Potential Idea for a new Sticky: HT by size - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By AlexBen

post #1 of 8 Old 04-28-2019, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Potential Idea for a new Sticky: HT by size

I'm not sure how easily this could be accomplished, but I think it would be invaluable to the community, most especially new people coming in to research and see what has already be done to glean ideas, and avoid making mistakes.

One of the strengths of this section is the extreme diversity. One of the weaknesses (My perspective only perhaps) is that its very hard for someone to come in and do a search of rooms that are close to the dimensions they have at hand.

If we decided on a standard for the sticky, say for example Width (and insist its screen wall first) x Length x Height.... people could run down a huge long list of rooms and quickly see how people solved the same sorts of issues they have....

(Do I need a flak jacket after posting this?)
BubbaMc, Oklahomie and A.T.M. like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-29-2019, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 540
I think it would be interesting if the completed theaters on this site were catalogued and tagged in software typically used for online shopping. Think Amazon or Parts Express. Then you could filter just as you would shopping for a speaker by size, power handling, brand, price... Maybe you could filter by size, number of speakers, type of main display, size of main display, number of seats, type of speakers (horns, conventional, planar etc), color scheme, containing windows, star ceilings... etc.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-29-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 720
What would be awesome, and will never happen, is if the ownership of the first post in a sticky could be reassigned to a new member. That way when the OP disappears the post can still be updated.

Room size is one of many factors of interest - Seating configuration, viewing distance, screen distance, AT screen, etc, so it may be tough to dedicate a sticky to room size. Maybe a google spreadsheet with each parameter as a column?

A pet peeve is threads where a link to the "money shot" completed pic posts is not included in the first page of a build thread. It is a pain to have to wade through pages to figure out whether a build is worth reading about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-29-2019, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3348 Post(s)
Liked: 1881
spl is what I want to know...amazing how many theaters dont mention capabilities.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #5 of 8 Old 04-30-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2044 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Maybe we could just use good design criteria and build the room outwards from the seating foot print instead?
I think one could nail down ten to twenty good rules to follow, and be able to stay away from major design flaws.
The real problem happens when the want list exceeds the room's size or budget to obtain great audio.

All one really needs is a low noise floor and a system capable of playing reference levels, at the seats. SPL beyond that, could
be viewed as wasted budget, that maybe could have gone elsewhere. (Not that I don't have a stupid crazy sound system, but
I could have spent it better elsewhere, for this room at least.)

I'm not sure a picture at the front of a thread, means the thread might not be worthwhile. It may in fact be loaded with excellent
ideas, hints, tips and even great "stuff" that is hidden away from view. I've also been in some home theaters where I needed to
see/experience something, to truly appreciate it. The Savoy for example, has a fabric door. I really missed the fact it's pure genius
for being able to enter and leave without disturbing a movie. Such a great feature and I missed it's value until I actually was in The Savoy
and actually used it. Experiencing a Lutron 3106 and an ir receiver was also another earlier instance where I had zero clue about it's worth.
A day later, I owned a 3104.

My next room design is all about features I like. It's practically a smorgasbord of ideas, taken from theaters I have been in, and from threads.
There's been many a nifty idea that come out of rooms that aren't exactly my style (or budget for that matter...). Pretty much every home theater
I have been in, has at least one or two ideas that work for me. I might not like it's style, but I learned to look for the smaller details that make
up the room. Windows' snipping tool has seen a lot of use, over the last ten or so years.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I'm not sure a picture at the front of a thread, means the thread might not be worthwhile. It may in fact be loaded with excellent
ideas, hints, tips and even great "stuff" that is hidden away from view.
I didn't word that well. Virtually all builds have great stories and features of interest. They also vary considerably in design. When going down the history of threads it can be difficult to make out if a thread among the hundreds out there is something I want to read more about because of some feature it has, such as the room size, format, aesthetic design, speaker setup, etc.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-01-2019, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Some great ideas.

Yes, screen size, AT vs STD, # rows, #seats , # speakers, #subs , #SPL (I guess? But I can’t imagine personally measuring mine) # risers, windows, independent HVAC, star ceiling, camouflaged doors or racks, masking, screen drapes, stage, Atmos?

I can see a searchesble data base could include a lot more than room size.

To me, I’d start with size only because it would allow people to see what others have done within those immutable limits.

Great thoughts above, thank you.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-02-2019, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBen View Post
Some great ideas.

Yes, screen size, AT vs STD, # rows, #seats, # speakers, #subs,#SPL# risers, windows, independent HVAC, star ceiling, camouflaged doors or racks, masking, screen drapes, stage, Atmos?

I can see a searchesble data base could include a lot more than room size.

To me, I’d start with size only because it would allow people to see what others have done within those immutable limits.

Great thoughts above, thank you.

Hey all,

I agree, all of those characteristic are important but most items, as you say, are limited by room size:

Is my room big enough for X #" size screen= throw distance=viewing distance = 4K= PJ type etc...?
Is my room big enough for an AT screen/ Brand X, specific brand UF/XF due to viewing distance etc...?
Is my room big enough for X # of rows or bar and still have stellar sound?
Is my room big (wide) enough for X # of seats and still be 3ft from side speakers (seamless immersive audio)?
Is my room big enough for X.X.X speaker set up (sound immersive=angles=Height= DTSX, Atoms, Auromax)?
Is my room big enough (cubic feet) to handle X type speaker, with X output, driven by X wattage X subs (SPL)?
Is my room big enough for reclining seats, or do I need a couch?
Is my room big (tall) enough for a riser= calculator= build mobile/ stationary, and where to hang PJ?
Is my room big enough or small enough to have its own HVAC/Minisplit/+zone system= flow rate= vent size
Does the size of my room/components/floor noise= How much power I need 2x 20, 1 x 15, 3 x 20, 3 x 15 etc...what amount of speaker wire, romex, DW, GG, hat channel length, acoustic caulking, outlets, screws in need- for what I want to achieve?
Is my room bigger than my lighting scheme/ controls allow?: Lutron, Insteon, IR, RF, Repeaters, Remotes, zones, etc
What is my budget per sq foot?

Yes some characteristics are subjective, objective and opinions will vary whether or not some of this is important; but I think the foundation and creative imagination for the theater begins with the size of the space, just as it would in sketchup.

Aaron

All ya need is love, and Hi Fi sound.
Asthetix, Audreal, Arcam FMJ, Musical Fidelity, Harmonix, Marantz, Tannoy, MIT, PS3, Panasonic, OPPO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page