The Rush Creek Theater - Build Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes

post #1 of 104 Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The Rush Creek Theater - Build Thread

Update 1 5/9/19 : Initial Planning Complete : See Post #94

Initial Post

Hi everyone, I am currently in the process of building a new home theater in my lookout style basement, in a year-old house. I built a theater room in my old house, so I have some experience, but it was several years ago and it only turned out ok.

So here is my situation we built this house my wife agreed that I should finally get to have the home theater I want (Within reason). Now I have been wanting to get started since I moved in, but life gets in the way. That brings me to why I need to start work now..
I work from home, and my office is in a upstairs bedroom , 5 months ago we had a beautiful baby girl who currently sleeps in our bedroom and the only place for her to go is my office, so if I ever want to sleep again, I need to move my office downstairs(side note: I’m so tired).

So I did a few thing right when we built the house..
1. I did not let the build finish the basement. There are no wall built or framed out, and I can get into the ceiling.
2. I made sure the basement was laid out in a correct orientation.
3. I paid a whopping $2000 dollars to have them add 2 extra course of brick, giving me over 9’ of ceiling height. ~112’’

Now I will admit the room is not perfect fit, but it’s pretty darn good IMHO..

So a couple of rough ideas.
1. Ceiling mount Projector with screen.. 130’’ – 150’’
2. Dolby ATMOS 5.1.2/4 or 7.1.2/4 but of course wiring for a 9.1.4.
3. For Speakers, I have small children so, in-wall or on-wall/Ceiling speakers might be a good idea.
4. One note.. Maybe I can’t afford all the coolest stuff now(see note about baby) but I want make sure that in 5 years when I can, my theater can be upgraded.

General build ideas
1. It would be cool to make the whole basement a theater, but I need an office if I ever want to sleep again.
2. I think I should make the wall with the screen with 2x6 and not 2x4.. so I can fit speakers in there.
3. I’m not sure how important sound proofing is, no one sleeps right above the basement. There is a whole ground floor between the basement and the bedrooms. However, if there is something that I should put in the ceiling just in case that would be nice to know.
4. For the floors, I’m going to put a subfloor down then carpet(I’m in MN it can get cold in a basement)

That about it, except to say I feel very much out of my element here. I know enough to know that I don’t know nearly enough. I have read through the forums for a few months, and somehow I’m more confused then before.
So that led to the one mistake I made so far, and that was asking for a few HT companies to come over and tell me what they thought. Which made it very clear to me that I don’t know enough yet. I mean.. I don’t have any idea what speakers I want, or if I need an amp, or what I need to do to make sure I can calibrate everything once it is installed.

Anyway here is the plans I got from the builder with a plan they sorta suggest, but again nothing is built yet so as long as there is an office down there somewhere.. I’m good. Also I did a very quick, layout in ms paint.. to give a very rough idea.

Thanks in advance. Step #1 is cleaning out the rest of the basement. getting some good measurements, then I will post some pictures..

EDIT #1
I totally forgot to ask for suggestions on speakers(What's awesome these days) Will I get good sound out of in wall speakers? Anything special I should do with the wall the screen is going to be on to hide anything, hold components? Any other suggestions to help me get started.. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement design 1-25-19.png
Views:	180
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	2521774   Click image for larger version

Name:	basement-layout.png.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	2521778  

Last edited by laoping; 05-09-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 Old 02-08-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 191
RE: general build #3 - soundproofing: even if it isn’t important for you to keep sound in the theater, you may want to do some soundproofing to keep sound out. A lower noise floor in the room helps dynamic range. It’s also nice to not hear kids playing and people walking in the space above you when trying to watch a movie.
Ladeback likes this.
post #3 of 104 Old 02-09-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2044 Post(s)
Liked: 834
How many seats do you need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 104 Old 02-10-2019, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Looking forward to following your progress! I'm just starting the planning for my first theater so it's always nice to read along with people at similar stages. BTW, I have a 4 and 2 year old... the sleep does increase as they get older, but some nights it's still few and far between
post #5 of 104 Old 02-11-2019, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
How many seats do you need?
At least 6.. Good Question
post #6 of 104 Old 02-11-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What's the space blow the bar area? Six seats isn't much of a demand with all that basement that is visible, so it really doesn't rule out anything. Which leaves me
thinking what's beyond the bar at the bottom of the floor plan/circulation space needs, waste lines, and if that's a to be a wet bar.

I'd be thinking a daylighted hall at the top corner, with a vertically orientated dedicated theater pushed down, and where the bar could now end up. The goal being sound
isolation, a low noise floor, and going for substantial audio and video, at any budget. Get the room right, and having a solid path to improvements, down the road, would be
a design goal. (You've already made a step in that direction, as the extra basement height, is a really good long term investment.)
post #7 of 104 Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The previous owner of my house ceiling mounted 3 center channel speakers, pointing to MLP. Although the speakers are screwed through, the whole floor is almost clear for kids to play on. Not a perfect solution but good for me.
post #8 of 104 Old 02-11-2019, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What's the space blow the bar area? Six seats isn't much of a demand with all that basement that is visible, so it really doesn't rule out anything. Which leaves me
thinking what's beyond the bar at the bottom of the floor plan/circulation space needs, waste lines, and if that's a to be a wet bar.

I'd be thinking a daylighted hall at the top corner, with a vertically orientated dedicated theater pushed down, and where the bar could now end up. The goal being sound
isolation, a low noise floor, and going for substantial audio and video, at any budget. Get the room right, and having a solid path to improvements, down the road, would be
a design goal. (You've already made a step in that direction, as the extra basement height, is a really good long term investment.)
First I agree with you 100% Most important now is getting the room right. I don't plan on moving ... for at least a few decades..

Good questions.. I attached a full image of the basement.. Currently there is no bar there, but I was thinking a wet bar, because on the other side of the wall is the bathroom. I'd also be cool with a closet there. If we do put a wet bar there, I'd also put cabinets above it, so I would guess I would have space above and below for components.

That said 6 seats is the sorta minimum getting started, I'm happy to have more. Also I may want to put a standing bar area behind the seats at some point.

I'm pretty flexible.. Looking at the plans.. the only walls currently there are the solid black walls.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	full basment.png.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	2524376  

Last edited by laoping; 02-11-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #9 of 104 Old 02-11-2019, 06:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Six seats in this space would be something pretty special, with the surrounds being well off any seat.

But a 17' wide room should be able to go 4 seats wide, and still have a wide aisle.

The bar could be shifted over, and you could do a couple of steps up to riser height, with a landing area, and
the electronics, and enter at riser height.

Those seats are a wee bit on the small side of tings, scale-wise.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	laoping.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	2524480  
post #10 of 104 Old 02-11-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 4661 Post(s)
Liked: 2960
Yea I'd make the room wide enough for the largest screen you'd want. Then bring your main seat up to about 1 screen width so you can actually benefit from 4K and not have a whole bunch of empty unused space between your seat and the screen. I'd make the 2nd row of seating a sub platform that fires subs into your main seat back. Looks like you have a ton of space for all that.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #11 of 104 Old 02-11-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Whether 3 seats or four seats wide, I'd be aiming at 17' wide, and maybe even a little wider, depending on that choke point at the end
of the stair area.

The issue with pulling seats forward, is you might not be able to take in the entire screen, without eyes needing to jump around the screen.
You also don't want your ears at the center of the room's depth. I would worry less about resolution, and design with an eye towards an audio
perspective. Then the screen size becomes a product of ergonomics, projector lumens, and AT screen gain.

Three seats wide, also gives you the opportunity for a time aligned money seat. You do loose paired couple seating, so that might carry
more weight.
post #12 of 104 Old 02-11-2019, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Six seats in this space would be something pretty special, with the surrounds being well off any seat.

But a 17' wide room should be able to go 4 seats wide, and still have a wide aisle.

The bar could be shifted over, and you could do a couple of steps up to riser height, with a landing area, and

I love when Tedd makes these. It's a thing of beauty.
post #13 of 104 Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Awesome.. I did not think about rotating the room like that.. So that's a better setup than using the whole big space then? I'd have to get the wife to sign off on the whole blocking the window thing.. but I like it..
post #14 of 104 Old 02-12-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
I like Tedd's design on post #9 . That would give and are outside the theater for other things like a game room or something like that. That's what I hope to have is you walk through a bar area/game room to get to the theater. Lot of room in the basement and I wish I had your extra 6" of height, but I am better then most with 106" of height. Good to plan ahead as much as possible.

Look forward to fallowing this build.

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #15 of 104 Old 02-12-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The pros of rotating that room, is you tie the theater to the bar, and the bathroom. You also get a confined space, with symmetrical walls, and
the opportunity to go for a low noise floor, which in the real world means loud events aren't so loud that you jump for a remote's volume key, while
you still hear the quietest passages. You simply hear what the director intended you to hear.

You also don't have a sound system trying to fill that larger volume, and the flip side to a low noise floor, is you don't have sound leaking into the
rest of the home. A large piece of glass in theater itself, is highly reflective and will leak bass, and maybe a plan to have access to the window, without it
being a liability is a good idea.

I also like gaining elevation outside a theater, to enter at riser level, and it's a nice wow factor to seeing the steps and level drop away, upon first entering.

You could slide the room down, and flip it 180 degrees, so that window is exposed.

All that space is luxurious, and the rotation also gives you a nice family room layout.
post #16 of 104 Old 02-14-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I would be tempted to slide the room down a bit, and put a beefed up door with seals in the back wall of the AT space, for future window access.

A set of curtains on the window, and things would look normal from outside.

The bar would be more of a service bar, but that might be a neat and tidy packaging of the theater, entry, bar and nearby bath room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	laoping slide.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	2525530  
post #17 of 104 Old 02-14-2019, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I would be tempted to slide the room down a bit, and put a beefed up door with seals in the back wall of the AT space, for future window access.

The bar would be more of a service bar, but that might be a neat and tidy packaging of the theater, entry, bar and nearby bath room.
Looks good.. what is the minimum width you would go for in the theater room? 17' might be a bit to wide.. I broke my laser tape measure so get another one today to get come accurate measurements, but 17 feet might be a stretch.

Thanks all your ideas.. got me thinking in a completely different direction (literally!)
post #18 of 104 Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoping View Post
Looks good.. what is the minimum width you would go for in the theater room? 17' might be a bit to wide.. I broke my laser tape measure so get another one today to get come accurate measurements, but 17 feet might be a stretch.

Thanks all your ideas.. got me thinking in a completely different direction (literally!)
Hey folks,

The door wouldn't interfere with the R rear speaker placement would it? I don't know the exact degrees for the speaker placement for this set up? A door in the middle back wall might interfere with acoustic (diffusion) treatment (tx) but you could put tx's on the door etc bass trap in corner--probably not needed though. I really do like the way it is laid out now.

Great work Tedd, you laid out another room beautifully and efficiently.

Aaron

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Panasonic, OPPO

Last edited by A.T.M.; 02-15-2019 at 04:15 PM.
post #19 of 104 Old 02-14-2019, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That speaker may or may not, interfere with the door. What speaker layout? I would accept a less then absolute perfect rear surround speaker spread, to
get an the entry at riser level, with uninterrupted side wall sightlines. As for a bass trap, the door needn't interfere as the riser might be employed as a
large full range bass trap. Might want to make sure all vents are high heel "safe" though.

As for width, 4 seats wide is nice at 17" plus, simply to get any side surround speakers at least 3 feet off of the seats.

Now if that were a three seat per row layout, I wouldn't go below 13' wide. And I still might go 15' wide, or even 16' wide. Again to get the speakers
further off the seating. And three seats in a row also let's you have that one optimized seat come audio, and being at the center of the screen.
It's a nice luxury to have surround speakers 4' off the seating, so that could be weighed against giving up 2 seats. And if those 2 seats aren't going to be
filled on a regular basis, one could pull in some overflow seating, for a larger crowd. I've seen IKEA Poangs used in this manner, and I think some of Big's
BigA$$ riser steps would let you fill in some aisle with a few extra seats. Another argument for less seats, might be what else could that money get you,
planted elsewhere?

There's also a war of inches that could be played, with buying narrower seats. Proper layout of a room, starts with the seats, which plant eyes and ears in
3D space.
post #20 of 104 Old 02-15-2019, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

First I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has helped. Especially Tedd, you have been awesome. I got a brand new laser tape measurement and I just added a image with a bunch of new dimensions. It's a little easier to read I think..

The good news I have a lot of space for the wetbar/ hallway into the theater. Also my wife is ok with the general idea of a layout.

I have lot's of space, maybe not enough for 17' but still not a small room. I have ~ 40'' of total length. The issue is between the wall and the stairs on the right side is only 16'. I'm thinking whatever hallway I have needs to be 2' 6'' so with losing 8'' 4 seats wide would be nice, but I'd be ok with 3 in 2 rows.. Family of 5 so 6 seats would not be bad, and I could always bring in more seating if we had people over.

I talked to the city planner and he politely suggested that it would be best if I still had access to the window. It doesn't have to be EASY access but I need to be able to get to it without taking a wall down.. It's under the deck I built last summer so I don't really care to look out of it, but if it ever breaks or leaks it would be nice to be able to get to it..

A few questions for the collective fine people here..
1. Tedd (And everyone else) the area between the screen and the back wall.. I take it that is for speakers? There is also a second small room in the layout between where the speaker go(I assume) and the window wall. Can that be eliminated or pushed back?
2. What seating do people like these days.. Of I'd love recliners, with power for cell changers, place for controllers..

Also.. just want to say again thanks... I'm hoping to actually start roughing in a week or two.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Basement-blank-m.png
Views:	41
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	2525990  
post #21 of 104 Old 02-15-2019, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
What speaker layout?

The riser might be employed as a large full range bass trap. Might want to make sure all vents are high heel "safe" though.

And three seats in a row also let's you have that one optimized seat come audio, and being at the center of the screen.
1. Good question?

2. Yup, completely agree and LOL about the high heel safe.

3. I would definitely go with the 3 seat x2 arrangement (only 4 if you made the middle two a connected love seat so you could still sit in the middle of it when you wanted retaining the perfect seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoping View Post

Also my wife is ok with the general idea of a layout.

I'm thinking whatever hallway I have needs to be...

A few questions for the collective fine people here..
1. Tedd (And everyone else) the area between the screen and the back wall.. I take it that is for speakers? There is also a second small room in the layout between where the speaker go(I assume) and the window wall. Can that be eliminated or pushed back?
2. What seating do people like these days.. Of I'd love recliners, with power for cell changers, place for controllers..
WAF is good - the best kind of start

Hallway needs to be the width of whatever is to code per your city (as you probably know)

1. Yes, the space is for the speakers (And it also allows for space between the speakers and the screen which will be needed- depending on your screen type). I'd talk to Tedd about that one---I'm sure you could push it back or you could put AV back their if needed, but it is really nice to have your AV where Tedd put it...so I'll wait for Tedd.

2. There is an entire spreadsheet and "sticky" https://www.avsforum.com/forum/32-th...facturers.html ; that has brands manufacturers and costs, but everyone's preferences are different, even in the same house. Some want lumbar support, some want it cushy, some want the headrest adjustable, some want no head support as it blocks the rear speaker's sound, some want ample head support. I use to see a lot of people using Berklines - but my WAF says they "look like theater seats"---ahhh yup...that's because it's a home theater---so I'm still in the seat searching phase.

Aaron
laoping likes this.

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Panasonic, OPPO
post #22 of 104 Old 02-15-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I understand why the city planner suggested that, but he also likely has zero experience nor knowledge, as to how to accomplish that, and not undermine a low noise floor.

And if you pulled that wall back a bit, with an acoustically transparent screen and front wall, there's no reason there could be a heavy duty door, with seals, to access the window.
Or even a removable access panel.

That second area with the theater slid down more, was about a narrow space, where a hidden door on the front wall, could provide access for any future repairs. The window could also be
removed outright, as an potential option.

That area behind the screen is for the front 3 speakers, sub/s, corner bass traps, front wall acoustic treatments. It also can host a raised stage, sand filled.

Most people go for recliners. I prefer something a little less comfy, or else movie time occasionally becomes nap time. A recliner also moves one's ears and eyes, so you need to watch
sight lines.

Is there any HAVC in the proposed theater space, or any other obstacles to be accommodated?

I'd be thinking three seats wide, and whatever the local minimum code is for a hallway, at the end of the stairs.
laoping likes this.
post #23 of 104 Old 02-15-2019, 05:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

forgot to attach the diagram...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	laoping slide 3seatwide.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	2526362  
post #24 of 104 Old 02-15-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If I have the stair entry at basement level correct, and five seats works, one might spend the budget
in very different areas.

Here's a couple of pictures of a Waterfall Audio room, to show off this sort of concept. I myself am thinking this sort of layout for the my next home theater. ATMOS and surrounds quality in-wall speakers, and my dynamic JTR speakers and my two big subs up front.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	laoping 5wide.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	2526364   Click image for larger version

Name:	711.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	2526366   Click image for larger version

Name:	712.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	2526368  
post #25 of 104 Old 02-27-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Folks.. It's been a few days. Adulting got in way of home theater stuff. Basement is just about empty. Things moving slowly, but that's how it goes.

Anyway. First I wanted talk about the 3 new images I added. I was getting a questions about the entire basement so I made a new high quality image of the basement plans. The first image is pretty blank, just in case any of you fine people what to help. The second in a modified version of what @Tedd designed.. I just added the wet bar inside the home theater.. It might not be ideal but it saves needing a hallway which takes up space. The last is a semi-crazy idea I just had, but if I swapped where the office and the home theater rooms around. I did not have time to throw measurements on there yet, but the new home theater room roughly 14' by 15'

Note: all the measurements are *mostly* accurate, but also I'm going to lose 4'' for the wall and Sheetrock.

So after talking to a few people on pm and my wife I have come up with few more.

First .. I'm not 100% on anything. with the exception of 3 things, first I work from home full time, so I need office space, second the bathroom is already roughed in so it's going where is going, and third my kids want a fort under the stairs. But everything else can be changed. If the layout out work better without a wet bar, that cool with me.

So.. a few more questions.
1. How can I future proof the room. Want to make sure this is a top concern. I'd rather spend money on making it upgradable the future as oppose to awesome now.
2. I like the idea of having most of the equipment hidden, so what do I need to do to make all this happen.
3. I'm fine doing DIY stuff. Screen, maybe even speakers.. Thoughts?
4. I need to add HVAC still still, they can go anywhere so if there are best practices that would be cool to know.
5. What sort of sounds proofing should I plan for.. There is a floor between the basement and where people sleep, so that helps, but I don't want to hear too many people stomping around and I also do want to rattle the dishes in the kitchen.
6. Does anyone else have thoughts/ ideas. I'm prepared to be told I'm 100% wrong and that a different idea is way better.

Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Basement-Builder-Blank-big.png
Views:	40
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	2531838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement-Layout-2-27-19.png
Views:	40
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	2531840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Basement-Builder-Design-Switch.png
Views:	43
Size:	497.4 KB
ID:	2531842  
post #26 of 104 Old 02-27-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
I like Tedd's plan if you went with a dedicated theater, but have you thought of having a combo game and theater room all in one? Would be great for big parties. What are you planing on putting in your game room? Here are a few ideas you could do. Just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4359-img2328.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	2531932   Click image for larger version

Name:	fa20ba9d5d832c25935ea6f529ba97fa.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2531940   Click image for larger version

Name:	111123-GameRoomHT.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2531942  

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #27 of 104 Old 02-27-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Since you went to that space, you could do a second cheap projector, for large entertainment space. And you could pair it with a smaller dedicated low count
theater.

The office could be more open concept, with the end wall of the stairs open, to allow larger pieces of furniture down the stairs. An av rack such as a Middle Atlantic Slim5 could go in the office space, and a projector hush box could be hidden up in a dropped ceiling in the office. 4 in wall surrounds speakers, and four in wall ATMOS speakers, could be paired
with more substantial front speakers, in something like a baffle wall front end, to eat up less room depth.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	XA.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2532002  

Last edited by Tedd; 02-27-2019 at 05:34 PM.
post #28 of 104 Old 02-27-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So.. a few more questions.
1. How can I future proof the room. Want to make sure this is a top concern. I'd rather spend money on making it upgradable the future as oppose to awesome now.

Predicting the future and what it might entail in the way of needs is tough. But those single row designs do tend to look at that. I plan a room as such, and I am thinking fabric panels bolted to
Unistrut, makes them removable. In wall speakers and acoustical treatments go underneath the simple speaker grill fabric I plan on using.

2. I like the idea of having most of the equipment hidden, so what do I need to do to make all this happen.

3. I'm fine doing DIY stuff. Screen, maybe even speakers.. Thoughts?

Lots of value there. DIY Sound has some great offerings.

4. I need to add HVAC still still, they can go anywhere so if there are best practices that would be cool to know.

Heat cool vents up front, typically high mounted and high mounted vents in the back.

5. What sort of sounds proofing should I plan for.. There is a floor between the basement and where people sleep, so that helps, but I don't want to hear too many people stomping around and I also do want to rattle the dishes in the kitchen.

RSIC clips and double drywall is the higher end option. Double 5/8" drywall might not eliminate impact noise from above, but you can eliminate most holes in the room's shell. Entry door gets gaskets and a door sweep, or threshold with gaskets.

6. Does anyone else have thoughts/ ideas. I'm prepared to be told I'm 100% wrong and that a different idea is way better.

The right way is the room that gives you the best performance and hits the right note for spaces outside the theater, for you. Using myself as an example, I don't need a lot of seats, so a smaller seating count works for me, and I want a high performance room, so I can build a room that can come close to some really high rooms, with the small seat count working hard in my favor. I keep the speaker throw distances low, and pair with amps. I end up with a room with dynamic sound, a substantially lower price point. My new front end is back to htpc. 4k and ATMOS capable, with a separate UnRaid media server, currently at 8x8 TB drives, any new hard drive additions will be 10TB drives.
post #29 of 104 Old 03-11-2019, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
I like Tedd's plan if you went with a dedicated theater, but have you thought of having a combo game and theater room all in one? Would be great for big parties. What are you planing on putting in your game room? Here are a few ideas you could do. Just a thought.
I've thought of that. In fact that was the idea I started with, but then Tedd gave me another Idea.. I'm not sure what would go into the game room.. maybe a fooseball table, treadmill

Quote:
Since you went to that space, you could do a second cheap projector, for large entertainment space. And you could pair it with a smaller dedicated low count
theater.

The office could be more open concept, with the end wall of the stairs open, to allow larger pieces of furniture down the stairs. An av rack such as a Middle Atlantic Slim5 could go in the office space, and a projector hush box could be hidden up in a dropped ceiling in the office. 4 in wall surrounds speakers, and four in wall ATMOS speakers, could be paired
with more substantial front speakers, in something like a baffle wall front end, to eat up less room depth.

I'd have to check, but the wall at the bottom of the stairs might have to stay there.. at least half the wall would because the stairs turn.

I'm cleanly unsure of what to do at this point.. Need to consider a few things. I don't need THAT big of a office. Might be nice to have a window in the office, but that's not 100% needed either. The big question is do I get more use out of having and office with 1 big combo room and a office or 3 rooms with a dedicated theater ..

I'm leaning towards 1 of Tedd's designs, but what does everyone else think. Does anyone have experience with both types or rooms and what did you find more functional?
post #30 of 104 Old 03-13-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

That end wall I left somewhat open, as a hedge about bringing furniture downstairs, and to visually open up the office. That end wall could be open, but framed in with metal, much like a door, so
something creative along those lines.

I find the open concept/more social/fun space versus dedicated decision to be really easy. It simply boils down to a dedicated space having the potential to get the most out of gear, at any price point, and offer
up a room that can be enjoyed and not disturb others in the home. I get my low noise floor, and very tactile dynamic sound system, while the Mrs gets quiet when I watch movies she isn't interested in. And I do
have a media room setup upstairs, that is simply 2.1 and mostly displaced gear from theater upgrades.

One reason I did a few smaller seating option concept floor plans, is you could have the big open concept social space, and a smaller more hardcore room, as you have lots of space to work with. Open concept is more
functional, but substantially flawed, from a movie watching experience. It will never ever come close to a dedicated space at any price point, because there is a whole list of compromises, that really can add up. And that
can even be wasteful from a dollar perspective with buying expensive gear, where less substantial gear would perform the same.

The real problem is most people have no clue about what a dedicated room with a low noise floor, offers. If you haven't experienced one, then the dedicated/open concept choice is often flawed, towards what one knows,
versus true performance. It's kind of hard to compare apples and oranges, when one has never tasted an orange. I do wonder if there's anyone in your area, in the "Local Area Meets" section of AVS, that could host you, to get
some seat time in a room with a lower noise floor?

That big of an office was more about keeping hallway width to code, and keeping the theater from being used as a hallway.

Ladeback's argument works in my favor, as I simply know I don't want large reflective surfaces in my room (slate pool tables) and large panes of glass leaking bass, plus costing me 30db of dynamic range audio-wise, with the
loss of dynamic range picture-wise. I also like the idea of application of higher end ideals, such as surround speakers off seating, and acceptance of less seating, as suitable trade-offs for a superior viewing/listening experience.
Now if that superior experience means a crew of friends. then maybe that's one's better space. You simply have enough space to have your cake and eat it too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page