Another 'How-to Run Electrical in Riser Question' - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Another 'How-to Run Electrical in Riser Question'

So over the past few days I've been reading through a ton of old posts here in the forums on riser construction. I'm currently in the middle of my build and at the electrical stage.

I've gathered the idea that it's okay to run the wiring the way I'm intending, but I'm want into clarify something.

The riser is on top of carpet and will be pushed up against the wall. Is it okay to just drill a hole in the drywall and thru the riser frame to run a piece of romex. And also not need any sort of conduit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-22-2019, 05:15 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5500 Post(s)
Liked: 5085
I've done exactly that many times. Inside the riser the same codes apply as wiring inside a wall, It needs to be secured. I usually remove the carpet. It will never be the same anyway. If you lived in Chicago or some other cities the answer would likely be you need conduit. It is easy to tell, if the rest of your house has conduit, you need it in your riser.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2019, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I've done exactly that many times. Inside the riser the same codes apply as wiring inside a wall, It needs to be secured. I usually remove the carpet. It will never be the same anyway. If you lived in Chicago or some other cities the answer would likely be you need conduit. It is easy to tell, if the rest of your house has conduit, you need it in your riser.
Thanks for the response. Yeah I'm not too too worried about being code compliant, just also wanted to make sure it's still relatively safe. And no I don't have any conduit for electrical in the walls anywhere else in the house.

I thought about taking up the carpet (I technically I still could). But it was an added step I didn't feel was worth the extra work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2019, 12:58 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5500 Post(s)
Liked: 5085
If this is a basement project, don't think twice about not taking it up. If you have a leaky water heater that you don't notice until you step off the stairs all the carpet will likely need to come out. Even if your disaster recovery service (paid by your insurance company) thinks they can dry it out, they won't be able to get the soaked carpet under the riser dry. It won't take long for your basement to get that damp moldy smell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page