New Construction Home Theater Room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 02-22-2019, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 24
New Construction Home Theater Room

Well, it is time to give up the temporary living room theater room (wife wants her room back) and start the build design for our new addition.
Here is what what my current plans are. 10ft ceiling, 17ft wide, 26ft long. Two rows of 4 theater seats with a 12" rear riser.
I plan to go 9.4.4 atmos sound, but pre-wire for 9.4.6
I will be designing it around my currently owned equipment as listed below:

Screen: Draper TecVision Premier XT1800X WHITE 161” (79” x 140”) Gain: 1.8
Projector: Epson Home Cinema 5030UB (hoping to upgrade to 4K HDR this year)
Receiver: Denon AVR-X8500H
Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-3
Blu-ray player: Oppo UDP-203 4k
(1)Center Speaker: Mirage OMD-C2
(2)Main Speakers: Mirage OMD-28
(6)Surrounds: Mirage OMD-5
(4)Atmos : Mirage OMD-5 (placed in 12" boxed raised ceiling locations)
(4)Subwoofers: 2-Klipsch R-115SW / 2-Klipsch R-112SW Reference Series

I am in the design phase, any and all input is greatly appreciated. I will be posting pics as I proceed.

Thanks in Advance!

11.2 Home Theater: SPEAKERS: Front Main-Mirage OMD-28's, Center-Mirage OMD-C2, Front High-Mirage OMD-5's, Front Wide-Mirage OMD-5's, Side & Rear Surrounds-Mirage OMD-5's, Subwoofers, (2) Klipsch R-112SW. EQUIP: Receiver:Denon AVR-X8500H, Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-3, Projector:3D Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5030UB, Screen: Draper 3D PREMIER TECVISION 161" HDTV (16:9) XT1800X WHITE, Blu-ray Player:Oppo UDP-203, Gaming: Xbox One X

Last edited by audiomirage; 03-08-2019 at 05:19 PM. Reason: upgraded equipment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 02-22-2019, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My Personal opinion is it is not wide enough for rows of 4 seats. I have a 3 seats across a 4300mm wide room, leaving 800mm between the seats and the side walls and I don't think this is enough separation from the surround speakers. You will have almost exactly the same dimensions (depending on how wide your seats are). Can you get away with 2 rows of 3 seats ?

Also I would consider raising both rows of seats so you can get front row vertical viewing angle closer to the centre of the screen (depending on your screen height of course) and to run subwoofers under both risers for that added tactile response - see the thread on BOSS platform etc.

And maybe consider 7.2.6 with top middle speakers directly between each row - I believe that is the preferred option for multi rows ?? My experience with 5.2.4 vs 7.2.4 is that the extra surround backs make little difference.
post #3 of 37 Old 02-22-2019, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
My Personal opinion is it is not wide enough for rows of 4 seats. I have a 3 seats across a 4300mm wide room, leaving 800mm between the seats and the side walls and I don't think this is enough separation from the surround speakers. You will have almost exactly the same dimensions (depending on how wide your seats are). Can you get away with 2 rows of 3 seats ?

Also I would consider raising both rows of seats so you can get front row vertical viewing angle closer to the centre of the screen (depending on your screen height of course) and to run subwoofers under both risers for that added tactile response - see the thread on BOSS platform etc.

And maybe consider 7.2.6 with top middle speakers directly between each row - I believe that is the preferred option for multi rows ?? My experience with 5.2.4 vs 7.2.4 is that the extra surround backs make little difference.
niterida, thanks for the quick feedback.

Reasoning for the width, from my research, I was advised that the optimum formula for design is Width= 1.6 x Ceiling height , and Length = 2.6 x Ceiling height. And planning on a 10' ceiling.

That makes it a 10'x16'x26' room. The chairs that I have chosen (row of 4 straight 134"), from theaterseatstore.com, only gave 12" on both sides, so I increased the width a foot to allow for 18" on each side.

Attached is a pic of the speaker layout, looking down, with room ceiling removed. I am planning on pre-wiring for 9.2.6 for future release. I also attached a pic of a view from the front row of seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abovespeakerview.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	2529696   Click image for larger version

Name:	viewfrontscreen.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	641.4 KB
ID:	2529698  

11.2 Home Theater: SPEAKERS: Front Main-Mirage OMD-28's, Center-Mirage OMD-C2, Front High-Mirage OMD-5's, Front Wide-Mirage OMD-5's, Side & Rear Surrounds-Mirage OMD-5's, Subwoofers, (2) Klipsch R-112SW. EQUIP: Receiver:Denon AVR-X8500H, Amplifier: Emotiva XPA-3, Projector:3D Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5030UB, Screen: Draper 3D PREMIER TECVISION 161" HDTV (16:9) XT1800X WHITE, Blu-ray Player:Oppo UDP-203, Gaming: Xbox One X

Last edited by audiomirage; 02-22-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 02-22-2019, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Yeah I designed my room around the ceiling height of 9' and ended up with just over 14' wide by 20'6" long (according to Spemeyer ratios). Which is why I only have 3 seats (plus 3 bar seats behind). Sounds pretty good now that I have finally got the setup correct(ish) and I have no room treatments yet.

My next build will be 10' ceilings in the same ratio and will stick to 3 seats wide giving me an extra 8 1/2" clearance each side.

12" riser with subs for my one row of seating is my next project after my AT screen.
post #5 of 37 Old 02-22-2019, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterida View Post
Yeah I designed my room around the ceiling height of 9' and ended up with just over 14' wide by 20'6" long (according to Spemeyer ratios). Which is why I only have 3 seats (plus 3 bar seats behind). Sounds pretty good now that I have finally got the setup correct(ish) and I have no room treatments yet.

My next build will be 10' ceilings in the same ratio and will stick to 3 seats wide giving me an extra 8 1/2" clearance each side.

12" riser with subs for my one row of seating is my next project after my AT screen.
Wife want 2 rows of 4. But I see you point. I like the 3 idea cause I would get the middle chair!!
Here is a pic of what it looks like from above with seating as I have planned. As you can see, my main focus is on the front row. 90% it will just be the wife and I. I have attempted to pattern this seating position as close as possible to the one provided by Dolby.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullviewabove.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	617.1 KB
ID:	2529700   Click image for larger version

Name:	dolbysetup.gif
Views:	119
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	2529738  

Last edited by audiomirage; 02-22-2019 at 08:01 PM.
post #6 of 37 Old 02-23-2019, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 758
I’m digging the schematics you have created. First question, what is your plan for sound isolation, if any? This could impact the space within drywall - likely shrinking the space some. My room is 18’ across to center of studs, and right at 17’ 2” inside of drywall. My seating will be rows of 4 as well, and I would want not want the space along the sides to be any narrower; it’s borderline as it is now for me. It doesn’t look like you are planning for columns, so you won’t have anything to worry about there.

Aaron H.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron H.
post #7 of 37 Old 02-23-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahomie View Post
I’m digging the schematics you have created. First question, what is your plan for sound isolation, if any? This could impact the space within drywall - likely shrinking the space some. My room is 18’ across to center of studs, and right at 17’ 2” inside of drywall. My seating will be rows of 4 as well, and I would want not want the space along the sides to be any narrower; it’s borderline as it is now for me. It doesn’t look like you are planning for columns, so you won’t have anything to worry about there.

Aaron H.

So at this point, the only planned sound isolation would be for acoustic room value only. Sound and bass absorption as needed. As we live in the country, and the addition will incorporate an additional room between our current house, I am not concerned with the bass traveling outside of the room. No current plans for columns. I guess I am old school and like to see my speakers and show off their beauty. Here are a couple of pics my drafter just sent me. As you can see in the pics, I can steal some space from the additional room, not much more though, cause initial plan was 16' wide, and I told the wife I needed another foot so chairs were not so tight, so 17' inside to sheet rock. I am building the center dividing wall with a 6" studs. Keep the sound a bit down in the exercise room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	top view.PNG
Views:	79
Size:	578.1 KB
ID:	2530042   Click image for larger version

Name:	side view.PNG
Views:	72
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	2530044  

Last edited by audiomirage; 02-23-2019 at 01:36 PM.
post #8 of 37 Old 02-23-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
17' wide is plenty for 2 rows of 4. It leaves you 3+ feet on each side.

If you aren't doing an AT screen, you have a lot of depth in that room to work with. More than enough for 2 rows, and even enough for a bar behind the 2nd row if you wanted. I started with 26' of depth, lost ~33" in front for the screen wall, and another 18" in back for the acoustic treatments and subs, and with my front row in the 12-13' range from the screen, and back row 6.5 feet back from the front row, I still have nearly 2 feet to the front of the rear subs. Yours would be nearly 5 more feet of usable depth..

Just pay attention to seat placement, make sure your front row ears aren't at the mid point of the room, or the rear seating at the 3/4 point.

Be sure to make the riser tall enough to clear the front row and still see the whole screen.

Your screen size is decent for that room, but it's not a small screen, so keep that in mind with your projector choice. The Sony's are not terribly bright, and without tone mapping HDR will be very dim on that size of screen, even if you go with some screen gain.
audiomirage likes this.
post #9 of 37 Old 02-23-2019, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Attached is the spec sheet for the screen I purchased. It has a 1.8 gain. You feel that the Sony VPLVW385ES 4K HDR will not be sufficient? What do you recommend? Been using the Epson Home Cinema 5030UB and it seems to work fine. Of course we have windows in our current room and limit movie watching to evenings when it is dark. I am currently 18' away from the screen, and from the information I have found so far, this seem like the correct distance, so not sure about changing seating location.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tecvision-xt1800x-white-large.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	2530160  

post #10 of 37 Old 02-23-2019, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomirage View Post
So at this point, the only planned sound isolation would be for acoustic room value only. Sound and bass absorption as needed. As we live in the country, and the addition will incorporate an additional room between our current house, I am not concerned with the bass traveling outside of the room. No current plans for columns. I guess I am old school and like to see my speakers and show off their beauty. Here are a couple of pics my drafter just sent me. As you can see in the pics, I can steal some space from the additional room, not much more though, cause initial plan was 16' wide, and I told the wife I needed another foot so chairs were not so tight, so 17' inside to sheet rock. I am building the center dividing wall with a 6" studs. Keep the sound a bit down in the exercise room.

That makes sense. Sound isolation doesn’t sound like a big issue in your case. Dkersten made some good points. What about power HVAC?

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #11 of 37 Old 02-23-2019, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
That makes sense. Sound isolation doesn’t sound like a big issue in your case. Dkersten made some good points. What about power HVAC?

Aaron H.

For HVAC, I was planning on a split ductless system, one head unit would be placed in the front in the coffer ceiling and one in the exercise room. The Daikin unit is extremely quiet and efficient. Trying to keep in budget, and this seems the only way to do it for now.

post #12 of 37 Old 02-23-2019, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

That sounds good. I have a two zone mini split and it’s awesome. Room is ducted and AV closet is ductless.

What about power?

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #13 of 37 Old 02-23-2019, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkersten View Post
Your screen size is decent for that room, but it's not a small screen, so keep that in mind with your projector choice. The Sony's are not terribly bright, and without tone mapping HDR will be very dim on that size of screen, even if you go with some screen gain.
Here is what Sony says regarding the model I plan to purchase, does this mean it does have HDR? Input would be appreciated.

4K SXRD Home Cinema Projector VPL-VW385ES

HDR compatibility: every image comes to life
Get the most from your projector when viewing new UHD Blu-ray and streaming services with High Dynamic Range (HDR). HDR video offers a vastly expanded brightness range to deliver far more realistic, high-contrast images and brilliant colors. Compatible with both HDR10 and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) formats. Sony's home projectors reproduce color and contrast faithfully to creators' intentions.

Should I consider another Epson product like this one, just the cost is to good to be true for what you get:

Epson Home Cinema 4010
4K PRO-UHD Projector with HDR

2,400 Lumens White Brightness1

2,400 Lumens Color Brightness1

Precision Cinema Lens Technology

Last edited by audiomirage; 02-23-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #14 of 37 Old 02-23-2019, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What about power?
Do you mean for the room? If so, the point of attachment for the addition, is the wall where the current breaker panel is located, so I will be just adding a 100amp box to the side of the current house exterior wall, which will now become an interior wall to the exercise room, and then feed my plugins and A/V closet from there.

post #15 of 37 Old 02-23-2019, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 513
My theater is 14.5' wide after clips/channels/double drywall and have 4 seats on back row so you should be fine. Feel free to check out the build thread in my signature link
audiomirage likes this.
post #16 of 37 Old 02-23-2019, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Do you mean for the room? If so, the point of attachment for the addition, is the wall where the current breaker panel is located, so I will be just adding a 100amp box to the side of the current house exterior wall, which will now become an interior wall to the exercise room, and then feed my plugins and A/V closet from there.

Perfect, 100 amp service will give you plenty of headroom for that space. It sounds like you’ve got a lot of the major items thought about, which is great. Space, layout, power, HVAC, and sound isolation expectations.

Aaron H.

Aaron H.
post #17 of 37 Old 02-24-2019, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 622 Post(s)
Liked: 1104
Quote:
Here is what Sony says regarding the model I plan to purchase, does this mean it does have HDR? Input would be appreciated.

4K SXRD Home Cinema Projector VPL-VW385ES

HDR compatibility: every image comes to life
Get the most from your projector when viewing new UHD Blu-ray and streaming services with High Dynamic Range (HDR). HDR video offers a vastly expanded brightness range to deliver far more realistic, high-contrast images and brilliant colors. Compatible with both HDR10 and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) formats. Sony's home projectors reproduce color and contrast faithfully to creators' intentions.

Should I consider another Epson product like this one, just the cost is to good to be true for what you get:

Epson Home Cinema 4010
4K PRO-UHD Projector with HDR

2,400 Lumens White Brightness1

2,400 Lumens Color Brightness1

Precision Cinema Lens Technology
If you ran the Sony out of the box on the highest lamp mode with the iris wide open, you could probably get enough lumens to make a 1.8 gain screen of that size look decent on HDR. It will be on the edge, a little too dim in some movies, fine in others. Your contrast in darker scenes will be a little weak, but frankly Sony makes a decent projector. The 385 is no longer made though, so you would be buying used, and given that Sony is notorious for their degrading LCD panels, you risk buying something with a potentially short life and no warranty to protect you. The 295 lacks a dynamic iris IIRC, so the poor contrast would be even worse on the brightest mode, which you would need for decent HDR.

And if you calibrate that projector, you are going to lose quite a bit of your brightness, dropping into the 1400 lumen range. So with reasonably accurate colors and gamma, even if your screen performs at 1.8 gain (I don't know enough about that brand to know if they are reasonably accurate in their specification of gain, but most are overrated), you might get into the 30fL range if you put the projector at the minimum throw. Don't expect it to live up to the advertisements... those are really only accurate for smaller screens in the 90-110" range, maybe 120" at max. Above that and it becomes a crap shoot.

The Epson is misleading, if you don't calibrate it have some pretty bad colors, you might reach the rated lumen output with everything cranked to the max, but to have a decent picture you would want to get it dialed in at least fairly close, and that will cost you up to half the light output. And that projector has VERY poor contrast, so with everything wide open it will be at its worst. Epson's DI is not the best either (if the 4010 even has one), so unless you don't mind it pumping on darker scenes, you would probably want to turn it off, which will leave you with a pretty bad black floor. The 5050ub would be a far better choice than the 4010, and it should be available in the next few months. Fully calibrated it is in the same boat with the Sony on brightness, with no really good internal tone mapping to compensate.

You can use a custom luminance curve on any projector, if you have a calibrator that can help with that, or perhaps you can take your chances with some calibrations off the forum. I got my Epson 5040ub to look pretty spectacular on my 150" wide scope screen. It falls short on some movies, but it blows away the factory settings for HDR.

The other option is the new line of JVC projectors, which are going to give you slightly more calibrated lumens (on average) but not enough to make up for the lack of brightness even on your high gain screen. However, they have tone mapping sliders built in, and that will make more difference than anything else.

You have other options, some fairly cheap if they fit your usage. The Pansonic 820 and 9000 blu ray players have excellent tone mapping, so if that is the extent of the HDR source content that you use, then that is a great choice. If you have an HTPC and watch mostly ripped content (mkv's), then MadVR is pretty much the best tone mapper you can get these days, and it has some of the best upscaling for 1080p content as well. But for sources other than discs or files (like streaming), only the JVC projectors, or an expensive Lumagen Pro will take care of everything for you.

No solution is totally perfect, and the truth is, even on my larger screen, the Epson 5040 performs VERY well for most content. I have a JVC RS2000 on order, and expect it to be a significant upgrade, but at a rather high cost. I always loved my Sony projector in my last theater, but for the price I just can't justify it, Epson can do 4k e-shift for far less and be almost as good, and JVC can now do 4k native for less with far more features for the same dollar. If you can get a good deal on a used Sony 385 (since they don't make it any more), it's a good option, just be careful as they do have a known issue with panel degradation, so without a warranty you could have a shorter life span. Epson is not far off with power supply issues, so buying an older Epson is not the best idea either. The older JVC e-shift projectors are good, with the only known issues being bright corners and the manufacturing tolerences can leave you with an underperforming projector. None of the projectors other than the brand new JVC's have tone mapping built in, and frankly that will make the most difference between them all, in regards to how it will perform on your larger screen.

You just have to do your research, talk to some experts, and make your decision based on the kind of expectations you have.
audiomirage and sirjaymz like this.
post #18 of 37 Old 02-24-2019, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

So basically the bottom line is lumens. The more the better. Obliviously Sony does not update there site, cause the VPL-VW385ES still show as in production.

I like the specs of the JVC, so I would like to hear what you have to say once you receive yours. My budget is 10K or under for the best 4k projector I can get. My Epson is fine for now, so even if I do not upgrade this year that would be fine.

I was under the assumption that my new Denon AVR-X8500H Receiver handled some of the video processing that you mention. Is this not so? Below is their advertised statement.

FUTUREPROOF IN ANY WAY
All eight HDMI inputs (including one on the front) and three HDMI outputs feature HDCP 2.2 compatibility and the latest HDMI specifications, including 4K Ultra HD 60Hz video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and 21:9 video, 3D, and BT.2020 pass-through support. It is even ready for Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) for 3D audio playback through TV apps. The feature will be enabled via a future firmware update.

And does my new Oppo UDP-203 4k have any effect regarding this? I now see it has been discontinued...

I definitely have some learning to do in this area. I will take your advice and hold off thought for a Sony Projector and focus on the JVC.

Thanks for all the feedback.

post #19 of 37 Old 03-02-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Planning department approved my initial plans for the addition. Next step is to submit the blueprints to building department. These are being drafted up in SketchUp. I will be submitting the plans without the A/V closet or rear seat riser. Once we get it approved and start the build, I hope to have enough feedback to get the inside designed. I have already made some seating changes (moved forward) based on the above input. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	layout.png
Views:	85
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	2533294  

post #20 of 37 Old 03-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 494
@audiomirage
First and foremost, it is very helpful having drawings and diagrams to discuss the space you are wanting to build. A+ on that for doing that up front.
Additionally, it sounds like you have done some research. This is also helpful for us, as it helps gauge the effort you are willing to put towards educating yourself in the matters. Thank you.

I have some feedback with to regarding PJ.
You were have mentioned the Sony 385 multiple times, but I would like to maybe steer you away from it. I planned, designed , and built my entire room around that projector, only to come to a conclusion I was not going to be happy with the end result. I have been planning to go to the RS-2000 for a couple of months, and have been waiting ever since CEDIA to get there on my build. I figure it's worth the wait for the new JVC 4k PJ.
385 has several issues, of which @dkersten mentioned a few of the important ones. Not only those, but the importance of upgrades to a PJ is almost as important as the units working right out of the box regardless of how long it takes. My point is, there hasn't been a single firmware upgrade on the Sony VPL-VW385ES since it's release date. Like notta single thing. This to me just showed that Sony shoveled it out the door, and focused on the next 'best thing' , instead making refinements and supporting their existing customers. This leaves me rather disappointed. I have been in I/T, and AV for many years, and quite honestly, NOTHING, and I mean nothing, is absolutely perfect out of the box from moment one. No way..
2ndly, the 385 does not do 18gig speed on the hdmi interface. no matter what excuse it is, it does not meet spec. plain and simple. that's just taking shortcuts. And since I have a Sony 900E 65" 4k tv with a 10/100mbit network card, and I get better streaming with wireless, makes my conclusion that sony takes shortcuts or cheapens out that much further, is very disappointing.

I have decided to wait many months and go with the JVC RS-2000. I am still waiting as of today. Auto-Tone Mapping, brighter lumens, and overall better support, seems like a better choice.

Next thing, I like the Denon 8500 .. very good choice.. I however, don't think I would be implementing the Front Wide , as I believe the Dolby Atmos spec is changing, and those are going away in the future. IMHO, the better bang is to go with the x.x.6 top atmos speakers Top front, top middle, top rear, as they will be way more utilized in all aspects of atmos audio than the front wides.

Oppo 203, I wouldn't even bother. Obsolete, and they are out of business. no long term support is going to happen there. Not that the box is bad per se, just I wouldn't want to invest in obsolete equipment. I'd recommend the Xbox One X as a player and gain gaming along with it, and allot of support with MS rather a company that has folded up. Comes with UHD player that is second to only the Panasonic, and if you were to move it to another room, it now supports Solby Vision.

As far as 4 seats wide.. I would consider changing that to 3 wide, though you can fit 4, why would you make the best seating spot in the entire room be located on an arm rest??? The well renowned Dennis Erskine says something along the lines of make the best seat the best one, and all others don't matter.
Make them all a compromise, and that's all you have, is a compromise... or something along those lines... now if the WAF increases 10 fold for having 4 wide.. you may want to stick with that. just my $0.02. I don't think it will be bad either way...

As far as 'sound proofing'. Though it's mostly only you and your wife, I would at least consider doing double drywall and green glue, and insulation in the walls, as it does help control overall room to room sound when others are there and you and friend are in the room, and the wife and her friend are in another part of the house. Makes for better conversation outside of the room... Also... it's realatively in-expensive WRT the overall cost of a room and the benefit returns of that...

Subwoofers - Plain and simple, ditch the Klipsch subs. I have found that their wiring from the factory is horrible. read my thread to see details. Also, after running REW in the room, I found that they are a significant field of distortion at all harmonics of frequencies below 30hz. Absolutely disappointing as far as that is concerned. If you put a HPF at 30hz, then you at least remove that distortion from the equation, and they don't sound half bad.
Also, they are very difficult to calibrate with built in plate amplifiers. The gain control knob is very finiicky to get around the 75db required values with balancing. Much easier to calibrate with multiple subs with separate amplifiers and passive subs.
My recommendation, bang for the buck, are 2x 18" Dayton Audio Ultimax UM18-22's in 4cu^ sealed enclosures, ran from a NX6000D.
Additionally and 4 x PA-460's ran from another nx6000D in bridged mode. 2 in paralle speakers (4ohm load). really really good midbass.
Next upgrade to that is add the miniDSP2x4HD to sync the subs. You wouldn't need to if you get the xxxx-D version of the behringer amps, as thats the built in DSP version. But if you wanna add BEQ profiles in the future, you'll need the 2x4hd.

Room design looks good. Make sure you really consider all of the audio modals based on the locations of speakers and seat in the room. You maybe able to garner some info from other's builds on the site today, but if accoustics are really important to you, you can reach out to some of the well known members on the forum to get you a really good build plan in that department.. That's gonna be the secret sauce in the end.

Not a fan of smurf tube to speaker locations. Not really necessary as far as I am concerened.. not ofter do you change out the wiring to your speakers. I am a fan of a smurf tube to the PJ location. This is really helpful when you need to add or fix a cable.

Make sure you feed the PJ with a UPS fed power source. This is very important. Also, Like to hear you have enough power in the room. 100 amp service is great. I'd lay it out something like this.

1-20amp lights and power plugs for overall room, chairs, and LED's
1-20amp circuit for subs to front of room, but also run this same circuit to the rack location. This way you can reallocate sub amplifiers if needed.
3-20amp circuits to rack location for all gear. 2x for amplifiers and avr. 1x for UPS and all extra gear.

Make your riser higher. Go with the 1/3 rule and the 2/3 rule. Everything else is subjective.
1/3rd rule. first row seating eye level is 1/3rds up the screen.
2/3rd rule. Second row seating eye level is 2/3rds up the screen.
these will change depending on the height of your screen, the distance away, and the eye height of the first row to determine where the 2nd row heigh needs to be.

PJ - Brighter is better, but auto-tone mapping and brightness help correct those images that are too dark or too bright and make it look 'right'
I like the size of the room. Gives you plenty of space to work with.

I hope this helps. Sorry for being long winded. Wanted to make sure it made sense.
audiomirage likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.0 (Finally Fully Operational )
JVC RS-2000 / Xbox One X / nVidia Shield / DIY treatments
Seymour AV Center Stage 130" 2.35 / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD
iNuke NU6000DSP / iNukeNU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 2x UM18-22 / 12x JBL 12"
11.2(16).6 Atmos/Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #21 of 37 Old 03-08-2019, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm a bit confused about the seating. OP states that a row of 4 is 134". Room is 17' wide = 204". So 204" - 134" = 70". Divide by 2 and that's 35" on each side. The room is nearly wide enough for a row of 5. No reason whatsoever to only go with a row of 3.

Last edited by CameronP; 03-08-2019 at 04:57 PM. Reason: remove long quote
post #22 of 37 Old 03-08-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronP View Post
I'm a bit confused about the seating. OP states that a row of 4 is 134". Room is 17' wide = 204". So 204" - 134" = 70". Divide by 2 and that's 35" on each side. The room is nearly wide enough for a row of 5. No reason whatsoever to only go with a row of 3.
I think the comment is more focused on the best room seat which is centered with 3. But I must share the best seats, with my wife, so I have no choice in the matter, and will be going with 4. Yes, plenty of room for four.
sirjaymz likes this.

post #23 of 37 Old 03-08-2019, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

First and foremost, it is very helpful having drawings and diagrams to discuss the space you are wanting to build. A+ on that for doing that up front.
Additionally, it sounds like you have done some research. This is also helpful for us, as it helps gauge the effort you are willing to put towards educating yourself in the matters. Thank you.

Thank you, I have spent multiple hours or research, with a lot more to come!

I figure it's worth the wait for the new JVC 4k PJ. I have decided to wait many months and go with the JVC RS-2000. I am still waiting as of today. Auto-Tone Mapping, brighter lumens, and overall better support, seems like a better choice.

Yes, in my post #18, I agree and have given up the idea of going with Sony. At this point I may wait until later in this year to see how 4K P.J. progress

Next thing, I like the Denon 8500 .. very good choice.. I however, don't think I would be implementing the Front Wide , as I believe the Dolby Atmos spec is changing, and those are going away in the future. IMHO, the better bang is to go with the x.x.6 top atmos speakers Top front, top middle, top rear, as they will be way more utilized in all aspects of atmos audio than the front wides.

My current plans have no Front Wides in them, only Dolby Atmos 9.1.6 schematic designs. Only my current H.T. setup uses these.

Oppo 203, I wouldn't even bother. Obsolete, and they are out of business. no long term support is going to happen there. Not that the box is bad per se, just I wouldn't want to invest in obsolete equipment. I'd recommend the Xbox One X as a player and gain gaming along with it, and allot of support with MS rather a company that has folded up. Comes with UHD player that is second to only the Panasonic, and if you were to move it to another room, it now supports Solby Vision.

Yeah, specifically purchased the Oppo last year because of this forum and the feedback, to prepare for my upcoming 4k build. I totally forgot that my XBox One X has those features. I will have to give it a try!

As far as 4 seats wide.. I would consider changing that to 3 wide, though you can fit 4, why would you make the best seating spot in the entire room be located on an arm rest???

Point well taken, but as I posted above, wife has made it clear that the compromise must be made cause she watches 90% of all movies with me. So, 4 seats it is!

As far as 'sound proofing'. Though it's mostly only you and your wife, I would at least consider doing double drywall and green glue, and insulation in the walls, as it does help control overall room to room sound when others are there and you and friend are in the room, and the wife and her friend are in another part of the house. Makes for better conversation outside of the room... Also... it's relatively in-expensive WRT the overall cost of a room and the benefit returns of that...

Okay, I think I will readdress this and add the extra material. It definitely will not hurt, and I do not want to add later.

Subwoofers - Plain and simple, ditch the Klipsch subs. I have found that their wiring from the factory is horrible. read my thread to see details. Also, after running REW in the room, I found that they are a significant field of distortion at all harmonics of frequencies below 30hz. Absolutely disappointing as far as that is concerned. If you put a HPF at 30hz, then you at least remove that distortion from the equation, and they don't sound half bad.

Well, not exactly what I wanted to hear, especially since I just purchased two Klipch R-115sw's two days ago, these are going in the front, and I will move the R-112sw's to the rear of my room to have a total of 4 subs. Price was right, so I will have to live with the flaws for now....

Room design looks good. Make sure you really consider all of the audio modals based on the locations of speakers and seat in the room. You maybe able to garner some info from other's builds on the site today, but if acoustics are really important to you, you can reach out to some of the well known members on the forum to get you a really good build plan in that department.. That's gonna be the secret sauce in the end.

This is where I need the help most, I am relying currently on the Dolby Atmos layout only. I have got a few ideas from the forum, but everyone seems to do something different and there seems to be no set standard that I can really tell.

Not a fan of smurf tube to speaker locations. Not really necessary as far as I am concerned.. not often do you change out the wiring to your speakers. I am a fan of a smurf tube to the PJ location. This is really helpful when you need to add or fix a cable.

Agreed, I will only be using the smurf tube for my PJ

Make sure you feed the PJ with a UPS fed power source. This is very important. Also, Like to hear you have enough power in the room. 100 amp service is great. I'd lay it out something like this.

Yes, my current PJ is UPS fed power. Also all equipment is connected to an A/V APC Power conditioner backup.

1-20amp lights and power plugs for overall room, chairs, and LED's
1-20amp circuit for subs to front of room, but also run this same circuit to the rack location. This way you can reallocate sub amplifiers if needed.
3-20amp circuits to rack location for all gear. 2x for amplifiers and avr. 1x for UPS and all extra gear.

Good Advice.

Make your riser higher. Go with the 1/3 rule and the 2/3 rule. Everything else is subjective.
1/3rd rule. first row seating eye level is 1/3rds up the screen.
2/3rd rule. Second row seating eye level is 2/3rds up the screen.
these will change depending on the height of your screen, the distance away, and the eye height of the first row to determine where the 2nd row height needs to be.

This should be about where I am now

I like the size of the room. Gives you plenty of space to work with.

Tried real hard to get the best layout, since I was building from scratch and had not limitations. Based this off of my screen size, needing a 10' ceiling for optimum viewing angle, then the 1.6 x ceiling for width, and 2.6 x ceiling for length rule.

I hope this helps. Sorry for being long winded. Wanted to make sure it made sense.

YES!! This really helps. Again I say thanks!!!!
sirjaymz likes this.

Last edited by audiomirage; 03-08-2019 at 08:44 PM.
post #24 of 37 Old 03-28-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 5115 Post(s)
Liked: 4677
Quote:
Wife want 2 rows of 4. But I see you point. I like the 3 idea cause I would get the middle chair!!

Here is a pic of what it looks like from above with seating as I have planned. As you can see, my main focus is on the front row. 90% it will just be the wife and I. I have attempted to pattern this seating position as close as possible to the one provided by Dolby.
Very nice plan. I really enjoy the OMD-28/C2s. I have them in storage and haven't been able to part with them.

WAF notwithstanding, I would normally insist that you have a center seat on either the first or second row. However, the Mirage OMD-28, C2 and 5 speakers cast such a wide image I don't think it is crucial. Have you chosen seats yet? How about a love seat in the front center?

Audyssey is my bigger concern as I have never had great success with it and the OMDs. I never gave the Audyssey mobile app a spin so it could very well work to your satisfaction. Since you are building the room from the ground up, you may find that another processor/Room EQ may be a better fit for you.

Quote:
So basically the bottom line is lumens. The more the better.
It's more than that. You've got to dig deeper than the marketing slicks. You have a large screen to light up but contrast affects your perception of brightness as well as black. The JVCs outshine the Sonys in this area and it is an appreciable difference IME.
Quote:
I was under the assumption that my new Denon AVR-X8500H Receiver handled some of the video processing that you mention. Is this not so? Below is their advertised statement.
Nope, no effective video processing other than OSD (volume) overlay. Marketing strikes again.
Quote:
And does my new Oppo UDP-203 4k have any effect regarding this? I now see it has been discontinued...
Hold on to the Oppo IMO. It was smart of you to grab one. I have two as well as a Xbox and prefer the Oppo.
audiomirage likes this.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 03-28-2019 at 08:09 PM.
post #25 of 37 Old 03-28-2019, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. I just purchased the Audyssey Mobile App, so I will have to learn it and give it a try. And yes, the first row of seating will have a love-seat in the center of the row.

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Yesterday I ran the excavator all day and got all the material moved, today was gravel and compacting day. I pick up re bar and form boards tomorrow. Saturday is concrete form day. Then it is wait for inspection so we can get the concrete poured.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0361.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2545686  
Marc Alexander likes this.

Last edited by audiomirage; 03-28-2019 at 10:07 PM.
post #26 of 37 Old 04-13-2019, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Poured Concrete this morning. Setting block next week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	concrete form.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	2552498  
p3bham and Marc Alexander like this.

post #27 of 37 Old 04-22-2019, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Concrete Blocks set.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	2557100  

post #28 of 37 Old 04-30-2019, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

PROGRESS UPDATE:

Floor Joists installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	floorjoist.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2560832  

post #29 of 37 Old 05-01-2019, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't know if you can do it in the software, but I would try extending the front row seating flat and the rear seating flat. I feel, from the pictures, that your guests in the back row are going to be putting their feet into the front row's space. Your room dimensions are similar to mine and I dealt with that problem too late in the game.

Chip-
post #30 of 37 Old 05-01-2019, 05:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 786
I don't know the answer but I do wonder just how well how does the up firing nature of the fronts, will mesh with TMOs overhead speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page