1Likes
  • 1 Post By bobs77vet

post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2019, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
15' x22' theatre room build

hello everyone I recently sold my house where we built this small family theatre room 12 x 15 x 8'6"

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...tre-build.html

and now I am on to designing my next theatre room it will be 15' 2" X 22' X 9' 4" with an AV closet on the side it will be a dedicated theatre room with a projection screen

we truly got sucked into the theatre room experience and want to make this nice and comfortable. we liked the couch sectional and are thinking of two rows of seats this time but I am not sure if the couch goes on the side, goes in the back or goes in the front...any body have any insights or pictures they would care to share of their similarly sized theatre rooms. thanks bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-26-2019, 04:34 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5547 Post(s)
Liked: 5139
In a serious two row theater you don't sit along the side or back walls. The sound sucks. The rooms standing waves peak at the room boundaries and the bass will be boomy. You will also be too close to the surround speakers.

You also don't want to sit at a 90 degree angle to the screen for a 2 hour movie unless you have a good chiropractor on call.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-27-2019, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
In a serious two row theater you don't sit along the side or back walls. The sound sucks. The rooms standing waves peak at the room boundaries and the bass will be boomy. You will also be too close to the surround speakers.

You also don't want to sit at a 90 degree angle to the screen for a 2 hour movie unless you have a good chiropractor on call.
thanks Jeff,

I did some preliminary measurements using the Seat craft rialto back row chairs and there modular sofa.

with 4 row seating I can get easily off the walls by a minimum of 18" on the right side and back wall and then about 3' off of the left side aisle for walking.

the seating will be directly in front and facing the screen.

this is the style I was thinking of, sofa up front and row of seats in the back open link and click on first picture
https://4seating.com/seatcraft-heavenly-modular-sofa

if I need to be further off the walls I suppose I could use a three row back seat and a smaller front sofa.

is there a good minimum distance off the side walls?

thanks bob

Last edited by bobs77vet; 04-27-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-27-2019, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post
hello everyone I recently sold my house where we built this small family theatre room 12 x 15 x 8'6"

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...tre-build.html

and now I am on to designing my next theatre room it will be 15' 2" X 22' X 9' 4" with an AV closet on the side it will be a dedicated theatre room with a projection screen

we truly got sucked into the theatre room experience and want to make this nice and comfortable. we liked the couch sectional and are thinking of two rows of seats this time but I am not sure if the couch goes on the side, goes in the back or goes in the front...any body have any insights or pictures they would care to share of their similarly sized theatre rooms. thanks bob
My theater size is very similar (just a hair larger) to what your new room will be. Has 2 rows and 125" wide screen. Link is in my signature The Force Theater
post #5 of 8 Old 04-28-2019, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Jedi1982, thanks that is an incredible build and gave me lots of ideas, my previous build was a lot fun to use but really just a dedicated room with good equipment and a sofa in it. your build has me thinking about how much more this next build could be, I know we will be using a sofa up front and back row seats. I will be PMing you with questions. thanks for helping out. Bob
jedi1982 likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-28-2019, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Like many have said and you probably know from your previous build, plan, plan and plan. With a solid plan and dimensions it takes a lot of the decisions as you go out and you can focus on the work. My theater is 15-6 x 24 x 10, 7.3.4 and a 150" diag; so right in the same neighborhood as you. As big said STAY OFF THE WALLS. Terrible sound, terrible view.

I went with 6 individual seats centered with walk paths/stairs on both sides. All speakers in wall (with back boxes) and an AT screen. 3 mid-grade subs with a miniDSP has worked great. I've attached an early draft of my theater. Ultimately things changed a little before we started. But 2 rows of 3 has worked perfectly for sight lines and sound (18 inch riser in the rear to meet the door (concrete basement floor dropped in this area during construction exactly for this purpose).

good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	matt theater Model (1).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	435.3 KB
ID:	2559630  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf matt theater Model (1).pdf (8.9 KB, 12 views)
post #7 of 8 Old 05-02-2019, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Seems like you'll have a nice space to build in. Looking forward to seeing it.

Roll Tide.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-02-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post
thanks Jeff,

I did some preliminary measurements using the Seat craft rialto back row chairs and there modular sofa.

with 4 row seating I can get easily off the walls by a minimum of 18" on the right side and back wall and then about 3' off of the left side aisle for walking.

is there a good minimum distance off the side walls?

thanks bob
I think Tedd has said 3 ft in the past to others but you'd have to double check with him.

Aaron

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Panasonic, OPPO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page