AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dedicated Theater Design & Construction (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   A long narrow room (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3065242-long-narrow-room.html)

[email protected] 05-01-2019 08:48 AM

A long narrow room

1 Attachment(s)
I am new to Home Theater and planning to finish my basement with a HT, mostly used for movie watching. Currently, I am thinking of the following setup:

1. Ceiling mounted projector; 2. 120'' projector screen on the short wall, 3. a 7.1 system or 7.1.2 system, still debating. (a 5.1 system is also an option if a 7.1 is hard to arrange).

My basement has a dimension of 13.5' x 29' x 8' (Width x Length x Height). See details in the attached diagram and potential speakers choice and placement.

The wife prefers no speaker on floor because of the play area. If there has to be, they should be movable. I am thinking maybe two floorstanding ones for RL or RR if feasible.

Since the Left (SL) and Right (SR) speakers have to be mounted on the side walls, I am concerned the speakers will be too close to the listeners. For the RL and RR speakers in 7.1 system, I am also concerned that they are too far away if they are installed on the rear wall.

Any suggestions for the speaker placement and choices would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

[email protected] 05-03-2019 08:55 AM

Nobody?

jedi1982 05-03-2019 11:40 AM

Honestly, I'd do a 5.2 system and not even mess with the rear surrounds. That's a very similar-ish set up to one of my first home theaters in a basement.

m0j0 05-03-2019 12:51 PM

From 15 feet back, those rear surrounds are going to have a hard time being involved in your setup. I would agree with @jedi1982 that a 5.x setup would probably be your best bet. As for the side surrounds being too close, I don't think it will be an issue with about 3 and 1/2 feet on each side. This would be a good setup for atmos as well, so hopefully you will be able to get a 9 channel amp and go with a 5.1.4 configuration.

[email protected] 05-03-2019 02:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I will go with a 5.1.4 system then.

Since there is no rear speakers any more, should I go with bipolar, dipolar, or just monopolar for the side speakers?

As of the speaker height on the side wall, can I mount it 7 feet above the floor, instead of 2 feet over the listening ear height (~4 feet)? I probably can adjust them to point down a little to the listeners.

Thanks.

Tedd 05-03-2019 06:48 PM

Why not 7.1 with the rear speakers in the ceiling?

[email protected] 05-03-2019 07:37 PM

Won't they be too high?
how far do two speakers need to drop down from the ceiling?

Tedd 05-04-2019 02:13 AM

You cannot raise surround speakers in ATMOS but you can with 7.1, so I would consider something in ceiling that can be moved back and aimed.

If you want drop down speakers, someone here on AV has done that. His whole system is on cables and retracts up into the ceiling. Maybe smaller surround speakers might take advantage of
the joist cavity in this manner? There also are some speakers out there that retract to flush a flush position, and extend out when in use. Might be anther alternative.

[email protected] 05-04-2019 09:30 AM

Thanks for all replies. Now, I am debating on the following two options:
Option 1: 5.1.4 system, 2 side speakers (bipolar) mounted on the side walls, 4 Atoms speakers (monopolar) in ceiling.
Option 2: 7.1 system, 2 side speakers (monopolar) on the side walls, 2 rear surround speakers (monopolar) in ceiling.

From the sound quality standpoint for movie watching, which one is normally preferable?

Thanks.

sdurani 05-04-2019 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 57982308)
Since the Left (SL) and Right (SR) speakers have to be mounted on the side walls, I am concerned the speakers will be too close to the listeners. For the RL and RR speakers in 7.1 system, I am also concerned that they are too far away if they are installed on the rear wall.

Any suggestions for the speaker placement and choices would be highly appreciated.

First thing I would do is move the sofa slightly forward so that the listeners' ears are at 2/5 room length (11.6 feet) from the front wall. This location will avoid sitting in any of the bass nulls that appear along the length of your room.

Mount the Side speakers on the side walls a couple feet forward of the couch, with each speaker aimed towards the listener at the opposite end of the couch (to compensate for distance). Mount the Rear speakers on the side walls just before the bathroom bump-out; again, aim each speaker towards the listener farthest away. Try to keep these speakers as close to seated ear height as possible.

This will give you side-vs-rear separation AND wrap-around envelopment in the surround field that is simply not possible with only 2 surround speakers. IF your budget allows you to add 4 height speakers, then that would be optimal. If not, then do 2 height speakers on the ceiling (mounted 3-4 feet forward of the listeners).

BTW, how far away is the first window from the front wall?

Tedd 05-04-2019 04:52 PM

Is anyone using bipolar speakers anymore, and especially with ATMOS??????

[email protected] 05-05-2019 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdurani (Post 57998592)
First thing I would do is move the sofa slightly forward so that the listeners' ears are at 2/5 room length (11.6 feet) from the front wall. This location will avoid sitting in any of the bass nulls that appear along the length of your room.

Mount the Side speakers on the side walls a couple feet forward of the couch, with each speaker aimed towards the listener at the opposite end of the couch (to compensate for distance). Mount the Rear speakers on the side walls just before the bathroom bump-out; again, aim each speaker towards the listener farthest away. Try to keep these speakers as close to seated ear height as possible.

This will give you side-vs-rear separation AND wrap-around envelopment in the surround field that is simply not possible with only 2 surround speakers. IF your budget allows you to add 4 height speakers, then that would be optimal. If not, then do 2 height speakers on the ceiling (mounted 3-4 feet forward of the listeners).

BTW, how far away is the first window from the front wall?

Sanjay,
The distance between the first window and the front wall is about 2.5'.
I am trying to understand the layout you recommended. Please look at the attached diagram to see if I understand correctly. Thanks.

Tedd,
I am not sure if people is still using bipolar or not nowadays. From what I saw on internet, bipolar/dipolar seems able to create a diffuse surround effect so the location of the speaker (especially for the side speakers in this case) cannot be pinpointed. This may sort of compensate the absence of rear speakers in a 5.1 system. Just my understanding.

sdurani 05-05-2019 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 58004458)
The distance between the first window and the front wall is about 2.5'.

IF you're not using the fireplace, you can build a false wall a couple feet (give or take) from the front wall, with an acoustically transparent screen that will hide the L/C/R speakers and subs (and acoustical treatments, if you decide to hang some on the front wall). Clean look, with no gear showing and no one touching or knocking over your front speakers.
Quote:

Please look at the attached diagram to see if I understand correctly.
It's like you read my mind.