Help with proposed new theater build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 165 Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Help with proposed new theater build

Backstory:


Fifteen years ago, my wife and I had a small 10x10 dedicated home theater room (rear projection TV), we’ve since had two kids and moved into a bigger house and gave up the HT room and now do most of our viewing on a 65” plasma, with no surround sound, in our living room. We started watching the first season of Game of Thrones for the first time the other day, and talked about how that was the kind of show that deserved to be watched in a real HT room. Since then I have been thinking about trying to build a budget room in our unfinished basement on a budget, and I’ve been out of the game eight years and need your help.



Proposed Build:


We actually have a pretty good room to start with, it’s 21’x16’ with 8’ ceilings, and only one small area in the corner that I will have to frame down around a duct. I’ve looked at both putting the screen on the long wall, which the wife might like better but not be as good of A/V setup with the seating on the rear wall, or on the short wall, which would make the most since A/V wise. Depending on the setup, I am thinking about an Atmos 5.1.2 setup or 7.1.4 setup.

Equipment:


This equipment is subject to change, but is what I came up with after a couple of days of research. Feel free to suggest better equipment in the same general price point.


Projector: Epson Home Cinema 4010 – I really want a JVC, but every time I plug a $4K projector into the plan it blows the budget. This seems like a good starter projector for less than half that.



Projector Mount: Silver Ticket Low Profile Universal Projector Mount – anyone used this? The price sure is right!


Screen: Silver Ticket fixed screen between 120 and 150”. I assume white over gray if I can control the light in the room.


Receiver: Onkyo RZ630 9.2 channel receiver. I had an HDMI board go out on an Onkyo years ago, so I am a little tainted, but at the prices you can get them for at Accessories4less I may be willing to take the chance again.



Sources: Panasonic BDT-110 Blu Ray player I already own (move from upstairs). Then get a 4K player at Christmas??? HD Cable Box?



Center Channel Speaker: Polk Audio 255-RTc


Left and Right Fronts: Polk Audio 265-RT


Surrounds: Polk Audio 265RC (cheaper than the RT versions)


Atmos Speakers: Polk Audio 255RC – would these work OK for Atmos mounted in the ceiling?



Sub: NXG – NX-BAS-500 12” Sub I bought for a cheap sub for another project and never used – I can always change this out later.


General Construction Notes:


I have 2x6 walls, which I plan on installing fiberglass BAT insulation in and covering with 5/8 sheetrock. The ceiling is 2x10’s which already has insulation and I will also cover with sheetrock. There are currently three door openings, one at the foot of the stairs, which I would put a cased opening on and leave open (there is a door at the top of the stairs), and the other two which both go into unfinished areas, one an unfinished area with our home gym and game room (ping pong), the other going into storage (where my wife keeps here 10,000 boxes of Christmas decorations). I would put exterior type doors there with full weather-stripping and thresholds. The room also has two windows, which I will deal with using either blackout curtains, blackout panels, or even covering them up with sheetrock during the buildout, depending on where the viewing position ends up being, and of course the WAF.



More to come, I need to leave for my daughters softball tournament. - Update after 11 hours at the ball-fields we won first place in the tournament - undefeated







HVAC – This is probably going to be the most expensive part of the buildout. It actually stays pretty comfortable year-round but we live in a very humid part of the country so I think I will need at least AC – not sure about heat. I see that I have a couple of options – I can do a mini split, either a normal or ductless, or if my main level unit could handle the additional load, I might could just tie into the main trunkline from above. Thoughts on HVAC since it’s such an expensive piece?



Windows – The room does have two 3’-0”, 5’-0” windows that I will need to do something with. I could either just cover them with blackout curtains, or build some sort of blackout insert. If I put the screen on the short wall like I have shown in the drawing, I would cover the windows with sheetrock and black them out that way. Of course, this would have to have to pass the wife approval factor. What are your thoughts?



Rough In Materials – Is Monoprice the best place to buy this stuff? I want to put a conduit and some sort of box to the projector in case I want to add some cables later (HDMI won’t last forever). I will also have a lot of cables (speaker wires, hdmi, sub cable, etc) going from my equipment rack into the wall. Should I just try and get a faceplate that I can just run the wiring through or should I get faceplates with terminations and use banana plugs, etc and just terminate them on both sides?



Flooring – This might get interesting…..We like hard floors – we have a dog that won’t pee on hard flooring, but we have had problems in the past with him peeing on rugs, etc, so there is definitely an advantage to us putting some hard flooring down. It’s on concrete so perhaps something like Pergo, or do we just do commercial flooring carpet tiles in a dark color? I’m sure the carpet would be much more acoustically appealing, and would not reflect as much light from the screen.


Seating – right now I’m thinking about just moving the seven seat sectional that we have upstairs to the basement and getting a new sectional upstairs (my wife has been wanting something new anyways). Do you see any issues with this?



Acoustical Treatments (later?) What sort of acoustical treatments should I do?



Video Black Out Treatments – All pending WAF - I would like to have dark colored wall – probably dark gray walls and a black ceiling. Is there any advantage to doing a textured ceiling (knock down) vs a flat? I would also like to do black velvet curtains on the projector screen wall if my wife approves. Thoughts?


Lighting – I want to keep this simple. Would 4 LED can lights be enough light or do I need more? I’d also like to add a IR dimmer that I can program to dim with my Harmony Remote

Last edited by Mocs123; 05-18-2019 at 08:39 PM.
Mocs123 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 165 Old 05-18-2019, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	2568490  
Mocs123 is online now  
post #3 of 165 Old 05-18-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Seating would be terrible for everyone on the side wall for picture and sound. I would put the new seating in this room and go with two tiered rows of three to four on each row.



The equipment rack should be outside of the theater, so lights, noise, and heat generation are kept to a minimum. Perhaps in one of the unfinished side rooms.



Go with an acoustic screen (Silver Ticket 4k acoustic screens aren't that much more and are a pretty decent start) and put at least a matching vertical center speaker behind the screen. You only need a couple inches from the speaker to the back of the woven material. Put the left and right behind or flanking the screen at the same level, depending on viewing distance from the screen. That way you will lock the image with the audio just like in a professional cinema.



My advice at the price level of the speakers chosen is to skip in-wall front speakers, at least. For excellent in-wall performance you really need to increase your budget. It would be better to took at regular speakers and build a false wall in front of them with the AT screen hanging on it. A false wall is not as hard to create and build as you might think. You have enough room for one.



Hard wood is not a good idea in a theater room. You would still need to put an area rug in front of the screen wall to absorb first reflection points, which would attract Fido anyway. Keep the dog out of the room is my advice. You don't want pet hair and dander around the equipment or projector anyway.
EDJK and Mike_WI like this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-18-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 165 Old 05-18-2019, 09:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Speakers:

Ascend Acoustics (call to set up a single CMT-340 SE as center).

Three CMT-340 SE (left/center/right)
Four HTM-200 (surround side & rear pairs)


RSL Speakers:

Four C34E in-ceiling (Atmos overheads)


Sub later


This would be a formidable, reasonably priced package compared to the Polk's you mentioned.





Emotiva is also refreshing their Airmotiv line. You could either wait for their updated models or snag three T1's and four E1's at closeout prices. Very well regarded speakers with a nice rich, neutral sound.
EDJK likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-18-2019 at 10:30 PM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #5 of 165 Old 05-18-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
I would snag a new Denon 4400H on clearance sale through Amazon. ListenUp is an authorized dealer from their seller list. I would say Fry's for a really great price on the 4500H, but it's in-store only and they don't have stores in your area. Both receivers are extremely close to each other, so the 4400H isn't really a "lesser" model. Then pick up a basic stereo amp to power the Top Rear Atmos speakers or an older receiver laying around if you have one. The smarter buy would be a separate 3 channel amp to power the front three LCR, taking the load off the receiver and letting it power the surrounds and overheads, though that will increase your budget even more.



The Onkyo you mentioned is lower quality as people are still reporting various QC issues, and is not 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos and DTS: X compatible. It tops out at 5.2.4.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-18-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #6 of 165 Old 05-18-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Here is a seating distance vs screen size calculator to give you a general idea. You don't want to overwhelm your senses, nor do you want to under size your screen either. The bigger the screen, the more capable your projector needs to be in its lumen output. Bulbs do dim over time.


https://www.projectorscreen.com/proj...en-calculators

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #7 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Dan, thanks for your help and insight. I know the part of the sectional that is perpendicular to the screen would have less than optimal viewing angles, but we have it already and it wouldn't be used much. Mostly it would be just my wife and I, or my wife and the two kids (which could all fit on the section parallel to the screen), but I know my wife will want the availability for more people particularity when the kids have a bunch of friends over. Never the less, I'll look at other seating options. I also attached an alternate configuration, with the projector screen on the long wall, which may not be acoustically optimal, but would make for better viewing angles for big groups (lots of kids - could pile on floor), and I imagine might work best with a smaller sound system (maybe 5.1.2 instead of 7.1.4), which which would up the per speaker budget somewhat.


I'm not sure if I can fit the rack outside of the room or not - one side is "unfinished" space but it is set up as a gym with flooring, and workout equipment, the other is just storage, but the area right outside the room is a "hallway" going to another unfinished storage room. Under the stairs might be an option. I'll see what I can figure out.


I was originally going to go with an acoustically transparent screen, but in my research it seemed that they were detrimental to video quality, do you think that is worth the trade-off rather than mounting the center just below screen?



I knew the hard surface flooring was a bad idea. Any reason I can't go with commercial carpet tiles directly over the concrete floor?


I'm not sure what my wife would think about a false wall, but I will run it by her. In our old theater, I had bookshelf speakers on stands (Dynaudio Audience 52's) for fronts and surrounds and still have a pair in the living room. One of the reason's the Polks were appealing is I could get the whole set for $710 - well under retail price. If I have to go in-walls, what if I went with something like this: Klipsch R-5502 W II's for the fronts and center, and Klipsch 5650 for the surrounds, and some sort of inexpensive ceiling speakers (Polks again?) for the atmos speakers? I think I could get the setup for $950.



Thanks for pointing out that that Onkyo doesn't have the right processing. I did find the Denon 4400H for $750 from an authorized dealer. If it helps, I do have a 7 channel amp I could use (an Anthem PVA-7 that's been in storage for six years).



I'm trying to do this buildout as inexpensively as possible (shooting for $11K total). Any more than that and my wife will veto the HT room and insist on a pool!


**By the way - It's amazing to me how much more discretionary money I had before kids! Now I have champagne taste and a beer budget!



Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 2.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	2568584  

Last edited by Mocs123; 05-19-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Mocs123 is online now  
post #8 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Another speaker option I just stumbled across is the Hsu Research HIW-1 In-Wall. I know their subs are well regarded and the bookshelf version of this speaker has a few good reviews. They seam to be sold in sets of two and I'm not sure if they would break a set, but If I used them for all channels I could get them for a decent price. Would they be better than the Klipsch or Polk?



I was never a huge Klipsch fan for music, but I don't know if I would find them too bright for movies. Historically, I will say that I am much less picky about my movie sounds than music (which I mostly use headphones for nowadays). Klipsch is what our local theater uses.



Also I could if recommended take MDF and "box in" the wall so the speaker isn't having to fill the entire wall cavity between the studs. To be honest I'm not sure why more in-walls aren't a box you insert into the wall like the Triads (which look nice but are out of my price range).

Last edited by Mocs123; 05-19-2019 at 07:53 AM.
Mocs123 is online now  
post #9 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Dan, thanks for your help and insight. I know the part of the sectional that is perpendicular to the screen would have less than optimal viewing angles, but we have it already and it wouldn't be used much. Mostly it would be just my wife and I, or my wife and the two kids (which could all fit on the section parallel to the screen), but I know my wife will want the availability for more people particularity when the kids have a bunch of friends over. Never the less, I'll look at other seating options. I also attached an alternate configuration, with the projector screen on the long wall, which may not be acoustically optimal, but would make for better viewing angles for big groups (lots of kids - could pile on floor), and I imagine might work best with a smaller sound system (maybe 5.1.2 instead of 7.1.4), which which would up the per speaker budget somewhat.


I'm not sure if I can fit the rack outside of the room or not - one side is "unfinished" space but it is set up as a gym with flooring, and workout equipment, the other is just storage, but the area right outside the room is a "hallway" going to another unfinished storage room. Under the stairs might be an option. I'll see what I can figure out.


I was originally going to go with an acoustically transparent screen, but in my research it seemed that they were detrimental to video quality, do you think that is worth the trade-off rather than mounting the center just below screen?



I knew the hard surface flooring was a bad idea. Any reason I can't go with commercial carpet tiles directly over the concrete floor?


I'm not sure what my wife would think about a false wall, but I will run it by her. In our old theater, I had bookshelf speakers on stands (Dynaudio Audience 52's) for fronts and surrounds and still have a pair in the living room. One of the reason's the Polks were appealing is I could get the whole set for $710 - well under retail price. If I have to go in-walls, what if I went with something like this: Klipsch R-5502 W II's for the fronts and center, and Klipsch 5650 for the surrounds, and some sort of inexpensive ceiling speakers (Polks again?) for the atmos speakers? I think I could get the setup for $950.



Thanks for pointing out that that Onkyo doesn't have the right processing. I did find the Denon 4400H for $750 from an authorized dealer. If it helps, I do have a 7 channel amp I could use (an Anthem PVA-7 that's been in storage for six years).



I'm trying to do this buildout as inexpensively as possible (shooting for $11K total). Any more than that and my wife will veto the HT room and insist on a pool!


**By the way - It's amazing to me how much more discretionary money I had before kids! Now I have champagne taste and a beer budget!



Thanks for your help!

Pictures and descriptions of the proposed room and the spaces surrounding it would be very helpful.



Do you mind me asking where you found the 4400H for that price? Another person I know is looking for one. PM me if need be.



Personally, I would veto the the second layout schematic immediately. That pushes the seating right up against the wall, which is very detrimental to any kind of quality audio presentation. I would rather you go with the first layout with the screen wall on the short end, even if it means some of your guests will have less than optimal sound or visuals. That's why tiered seating is best.



The Emotiva or even the Ascend speakers I mentioned would, in my humble opinion, be much better sounding than the Polk or Klipsch that you talked about. Yes, the Emotiva's are more like Darth Vader speakers, but the sound is much more natural given their planar ribbon tweeters, and they get excellent reviews. They put out a lot of sound for the money and at close out, the deal is even sweeter. Using your older amp would really make them sing. Besides, putting them behind a lightly built false wall would hide the T1's from your wife's disapproving gaze. Klipsch tends to be nails on a chalkboard once you crank the volume and they aren't actually using compression tweeters. The build quality of Polk speakers nowadays leaves something to be desired.


The minimal dip in screen brightness and "crispness" is peanuts in comparison to the overall goal of attaining matched sound and picture like a professional cinema or dubbing studio. There is just no comparison once you get the audio aligned with the image. It's like... magic!


Even after all this, if your wife vetos the AT screen wall (pssst... it's worth it and not expensive to build and Screen Ticket AT material is only about $50 or so more)... the Emotiva C2 center speaker, while big for a compromised horizontal center (you want vertical speakers if you can help it - hence the AT screen), is an excellent match for the T1's and has very clear dialog reproduction. But their stock will give out pretty soon. Emotiva's deal is causing a resurgence in interest here and elsewhere - even with the less than fashionable cabinets.



For Dolby Atmos, you do want 7.1.4 (or greater - though that does increase costs) over and above 5.1.2 processing. The whole point is getting objects moving in various spots throughout the room for the best 3D sound.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #10 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Another speaker option I just stumbled across is the Hsu Research HIW-1 In-Wall. I know their subs are well regarded and the bookshelf version of this speaker has a few good reviews. They seam to be sold in sets of two and I'm not sure if they would break a set, but If I used them for all channels I could get them for a decent price. Would they be better than the Klipsch or Polk?



I was never a huge Klipsch fan for music, but I don't know if I would find them too bright for movies. Historically, I will say that I am much less picky about my movie sounds than music (which I mostly use headphones for nowadays). Klipsch is what our local theater uses.



Also I could if recommended take MDF and "box in" the wall so the speaker isn't having to fill the entire wall cavity between the studs. To be honest I'm not sure why more in-walls aren't a box you insert into the wall like the Triads (which look nice but are out of my price range).

The HB-1 MK2 speakers for the front three and the matching in-wall's for the four main level surrounds would be a very good budget alternative if you feel your money is getting squeezed. They are much more musical than either the Klipsch (bad for movies and music - blech!) or the Polk's (comparing the latter, the HB-1's are much more dynamic). I would call HSU Research and ask for the dimensions to create your own stuffed MDF backer boxes for the in-wall's. You might even talk to the head bass man himself - never know.


While a bit more expensive than in-ceiling Polk's, the RSL in-ceiling's are a much better match for dynamic lower level speakers. They kind of sit in the Goldilocks performance middle between Polk's or Mica's and KEF THX or Revel in-ceiling's. Good amount of bass response too.



If you can stretch your budget a tad more (I know, I know) , I would recommend either a ported or sealed Power Sound Audio 15" compact forward firing subwoofer (then get a second after your funds recover). Jaw dropping! They put others to shame for the price. As not a lot of people are familiar with PSA, the company was started by the original owner and creator of SVS. They went back to their made in the USA roots too. Even if you decide down the road to upgrade your speakers, these PSA's will absolutely stay in place.


As for commercial carpet... that would be fine as long as you properly seal your concrete and create a moisture and mildew barrier.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-19-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #11 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I found the Denon at Accessories 4 Less. It is a refurb unit, but they are an Authorized dealer and specialize in refurb units from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo and others.


I'll see what I can talk my wife into with the false wall. Since I was thinking about adding black velvet curtains would it be as easy as finishing the room as normal and building a 2x4 frame wall with no sheetrock and hanging the velvet curtains over it with the speakers behind? I assume I could put my equipment rack back their two (though I would want to have the blu ray player where I can access it.


Thanks!
Mocs123 is online now  
post #12 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
I found the Denon at Accessories 4 Less. It is a refurb unit, but they are an Authorized dealer and specialize in refurb units from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo and others.


I'll see what I can talk my wife into with the false wall. Since I was thinking about adding black velvet curtains would it be as easy as finishing the room as normal and building a 2x4 frame wall with no sheetrock and hanging the velvet curtains over it with the speakers behind? I assume I could put my equipment rack back their two (though I would want to have the blu ray player where I can access it.


Thanks!

If you don't mind a refurb... get this one instead. It has a 2 year warranty extension for $50 more.


https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...s/1.html#!more


Denon and Marantz are sister companies.


I'll address the other part later.
Ladeback likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-19-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #13 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 08:25 AM
Newbie
 
EDJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
I found the Denon at Accessories 4 Less. It is a refurb unit, but they are an Authorized dealer and specialize in refurb units from Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo and others.


I'll see what I can talk my wife into with the false wall. Since I was thinking about adding black velvet curtains would it be as easy as finishing the room as normal and building a 2x4 frame wall with no sheetrock and hanging the velvet curtains over it with the speakers behind? I assume I could put my equipment rack back their two (though I would want to have the blu ray player where I can access it.


Thanks!
Call it a gallery wall or room enhancer. You might win then.
Dan Hitchman likes this.
EDJK is offline  
post #14 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Okay... here it goes.



I was doing a little more speaker shopping and came across a sweet deal at Harman Audio and JBL's web sites. They have refurbed Studio 2 series speakers for a song on a very limited sale (ends in less than a day). Very, very good for budget speakers and from what I've heard their factory refurb units arrive in excellent shape with no glaring complaints so far. They have woofers like the JBL Series 5 that are much more expensive. Much smoother than Klipsch. Throw a big sound.



Three Studio 270's (left / center / right)


https://www.harmanaudio.com/jbl/STUD...hoC4ooQAvD_BwE


Four Studio 210 on-wall surrounds:


https://www.harmanaudio.com/speakers...hoC588QAvD_BwE


If the wife just won't budge on the false wall, here's the lesser horizontal center:


https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STU...RoCLssQAvD_BwE


Here are matching Studio 2 in-ceiling's for Dolby Atmos (you might get lucky and find the reburbed ones, but Harman and JBL's sites are monsters to navigate and things won't pop up in a normal site search):


https://www.harmanaudio.com/STUDIO26...RoCo4wQAvD_BwE




Total for the lower level speakers with towers for the fronts and four on-wall surrounds would be about $610.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-19-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #15 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post

I'll see what I can talk my wife into with the false wall. Since I was thinking about adding black velvet curtains would it be as easy as finishing the room as normal and building a 2x4 frame wall with no sheetrock and hanging the velvet curtains over it with the speakers behind? I assume I could put my equipment rack back their two (though I would want to have the blu ray player where I can access it.


Thanks!

Here's a great idea for a simple false wall (black velvet wrapped top and side panels with acoustically transparent fabric wrapped bottom panel):



















Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #16 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Okay... here it goes.



I was doing a little more speaker shopping and came across a sweet deal at Harman Audio and JBL's web sites. They have refurbed Studio 2 series speakers for a song on a very limited sale (ends in less than a day). Very, very good for budget speakers and from what I've heard their factory refurb units arrive in excellent shape with no glaring complaints so far. They have woofers like the JBL Series 5 that are much more expensive. Much smoother than Klipsch. Throw a big sound.



Three Studio 270's (left / center / right)


https://www.harmanaudio.com/jbl/STUD...hoC4ooQAvD_BwE


Four Studio 210 on-wall surrounds:


https://www.harmanaudio.com/speakers...hoC588QAvD_BwE


If the wife just won't budge on the false wall, here's the lesser horizontal center:


https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STU...RoCLssQAvD_BwE


Here are matching Studio 2 in-ceiling's for Dolby Atmos (you might get lucky and find the reburbed ones, but Harman and JBL's sites are monsters to navigate and things won't pop up in a normal site search):


https://www.harmanaudio.com/STUDIO26...RoCo4wQAvD_BwE




Total for the lower level speakers with towers for the fronts and four on-wall surrounds would be about $610.



That's a killer price! Not long to talk my wife into the false wall though. What are your thoughts on some cheap Atmos speakers (Monprice) that have the same cut out (or smaller) than the JBL's while I wait on a sale or refurb's?


I imagine I will want a sub(s) upgrade in my future, but at least that is easy to do afterward, as long as I get the wiring locations in the right place. As for now, I'm going to try the NXG sub or swap it out with the NHT SubOne I have upstairs.
Mocs123 is online now  
post #17 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
That's a killer price! Not long to talk my wife into the false wall though. What are your thoughts on some cheap Atmos speakers (Monoprice) that have the same cut out (or smaller) than the JBL's while I wait on a sale or refurb's?


I imagine I will want a sub(s) upgrade in my future, but at least that is easy to do afterward, as long as I get the wiring locations in the right place. As for now, I'm going to try the NXG sub or swap it out with the NHT SubOne I have upstairs.



That sounds like a plan! Which Monoprice's were you considering for the ceiling?


What did you think of the false wall above?



A few 2x4's (with moisture proof bottom plates if gluing to concrete with construction adhesive), some flat black paint, a top cross beam to mount the screen frame to and light poplar frames to wrap the fabric around the outside of the screen frame. The cost and construction skills are minimal for the cinema feel and look.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-19-2019 at 09:48 AM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #18 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here are some pictures of the proposed space. Obviously the ping pong table and basketball game would be moved to another part of the basement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1741.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2568728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1740.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	2568730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1739.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	2568732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	2568734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1742.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	2568736  


7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, NXG-NX BAS 500 (for now)

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
Mocs123 is online now  
post #19 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Here are some pictures of the proposed space. Obviously the ping pong table and basketball game would be moved to another part of the basement.

I'm not sure what went wrong, but the images are coming through very tiny. I need a magnifying glass.



What? You don't want a ping pong table in the middle of a theater room?

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #20 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I just saw the wall above. That looks really good! How big of screen is that (assuming it's your's)? I didn't think that you could put your sub(s) back there too.


I haven't really looked at Monoprice, though I do actually already own 4 that I never used (I was going to put them in our living room for rear surrounds years ago. I think they are a 6.5" woofer and 1" tweeter angled 15* with about a 8-8.5" cutout, but I'll have to find them and check.

Last edited by Mocs123; 05-19-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Mocs123 is online now  
post #21 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Try these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1739.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	2568748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	2568750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1742.JPG
Views:	17
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	2568752   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1741.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	2568754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1740.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	2568756  


7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, NXG-NX BAS 500 (for now)

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
Mocs123 is online now  
post #22 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
I just saw the wall above. That looks really good! How big of screen is that (assuming it's your's)? I didn't think that you could put your sub(s) back there too.

Mine, sadly, is still under consideration in the basement (I have Triad Golds stuffed into a tiny room at the moment). This is ack_bk 's theater room.



The screen is 127" diagonal 2.35:1 scope ratio AT. You might be able to go a bit bigger because your room is 16 feet wide and his was only about 12, and you are considering basically one row of seating. The Epson 4010 has powered lens memory, so switching from scope to flat ratios would be a breeze. And no more black bars without needing a pricey anamorphic lens in front of the projector.



With the correct UHD Blu-ray player (necessary for access to the most Dolby Atmos and DTS: X content), you can also shift subtitles up on the screen, so they don't get cut off during a scope ratio film.


You can place one or two subs behind the false wall if you use acoustically transparent grill material on the bottom like Guilford of Maine black FR701, given enough space. The PSA sealed subs I mentioned have pretty svelte cabinets for the raw output.
Ladeback likes this.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-19-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #23 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Try these

Yeah, put the equipment rack in the storage space. Clean it and finish it, so your equipment doesn't get dirty. You then have ready access from outside the theater room. You can also use the space to have media shelving, etc. Centralize your CAT6, router, and modem, and any whole house audio gear here too as a kind of command center.

Double layered drywall (5/8 with 1/2 inch) with a Green Glue sandwich on both sides of the flanking walls (and double drywall on the ceiling) or acoustic rated drywall (a little more expensive, but without the mess since the absorptive goo is baked in) with Roxul Safe 'n' Sound rock wool acoustic batting (Lowe's sells it) laid in the wall and ceiling cavities, with acoustic rated calking sealing any holes or joints, etc. would do wonders in helping to muffle sound to the rest of the house. Of course, the outside wall gets R rated insulation as code requires.

There are various theater construction threads here on the forum that demonstrate how to frame and temporarily block the windows from inside the theater room, so they can be gotten to if need be. Or... during the remodel construction, just take them out and re-frame the wall openings.


Metal resilient channels are an additional consideration for extra sound proofing, though you do start to lose some ceiling height. You're at a normal 8 feet right now. Maybe for the walls.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-19-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #24 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,830
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 808
Do you really want the home theater to be a circulation hub, for the rest of the basement? And maybe you don't really want windows, leaking sound and admitting light?


I would explore the advantages of flipping the room end for end. Close off the side wall, open up the end of the stairs, then use the door on the now back wall, in the back corner, as the entry.

I would also recommend you move the seating off the back wall. And consider 5.1.4 if speaker count is a dollar issue.

I gather you have the seating already, and need but 4 seats. But if you don't, you could do 5 slightly narrower seats, and get that time aligned money seat.

You could treat that storage space wall, and add some cubbies for subs, to utilize some of the storage space to house them. In wall speakers all around, and there also might be the opportunity
to host the av rack right outside the entry door, and maybe even recess a projector hush box in the back wall. That would keep the hdmi cable short, and potentially save you headaches with cable
length issues.

The windows could see hinged columns. Accessible to air out the room, but light controlled. Simple fabric panels could hide acoustical treatments depending on how far off the side wall, the doors are located.

BigmouthinDC recommends some RSL speakers, for ATMOS. And why not use them for surrounds? Some more potent front LRC speakers, and a couple of big DIY subs, with the simplest flat back finish could be a
killer budget option.

I like a space as such because the throw distances aren't huge, and for a bunch of DIY'er capable higher end high yield projects that can let one shift more money into the projector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mocs123 b option.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	2568792  
Tedd is offline  
post #25 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Here's a solid sub deal if you become a Rakuten member:



https://www.rakuten.com/shop/monopri...LAnB4BsYm_ii9g


You can get two Monolith 12" THX subs at that price for about the same price as one PSA vented subwoofer. You would probably need to keep them outside of the false wall as their cabinets are pretty darn big. Two or more subwoofers (matching subs is ideal) help even out bass frequency response in an enclosed room. You can start to compensate for nulls and peaks within the room if you place them strategically.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #26 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
Do you really want the home theater to be a circulation hub, for the rest of the basement? And maybe you don't really want windows, leaking sound and admitting light?


I would explore the advantages of flipping the room end for end. Close off the side wall, open up the end of the stairs, then use the door on the now back wall, in the back corner, as the entry.

I would also recommend you move the seating off the back wall. And consider 5.1.4 if speaker count is a dollar issue.

I gather you have the seating already, and need but 4 seats. But if you don't, you could do 5 slightly narrower seats, and get that time aligned money seat.

You could treat that storage space wall, and add some cubbies for subs, to utilize some of the storage space to house them. In wall speakers all around, and there also might be the opportunity
to host the av rack right outside the entry door, and maybe even recess a projector hush box in the back wall. That would keep the hdmi cable short, and potentially save you headaches with cable
length issues.

The windows could see hinged columns. Accessible to air out the room, but light controlled. Simple fabric panels could hide acoustical treatments depending on how far off the side wall, the doors are located.

BigmouthinDC recommends some RSL speakers, for ATMOS. And why not use them for surrounds? Some more potent front LRC speakers, and a couple of big DIY subs, with the simplest flat back finish could be a
killer budget option.

I like a space as such because the throw distances aren't huge, and for a bunch of DIY'er capable higher end high yield projects that can let one shift more money into the projector.

I had mentioned RSL speakers for Atmos, but seeing as how the OP's budget is kind of tight right now, he's considering something a bit cheaper currently and then upgrading them later. Gotta think about bang for the buck. Personally, I would go for the RSL's or refurbed JBL Studio 2's when he can find them, so there is a more seamless Atmos sound with the JBL's I recommended for the excellent price they are going for.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-19-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #27 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Mocs123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here's what I have figured for the cost. I'd like to keep it under 11K but that might not be possible.


I wouldn't be against some new seating if we can get it affordably. What do you recommend for 5 narrow(ish) seats. I would like recline (or don't mind ottoman), but don't need nor care about power anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cost.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	2568842  

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, NXG-NX BAS 500 (for now)

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
Mocs123 is online now  
post #28 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,830
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 808
I missed that recommendation.

I am all about bang for the buck, but I have kind of shifted that to a more higher end approach. But that approach would be about backer boxes, and prewire, to later do AT when you can do it once, and do it well. I'm not even sure it's
really time for that yet, as the speaker layouts presented, are far bigger issues, with serious design mistakes. Far better results could be had, for zero cash outlay, at this point.

Or I am buying used and dirt cheap for the short term, and then flip that out.

My idea of bang for the buck is to look at what's used, mint, and local. Especially if it's temporary.
Tedd is offline  
post #29 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Dan Hitchman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 14,307
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4431 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
Here's what I have figured for the cost. I'd like to keep it under 11K but that might not be possible.


I wouldn't be against some new seating if we can get it affordably. What do you recommend for 5 narrow(ish) seats. I would like recline (or don't mind ottoman), but don't need nor care about power anything.

I'm stumped on seating right now, but I do HIGHLY recommend that you stay away from seating surfaces with Bonded Leather. They will fail on you miserably. Top grain or leather matched or cloth.


I would also recommend that you add the Panasonic 820 UHD Blu-ray player to your list, even if you have to wait on your seating a little bit. It is an excellent player for projector owners as you can set an HDR to SDR conversion level, and it has subtitle shift for scope screens and subtitle brightness adjustments. Value Electronics is a great place to buy this premium player. Just too bad Oppo is no longer selling their 203's!

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 05-19-2019 at 02:10 PM.
Dan Hitchman is offline  
post #30 of 165 Old 05-19-2019, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,830
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 808
If there is traditional style seating that doesn't eat up much of a budget, I have yet to find it too. Fusion Jives seem to be the mid range go to, here on the forum.

A friend uses a bunch of IKEA Poangs in his theater. With two big recliners. I actually liked the Poangs more, from a comfort standpoint. And there's no way I'll nap off, when tired

I am kind of exploring some alternative options since I don't want recline. I might cheap out and simply refurbish some actually commercial theater rocker seats. Or go with non-traditional seating, since my next room's finish is more art deco meets industrial, then the traditional wainscoting and columns.

If these Destiny seats were available here, I'd drop the coin for five.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	century-accent-chair-w-stainless-steel-frame-diamond-sofa-black-centurychbl-shipping-included-16.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2568862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Metal%20Frame%20Chair%20Blue%20ZOOm%203.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	2568864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Destiny Seating Shelby Slider cinema seat.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	2568866  
Tedd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off