In-ceiling wiring for 8k HDMI... (and projector distance) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By JRock3x8
  • 1 Post By mattztt
  • 1 Post By smhunter1983
  • 1 Post By shashankmittal
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC
  • 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 7
In-ceiling wiring for 8k HDMI... (and projector distance)

Electricians will be arriving in about a week to wire up our new house, and I need to provide in-wall/in-ceiling cables and specify ceiling projector position.

I'd like to future-proof by installing an 8k/48Gbps HDMI 2.1 cable in the ceiling. My questions are:
  • Is a passive 10m/30' 48Gbps HDMI cable a real thing? The only one I can find is this one from unknown manufacturer: https://www.amazon.com.au/SIKAI-Brai...07HP2BFGN?th=1
  • If I use female-to-female wall terminators on each end, and connect short 48Gbps cables to devices, will I still be able to get 48Gbps device to device? Total length would be 11.5m/38'.
  • Would installing a DisplayPort 1.4a cable be worth while? I believe max cable length is 3m, so I guess I would need an extremely expensive optical fibre/active cable? (And added lag when gaming?)

I'd also like to terminate the HDMI and power cables at a spot in the ceiling that will work for future projector upgrade. My room is 5.5m/18' long, and I'd like to allow for a 120' and 150' screen. Is there a best-fit/average position that will work with most projectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1689 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Future proof it and just add good 2” wide tubes from on place to the next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
psdillon likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I don't believe there is any cable on the market which can be trusted to adequately support 8K over a long run. I doubt its even possible with a passive cable and the chipsets for active cables don't exist yet. The certification standard for Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable (there is no such thing as a "2.1 cable") have not even been released yet.
Even the best 18Gbps cables are not a sure thing and should be tested with your equipment in the room before a permanent install in the wall.

You should never use female-to-female wall terminators if it can at all be avoided, particularly on a long run. There are many stories here of someone's HDMI issues being solved when they bypassed a problematic coupler. The best results will come from a direct connection from source to display. There are aesthetically pleasing treatments available for where the cable enters and exits the wall.

As Jason says the only way to future-proof is to install conduit. Replace it when it malfunctions or becomes outdated. That's what I've done. If you cannot run a conduit, then run the best cable you can get for now (probably a fiber optic cable from Monoprice or Ruipro) as well as multiple runs of Cat6 which may be able to carry a future higher-bandwidth signal.
psdillon likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
I don't believe there is any cable on the market which can be trusted to adequately support 8K over a long run. I doubt its even possible with a passive cable and the chipsets for active cables don't exist yet. The certification standard for Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable (there is no such thing as a "2.1 cable") have not even been released yet.
Even the best 18Gbps cables are not a sure thing and should be tested with your equipment in the room before a permanent install in the wall.

You should never use female-to-female wall terminators if it can at all be avoided, particularly on a long run. There are many stories here of someone's HDMI issues being solved when they bypassed a problematic coupler. The best results will come from a direct connection from source to display. There are aesthetically pleasing treatments available for where the cable enters and exits the wall.

As Jason says the only way to future-proof is to install conduit. Replace it when it malfunctions or becomes outdated. That's what I've done. If you cannot run a conduit, then run the best cable you can get for now (probably a fiber optic cable from Monoprice or Ruipro) as well as multiple runs of Cat6 which may be able to carry a future higher-bandwidth signal.
https://mailchi.mp/metraelec/take-4k...s?e=53febb2285
psdillon likes this.

Video: Dedicated Light Controlled Room | JVC NX5 | 100" AT Silver Ticket 1.1 gain Screen
Audio: Sound Controlled Room | Denon X4500h running 5.1.4 | LR/Atmos - Pioneer SP-EFS73, Center - Pioneer SP-EC73, Rear/Atmos - Pioneer SP-EBS73-LR, Sub - SVS PC-2000
Sources: Nvidia Shield | Panasonic UB-820
post #5 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 127
I agree with what matztt said. To add some more details to the discussion -

1. Avoid in-wall jacks or terminations. I had to remove all of mine due to HDMI handshake issues.
2. There is no passive or active HDMI cable that can handle 48Gbps for HDMI 2.1. Even the so called "certified" 18Gbps cables fail over longer runs.
3. Put a 2" PVC conduit from one end to the other, so that you can add/replace cables in future easily.
4. Use a fiber optic HDMI cable from Monoprice or Ruipro (both on Amazon) and run them from your source to the projector (home run) without any terminations or wall jacks. This is currently the ONLY way to have a reliable HDMI connection running full bandwidth.
5. If I was you, I would add a pair or more, of shielded CAT6 cables and terminate them using wall jacks. Just leave the cables in the conduit. If in future you end up running HDBaseT, you can use the CAT6 cables for it and avoid HDMI cables all together.
psdillon likes this.

Audio: Bryston SP4 | NAD M27
Video: BenQ HT9060 | Stewart Cima | Custom HTPC | Sony UBP-X800M2
Speakers: B&W CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, 4 x DS3 | 4 x SVS SB4000
Acoustic treatment: GSK Acoustics
Furniture: Middle Atlantic RSC rack |
Seatcraft recliners | Sound Anchors

Last edited by shashankmittal; 05-22-2019 at 08:07 PM.
post #6 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the great advice.

I will ask my builder about the conduit - fingers crossed we're allowed to cut 2" holes through the floor joists.

I've had a look at those bull-nose face plates to avoid the wall terminators. Our plaster will be sealed and mounted on furring channels and isolated from the frame, so I'll need to figure out some sort of sealant that can be cleanly removed and replaced when changing cables. Although I suppose I could replace the face plate as well.

HDBaseT sounds great with it's 0.01ms latency. I will add the cat6 cables and hope that future HDBaseT revisions keep up in terms of bandwidth.

On the second part, any pointers on one-size-fits-all projector-to-screen distance?
post #7 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 04:09 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5491 Post(s)
Liked: 5080
1 1/2 works too. You can drill holes up to 1/3 the height of a joist. 2 is overkill for an HDMI cable. Rigid grey PVC conduit is the value choice be sure to use sweeping curves not plumbing fittings. Or you can use Carlon Resiguard. looks a like smurf tube. pricier but easier to deal with turns. It is on Amazon if your local electrical supply houses don't stock it.
psdillon likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 05-22-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #8 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 04:18 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by psdillon View Post
On the second part, any pointers on one-size-fits-all projector-to-screen distance?

give me your screen size and format. specify if your inches are width or diagonal and 16:9 or 2.35:1.
psdillon likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
give me your screen size and format. specify if your inches are width or diagonal and 16:9 or 2.35:1.
Thanks Jeff. I wanted to allow for a 16:9 screen with diagonal measurement of 150". Could you estimate for 120" diagonal as well?

(Our viewing distance will be 10'. The viewing distance calculators tell me that's too close for a 150" screen, but 8k calculators tell me that's not close enough...)
post #10 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 05:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

the current crop of JVC, Sony and Epson projectors will fit

150 inch diagonal 17 to 29 feet screen to lens
120 inch diagonal 14 to 24 feet
I like to position it over the heads of people sitting in the second row or farther based on available space. There is a brightness hit the further back you move a projector

with an 18 ft room you should look at JVC or Sony they can be 15'-8" and 15 respectively from a 150 inch screen.
psdillon likes this.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 05-22-2019 at 05:42 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Jeff!
post #12 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 05:42 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

post #13 of 13 Old 05-22-2019, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

I now realise that the projector is right up at the back wall, which makes my cable upgrading issue a lot easier if I move my equipment to the back wall. I'm confident of getting conduit into the wall (vs ceiling), and at worst case I could drop a new cable along the wall and hide it behind a feature or some sort of diffraction treatment.

Jeff you've helped me before with this room - you're an amazing asset to the community.

I've attached the plan and render of my modest room in case anyone is interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Render.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	2570392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plan.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	2570394  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement