Second best flooring for dedicated HT - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-04-2019, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Second best flooring for dedicated HT

Hi guys,

I am going to be building a HT in my unfinished basement.

I plan to do double studs all around, including the ceiling. Primary concern is sound transmission through the ceiling but after the double stud ceiling and DW I am left with just 83.25" height to the concrete floor so need a fairly thin flooring but still want to achieve as much sound absorption as I can.

Unfortunately, carpet is a hard no.

I know that nothing else comes close to carpet and pad but what would be the (distant) second best floor option?

My thoughts tend toward cork or vinyl.

Any opinions are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-04-2019, 06:39 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5535 Post(s)
Liked: 5131
One vote cork and maybe some area rugs
post #3 of 6 Old 05-04-2019, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Thanks, area rugs are definitely in the plan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2019, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Did you ever try cork? If so how did you like it? My wife prefers a non-carpet floor as well.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #5 of 6 Old 05-20-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Don't worry, no matter what you do, bass will go through the ceiling. The more you isolate it, the lower the (more or less) unaffected frequencies go, but to sound proof against 60Hz and under would require mass. Mass as in one foot of lead (in added ceiling thickness). Sand works pretty well too.
As for eliminating reflections, cork is a much more rigid surface than carpet, so the frequency band which it'll effectively absorb will be narrower (maybe 2k and up). That might lead to a boxy sound. I'd advise to treat early reflections and first reflection points (the points on the wall/ceiling/floor which you could see your speakers in, if there was a mirror).
Many people prefer having at least some reverb left, so experiment with different, non permanent solutions before you install anything.

My room has a tiled floor, so I placed a rug in front of the speakers. If that's still a no-go for you, well there is an even better option, which doesn't involve any carpet at all:

A Star Is Born - Lady Gaga goes Rock Audio&Video by Ocean Studios (me)
SKHorn Build
Samsung KS7500 - Marantz NR1504 - Klipsch R-26F - Klipsch R-25C - Klipsch R-15M - SKHorn (on FP-13000 clone)
Bass EQ for Filtered Video Games
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimoVictoria View Post
Hi guys,

I am going to be building a HT in my unfinished basement.

I plan to do double studs all around, including the ceiling. Primary concern is sound transmission through the ceiling but after the double stud ceiling and DW I am left with just 83.25" height to the concrete floor so need a fairly thin flooring but still want to achieve as much sound absorption as I can.

Unfortunately, carpet is a hard no.

I know that nothing else comes close to carpet and pad but what would be the (distant) second best floor option?

My thoughts tend toward cork or vinyl.

Any opinions are welcome!
What is the height from floor to joist? Have you considered using clips and channel? You can mount the clips parallel to the joists to minimize the height loss to the depth of the drywall + about 1/2 inch. Are you considering double drywall and green glue? If you use 2x 5/8s DW and the right clips and channel, you will lose less than 2".

I used that method in my little over 7' floor to joist room and it saved me enough room to add a dricore subfloor plus carpet and still come in at just over 7'.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends

Need motivation? Get LOGANED
The Yellow Dog Cinema and Draft House
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page