To be honest, the part of this project I was the most nervous about was the HVAC requirements.
Being charitable, I will have it said that the local HVAC community (based on 5 different pros I contacted) here wouldn't touch this project with a 10 foot pole.
Almost all of them said "lets just install a whole new HVAC multi-zone furnace and AC!!!!". Because why spend just $2k for a silent, efficient, dedicated room fresh air supplying, dehumidifying, heating and cooling minisplit, WHEN you can spend $15k for an expensive, whole house HVAC system that does none of that better with major sound flanking problems to boot? Amirite guys?? Buy now, think later!!!
The North American HVAC communities see these things as a threat, and treat their customers with the same contempt. I'm happy all of you found great HVAC support, because where I live, they do not exist. / end rant
I was going to go with a wall mounted mini split (standard) but thanks to Peter the Greeks thread, I learned about ducted models that could input fresh air which solved the secondary problems of stale air. After much research from this point on, the only real option was the Fujitsu. This had an additional benefit of allowing me to mount it vertically. It also has an industry leading ridiculous static pressure rating of 0.36 inWG that dwarved the competition.
Running 8-10" ducts from the corner of my basement to the Home Theater was going to be a huge problem in terms headroom in the adjacent space. This guys youtube convinced me to do it VERTICALLY and adjacent to the theater. Although I lack his awesome plenum sheet metal manufacturing skills (i.e., two way curved and flared!) as you will see. Not sure if this makes sense, but this ducted mini split is now installed in a "closet" in the next room with my amp rack. Perfect solution.
Got a crazy good deal in the winter for a brand new one, delivered no problems and the first step was a solid mount on the wall. Used some 3/4" russian birch with some 2x4's / rubber feat to mount it vertically. The rubber mounts are threaded right through in case you think it will fail over time. Fujitsu gives you a nice template for this.
This nifty spreadsheet tool helped me anticipate the static pressure issues. THe numbers are changed from original calcs but it worked out to 0.28in when fan is on full power (never gonna happen in real life). I recommend this if you going the same route as static pressure builds up REAL fast in long runs or narrow ducts.
Again, the local HVAC community wouldn't offer a charging service for any price (!) so I had to final mile this myself.
Learned everything from this guy here who has the best how-to on the subject I've ever read:
Ordered all the tools online and they arrived within 2 days.
Pulling the wires through the whip at the condenser was a little tough but got it done. I oversized the wires just in case and ran a dedicated ground back to the junction box even though EMT conduit is technically a ground itself.
Ran conduit from the junction box to the condenser to the air handler was a little tough with EMT (required in Illinois: you CANNOT use the 4 wire cables). I prevailed in the end. I also found and installed a handy triple switch disconnect at the air handler. This is supposed to be done by code, but no regular HVAC guys do it, but I was still bitter so did it anyway.
Flared and set the couplings to the necessary torque. You need to use the clutch tool to flare the new refrigerant lines or else they will leak. Also DO NOT OVERTORQUE the 1/4" line as its not the same as the 3/8" which I almost did myself.
I then got my gauges hooked up and vacuumed down the line. I later learned you won't get a good vacuum reading with the gauges as the hoses off gas under high vacuum and will make it seem like a leak is present., so I made my own vacuum hose out of copper. This vacuum pump from AMazon got it down to under 200 in like 10 minutes so I knew I had a good connection.
I then nitrogen pressure tested it to 225 overnight with no losses.
Now was the moment of truth. I vaccumed it down again to like 36 microns over 20 minutes (!!!) disconnected the gauges and released the refrigerant and fired it up. Ran perfect the first time with wonderful cool air being now flown into the room no problem!!
I was pretty proud of myself. I later plumbed in a drain line and a fresh air intake using 4" ducts with a damper to keep the air fresh. I found this transparent dryer lint filter that I attached some red string to visually gauge how much fresh air was being sucked into the room.
I show some pictures from inside the theater side showing the supply line using russian birch + linaccoustic as the duct. I doubled up the layers with green glue to make it work. Did some final touchups by insulating the lines and moved on to other tasks.
Finished Outside Product with the fresh air vent and lineset insulation installed