• 1 Post By mushroommunk

post #1 of 15 Old 06-06-2019, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
DreamWorks Theatre

Hello Forum Party Goers.

Well, the theatre is started after many years. Thus the name of this theater, DreamWorks home theatre!

By way of introductions, Mark is my name, I live on the Central Coast, New South Wales, Australia. It's about 1 hours drive north of Sydney. It all started when I was given a motorized drop down projector screen from work. In a very small room I set up a projector and audio system and I was hooked. At that stage we lived in what is called a Pole Home, while it had great views, I did not really have anywhere to set up a reasonable size room for a home theatre, when an opportunity came about, we moved into an older house on the flat ground that could be renovated and received official approval from management (my wife) to include a home theatre.

The good news, it is two small bedrooms and a hallway. This makes a size of 8 x 4 meters.

The bad news, in order to acquire this space, I had to keep the two windows so some window plugs maybe on the cards.

So it begins...

THEATER GOALS
Build a space to watch movies on a big screen just like or better than the movie theatres
Create a level of sound isolation however maximizing space suitable for:
- Watching Movies
- Kids playing xbox / games.

Maximize build space without losing too much space
A space that feels visually great to be in without going over the top on budget.
Ability to upgrade system components and cabling when required.

EXPECTATIONS
Build a great looking room with sound isolation without going over the top.
Complete the build in 6 months

EQUIPMENT SELECTION
Screen: Size is TBA
Screen Type: Acoustically transparent
Aspect ratio: ? 16:9 or 2.35 - Not sure at this stage
Projector: JVC DLA-X500B
AV: Denon AVC-X6500H

SPEAKERS
Front Speakers: 2 x Front Speaker - E 875 (to updated later).
Subs: 2 x E 8SUR.2 (to upgrade later)
Side/Rear Speakers: would like to DIY would need a forum help
Ceiling Speakers: as above

SOUND
Sound Config: 7.1.4 with front speakers & subs behind the screen
Sound Setup: Dolby atmos

SOURCES
Sources: Fetch TV, Xbox One X, Foxtel, Nvidia Shield

EQUIPMENT
Equipment location: Built open shelving in a separate room but may do a small rack for rear accessibility.
Automation: CBus Lighting. Blinds tab
Remote: Harmony Ultimate One
Seats: tba

ROOM DETAILS
Spaced: 7 x 4 meters (22 x 13 foot)
Seating: Two rows. The second row can be turned to face the back wall with TV and gaming. Turn back when friends over
Room within a Room type but not the full specs as I want to maximize space.

SOUND ISOLATION
Building isolation framework inline with Mass, Air Space, Sealing and Decoupling approach without going full on.
Walls: Older house with 3 extensions added on over time with different wall thickness and wood type including hardwood, decided it would be easier to a room within a room.
Drywall:16 mm by 2 sheets (all 15 mm seems to be 16mm fyrchek and expensive)
Glue: Started with Quiteglue pro on outer skin however it seems to run
Windows: Removal wall plugs (ahhh - wife factor)

POWER LOCATIONS
Behind Screen front wall
Base shakers & seating
Columns
Back wall

LIGHTING
Maybe around columns LED
Sofits down lighting
Onto ceiling from sofits
TBA other locations

OTHER
Painted Star lighting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-01 at 10.03.59 PM.png
Views:	95
Size:	653.0 KB
ID:	2576588   Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	2576590   Click image for larger version

Name:	gutting.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	601.0 KB
ID:	2576596  
pkinneb and sirjaymz like this.

Last edited by koolego; 06-24-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-16-2019, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter

Removing the Gyprock & Installation

After knocking out the walls between the rooms to create a larger space, we have started stripping out the gyprock from walls and ceiling.

The gyprock is the old horsehair gyprock, heavy, we bent it 90 degrees and it still will not break the house was built back in the 1950's some time I believe.

The worst part was all the loose installation used in the roof, we counted 31 large bags.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gutting_simon.jpeg
Views:	135
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	2580666   Click image for larger version

Name:	bagsHomeTh.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	2580668  
pkinneb likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 06-16-2019, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Wow that looks like it was fun. Nice job

My Theater Build - Full Circle Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-21-2019, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

Room gutted - problems found.

After gutting the room, we have identified a few areas of interest we are going to have to work on.

Its like a little surprise package, you never know what you are going to find.

Problem one
Sound isolation: The gaps between the frame and outside weatherboard.

Problem Two
Sound isolation: The gap also between the theatre room and the level above. Will need to be blocked off with gyprock.

Problem three
Floor level from removing the internal walls for the two bedrooms and the hallway will need to use some floor leveling.

Problem four
Walls are not aligned. You can see the difference in wood from the early building standards with hardwood (the dark wood), guessing this was used in the mid 19th century. The brown wood is softwood towards the end of the 19th century and the green is what is in use today.

This will be a good reason to double stud wall internally.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	walls.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	2582994   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceilingGaps.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	2582996   Click image for larger version

Name:	liprooms.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	2582998   Click image for larger version

Name:	gaps2.JPG.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	2583000  
post #5 of 15 Old 06-22-2019, 05:32 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
From one Aussie to another.....go for the throat mate & don't hold back.

What's your time frame on the build? I started mine around Xmas thinking it would be a 6-week turnaround but I'm thinking now around when "Bathurst" starts. For those outside of Australia, BATHURST is a town 250k west of Sydney that host the best car-race in the world. Here's a snippet from last years race for those who love V8's. Turn on your theatre. Crank up AMP --->

This race is held annually on the 1st week of October....& its 163 laps. The race shown above are only the Golden Oldies. The SUPERCARS reach 300k or over 180 miles an hour around this track.

Talk soon, Mark.

Regards, Steve ;-)
post #6 of 15 Old 06-22-2019, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 528
There some seriously nice vintage iron in that video!

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #7 of 15 Old 06-24-2019, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddy111dog View Post
From one Aussie to another.....go for the throat mate & don't hold back.

What's your time frame on the build?
Hey Steve,

Go Bathurst, some amazing video, that would sound awesome in a good theatre, I have in fact done 5 laps with Craig Lowndes at Oran park (the track was not as good as Bathurst) in his V8 Supercar. It was hot, around 60 degrees (140 Fahrenheit) in the car with a fireproof suit on, I can say, it scared the tuck out of me, it was some time ago, I think we got up to around 260km (160 miles) per hour. I dont know how they drive for any more than 15 mins at a time.... amazing people.

Time frames, well, its the sound isolation that's killing me, extremely time-consuming. I would say within 5 months, I am learning along the way, have made a couple of mistakes, and had to redo some areas. (weekend work only)

Will have to post some more photos and work from the weekend.

Love to hear another Aussie, will have to jump onto your thread.

Thanks for saying hello Steve.... :-)

Mark
post #8 of 15 Old 06-28-2019, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Framing

We started to frame up the inner wall however we have done this a little different.

To maximize space we turned the studs and noggings flat, we could not do this around the doors clearly. This allowed us to get the space needed, removed the problem with uneven walls and provided some separation for sound. Stud Wall Sound Isolation Mounts used, I will need more for the top half of the wall.

The builder did not know or misheard we are planning to cut off the roof joists to disconnect them from the outer wall. With the top plate not strong enough to hold the joist, we are now moving to clips and hat channels for the roof.

Doh. In any event, the silver lining is we will get some extra hight.

You can also see we have started sealing up the gaps between floors with double layer gyprock and glue. Man, this is taking a lot of time to do by the time you frame it up, cut the gyprock to fit and then quite glue.

Glue, well I picked up some non-Green glue (name not provided) as it was cheaper and had the same specs as Green glue, it worked very well however, it runs if you use too much, a lot. And it's very hard to clean up regardless of what chemical you use . I have enough to treat the outer wall however will be switching to green glue.

A couple of learnings here, I guess I will have a few more by the time the job is done. That's to be expected for an office worker.

Double solid core doors 40mm (1.6 inch) hang.

Outer ceiling gyprock has also started, this section is the roof and not upstairs of the house, noggin blocks and sealant to seal up the gaps at the bottom, it's more to stop noise coming in, not from going out. Will need to frame up the ceiling joints when completed.

Its a lot of work, I know it does not look like it, but it is. I think while I am in the room myself working away, I could be hearing voices "If you build it, they will come" (Fields of Dreams)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	outterwall.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	447.1 KB
ID:	2585186  
post #9 of 15 Old 06-28-2019, 05:43 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5545 Post(s)
Liked: 5138
Actually it is "if you build it, you hope they don't come so you can enjoy it without interruptions, or sticky fingers touching everything"
koolego likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-16-2019, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Help with DIY Sound Group Speakers

Looking for help regarding speaker recommendations.

While I can research lots of information to educate myself on many great posts on this forum, speakers become a completely new world of wonder and imagination.

A number of theatres have used the DIY Sound Group speakers to provide some great results however I am finding it really hard on their site to identify what would work for my home theatre.

Understandably, this would be how big is your wallet, everyone is different and I don't want to recommend something you may not be happy with, however, I can make my own decision at the end of the day however I don't know where to start.

AV would be Denon AVR-X4500H or AVC-X6500H
Atmos 7.1.4

To provide any recommendations, I know you would need some information about my room, so I have attached my Sketchup, its around 24 MB.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2e4xth1vay...inchs.skp?dl=0

The red boxes are speaker locations. Sketch up is to scale. Even if I get no replies, maybe this will help other people thinking of using sketch up to create a home theatre.

It would be awesome to get some feedback, all feedback is good feedback however if you get too techie, you lose me.

Fire away...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Speakers.png
Views:	31
Size:	457.1 KB
ID:	2591276  
post #11 of 15 Old 07-16-2019, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi Mark.

I forked out a fortune for 10 PSB speakers & subs....& a pair of niles ceiling speakers. I'm telling you there's no substitute for quality.
My advice is don't skimp on the subbie if you can't afford to spend good money on the others up front....or you could do what I did & buy a couple of pairs at a time. It took me a couple of years to get what I've got now....& it was worth it.

Check this site out to get a feel on whats what ---> https://www.todds.com.au/collections/hidden-speakers

PS.....Your projecter is too far back. Around 4 1/2 to 5 metres from the screen bro.
koolego likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-16-2019, 07:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Our rooms appear to be similar in size. I'm running DIYSG HTM-12's and couldn't be happier with them. Best bang for the buck you'll find. Also built my own subs - 4 15's and 3 18's.
koolego likes this.

Denali Cinema
JVC-RS540, 124" Wide 2.40:1 DIY Screen, Denon 8500H, Denon 6200W, Panasonic UB820 UHD Player, (3) iNuke 6000DSP's; (3) HTM-12's; (14) RSL C34e surrounds; (2) 18" Dayton Audio RSS460HO-4 Subwoofers; (1) Dayton Audio UM18-22 18" Ultimax Subwoofer; (4) Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15" Reference HO Subwoofers
post #13 of 15 Old 07-16-2019, 08:31 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I've also got a similar sized room. I went HTM-10 mains and volt-6 surround. You really can't go wrong with the HTM's. I find I don't need the volt-10's or the htm-12s. The 10's get low enough and loud enough to cross over to my IB sub with 6 15's. I don't miss that extra 3dB sensitivity I don't think personally.
koolego likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazensol View Post
Also built my own subs - 4 15's and 3 18's.
Thanks, what are 4 15's ? is this 4 x 15 inch subs? are theses DIY that sits under the surround and rears?

How do I find out more?
post #15 of 15 Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolego View Post
Thanks, what are 4 15's ? is this 4 x 15 inch subs? are theses DIY that sits under the surround and rears?

How do I find out more?
Yes (4) 15" subs. Head over to the DIY Speakers and Subs area for tons of info on the DIY world.

Denali Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page