NYC Installation Help (or guide?) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bluewaves

post #1 of 4 Old 04-18-2019, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NYC Installation Help (or guide?)

Hi All,

I've reached out to about half a dozen AV guys asking for quotes for the following service:
* Installation of a recessed projector screen (92 to 100”)
* Installation of ceiling power outlet
* Installation of projector to mount
* One HDMI cable, unexposed, to a console

I would provide the mount, screen and projector.

Do you guys know what a fair price for this sort of service would be? They’re all asking what sort of budget I had in mind or telling me I would need to hire a contractor and electrician, which I think would blow my budget up.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be extremely helpful!

Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-18-2019, 07:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5550 Post(s)
Liked: 5142
The installation of a recessed screen is a problem if this is a constrained budget project. Basically a PIA. You need to verify which way the ceiling joists run and if there are any other obstructions in the way. This might require some exploratory surgery to take a look. Do you have access from above? If there are obstructions your contractor would want to walk away from the project. As far as electrical if this is a multi-family building there may be HOA rules on who can do electrical work due to the liability issues. Also there may be fireblocking requirements and you would need approval to undertake cutting a hole in the ceiling. It would be easier to mount the projector on the wall and hide the case in a custom valence. Another heads up. AV guys make money on selling all the things you want to provide, you are cutting them out of that piece of the action.

This may be of interest, a bottom up retractable screen:

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 04-18-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-18-2019, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
The installation of a recessed screen is a problem if this is a constrained budget project. Basically a PIA. You need to verify which way the ceiling joists run and if there are any other obstructions in the way. This might require some exploratory surgery to take a look. Do you have access from above? If there are obstructions your contractor would want to walk away from the project. As far as electrical if this is a multi-family building there may be HOA rules on who can do electrical work due to the liability issues. Also there may be fireblocking requirements and you would need approval to undertake cutting a hole in the ceiling. It would be easier to mount the projector on the wall and hid the case in a custom valence. Another heads up. AV guys make money on selling all the things you want to provide, you are cutting them out of that piece of the action.

This may be of interest, a bottom up retractable screen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnrYXzUEd2Y
Bigmouth, that's amazing! I didn't know anything like that existed.

Does anyone know about the quality of this screen? I'm mostly watching sports and films on my Epson 4010.

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-19-2019, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You also have to remember that things like a recessed screen most AV professionals only want to install the brands they sell so they have support for and familiarity with the product as they all are so slightly different. If you’re trying to make a buck having a contact at a company you have a relationship with can save hours that you can be doing other work and making money.

If you don’t want to purchase a complete solution from someone you’re going to be hard pressed to find an integrator willing to take on the job as they make most of their money for the products and basically do the install at cost.

If you’re in NYC the hassles of code, building managers, parking and logistics in general make it a nightmare times 10.
BIGmouthinDC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page