Help with mounting velvet fabric on screen wall - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 4 Post By Mark the Red
  • 2 Post By corradizo
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 10 Old 05-19-2019, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Help with mounting velvet fabric on screen wall

I would like to cover my front/screen wall with black velvet fabric (e.g. Joann's black velvet fabric or similar). To be honest the "Black the Better" thread seems very helpful but it is intimidating to read through as it currently has 409 pages to scroll through.

I do not have baffle wall. Projection screen will be hung on the front wall, with tower speakers on each side.
I am just covering the screen wall with black velvet. The ceiling will be painted black, and the side walls will likely be painted in dark, but not black, paint. Floor will have patterned dark carpet.

My drywall will be up by the end of this week, can I just staple fabric on directly onto drywall? Or is it best to mount to wood panel, FabriTrak system or something similar?

Last edited by CMoney88; 05-19-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-19-2019, 07:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5489 Post(s)
Liked: 5075
you can staple directly to the screen wall but you need a plan to hide the staples. The one and only fabric directly on the screen wall project I did involved making wood frame fabric panels and wrapping with fabric. It is the staggered walls project in my signature

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9550.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	2569050  
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-19-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4400 Post(s)
Liked: 2760
I mounted my velvet 7 years ago on my walls and ceiling using thumb tacks temporarily to see how velvet would work. It's still like this today.

Some day I plan to get some 1x1's and roll the top, repeat on the bottom and stretch the velvet and screw those 1x1's to the to and bottom corners.

I don't think staples would show up. If they did you could sharpie over them.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-19-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Framed my screenwall out similar to Bigmouth's photo. I then made rectangular frames out of MDF and wrapped the fabric tight and stapled it to the back. I also used the speaker grill ball/socket mounts to attach each one to the framework. They can be easily removed if I need back there. Also did the same thing with my soffit. Good luck.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-19-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Although, my first theater was similar to yours... I just painted the front wall flat black. Worked really nice.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
I mounted my velvet 7 years ago on my walls and ceiling using thumb tacks temporarily to see how velvet would work. It's still like this today.

Some day I plan to get some 1x1's and roll the top, repeat on the bottom and stretch the velvet and screw those 1x1's to the to and bottom corners.

I don't think staples would show up. If they did you could sharpie over them.
Mark, would you recommend first painting wall black before mounting velvet?
I'm thinking if fabric ever rips then it would look really ugly/obvious with the bright grey drywall color showing through.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-22-2019, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I used custom measured wood frames wedged into the screen wall.

Sides

Bottom

Its really hard to photograph black velvet, but here it is. I have the advantage of a large screen and bevelled sound panels to do the 45 degree position, but it holds great. Also allows me to easily pull them out if I need to get behind the screen at some time in the future...

post #8 of 10 Old 05-22-2019, 09:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked: 1570

I added these to the sides. Wrapped in the Velvet and stapled it on being careful not to over stretch it. I worked around the existing trim so all that I've built is fully reversible.
rboster and bubbrik like this.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-23-2019, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=BIGmouthinDC;58071640]you can staple directly to the screen wall but you need a plan to hide the staples. The one and only fabric directly on the screen wall project I did involved making wood frame fabric panels and wrapping with fabric. It is the staggered walls project in my signature

Thanks guys, for all the picture posts, you've given me some great ideas.
I like the framing you did here BIG, because now it gives me an idea to make DIY removable masking panels for the sides, when going from 2.4:1 to 16:9. It looks like the wood frame here is flush with the screen, but if I want removable side panels then I guess I will have the wood framing around the screen come out a bit.

I am also thinking of add velvet to the side walls and ceiling, but just probably for 2-3 feet from the screen. It wouldn't be noticeable on the ceiling since I'm painting that black anyway, but would it look odd on the side wall? I have not finalized painting colors on the side walls yet, but probably be 2 color scheme (dark/medium grey on top, wine/burgundy red on the bottom).

In other related news, 60% off Joann's Fabrics this week, so I ordered 16 yards of Premier Velvet last night. I'm ready!
post #10 of 10 Old 05-23-2019, 06:02 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5489 Post(s)
Liked: 5075
two feet of black on the side walls of this project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2576.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	2.57 MB