1Likes
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 6 Old 05-20-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
To recesess or not

This is something I struggled with initially and I think I regret my decision. My room is 13'1" wide. My side surrounds are Focal super birds. Rounding up, each speaker sits off the wall 6" leaving me with a 12'1" room. I will have 2 rows of seating and I would not want to have a row that is much more than 8' wide to have an easy path to the back.

All major drywall work has already been completed. Double drywall, green glue, caulked. No tape/mud yet.

I am debating creating a backer box for these to sit flush in the wall. On one side i have easy access from the back side since I can remove the one sheet of drywall and have direct access. The other side would be a little trickier as it's a hat channel wall with no direct access. The box would fit almost perfectly in between the hat channel. The box would get attached to the studs of the niche , which is decoupled with ib3 brackets. height wise, I'd be up against the 4' hat channel which puts the speakers tweeter at a nice height for the first row.

What would you do?? Is it worth it to gain 1' of walkway to the 2nd row?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cutout.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	2569160  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-20-2019, 09:41 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5506 Post(s)
Liked: 5095
If you are contemplating any kind of acoustical treatments, even just one inch you can hide the installation lip for a front side inwall installed backer box, You can get the idea from the attached picture. This is a double layer room and the box is screwed and glued to the drywall. keeping it decoupled. I have no idea of the audio impact for that particular speaker if you recess it a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0212.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	2569164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0215.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2569166  
elitemikes likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-20-2019, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
If you are contemplating any kind of acoustical treatments, even just one inch you can hide the installation lip for a front side inwall installed backer box, You can get the idea from the attached picture. This is a double layer room and the box is screwed and glued to the drywall. keeping it decoupled. I have no idea of the audio impact for that particular speaker if you recess it a bit.
That is an interesting idea and would certainly make installing much easier on that wall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I would vote yes, recess whatever you can. That’s not a lot of width to begin with and in my opinion would look better aesthetically.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-20-2019, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2178 Post(s)
Liked: 1384
I recessed all my speakers for exactly the same reason. A lot of back boxes screwed and glued to the drywall.

Have me the bit of extra width I needed.

Goodbye to a great audio and video genius and writer... JOHN GANNON. I enjoyed your friendship, wit and a nice long run we took around Indianapolis at CEDIA years back... and for buying my Runco 980 Ultra years back... you saved my ass! Rest in peace.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 184
DO IT!

I have just under 13ft of width and it is really tight. The Volts hanging off the wall make it all that much more of a squeeze. I was originally planning on hiding them in columns, but the width is just too much. I’ll instead be cutting into the walls and recessing the boxes before I finish the wall treatments. I should have planned on it from the start, but now I have to cut drywall and most likely re-structure the studs that I’ll probably hit in doing so.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page