Full Circle Cinema Build - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 492Likes

post #61 of 314 Old 07-22-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I've got to give props on your theater name, and wish I'd thought of it myself. My wife was my manager at Blockbuster Video when I first met her. That shared love of movies continued throughout. And the best thing about it was that there was never a worry about the infamous wife approval factor. She was the type that when we were looking at a new 55" plasma TV, she nudged me and pointed to the 65".

Remember, no matter where you go... You're not where you were anymore.

HJ Movie House Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 314 Old 07-22-2019, 12:54 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Not to take away from your Theater Build but nice woodshop you have there.. Just got into it myself and my wife and I built a 400 sqft shop last year to do a bit of metal/wood working. It sure is nice having all the tools needed to build a Theater and not have to pay for a contractor.

-Chris
pkinneb likes this.

Last edited by PreciseD; 07-22-2019 at 12:57 PM.
post #63 of 314 Old 07-22-2019, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moebius View Post
I've got to give props on your theater name, and wish I'd thought of it myself. My wife was my manager at Blockbuster Video when I first met her. That shared love of movies continued throughout. And the best thing about it was that there was never a worry about the infamous wife approval factor. She was the type that when we were looking at a new 55" plasma TV, she nudged me and pointed to the 65".
That's hilarious...earlier this year we were replacing the 44" tv over our fireplace in the living room, we brought home a 55" I hung it up and looked at her underwhelmed face, she's like I think you should have gone with the 65" so never one to miss an opportunity back to BB we went

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4713.JPG
Views:	385
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	2593526  

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 314 Old 07-22-2019, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciseD View Post
Not to take away from your Theater Build but nice woodshop you have there.. Just got into it myself and my wife and I built a 400 sqft shop last year to do a bit of metal/wood working. It sure is nice having all the tools needed to build a Theater and not have to pay for a contractor.

-Chris
That's awesome Chris!! You can do about anything you want with the tools you've assembled there.

Woodworking is definitely my first hobby, followed closely by movies, and cars. My first shop was about 300 sqft and I sold the wife on it by getting quotes to finish the basement of the house we were in at the time. I think the quotes even back then (20 yrs ago) were like $25K. So I spent 3K on tools and 12K on the basement she's pretty much let me do what I want since. I still get a couple quote every time and usually a tool or too comes with each project but now I pretty much have most the things I need. I did by a Bosch laser level and a digital tape and both have been great on this project! My current shop is about 1000 sq ft on the main level and has a 160 sq ft upstairs. Its heated cooled, surround sound, TVs on both floors, internet, Oneida Dust Collection, piped compressed air throughout, and a small spray room, etc pretty much my dream shop for sure. As I was building it my neighbor was getting into woodworking so a lot of my old stationary tools are now in his shop

PS on a side note its never that messy LOL I really need to clean it up

post #65 of 314 Old 07-22-2019, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
That's awesome Chris!! You can do about anything you want with the tools you've assembled there.

Woodworking is definitely my first hobby, followed closely by movies, and cars. My first shop was about 300 sqft and I sold the wife on it by getting quotes to finish the basement of the house we were in at the time. I think the quotes even back then (20 yrs ago) were like $25K. So I spent 3K on tools and 12K on the basement she's pretty much let me do what I want since. I still get a couple quote every time and usually a tool or too comes with each project but now I pretty much have most the things I need. I did by a Bosch laser level and a digital tape and both have been great on this project! My current shop is about 1000 sq ft on the main level and has a 160 sq ft upstairs. Its heated cooled, surround sound, TVs on both floors, internet, Oneida Dust Collection, piped compressed air throughout, and a small spray room, etc pretty much my dream shop for sure. As I was building it my neighbor was getting into woodworking so a lot of my old stationary tools are now in his shop

PS on a side note its never that messy LOL I really need to clean it up
I always tell my wife we will save money if I do it myself and while we do I usually end up buying A LOT of tools lol. The money I saved building my own shop allowed me to put in floor heating in it, buy all the woodworking tools I needed and have enough left over to buy a tune for my Audi. I too am into cars, I have a few that are highly tuned/built.

Just like my Theater Room I am building now, I am doing 100% by myself and saving a boat load.. I can't imagine what it would have cost to do if I got a GC and subs...

I just upgraded my dust collection to an Oneida Dust Deputy XL in a custom cabinet and 6" ducting all around the shop. That picture I posted was a few days after I sheathed in the shop in (November 2018) I have since acquired more tools and will need to add another 400 sqft next year lol..

Picture of collector attached with my two little helpers.. Thanks to these two girls for helping me to convince the wife to build "them" a theater..

Ok Ok enough hijacking your thread!

-Chris
pkinneb and MinHeadroom like this.

Last edited by PreciseD; 07-22-2019 at 05:09 PM.
post #66 of 314 Old 07-25-2019, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Finished the main riser frame still need to do the steps but forgot to take a picture of it. Tonight I didn't have a lot of time but I was able to get the blocking on the back of the curve laminated and installed. I used 3 3/8" strips and glued and screwed them to the framing with the help of a couple clamps.

That finishes the framing of the soffits now I need to finish the HVAC and run some wiring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P198.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2594730   Click image for larger version

Name:	P199.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	2594732   Click image for larger version

Name:	P200.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	2594734  

post #67 of 314 Old 07-29-2019, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Here is the riser pic I forgot to take the other day, still need to do the steps. It's only 5' deep becuase I will be using 4 commercial theater seats in the back row.

Next I put the second coat of MH Ready Patch on the door. Seems to work well no shrinking and easy to work with. Not sure if it's really needed but for $16 probably worth doing. It took about 3/4 of a gal to do this door.

Then I went back to work on the HVAC. First I re plumbed and patched the ceiling of the back left return. Then I finished making front boxes, Installed them, and finally ran the flex duct. Big that really helped crossing them over like you suggested I can run the fan on 4 now with no audible noise. Thanks!

After running some math and having it checked and confirmed by MississippiMan I laid out the 125" (98" 16:9) CIH screen. I was concerned about the front L/R speaker placement but they will be just outside the screen, which should work fine.

Lastly I received some LED parts I ordered so I can start testing a few things prior to installing them in the theater.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P201.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	2596154   Click image for larger version

Name:	P202.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	2596156   Click image for larger version

Name:	P203.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	2596158   Click image for larger version

Name:	P204.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	2596160   Click image for larger version

Name:	P205.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	2596162  

Name:	P206.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2596164   Click image for larger version

Name:	P207.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2596166   Click image for larger version

Name:	P208.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	2596168  
James92TSi and Ladeback like this.

post #68 of 314 Old 07-29-2019, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Wow! Beyond impressed!
pkinneb likes this.
post #69 of 314 Old 08-04-2019, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Ran through a 500' spool of Monoprice wire lucky for me Amazon sells it with next day shipping so I was able to get another 250' delivered on a Sunday and finish up. Kinda funny you can by it on Amazon cheaper and with faster shipping then directly from them.

I made a cardboard template for the back curve on the soffit

That worked out well

Then a made a quick tool to mark the front I will have a 6" tray for lighting on the front.

All done.

Just a little bit more light wiring and then I can put in the insulation and start the final drywall of the theater and the entire basement project
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P209.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	2598408   Click image for larger version

Name:	P210.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	2598410   Click image for larger version

Name:	P211.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	2598412   Click image for larger version

Name:	P212.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	2598414   Click image for larger version

Name:	P213.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	2598416  

Name:	P214.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	2598418   Click image for larger version

Name:	P215.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	2598420   Click image for larger version

Name:	P216.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2598422  

post #70 of 314 Old 08-05-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 201
The theater and whole basement are looking great. You're basically a man after my own heart as my hobbies are woodworking, home theater, and fixing up my old porsche. That is a great shop - having all the tools and plenty of space to put them to use makes everything so much nicer. I really like a lot of what you've done there with the benches and shop organization especially the split top Roubo. Did you use the Benchcrafted plans? I see you have their hardware. How do you find they work? I've got a bench that I built that's kind of a hybrid of a Festool MFT table and a traditional workbench - mostly it's for assembly. But I've got a pile of quartersawn white oak and maple in 12/4 that's been acclimating in my shop for almost a year bound for a Roubo...

Roll Tide.
post #71 of 314 Old 08-05-2019, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3bham View Post
The theater and whole basement are looking great. You're basically a man after my own heart as my hobbies are woodworking, home theater, and fixing up my old porsche. That is a great shop - having all the tools and plenty of space to put them to use makes everything so much nicer. I really like a lot of what you've done there with the benches and shop organization especially the split top Roubo. Did you use the Benchcrafted plans? I see you have their hardware. How do you find they work? I've got a bench that I built that's kind of a hybrid of a Festool MFT table and a traditional workbench - mostly it's for assembly. But I've got a pile of quartersawn white oak and maple in 12/4 that's been acclimating in my shop for almost a year bound for a Roubo...
Thanks! Regarding the bench I did use the plans and don't recall making any changes to them. I love the bench (first real bench I have had) and the hardware while expensive works as advertised every time, I love it! Do it you won't regret having a proper workbench especially for hand work.
p3bham likes this.

post #72 of 314 Old 08-05-2019, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Knocked out the steps to night

Need to get to HD and the lumberyard before I can due much more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P217.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	2599140   Click image for larger version

Name:	P218.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	2599142   Click image for larger version

Name:	P219.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	2599144  
p3bham likes this.

post #73 of 314 Old 08-06-2019, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Thanks! Regarding the bench I did use the plans and don't recall making any changes to them. I love the bench (first real bench I have had) and the hardware while expensive works as advertised every time, I love it! Do it you won't regret having a proper workbench especially for hand work.
I'm sure it will make things a lot easier. I do a ton of hand work so yeah the vices will come in handy for sure. My current bench has a vice that works fairly well for sawing and chiseling but I'm only planing against a stop. So the wagon vice is what I'm most looking forward to having.
pkinneb likes this.

Roll Tide.
post #74 of 314 Old 08-06-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Hey folks what kind of outlet boxes should I use on the face of the riser and the steps? Pretty sure I'm going with carpet there but don't want to be locked into that ether.

post #75 of 314 Old 08-06-2019, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 205
This is a great build! I'm really impressed with your work and I've grabbed a few ideas from you already. I will definitely be following this thread. I grew up about about 15 minutes east of Zimmerman, along the east shore of German Lake. The property was purchased a while back from my parents and turned into a whiskey distillery called Isanti Spirits. I live in South Minneapolis now. I'm in the middle of my basement theater build as well, although you are a bit further along.
pkinneb likes this.

Nokomis Theater build thread (was Blue Room Theater)
Denon AVR-X4300H, Vizio P65, TiVo Bolt, Apple TV 4K, PS4 Pro, Plex
Speakers: R/L: Focal Aria 936, C: GoldenEar SuperSat 60C, S: Def Tech ProMonitor 1000's, Sub: JL Audio E112
post #76 of 314 Old 08-06-2019, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpc-geek View Post
This is a great build! I'm really impressed with your work and I've grabbed a few ideas from you already. I will definitely be following this thread. I grew up about about 15 minutes east of Zimmerman, along the east shore of German Lake. The property was purchased a while back from my parents and turned into a whiskey distillery called Isanti Spirits. I live in South Minneapolis now. I'm in the middle of my basement theater build as well, although you are a bit further along.
Thanks I appreciate it! I couldn't have gotten this far without the forum so glad my stuff is paying it forward a bit.
htpc-geek and PreciseD like this.

post #77 of 314 Old 08-06-2019, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkinneb View Post
Hey folks what kind of outlet boxes should I use on the face of the riser and the steps? Pretty sure I'm going with carpet there but don't want to be locked into that ether.
An adjustable depth box would be ideal for carpet, and is what I used on my carpeted riser face. I left the boxes a little proud of the riser face for the install guys, and they carpeted right over the steel bracket and cut out around the boxes.

If you aren't certain about installing carpet that would hide the bracket, then maybe you could use an old work box, or still use an adjustable depth box but flip the bracket around to the back side (installing the bracket inside your riser structure instead of outside like I did above).

I am flipping the brackets around for some wall boxes - mostly so I won't have to use as much blocking to bring them out to 4" from the existing wall, where my fabric frame false walls will be. This could work out for your riser - make your cutouts for the boxes and screw the box brackets in from the backside.

*bonus notes - I haven't clipped the two steel "ears" off of those brackets above - you'd have to in order to use them as an old work box. Easy to score with some wire cutters and snap off. If you're mounting it to a flat surface (rather than the short side of 2x lumber) then there are a couple spikes that need to be flattened with a hammer. Easy to see when you have it in hand.
pkinneb likes this.

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
post #78 of 314 Old 08-06-2019, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect thanks @James92TSi !

BTW stealing your column design
James92TSi likes this.

Last edited by pkinneb; 08-06-2019 at 03:59 PM.
post #79 of 314 Old 08-09-2019, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

First thing I did since the last update was add a couple small shims (on the left in the pic) to the steps to get a more fair curve not a big deal but it was bugging me so a quick fix and now were good

Then I started in on the outlet boxes. I used the boxes suggested by @James92TSi but I mounted them from the back side. On the steps I had to use bolts with nuts on the backside due to the thickness of the material.

Then I had to reroute the HDMI conduit the original ended up in the middle of the return poor planning on my part. Any thoughts on capping off the one in the wall? Just stuff some insulation in there?

I also picked up some poplar to use for the door jamb and the soffit lip, both of which are up next.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P225.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	2601244   Click image for larger version

Name:	P220.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	2601246   Click image for larger version

Name:	P221.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	2601248   Click image for larger version

Name:	P224.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	2601250   Click image for larger version

Name:	P229.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	2601252  

Name:	P226.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2601254   Click image for larger version

Name:	P227.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	2601256   Click image for larger version

Name:	P228.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2601258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4797.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	2601260  

post #80 of 314 Old 08-10-2019, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Today I glued the first layer of 1/2" OSB to the door slab. I used Titebond around the outside edge and down the center and GG everywhere else.

Then I drew up a quick plan for the door jamb

Only to realize a little problem...the opening wasn't wide enough. I few minutes with a sawzall, prybar, and a skill saw and we were back in business. This was not on the hinge side so no issues there.

Then I milled up some poplar for the jam

After cutting some dado's for the top to fit into I gave it a test fit

More door work tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P232.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	2601606   Click image for larger version

Name:	P233.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	2601608   Click image for larger version

Name:	P234.JPG
Views:	262
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	2601610   Click image for larger version

Name:	P235.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	2601612   Click image for larger version

Name:	P236.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	2601614  

Tedd, tjambro, James92TSi and 3 others like this.

post #81 of 314 Old 08-11-2019, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well I decided I need to think through the door jamb a bit more before proceeding so I moved on to the soffit lip that will be a backer for the drywall as well as hold my LED light strips.

First up I hooked up a short test strip to insure they would work the way I wanted. I will be using an Insteon controllable outlet to turn the power supply on and then the app can be used if I want to change/ adjust color. Once set they will go on and off at the same setting.

With that figured out I mocked up a couple sample boards to give me the look I was after.

Then it was into full production mode

And finally I had to kerf the piece for the front so it would make the curve

Then I installed them

With that done I can start the final drywall/electrical installation

I do have one question for you guys. I was planning on mounting my power supply (ies)/ controller(s) in my front columns and planed on using speaker cloth for the fronts, are these green power lights going to shine through that cloth?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P237.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2601938   Click image for larger version

Name:	P238.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	2601940   Click image for larger version

Name:	P239.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	2601942   Click image for larger version

Name:	P240.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	2601944   Click image for larger version

Name:	P241.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	2601946  

Name:	P242.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	2601948   Click image for larger version

Name:	P243.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	2601950   Click image for larger version

Name:	P244.JPG
Views:	285
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	2601952   Click image for larger version

Name:	P245.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	2601954   Click image for larger version

Name:	P246.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	2601956  

Name:	P247.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	2601958   Click image for larger version

Name:	P248.JPG
Views:	259
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	2601960  
Tedd, bluer101 and htpc-geek like this.

post #82 of 314 Old 08-11-2019, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 771
All I can say is wow. I just came over to see the door issue and I’m blown away. Love the theater so far and your wood shop has me drooling, I only wish. My wood shop is my driveway with canopy shade. South Florida land is expensive and no basements. To do work I have to drag my equipment out of my garage, someday will have a small wood shop shed in backyard.
Lynkage and pkinneb like this.
post #83 of 314 Old 08-12-2019, 04:37 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Full Circle Cinema Build

If your worried about the green light you can always put some electrical tape over the light so it can’t be seen. Fantastic build and awesome wood shop!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pkinneb likes this.
post #84 of 314 Old 08-12-2019, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercracing View Post
If your worried about the green light you can always put some electrical tape over the light so it can’t be seen. Fantastic build and awesome wood shop!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Funny thing is I woke up in the middle of the night and went electrical tape LOL

post #85 of 314 Old 08-12-2019, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluer101 View Post
All I can say is wow. I just came over to see the door issue and I’m blown away. Love the theater so far and your wood shop has me drooling, I only wish. My wood shop is my driveway with canopy shade. South Florida land is expensive and no basements. To do work I have to drag my equipment out of my garage, someday will have a small wood shop shed in backyard.
Thanks bluer101!! Yours is definitely one of my inspiration theaters

Thanks for the kind words on my shop. I have been ww since I was a boy (56 now) this is my third and most likely final shop. You are so right on having a separate space, being able to leave it and come back and know everything is right where I left it is definitely a luxury I have grown to love. Having it climate controlled winter and summer is also very nice. I had to open the garage door to run the 12' poplar through the TS yesterday it got warm really quick LOL

post #86 of 314 Old 08-13-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Would you guys apply something to the bottom of HVAC boxes like acoustical sealant prior to hanging the drywall? Essentially bonding the drywall to the bottom of the boxes.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P253.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	2602358  
BIGmouthinDC and ddigler like this.

post #87 of 314 Old 08-13-2019, 10:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 451 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6014 Post(s)
Liked: 5594
yes, run a generous bead before lifting the drywall into position Acoustical caulk is good, any 50 year caulk is good. You can also run screws up through the drywall into the flange to pull everything nice and tight.
ddigler likes this.
post #88 of 314 Old 08-13-2019, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
yes, run a generous bead before lifting the drywall into position Acoustical caulk is good, any 50 year caulk is good. You can also run screws up through the drywall into the flange to pull everything nice and tight.
Perfect thanks Jeff!

post #89 of 314 Old 08-14-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hey all I have a question on my AV rack layout. I have never used a rack before and I am looking for input on what should go where, where the open slots go, etc.

I have a 27U Sanus rack I found on CL and there is an AC infinity vent fan pulling air out of the alcove from above. All the shelves that came with the unit are vented.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4836.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	2602878  

post #90 of 314 Old 08-14-2019, 01:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Is that a floorstanding 27U rack? On wheels, or solidly mounted to the theater structure?

Drawers and any equipment with controls you'll want to adjust, disc trays, etc. should go at a height that is convenient for use. On a 4-foot floorstanding rack, that will be near the top of rack. Nobody wants to bend down to push eject and load a disc...

Is that a rackmount UPS? (5-6U for 1500VA? Should be able to get that in a 2U package.) Typically the UPS(es) will be the heaviest thing in the rack, and will go all the way at the bottom for tipping resistance, especially if the rack is on wheels. Other heavier items should also go down low for the same reason (though it looks like most of your equipment should be relatively light). Having open space at the bottom is not recommended at all, as the rack will be top-heavy and prone to tipping.

Your AVR will need ventilation space above it - stacking a disc player on top of the AVR is no good at all.

I have a fan panel (middle atlantic) that draws air through the AVR and out the back of the rack, and 2U above / 1U below the AVR for airflow. If the top of your rack is vented, you might consider putting the AVR at the very top so that you don't have to waste valuable rack space on ventilation.

Rackmount gear is generally front intake, rear exhaust - this applies to your behringer amp.

Considering all of this, the UPS, power conditioner, and Behringer could probably go at the very bottom (especially if you don't have to touch the controls on the amp normally) - float the AVR, disc player, and drawer to the top for convenience. The shelf of misc sources (cable box etc) could go anywhere, assuming you don't have to operate controls on those devices.

Here is a diagram of my rack that might help spur some more questions - happy to help. The UPSes/battery packs and QNAP are the heaviest gear. Drawers, Oppo, and AVR are at comfortable access height. Xbox is a little high but it's hardly used. Amps are intentionally up high to deter accidental adjustment.

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page