AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dedicated Theater Design & Construction (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   Drywall door?????? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/3068890-drywall-door.html)

gazander 05-22-2019 05:24 AM

Drywall door??????

If i have some left over 5/8, was thinking to do 3 sheets with green glue between. Just a thought, and i can also laminate in wood for durability and frame the edges....

cathodeRay 05-22-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gazander (Post 58082920)
If i have some left over 5/8, was thinking to do 3 sheets with green glue between. Just a thought, and i can also laminate in wood for durability and frame the edges....

X and Y forces are easy to visualize and minimize with good framing but doors experience a lot of torsional/twisting forces which are not intuitive. If you want to try for fun then make sure each side of the door has a very well fitted '2x4' X across the entire plane, like a large barn door, or sandwich the door between 2 sheets of plywood so you won't see the cracks. Now your door weighs 3 tons so plan on much stronger hinges, but the door will still sag over time so also plan on flexible weather stripping because door gaps is where you'll leak the most sound anyway.

Mocs123 05-22-2019 07:23 AM

Would Corning 703 be better than sheetrock?

smhunter1983 05-22-2019 07:32 AM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by gazander (Post 58082920)

Use MDF with GG. Its more dense.

Door creation is a tricky thing. You need to consider the swing and close gap as you thicken it and if needed a beveled edge for proper closure.

I created my door from a standard solid core and laminated 3 sheets of 5/8 MDF + GG and finish nails. Complete the surround with custom header and Frame. Complete the seal of the outside with rubber gasket jambs. You can get the jamb kit from SoundProofing Company online.

gazander 05-22-2019 07:33 AM

Yeah, thats a good idea... Don't think corning will work well, i had mass in mind.

BIGmouthinDC 05-22-2019 12:51 PM

Damped mass is good. Weight and hinge strength will be critical, it will sag over time. If you used a pre-hung door the screws are only jamb thickness long. They should be replaced with longer screws into the rough in framing. Maybe add more hinges, Total of two at top and two at bottom. Make sure you can still pull the pins. You will need to either move the door stop molding or deal with a door that is not flush with the wall by building up the molding around it depending on what side you add the layers. Just a heads up the door lock side of the door is tapered not perfectly square. It is very not noticeable but you need to take that into account in your planning.

gazander 05-22-2019 04:30 PM

thanks all