.

I did 2 rows of 3 seating. This was to avoid jamming someone into a wall (wife wanted 2 rows of 4). There are walkways on both sides of the seating. but there isn't a terrible seat, visually or audibly. Still have the front center money seat though. While we have sports parties and the kids have friends over to watch movies and fill the room, 90% of viewing time is just me in the $ seat. So I would consider long term exactly how many people you want to support/seat vs normal occupancy. Sometimes I think I should have just gotten one big foofy recliner for me and have been done with it.

I echo the comments on the Harmony remotes and the Harmony Hub. I have an AV rack in the wall behind the seating, and use the Harmony Hub. I utilize multiple emitters in the rack and one to the projector (Hub has two IR outputs). Easily controls everything. Great value. easy set up. Took time to get the start up sequence correct, as the projector gave me grief in the sequence. Only odd complaint about the remote is that it is sensitive to vibration. So heavy bass will cause it to light up. I flip it over so the light doesn't distract me. but this then causes the rechargeable battery to drain quicker than you would think. So by habit it goes in the charger as i shut down / leave.

Subs. Get what you can afford to start. They are some of the easiest components to swap later for better ones as your desires and disposable income grows. But two always better than one I have found. Hell, I have three now...You can sink crazy amounts of $$$ into subs for just a little improvement. But sometimes that's the bass itch that needs to be scratched.

in my 15ft wide theater I have a 150inch 16:9 with a 4k projector and it is the perfect size for me. 120inch in a 13.4ft wide is probably about right. But you may need room on left and right for towers. So measure twice! Buy once! Viewing distance there are several distance calculators on the web. They are a good place to start.

Good luck!
post #27 of 28 Old 02-11-2019, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighModulus View Post
My take on a few items.

AT screen has many benefits. Definitely gives the room a clean look. But you need to consume space to use box speakers behind it. I used the Klipsch THX in walls behind an AT screen in a 15x23 theater and have been very happy with output and sonics. But box speakers typically will sonically outperform in walls, at the same price point. With mine, I knew I wanted the clean look up front. So the framing and studs were placed for in-wall speaker optimization of 11 channels. Start by looking over THX and Dolby guidelines for speaker positions from listeners (angles/degrees). For me it quickly narrowed down were the speakers needed to be. Audyessy/Dirac/DSP can fix a bunch. But it helps to start with speakers as close to optimal from the start to get the best results. Blank slate/custom build out lets you plan this stuff out to the inch.

I did 2 rows of 3 seating. This was to avoid jamming someone into a wall (wife wanted 2 rows of 4). There are walkways on both sides of the seating. but there isn't a terrible seat, visually or audibly. Still have the front center money seat though. While we have sports parties and the kids have friends over to watch movies and fill the room, 90% of viewing time is just me in the $ seat. So I would consider long term exactly how many people you want to support/seat vs normal occupancy. Sometimes I think I should have just gotten one big foofy recliner for me and have been done with it.

I echo the comments on the Harmony remotes and the Harmony Hub. I have an AV rack in the wall behind the seating, and use the Harmony Hub. I utilize multiple emitters in the rack and one to the projector (Hub has two IR outputs). Easily controls everything. Great value. easy set up. Took time to get the start up sequence correct, as the projector gave me grief in the sequence. Only odd complaint about the remote is that it is sensitive to vibration. So heavy bass will cause it to light up. I flip it over so the light doesn't distract me. but this then causes the rechargeable battery to drain quicker than you would think. So by habit it goes in the charger as i shut down / leave.

Subs. Get what you can afford to start. They are some of the easiest components to swap later for better ones as your desires and disposable income grows. But two always better than one I have found. Hell, I have three now...You can sink crazy amounts of $$$ into subs for just a little improvement. But sometimes that's the bass itch that needs to be scratched.

in my 15ft wide theater I have a 150inch 16:9 with a 4k projector and it is the perfect size for me. 120inch in a 13.4ft wide is probably about right. But you may need room on left and right for towers. So measure twice! Buy once! Viewing distance there are several distance calculators on the web. They are a good place to start.

Good luck!
Thanks, excellent info. I plan to mount the projector and look at the picture on the wall, get the sizing right and then buy the screen. That way I’ll be sure to get the right size.

Harmony remote sold. I put the cabinet behind the seating area today. I did decide against the AT screen... I’m sure it’s the best solution but the deal I got on speakers was just too good, but they are exterior.

Coming together nicely. All the wires are run and the older kids came over to paint today...I think they have an ulterior motive . If all goes well I’ll watch the Daytona 500 in my theater on Sunday.

Thayer
post #28 of 28 Old 03-06-2019, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

After all of the help I received here, it would be rude not to provide an update. I'm rounding third, heading for home on this. I've got all of the electronics done with the specifications as described. I went with the Klipsch speakers in 5.1 configuration with 4 additional Micca ceiling speakers, the Optima UHD 51A projector and Logitec Elite remote. Came together quite nicely, only thing missing now is the chairs which are probably still a month away. In the mean time, we use the lawn loungers and, frankly, they work fine for now. After I get the chairs, I'll install a bar behind them. The only other thing lacking is running Ethernet from my server to the Xbox.

Bottom line, this was a fun project with good payoff. If you look at the before picture, it's hard to believe it's the same room. It's gone from being a "junk" room to being the place I spend every evening.

I learned a lot of lessons, but two that stick out. First, it's all about the trade off. Nothing comes to you perfectly so you have to adapt to the situation to make it work. Second, ethernet is your friend. Trying to stream high definition movies over wi-fi...just don't do it. It works ok unless you stop for any reason. Getting started again is a buffering nightmare!

Thanks again everyone...Thayer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TH1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	669.1 KB
ID:	2535468   Click image for larger version

Name:	TH2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	663.8 KB
ID:	2535470  
Sponsored Links