The Lion's Lair Theater Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1 of 37 Old 03-24-2019, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
The Lion's Lair Theater Build

The Lion's Lair

Background:
We built this home in 2017, the thought going in was to have a clean slate for a basement where I could design it and have it how I wanted it. I had a goal in mind to have a home theater, home gym, entertainment/bar area, then the remaining will be unfinished storage. My vision of the dedicated home theater is to be used for movie watch, gaming, sporting events, potential party space.

Space:
I know, I know the theater isn’t exactly rectangle because of the back “hitch”. My plan is to place a bar in that area for 3-4 seats. The dimensions a bit off being that the width being a 16’-4’’ instead of 16’-10’ and the length including the “hitch” being 30’-2’’ instead of 30’-4’’. The height is 8’-9.5’’.

Design:
The goal is to be simplistic and modern will considering the WAF. I’m gong for a dark theme, probably mostly blacks and greys. I would like to have 2 rolls of 4 seats with a bar that seats 3-4 people in the “hitch” area. Row 2 and the bar being on a riser. I would also like to build a stage under the screen and false wall. The A/V and networking room will be in the storage area.

Specs:
I will update this list as I buy items and decisions are made or changed 😊. I have thoughts about the tech that will go in the room but haven’t purchased anything.

• Room Dimensions: 16’4’’ x 30’2’’ x 8’9.5’’
  • HVAC: Adding 2 supplies and 1 return
  • Sound Isolation: 5/8’’ double wall with green glue, clips & hat channel, some fiberglass insulation, solid core door with sealing, and putty pads for outlets.
  • Screen: 160-170’’ 16:9 screen. Maybe a DIY using Seymour Center Stage XD fabric??
  • Speakers: Not sure yet. But going with a 7.2.4 system
  • Receiver: Leaning towards Denon X6500H
  • Project: Either JVC NX5/RS1000 or Sony VPL-VW295ES
  • Seating: Not sure yet.

Last edited by LLDaLastDon; 03-24-2019 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-24-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Status as of 3/23/19

Status as of 3/23/19:
I have framed the room, ran electrical, ran HVAC, and ran low voltage. I have started marking the studs for the isolation clips. I am getting close to drywall.

My current dilemmas are with these two small windows. I am not sure what to do with them. The one closes to the back is in the ideal place for where I want to put a column . The other is just far enough from the front wall to allow for the false wall. I am thinking about covering up the back window to allow for my column, but don’t know what the ramifications are. I also want to do something about the one closest to the front. Possibly, doing something “crafty” to close it off when not needed but open it up when needed, shrugs.

Larry L.

My Theater Build - The Lion's Lair
post #3 of 37 Old 03-24-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 902
Four wide seating in your width isn't something ideal come audio.

Why so long? You could have shortened the room, and hide more of that awkward soffit up front, in a bigger storage space, and in an AT space.
There's a bunch of reasons why maybe that third bar row isn't so great an idea, if you can warp your head around investing some room depth into
a better performing room.

Between the AT space, shorter room, and window locations, a shift might just move the windows out of where you need columns.

Do you even need columns, if you used in wall speakers for surrounds?

Last edited by Tedd; 03-24-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Four wide seating in your width isn't something ideal come audio.

Why so long? You could have shortened the room, and hide more of that awkward soffit up front, in a bigger storage space, and in an AT space.
There's a bunch of reasons why maybe that third bar row isn't so great an idea, if you can warp your head around investing some room depth into
a better performing room.

Between the AT space, shorter room, and window locations, a shift might just move the windows out of where you need columns.

Do you even need columns, if you used in wall speakers for surrounds?
Thanks and I appreciate your insight!

I have a big family and we entertain a lot and the width for 4 wide seating still would give me a little over 3 feet on each side for walk way.
The front soffit will not be seen because it will be behind the false wall. I wanted it longer for the third bar row when entertaining. We do a lot of karaoke . I don't really need columns if I use in wall speakers. I would just need to build backer boxes for them. Columns just seems to give the room the theater feeling. I not really an audiophile, so I'm okay with sacrificing perfect sound for more space.

Larry L.

post #5 of 37 Old 03-25-2019, 05:16 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 438 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5867 Post(s)
Liked: 5432

If you are interested I can tell you how to save some headroom under the duct work.
instead of adding clips and channel to the bulkhead framing hang an isolated box off the decoupled walls and ceiling. Right now you have to add clips to the framing and then drywall. so you will have 1 1/2 inches for the horizontal frame and 1 1/4 inches for the clips and channel, You could eliminate both and save 2 3/4 inches and still preserve you sound isolation plans. But you would have to take down what you've built and start over, you could reuse the lumber.
ScottAvery likes this.
post #6 of 37 Old 03-25-2019, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

If you are interested I can tell you how to save some headroom under the duct work.
instead of adding clips and channel to the bulkhead framing hang an isolated box off the decoupled walls and ceiling. Right now you have to add clips to the framing and then drywall. so you will have 1 1/2 inches for the horizontal frame and 1 1/4 inches for the clips and channel, You could eliminate both and save 2 3/4 inches and still preserve you sound isolation plans. But you would have to take down what you've built and start over, you could reuse the lumber.
I somewhat understand what you mean somewhat. I'm trying to picture how to hang it around the obstructions, specifically on the horizontal bottom side. Do you have any examples of this I can reference?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Larry L.

post #7 of 37 Old 03-25-2019, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Subscribed. Looking forward to seeing how this comes out
LLDaLastDon likes this.

Roll Tide.
post #8 of 37 Old 03-25-2019, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

@BIGmouthinDC, Are you referring to what was done on the Beast Unleashed build to mirror the other soffit in this video.

Also, is that you helping out? If it's not, it sure looks like your picture

Larry L.

post #9 of 37 Old 03-25-2019, 11:41 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 438 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5867 Post(s)
Liked: 5432
that's me, you tack a rail on the drywalled decoupled walls. For the wide section I would use 5/8 plywood for the first layer on the bottom of the soffits then GG and 5/8 DW.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo-2014-11-25-21-02-31_6819-L2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	2544160  
post #10 of 37 Old 03-25-2019, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
that's me, you tack a rail on the drywalled decoupled walls. For the wide section I would use 5/8 plywood for the first layer on the bottom of the soffits then GG and 5/8 DW.
Awesome! Is there a particular gauge you recommend? Would this type along with something like this to attach to the wall suffice? If so, wouldn't that save me 1.25'' of head space instead of 2.75'', because the 1.5'' furring strip width attached to the decoupled wall? Sorry, not trying to second guest you. I'm just trying to be sure that I understand you.

Larry L.

post #11 of 37 Old 04-29-2019, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

It's been a while. I'm slowly making progress. I have completed the insulation of the walls and clips and hat channel on walls and ceiling. Next I have backer boxes and insulation of the ceiling.

sigma722 likes this.

Larry L.

post #12 of 37 Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 576
You could also use a space-saver style theater chair to save some width. I used the RTheater Jive and find them plenty comfortable. My theater is 16' (closer to 15' 11") wide after OSB/drywall/GG/hat channel&clips and would have liked to have gone 4 seats wide but I could not find anyone to put in a beam so I could get my support posts out of the way. I have plenty of room in my isles. Here are some pics to give you an idea. I used the curved seats so you could save even more room going with straight rows of seating. Straight rows save another 6+ inches over curved.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1790.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	670.3 KB
ID:	2560476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1791.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	2560478  
LLDaLastDon likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #13 of 37 Old 04-30-2019, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
You could also use a space-saver style theater chair to save some width. I used the RTheater Jive and find them plenty comfortable. My theater is 16' (closer to 15' 11") wide after OSB/drywall/GG/hat channel&clips and would have liked to have gone 4 seats wide but I could not find anyone to put in a beam so I could get my support posts out of the way. I have plenty of room in my isles. Here are some pics to give you an idea. I used the curved seats so you could save even more room going with straight rows of seating. Straight rows save another 6+ inches over curved.
Nice theater! I'm definitely going to look into those seats. I would like to find some that have the motorized headrest. Also, nice dog!

brazensol likes this.

Larry L.

post #14 of 37 Old 06-02-2019, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Backerboxes Complete

It's been awhile since I've posted an update. Grabbed some MDF, did a TON of measuring, cutting, glueing, and nailing. All backer boxes are done and have been installed.

I also picked up my AV receiver. It was pretty much half the price of its MSRP!!

pkinneb, p3bham and Ladeback like this.

Larry L.

post #15 of 37 Old 07-31-2019, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Had to take a break in the theater for personal reasons then I was or if the country for a few weeks. I for the drywall delivered before I left the country. I started drywalling the week. Slowly but surely making more progress. I also got my DIYSG 1099s and HT-8s kits.

p3bham and pkinneb like this.

Larry L.

post #16 of 37 Old 08-28-2019, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm make progress on the drywall. I'm starting the 2nd layer. I have sealed all gaps using Acoustic sealant. Question though... Do I need to use the acoustic sealant on the 2nd layer of drywall even if the first layer is already sealed using the sealant? Or will the tapping and mudding take care of it?

Larry L.

post #17 of 37 Old 08-28-2019, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Just mud and tape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLDaLastDon View Post
Do I need to use the acoustic sealant on the 2nd layer of drywall even if the first layer is already sealed using the sealant? Or will the tapping and mudding take care of it?

Yes. Just mud and tape. Nothing else needed.
LLDaLastDon likes this.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #18 of 37 Old 08-28-2019, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
Yes. Just mud and tape. Nothing else needed.
Thanks! I was thinking I needes to do another round of acoustic sealant after the 2nd layer of drywall is hung.

Larry L.

post #19 of 37 Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 575
Quote:
Thanks! I was thinking I needes to do another round of acoustic sealant after the 2nd layer of drywall is hung.

Maybe on the floor to wall angle, but not on anything else.. seems like mud and tape would make it 'finished' and sealed.

HT1.0 | HT2.05
JVC RS-2000 / Seymour AV Center Stage 130"diag, 2.35 / nVidia Shield
11.2(22).6 Atmos / Denon 7200WA / Denon 6300 / 2x miniDSP2x4HD / DIY treatments
2x NU6000DSP / 2x NU3000DSP / 2x Klipsch R-112SW / 4x UM18-22 / 4x PA-460 / 12x JBL 12"
Klipsch RF-82/RC-64II/RS-42/RS-41/BS-62/CDT3800-C-II
post #20 of 37 Old 08-29-2019, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjaymz View Post
Maybe on the floor to wall angle, but not on anything else.. seems like mud and tape would make it 'finished' and sealed.
Yeah. I was thinking at a minimum I would do the floor to wall angle again. Thanks for your help. That's going to save me a little be of time and money.

Larry L.

post #21 of 37 Old 09-09-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

I made some more progress on hanging the second layer of drywall over the weekend. I finished the ceiling,  the back wall and started on the left wall. I have a stretch goal to have all the drywall hung by end of this coming weekend. We'll see...

Sorry, for the mess.  Hanging drywall gets very messy. 

p3bham, pkinneb and impreza276 like this.

Larry L.

post #22 of 37 Old 09-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Looks great! That's a lot of work.
LLDaLastDon likes this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #23 of 37 Old 09-09-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
Looks great! That's a lot of work.
Thanks! I feel like it's taken me forever to get to this point.

Larry L.

post #24 of 37 Old 09-09-2019, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Thanks! I feel like it's taken me forever to get to this point.

I hear you I am 13 months into my 4 month basement project LOL
LLDaLastDon likes this.

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
post #25 of 37 Old 09-20-2019, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quick update:

I'm just about done with hanging the drywall. My goal is to be done within the next week. I've been getting quotes on mudding and taping. So ready to move onto the riser and stage build.

Also, I've been eyeballing the 6050ub for my projector for a while, but right when I was going to pull the trigger I came across a deal on this badboy...

Wasn't on my radar because of the price. But man oh man... found the right deal at the right time. I'm super excited to see it in action!!

Larry L.

post #26 of 37 Old 09-21-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Nice score!
LLDaLastDon likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #27 of 37 Old 09-21-2019, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Nice score!
Thanks!

brazensol likes this.

Larry L.

post #28 of 37 Old 09-23-2019, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Wasn't on my radar because of the price. But man oh man... found the right deal at the right time. I'm super excited to see it in action!!
Whoa! Nice score!!!

Roll Tide.
post #29 of 37 Old 10-02-2019, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Started and got halfway through the decoupled soffit. Framed it, stuffed it with insulation and added the first layer of drywall. Next is applying sealant then GG w/ the second layer.

Rjloper9, pkinneb, p3bham and 1 others like this.

Larry L.

post #30 of 37 Old 10-15-2019, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Drywall Hanging Complete!

So I am officially done with hanging drywall!

Next I cut the holes for the lights and atmos speakers

Finally, I can see!! We have LIGHTS!

I have also ordered my stage and riser materials. They should arrive within the next week. So in the meantime, I will be doing my last bit of acoustic sealing and chalking out my lines for the riser and stage. I'm also in talks with a few drywall companies to mud and tape the theater. If time permits this week, I will start building my crossovers for my DIYSG 1099s and HT-8s.

Larry L.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page