Need/Want input on new theater design - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #31 of 64 Old 06-04-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 690
I'm thinking maybe you need to figure out why you don't use the dedicated room as much as you'd like? You may find an open concept room won't get used anymore than the closed.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 06-04-2019, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
I'm thinking maybe you need to figure out why you don't use the dedicated room as much as you'd like? You may find an open concept room won't get used anymore than the closed.
We've thought about that a ton, and the reality is there's a level of effort in going in there, there's the fact that we're very social and some people want the "big tv" while others have a stronger desire to be in and out, up and down, etc... It's hard to do that in a dedicated room.

Am I crazy and are we unique, or does that make sense to others? We've got 4 boys and there's often a dozen kids at our house. We have adults friends and their kids that come over...we use the TV's all the time as we can mill around and what not - we don't often devote to sitting down for 2 hours and it's disruptive to everyone in the theater when you're opening/closer the door, etc... I feel like this will eliminate that.
brazensol likes this.
post #33 of 64 Old 06-04-2019, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
We've thought about that a ton, and the reality is there's a level of effort in going in there, there's the fact that we're very social and some people want the "big tv" while others have a stronger desire to be in and out, up and down, etc... It's hard to do that in a dedicated room.

Am I crazy and are we unique, or does that make sense to others? We've got 4 boys and there's often a dozen kids at our house. We have adults friends and their kids that come over...we use the TV's all the time as we can mill around and what not - we don't often devote to sitting down for 2 hours and it's disruptive to everyone in the theater when you're opening/closer the door, etc... I feel like this will eliminate that.
It makes sense, but then question the idea of a theater room if you are so social. My wife and are are very social outside the house, but always make a point of at minimum 2 nights at home just us, and we are huge movie people, so it was a no brainer for a theater room. Not to mention nights where the other spouse is busy and when home alone consists of zoning out watching TV or a movie.

If you are more social with having people over it seems that what you are looking for is just an open basement with a bar, social area/game area, and then a really nice big TV or goo ambient light projector so everyone can mingle. Sounds more like what I expect to find at a superbowl party. Not saying not to ddo your theater, but it definitely sounds like your family isn't setup to truly enjoy a dedicated theater, and it sounds like you admit that as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 64 Old 06-04-2019, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russdornisch View Post
It makes sense, but then question the idea of a theater room if you are so social. My wife and are are very social outside the house, but always make a point of at minimum 2 nights at home just us, and we are huge movie people, so it was a no brainer for a theater room. Not to mention nights where the other spouse is busy and when home alone consists of zoning out watching TV or a movie.

If you are more social with having people over it seems that what you are looking for is just an open basement with a bar, social area/game area, and then a really nice big TV or goo ambient light projector so everyone can mingle. Sounds more like what I expect to find at a superbowl party. Not saying not to ddo your theater, but it definitely sounds like your family isn't setup to truly enjoy a dedicated theater, and it sounds like you admit that as well.
Which is precisely why I'm doing it this way. The dedicated room is great when we use it, but we don't use it all that often and feel like this will get use a lot more.
post #35 of 64 Old 06-05-2019, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Could you do some corners, in the back, to host ATMOS rear surrounds, and leave the rest open? That might cost you a seat in the back row.

The entry/exit disruption could be solved with an entry like The Savoy's. Until I actually saw it in use, I never fully grasped just how awesome it actually is.

If you built to high standards, with a solid plan, you could always enclose the room down the road, if ever so desired. I am firmly in the dedicated camp. Had the beautiful
open concept basement and it was always a volume issue, with nobody being happy.
post #36 of 64 Old 06-07-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Could you do some corners, in the back, to host ATMOS rear surrounds, and leave the rest open? That might cost you a seat in the back row.

The entry/exit disruption could be solved with an entry like The Savoy's. Until I actually saw it in use, I never fully grasped just how awesome it actually is.

If you built to high standards, with a solid plan, you could always enclose the room down the road, if ever so desired. I am firmly in the dedicated camp. Had the beautiful
open concept basement and it was always a volume issue, with nobody being happy.
Are you saying to essentially create a vestibule?
post #37 of 64 Old 06-10-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was just thinking some small floor to ceiling walls, so one could aim some speakers, either behind AT fabric, or just on speaker brackets that allow you to aim the speakers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theater Layout.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	756.5 KB
ID:	2578642  
post #38 of 64 Old 08-06-2019, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I don't know that there's much point in posting progress here as it doesn't seem to interesting compared to what others here are doing, but the drywall is up and things are moving along nicely. Here's a couple of quick cell phone pics. For now, I've decided NOT to do a stage, but I'm wondering if I'm going to regret that and may call an audible...putting a stage in at the last minute. They serve no purpose other than looking cool, but they sure do look cool!

At any rate, I ended up going with the bar behind the riser. I think it's going to turn out great. I set the bar in to the theater a bit, so when you're sitting/standing at the bar you're still in the theater/out of the living room. The 2 windows in the living room that the theater opens up to, will have motorized blackout shades on them, so when I want to I really darken the space. I have DMX LED Strip light going behind crown molding inside of the trayed ceiling, and also on the underside of the bar (those metal rod looking things are to support the bars countertop). I put the rear surrounds out behind the bar, so when standing at the bar you still have them behind you.

Hope to be in the house 2.5 months from now. Things are starting to happen quick!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4056.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	771.0 KB
ID:	2599910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8398.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	837.8 KB
ID:	2599914  
Luddy111dog and pkinneb like this.
post #39 of 64 Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I personally think clean neat lines, can indeed be interesting. But I bet the screen and lighting will add lots of drama on their own and that room will
indeed look awesome.

I like stages, but I actually prefer the simplistic look of a large video image floating on a black hole of a screen wall.

But even a straight and low and shallow stage can change the look of a room.
dhendriksen likes this.
post #40 of 64 Old 09-09-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

So, hoping some people will see this. I'm getting ready to order my screen, projector and AVR.

I did Monitor Audio speakers and Episode subs. Those are all installed (subs are still in the box as we haven't carpeted yet) and ready to rock.

As far as these other items go, I'm leaning towards the Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro with the thin velvet bezel and Slate 1.2 AT fabric. For the PJ, the Epson 6050. Lastly, the AVR I think I've settled on is the Integra 5.3.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or suggestions for other items I should consider over these? The only real sense of pause I have is around the screen. Those are sweet, but that's a chunk of change. I could save some money and go with the Fixed 5 screen - same material, but no light kit and a fatter bezel.

Thanks in advance for your input.
post #41 of 64 Old 09-09-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
So, hoping some people will see this. I'm getting ready to order my screen, projector and AVR.

I did Monitor Audio speakers and Episode subs. Those are all installed (subs are still in the box as we haven't carpeted yet) and ready to rock.

As far as these other items go, I'm leaning towards the Screen Innovations Zero Edge Pro with the thin velvet bezel and Slate 1.2 AT fabric. For the PJ, the Epson 6050. Lastly, the AVR I think I've settled on is the Integra 5.3.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom or suggestions for other items I should consider over these? The only real sense of pause I have is around the screen. Those are sweet, but that's a chunk of change. I could save some money and go with the Fixed 5 screen - same material, but no light kit and a fatter bezel.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Construction is looking great!

I personally would forgo the thin bezel and go with a wider velvet masking to give a clean edge to the image. What matters is what is on screen when the pj is on, not how the screen looks when it is off. Unless the front wall is all black velvet, in which case I could see having the thin bezel as the velvet would take care of masking.

I have had Onkyo/Integra products for 10-12 years and this (3rd) AVR will be my last. Going to pay a little more for Denon/Marantz and have some peace of mind.
post #42 of 64 Old 09-09-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For the PJ, the Epson 6050.
Missed your projector choice. Personally I think Epson overprices the 6000 series. They strip anamorphic lens support from the 5000 series to mark up the 6000s. I'd want to compare that both price and performance against either the previous generation JVC (790/540) or current (1000/nx5).
post #43 of 64 Old 09-09-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAvery View Post
Missed your projector choice. Personally I think Epson overprices the 6000 series. They strip anamorphic lens support from the 5000 series to mark up the 6000s. I'd want to compare that both price and performance against either the previous generation JVC (790/540) or current (1000/nx5).

Thanks for that suggestion. I’ll definitely take a look. Regarding Marantz...that’s what I have now. I’ve only had one problem but it’s a pretty big one - one of the HDMI inputs just died. It didn’t take very long either, and the warranty process either wouldn’t cover it or was more hassle than it was worth (I can’t remember).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #44 of 64 Old 09-09-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

My Integra pre-pro randomly bluescreens the HDMI picture and my Onkyo 818 lost all audio. Have an RZ830 now which does fine with only 4 atmos channels driven, but it is really flimsy by comparison to the older units.
post #45 of 64 Old 09-15-2019, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

After additional research, I decided to stick with my original list. Got everything ordered yesterday. I’m hoping Screen Innovations does their stuff quickly as it looks like we’re just 3-4 weeks away from moving in and I want to get this all in place before we make the move.

It doesn’t seem as if there’s any interest, but I’ll go ahead and post pictures once it’s all in.

JohnnyWilkinson likes this.
post #46 of 64 Old 09-15-2019, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
It doesn’t seem as if there’s any interest, but I’ll go ahead and post pictures once it’s all in.
There's interest - it's just a slow moving forum. Look forward to seeing your updates

---------------

My build thread
post #47 of 64 Old 09-15-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Lots of pics are the best way to generate interest.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP; (2) iNuke NX3000D; (3) HTM-12; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" DA RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) DA UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) DA RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers; BOSS Platform - (12) 12" Subwoofers
post #48 of 64 Old 09-23-2019, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

The rack on the right is the makings of what will be coming with me to the new house. The one on the left will be staying in my current place.

post #49 of 64 Old 09-26-2019, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just noticed this thread, mention of 4 kids.

We've seen a bit of a small trend making the theater a dual purpose room for teaching. Some installing electronic or reverseable white boards behind the screen, flip up or traditional desktops, direct lighting on certain seating for skype/web conferencing, monitors on side walls, etc. The room is use for a bit of home schooling, or completion of homework, with all the kids.

In the Arcadia area of Phoenix there are some families that rotate using the same theater room. One or two parents teaches all their kids while the other parents prepare dinner, or vice versa after dinner. The trend of large fireplaces/pits in front yards then brings everyone together outside later. It's very interesting. I've been told its more about creating the habit of learning then the actual learning itself - time management.

When the kids grow up and move out you can always seal up the bar wall
post #50 of 64 Old 10-19-2019, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we moved in yesterday and today...check out this pic. Lights on, sun out, and still a very bright and beautiful picture. More to come, but LOVING this setup.

post #51 of 64 Old 10-28-2019, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

So - I have to say, I’m continually both further impressed with this setup, and continually happier that I went with the “open concept”.

In the attached pics, you can see how bright and vivid the picture is. This is shooting on to a 140” screen innovations slate 1.2 AT screen with an Epson 6050. Holy smokes.

In the first picture, we’ve got 12 can lights (5”) on in the attached living room and 3 can lights (4”) over the bar (all at 100% brightness) but all the theater lights are off.

In the second pic I turned on the 6 side can lights (4” cans) to 100%.

In the third pic I also added the 2 front can lights (4” cans) to 100%.

In the fourth I have all the other lights on, plus I turned the 6 in ceiling can lights (5”) to 100%.

These are quick phone pics, but I can’t even tell you how incredible the picture is. I had 2 different people now ask me where I got a TV that big! LOL. I don’t know what to credit it too, but I think a lot of it is the screen. Absolutely incredible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	794FD09E-1DE0-4980-BA47-0F789472E7BE_1572304968359.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	2633390   Click image for larger version

Name:	60150371-77B2-417D-82C0-DFB2F5FE4845_1572304981964.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	2633392   Click image for larger version

Name:	45D33DD7-0BDF-4A38-B615-8602B0B2FAB2_1572304995788.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	2633394   Click image for larger version

Name:	063B94E1-4768-4AC4-885C-2F64F7470472_1572305011355.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	2633396  
pkinneb and JohnnyWilkinson like this.
post #52 of 64 Old 11-09-2019, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

Here’s a couple of pics now that it’s pretty much all done. I’ll likely post a thread dedicated to the build of the theater and not continue this one where I was soliciting design advice, but figured I’d share a couple here before I do the real write up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CA015CC9-AD5C-4883-9D77-ED0DFAFF9462_1573308822189.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	2638556   Click image for larger version

Name:	B309E370-8F4B-4C3A-A29A-60AE8626A4BF_1573308842242.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	2638558   Click image for larger version

Name:	8DEC2BDB-4554-4E3C-A140-A0914235104A_1573308855200.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	2638560  
pkinneb likes this.
post #53 of 64 Old 04-28-2020, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

I added some screen backlighting and it really makes the screen pop. It’s so cool! Here are a couple of examples.

For anyone who thinks they can’t have an amazing picture and experience with no back wall, ambient light and walls/ceiling that are a light color - hopefully this shows you otherwise.

pkinneb likes this.
post #54 of 64 Old 04-28-2020, 04:54 AM - Thread Starter

post #55 of 64 Old 04-28-2020, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:

I like what you've done and it sounds like you are really enjoying the outcome! That, after all, is the only thing that counts... Congrats!
post #56 of 64 Old 05-10-2020, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbles60 View Post
I like what you've done and it sounds like you are really enjoying the outcome! That, after all, is the only thing that counts... Congrats!
looks awesome, has me re thinking my design. What kind of lights did you use?

Great work.
post #57 of 64 Old 05-12-2020, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF757 View Post
looks awesome, has me re thinking my design. What kind of lights did you use?

Great work.

Thanks PaulF757! They’re just Uber cheap rope lights from Amazon, along with cheap DMX dimmers - also from Amazon. I can find exact product links if you want.

Tell me what this has you reconsidering!

post #58 of 64 Old 05-12-2020, 06:35 PM
EAS
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Curious if you actually ended up using C4 in the new place. You are using some DMX dimmers. Wondered if you integrated them in C4. I'm about ready to ditch my C4 completely. Its less and less relevant it seems.
post #59 of 64 Old 05-12-2020, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Thanks PaulF757! They’re just Uber cheap rope lights from Amazon, along with cheap DMX dimmers - also from Amazon. I can find exact product links if you want.

Tell me what this has you reconsidering!

Wether to dedicate a room or more open concept.
post #60 of 64 Old 05-12-2020, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAS View Post
Curious if you actually ended up using C4 in the new place. You are using some DMX dimmers. Wondered if you integrated them in C4. I'm about ready to ditch my C4 completely. Its less and less relevant it seems.

Yep! Every lighting load is C4 except those rope lights, and they are integrated. I bought the DMX Controller and driver from BlackWire Designs. I LOVE C4 and think it’s as relevant as ever.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page