Recessed lighting advice for home theatre / music studio? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dennwood

post #1 of 10 Old 04-15-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Recessed lighting advice for home theatre / music studio?

Hi all,

Would appreciate detailed advice on adding recessed lighting for my home theatre / music studio. I have no idea where to start in terms of how many, what size, etc. Planning to use Lutron dimmers. There are currently two circuits, one for the front half and one for the back half of the room.

Thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HomeTheatreLayout.png
Views:	45
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	2553214  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-17-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
Hmmm...bump?
post #3 of 10 Old 04-17-2019, 01:37 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 465 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6204 Post(s)
Liked: 5895
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-18-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2254 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Start with what tasks, are done where, and what they require in the way of lighting.

And start thinking "zones" where lights are grouped on a dimmer, so you can built in flexibility.

Is this room built already, with a drywalled ceiling?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The main questions are, how bright do you want the space to be, and is appearance important. First chose from:

100 Lux : minimum for hallways, porches etc

200 Lux : den, dining room, bedrooms. Sensible for a typical HT (dimmer at 100%)

500 Lux : kitchen, office, workshop, gym

1000 Lux : TV studio, outside on an overcast day (target max level for my HT)

(10,000 Lux : shaded area, sunny day)
(50,000 Lux : direct sunlight, sunny day)

Multiple lux rating by floor size in square metres to get the required total lumens of your lights (then double if not direct downlighting). Divide the total by the lumen rating of each bulb to get the number of individual lights that you need.

In appearance terms, the default for modern construction is to just spam recessed downlights ('can lights') in a grid or at irregular but roughly equal spacings until the lux target is met. An alternate approach popular for HTs is to install uplights above a dropped soffit to 'wash' the ceiling with indirect light (double the required lumens unless your ceiling is bright reflective white). Obviously there are lots of more artistic options if you want to introduce graphic design, involving colours, diffusers, sconces, hanging lights etc.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-19-2019, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreenboy View Post
Hi all,

Would appreciate detailed advice on adding recessed lighting for my home theatre / music studio. I have no idea where to start in terms of how many, what size, etc. Planning to use Lutron dimmers. There are currently two circuits, one for the front half and one for the back half of the room.

Thank you in advance!
Try the Lutron Caseta dimmers. You need the Home Pro box to run them. The phone app is amazing. It lets you create " scenes". You can create mild to wild lighting scenes. ( I'm using 8 of these bad boys currently) Love em.

Thee Rock n' Roll Theatre-coming soon.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-20-2019, 06:30 AM

Liked: 12
I'm just getting to this point in my room as well. I have a rather small room (11 x 16) and elected to put all of the lights in the soffit. I was not able to fit isolation boxes in the main part of the ceiling due to interferences so I figured I'd eliminate the risk of defeating the soundproofing. I have a mix of two types of lights - I got nearly identical lights to what Big posted for the front wall and these for the rest of the room. I'm also going with a Lutron dimmer. I happen to have the Maestro line elsewhere in the house.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-20-2019, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I used a Commercial 6-pack of fixtures, simiar to what BIG linked to, but gave the halogen bulbs away and fitted them with HUE GU10 base lights: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/com...ded/1000409112

Works out to $8/fixture. Each bulb (sadly, not $8 each) can be individually turned off, dimmed, or coloured to your lighting scenes as you see fit. A good guide is to space them 4 feet apart or so.

I could fit them easily (after all drywall was done) into compact backer boxes which are fire rated, double layer with Green Glue..so decent for sound issues too. I left some wire dangling in each box, so I could wire these in after the two layers of ceiling + GG were done...hook them up and push them in. If you're doing soffit lighing, you don't need this..but I have a low ceiling and no soffit.

Pics from my post over at garagejournal: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/....php?p=6138540

The fixture is super compact. You removed the junction box, install the clamp, make the connections, button up and essentially pop the fixture into the 3 1/2 hole punched in the drywall.

I like that overheat protection is in place.

These bits separate to make bulb install/replace easy.

An idea of tilt range.

Philips Hue White & Colour Ambiance LED GU10:

These are about six feet apart..OK for a theater, but 4ft would be better if your room will be task based at all. I used six HUE GU10 bulbs and about 20ft of HUE LED strips (10ft behind AT screen, 10ft on rear wall)

My kids really like firing up the tunes with friends over and using the HUE Disco app to get each light and LED strip pulsing/flashing and changing color synced with the mood and cadence of the music playing. I have the lights programmed via SmartThings and Harmony remote so they change color and dim gradually for some cool effects when media is queued up. Because each basement light (they are all zigbee bulbs) is automated, you can also control things like motion activated stairwell lights where only one light comes in with motion, and dimmed 90%. This means that a bathroom run during the movie can be done without a blast of light frying everyone's retinas :-) You can also control gentle ramping up of light levels after a movie for the same reason.

Last edited by dennwood; 04-20-2019 at 01:04 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-20-2019, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Do the Philips Hue G10 bulbs dim really super low?
post #10 of 10 Old 04-20-2019, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The GU10/bulbs dim to about 10% but the LED strips will dim to almost nothing. When screening films, all bulbs dim to zero in 10 seconds or so, the front LED strips dims over 30 seconds (as screen lowers) and the rear LEDs dim to about 3% turning blue. This give just a slight bit of light at the rear of the theatre in someone needs to sneak out.
texpilot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page