The Dawkness Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #31 of 52 Old 07-04-2019, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 28
How would you seal the doors? In my case the weather strips don't look well on doors. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 07-04-2019, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwz View Post
How would you seal the doors? In my case the weather strips don't look well on doors. Thanks.
You mean at the base where the two floor surfaces meet? I'll have to discuss with the builder but there will have to be some kind of threshold. I want it to be low profile to be easy on the feet. The FLOOR carpet tiles are about 1/8" thick. I'm thinking maybe just a piece of painted steel.
post #33 of 52 Old 07-04-2019, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Happy Independence Day to my friends in the US! To my surprise the guys worked a half day today getting a head start on framing. They're a hard working pair of guys. It's nice having 2 of the builder's staff doing most of the work throughout the project vs various subcontractors coming and going.

I ordered 2 50' rolls of 1.5" Resi-Gard orange conduit for the low voltage wiring. My current thinking is to run everything into the room in conduit termininated in backer boxes. One run to each major zone in the room and then final runs along the wall/ceiling hidden behind acoustic panels, etc. I'm just looking for a clean install and flexibility for future upgrades.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 07-05-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavinator View Post
You mean at the base where the two floor surfaces meet? I'll have to discuss with the builder but there will have to be some kind of threshold. I want it to be low profile to be easy on the feet. The FLOOR carpet tiles are about 1/8" thick. I'm thinking maybe just a piece of painted steel.
In the soundproof section, you said "Seals & automatic door bottoms". I just wonder how you would seal the door. Perhaps I misunderstood?
post #35 of 52 Old 07-05-2019, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwz View Post
In the soundproof section, you said "Seals & automatic door bottoms". I just wonder how you would seal the door. Perhaps I misunderstood?
From the soundproofing company inc (as an example)

[...Adjustable Door Jamb Stop
Secured directly to the door jamb, these acoustical gaskets feature our unique Compress-O-Matic™ design with a sound-absorbing neoprene bulb that compresses to form a tight seal as the door is closed.

Both models include adjusting screws for field correction of irregular clearances that might compromise actual sound performance.

When used with a metal cased-opening frame, the #770 offers the added benefit of eliminating the need for an additional frame stop–and its unaesthetic projection into the door opening.

The gasket is also listed for use with both wood and metal acoustical doors with fire listings ranging from 20 to 90 minutes under both negative a positive-pressure testing standard. It is exceptional engineering, design features, and performance have made the #770 our long-time favorite for acoustical engineers and specifier.

Features
UL Rated
Aluminum Finish
Solid neoprene seal - weatherproof and remains flexible in extreme temperatures.
Fully Adjustable upto .3 inches
Installed as surface mounted
Easily Trimmable...]"

etc.. I think that is what he is talking about.

Aaron

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Panasonic, OPPO
post #36 of 52 Old 07-05-2019, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha. The specs I gave to contractor call for "Zero International perimeter door seals and automatic door bottom". I haven't sought out specific models yet. I like the #8878 though because it has concealed screws for a clean look. https://www.tmhardware.com/Door-Gask...Ring-Seal.html
post #37 of 52 Old 07-05-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.M. View Post
From the soundproofing company inc (as an example)

[...Adjustable Door Jamb Stop
Secured directly to the door jamb, these acoustical gaskets feature our unique Compress-O-Matic™ design with a sound-absorbing neoprene bulb that compresses to form a tight seal as the door is closed.

Both models include adjusting screws for field correction of irregular clearances that might compromise actual sound performance.

When used with a metal cased-opening frame, the #770 offers the added benefit of eliminating the need for an additional frame stop–and its unaesthetic projection into the door opening.

The gasket is also listed for use with both wood and metal acoustical doors with fire listings ranging from 20 to 90 minutes under both negative a positive-pressure testing standard. It is exceptional engineering, design features, and performance have made the #770 our long-time favorite for acoustical engineers and specifier.

Features
UL Rated
Aluminum Finish
Solid neoprene seal - weatherproof and remains flexible in extreme temperatures.
Fully Adjustable upto .3 inches
Installed as surface mounted
Easily Trimmable...]"

etc.. I think that is what he is talking about.

Aaron
Thanks. That's a lot to digest for me.

Quote:
Gotcha. The specs I gave to contractor call for "Zero International perimeter door seals and automatic door bottom". I haven't sought out specific models yet. I like the #8878 though because it has concealed screws for a clean look. https://www.tmhardware.com/Door-Gask...Ring-Seal.html
Looks good.

Last edited by toddwz; 07-05-2019 at 10:34 AM.
post #38 of 52 Old 07-22-2019, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

The slab was poured almost three weeks ago and now the first floor framing is done and the first layer of suboor is going down on the 2nd floor (say that 3 times fast) .

The heart of the whole theater arrived today. I picked up a refurbished Marantz AV7704 from Accessories for Less. I was putting off big electronics purchases like this but I hadn't seen any refurbs come up for sale in a while and none of the newer models really add anything I need so it made sense to jump on it now.
post #39 of 52 Old 07-23-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 1366 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Send a message via MSN to Ladeback
Quote:
The slab was poured almost three weeks ago and now the first floor framing is done and the first layer of suboor is going down on the 2nd floor (say that 3 times fast) .

The heart of the whole theater arrived today. I picked up a refurbished Marantz AV7704 from Accessories for Less. I was putting off big electronics purchases like this but I hadn't seen any refurbs come up for sale in a while and none of the newer models really add anything I need so it made sense to jump on it now.
What are you going to use for amps with you AV7704?

Klipsch KPS-400’s FR/FL with built in 15” 300 watt side firing subs, RC-7 Center, RS-3 Surrounds.
Integra DHC-60.5, 5- Marantz MA700 Mono Blocks, Pioneer DV-F727 301 Disk DVD CD Changer, Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/DVD/CD Player, Sony PS3.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...ck-cinema.html
post #40 of 52 Old 07-23-2019, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladeback View Post
What are you going to use for amps with you AV7704?
The plan is Crown XLS 1002 amps all around.
Ladeback likes this.
post #41 of 52 Old 07-28-2019, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I have a question for the soundproofing experts. I've attached pictures of one side of the double stud wall that separates the theater from the equipment closet. As you can see, there's a 2x8 strung along the wall to support the floor joists. Double drywall and Green Glue are planned for both sides of the wall. What can I do to treat below the subfloor? Should I just not worry about it and stuff with R19?
post #42 of 52 Old 07-28-2019, 06:17 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5739 Post(s)
Liked: 5299
You can use sound isolation methods on the floor, Float another 3/4 inch subfloor on top of the thick rubber pad. Horse stall mats from Tractor supply are value rubber pads. They should look like ground up tires glued together. Yes insulation below.
post #43 of 52 Old 07-28-2019, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff. I've already instructed them about horse stall mats under the theater side of the double stud wall. In fact they've already cut them to size for that so it shouldn't be a problem. It looks like there's space to do multiple layers of subfloor plus rubber mat and still match the existing floor height.

This sounds easier than installing short 16" sections of double drywall and Green Glue on the theater side of that wall which is one solution I was thinking of.
post #44 of 52 Old 07-31-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

The second floor framing is underway. Most of the wall sections are up.

I found an OK deal on a rack mount kit for the AV7704. The package said it was for the 8803 but it fit so I'm pleased. I also played around with the pre-pro using a minimal setup with just left and right channels connected to my master bedroom zone and playing the Shield through my bedroom UST projector.

Lastly, the first row recliners showed up this morning. We delayed the delivery as long as possible. We're running out of space to store theater furniture!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190731_092334-02.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	2596784
post #45 of 52 Old 08-01-2019, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Green Glue veteran users: what's the best way to reseal a partially used tube? I haven't been able to find a screw cap that will fit 29oz tubes.

I'm going to build a few backer boxes soon which will require just a small amount of GG and I don't want to waste any unused portion of the Green Glue or sealant.

We should be calling it Green GOLD its so expensive.
post #46 of 52 Old 08-01-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 749
post #47 of 52 Old 08-02-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Green Glue veteran users: what's the best way to reseal a partially used tube? I haven't been able to find a screw cap that will fit 29oz tubes.

I'm going to build a few backer boxes soon which will require just a small amount of GG and I don't want to waste any unused portion of the Green Glue or sealant.

We should be calling it Green GOLD its so expensive.
How about a dab of silicone sealant and a screw?
post #48 of 52 Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

I ordered a pack of the things I don't want to type the name of suggested by impreza276. I had been looking for a nice positive seal, ideally a cap that screwed on like the nozzle does so I'll settle for these.
impreza276 likes this.
post #49 of 52 Old 08-02-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
I ordered a pack of the things I don't want to type the name of suggested by impreza276. I had been looking for a nice positive seal, ideally a cap that screwed on like the nozzle does so I'll settle for these.
They are great. I used to wrap my caulk nozzles with painter's tape, but after switching to these I never looked back. It's good to have protection!
post #50 of 52 Old 08-08-2019, 09:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 59
It's coming along nicely. Sorry, I've been gone, or I would have commented on your questions. Keep it up.

Aaron

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Panasonic, OPPO
post #51 of 52 Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

We had quite a lot of rain starting early this morning. On my way to work I got a call from my wife that we had water coming in the living room so I had to turn around and deal with the leak. I was absolutely drenched by the time I was done. I had to change out of ALL my clothes.

Over the last couple of weeks the construction guys have taken down siding and started to graft in the addition to the new house starting with a ~18 inch square hole to place a beam. Despite their efforts to protect it all from rain, we'll, to loosely quote Jeff Goldblum: water... uh... finds... a, way.

It was running across the new subfloor and into a little gap in the old sheathing.

I called the project manager and now there's a giant blue tarp.

Ladeback and A.T.M. like this.
post #52 of 52 Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Great start I'm sure this is going to end up awesome

Roll Tide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version