• 2 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 6 Old 05-26-2019, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Window plugs?

I’m building a new theater room in my new home. It has one window the room. What’s the best place to get a window plug?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-26-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I am building mine out of 2x4’s and 1/4” plywood. You could also do 1x material but I have 2x scrap I can use for free. I’m going to paint the window side black and wrapping the room side in black velvet but you could finish it however you wanted.

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, NXG-NX BAS 500 (for now)

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #3 of 6 Old 05-26-2019, 10:33 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5497 Post(s)
Liked: 5081
My best practice is install a window blind in the closed position then add furring around the perimeter to hold a 3/4 sheet of plywood. Add insulation and framing. Drywall over the window. Depending on the style of window you may want to remove the inside lock and secure closed from the outside with stainless steel screws. That will give you permanent access to the window for repairs or to remove a critter that decides to die on the inside window sill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-26-2019, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 535
If the window is required for egress by code (say a spare bedroom), and it has to be there for final inspection, what is the recommended best practice to cover it after the fact... Perhaps in a removable way?

Would you just install without interior trim to begin with, maybe just dd+gg over the opening screwed to surrounding drywall? Not sure that is optimal.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2019, 08:47 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5497 Post(s)
Liked: 5081
If this is the basements emergency egress a removable plug should be used. And the plug should be easily removable by the youngest/oldest member of the family who would be in the room alone.
ratbuddy and pkinneb like this.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-26-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 535
I'm not sure about the OP situation, but I'm pretty sure the inspector is going to require a window in my room to remain functional (third floor bonus/attic space) because the equipment closet has to be accessed through the room and will probably force them to call the space a bedroom.

But this window will be behind screen/false wall and three stories up. I know that in dire straits a fire ladder or trampoline or whatever could theoretically be placed for that window but I'm still trying to decide if it makes any sense to have a functional removable plug.

Do you have a design for one you've used that doesn't compromise soundproofing too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page