Hi everyone, I am currently in the process of building a new home theater in my lookout style basement, in a year-old house. I built a theater room in my old house, so I have some experience, but it was several years ago and it only turned out ok.
So here is my situation we built this house my wife agreed that I should finally get to have the home theater I want (Within reason). Now I have been wanting to get started since I moved in, but life gets in the way. That brings me to why I need to start work now..
I work from home, and my office is in a upstairs bedroom , 5 months ago we had a beautiful baby girl who currently sleeps in our bedroom and the only place for her to go is my office, so if I ever want to sleep again, I need to move my office downstairs(side note: I’m so tired).
So I did a few thing right when we built the house..
1. I did not let the build finish the basement. There are no wall built or framed out, and I can get into the ceiling.
2. I made sure the basement was laid out in a correct orientation.
3. I paid a whopping $2000 dollars to have them add 2 extra course of brick, giving me over 9’ of ceiling height. ~112’’
Now I will admit the room is not perfect fit, but it’s pretty darn good IMHO..
So a couple of rough ideas.
1. Ceiling mount Projector with screen.. 130’’ – 150’’
2. Dolby ATMOS 5.1.2/4 or 7.1.2/4 but of course wiring for a 9.1.4.
3. For Speakers, I have small children so, in-wall or on-wall/Ceiling speakers might be a good idea.
4. One note.. Maybe I can’t afford all the coolest stuff now(see note about baby) but I want make sure that in 5 years when I can, my theater can be upgraded.
General build ideas
1. It would be cool to make the whole basement a theater, but I need an office if I ever want to sleep again.
2. I think I should make the wall with the screen with 2x6 and not 2x4.. so I can fit speakers in there.
3. I’m not sure how important sound proofing is, no one sleeps right above the basement. There is a whole ground floor between the basement and the bedrooms. However, if there is something that I should put in the ceiling just in case that would be nice to know.
4. For the floors, I’m going to put a subfloor down then carpet(I’m in MN it can get cold in a basement)
That about it, except to say I feel very much out of my element here. I know enough to know that I don’t know nearly enough. I have read through the forums for a few months, and somehow I’m more confused then before.
So that led to the one mistake I made so far, and that was asking for a few HT companies to come over and tell me what they thought. Which made it very clear to me that I don’t know enough yet. I mean.. I don’t have any idea what speakers I want, or if I need an amp, or what I need to do to make sure I can calibrate everything once it is installed.
Anyway here is the plans I got from the builder with a plan they sorta suggest, but again nothing is built yet so as long as there is an office down there somewhere.. I’m good. Also I did a very quick, layout in ms paint.. to give a very rough idea.
Thanks in advance. Step #1
is cleaning out the rest of the basement. getting some good measurements, then I will post some pictures..
I totally forgot to ask for suggestions on speakers(What's awesome these days) Will I get good sound out of in wall speakers? Anything special I should do with the wall the screen is going to be on to hide anything, hold components? Any other suggestions to help me get started.. Thanks!