Like many, long term lurker, but made a new account given I’ll be talking about the privacy of my home.
When I clarify it is not a “man cave” but rather “adult cave,” the reactions have been creepy enough that I’ve become fond of the term.
The basement is now dug-down so I can stand up even AFTER I soundproof the ceiling. Now that the masons are done, it’s GO TIME!
16x13x7.5, with a tiny alcove off to the side for a murphy bed:
- multi-purpose: video games, movies, TV, music
- some display cabinets for nerdy stuff i cant bring upstairs
- hi-res audio
- dual subs strongly preferred
- seating for 6
- in-ceiling atmos
- 5.2.4 atmos (preferred 7.2.4)
- acoustic panels doubling as fabric-printed movie posters and album art
- more money spent on items that age well (amplifiers, speakers)
- motorized AT screen if I cant find a projector that will handle games
- 4K UHD-“ish” projector
- in-wall surround speakers
- 2 rows with a riser for second row
(pardon i couldn’t find a better screen)
The gear (not wedded to anything)
- considering Chane a2.4’s for LCR for performance/cost ratio
- considered Sierra-2’s as well
- inexpensive Micca-8’s for ceiling atmos
- unclear on surrounds (big bonus if they are architectural and don’t need elaborate backer boxes to preserve the soundproofing
- 2x Rhytmik vs HSU vs SVS, very interested in people’s thoughts here
- sigh, I really want to have my own amps for mo great reason other than I’ve always wanted them
- considering Monoprice vs Outlaw vs Emotiva, 3 big channels for LCR, smallsr for the rest
- flirting with Marantz 880$ pre-amp
- would consider a good old AV receiver
- investigating hires audio sources based on the DAC of whatever i go with
Looking forward to a regularly maintained, pic-heavy WIP.