Projector ceiling mounting - can do it myself? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By MississippiMan
  • 1 Post By m0j0
  • 1 Post By m0j0

post #1 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector ceiling mounting - can I do it myself?

Hi guys,

I got the projector (Epson 5040UB), the universal mounting gear that I've ordered from Amazon ("QualGear Pro-AV QG-KIT-CA-3IN-B Single Joist Ceiling Adapter")
and the 120" fixed SilverTicket screen.

Now the only thing that I'm not sure about - is whether I should mount the projector by myself (with the help of the wife), or to order projector installation from a local service provider.

Can a person without any experience with projectors (my first one) can install and ceiling-mount the projector without issues?
The ceiling is plain (popcorn) concrete.

How difficult it should be? the risk of damaging something is too high and not worth it?
I can definitely handle tools and drills, but I wouldn't consider myself as a pro "handyman" or anything like that.

On the other hand,
I was able to find some local service provider that will mount the projector to the ceiling and attach the fixed screen for $200 (he told me that usually the price is higher, but since I can help with it - he will send only 1 person instead of 2 and the price will be $200)

I'm trying to save money as much as I can, as I already exceeded my HT budget and the WAF rate is not as it used to be before the project :X

Last edited by Matan Eldan; 06-06-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 10:58 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3398 Post(s)
Liked: 1599
Send a message via Skype™ to MississippiMan
Well...since a budget is an overriding concern here, you'll have to try to go ahead and use the QualGear Pro-AV universal mount. It is not ideally suited to a PJ as big and as heavy as the 5040, and the extendable Channels will be all the way out to their maximum length. You should take that part of the Mount and attempt to install it to the appropriate Holes (Foot Screws Holes) and so judge it's ability to work properly. They claim 70 lb capacity but that is WAY overstated. But if the feet can be attached, and the assembly tightened...and I mean "tightened", it should be usable.

So can you do it yourself? You should be able to as it would require just a modicum of skill and only a very few simple tools. A really important thing for you to understand is the the Installer Friendly features on the 5040 make it really easy to install it. And I'll say this...instead of spending $200.00, you could send that QualGear back, get the appropriate Peerless "PJ Dedicated" Mount and Peerless ACC570 Ceiling Plate, all for about $60.00 more, and with a wee bit of specific guidance, install it yourself. In truth....it would be "Cave Man Easy".

I'd like toi know more about what your installation involves....where the Power is and HDMI come out, also Screen size and Throw Distance....both of which enter into the installation equation. With a Concrete ceiling, the biggest challenge you face is drilling 4 Holes and using appropriate Anchors.

This Forum exists to help people such as yourself, so use.....it will serve you in good stead if you do.
Matan Eldan likes this.

"They said it couldn't be done. Well, we sure showed 'em otherwise!"
HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #3 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 11:28 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5494 Post(s)
Liked: 5080
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
With a Concrete ceiling, the biggest challenge you face is drilling 4 Holes and using appropriate Anchors.

That would keep me awake at night for a rookie. Can you do a back of the room shelf mount instead?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan View Post
Well...since a budget is an overriding concern here, you'll have to try to go ahead and use the QualGear Pro-AV universal mount. It is not ideally suited to a PJ as big and as heavy as the 5040, and the extendable Channels will be all the way out to their maximum length. You should take that part of the Mount and attempt to install it to the appropriate Holes (Foot Screws Holes) and so judge it's ability to work properly. They claim 70 lb capacity but that is WAY overstated. But if the feet can be attached, and the assembly tightened...and I mean "tightened", it should be usable.

So can you do it yourself? You should be able to as it would require just a modicum of skill and only a very few simple tools. A really important thing for you to understand is the the Installer Friendly features on the 5040 make it really easy to install it. And I'll say this...instead of spending $200.00, you could send that QualGear back, get the appropriate Peerless "PJ Dedicated" Mount and Peerless ACC570 Ceiling Plate, all for about $60.00 more, and with a wee bit of specific guidance, install it yourself. In truth....it would be "Cave Man Easy".

I'd like toi know more about what your installation involves....where the Power is and HDMI come out, also Screen size and Throw Distance....both of which enter into the installation equation. With a Concrete ceiling, the biggest challenge you face is drilling 4 Holes and using appropriate Anchors.

This Forum exists to help people such as yourself, so use.....it will serve you in good stead if you do.
Thank you for your reply!

The installation will be as follow:

1) Ceiling mount
2) My desktop PC is located right underneath the projector mount location, so the HDMI cable will drop down from the PJ to the PC.
3) Another HDMI cable will go down to the receiver.
4) ^^^ same for the power cable.
5) I will use some rails to hide the cables.
6) The room length is a little bit over 14 feet, width is 11 feet.
7) Screen size is 120" (SilverTicket fixed white 16:9 screen).

Can you tell which equipment will I need to get for this kind of installation based on the above information?
I will go to Home Depot to grab everything that I need for it (drill bits, plates and basically whatever you'll suggest )

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
That would keep me awake at night for a rookie. Can you do a back of the room shelf mount instead?
I don't see a reason why not. however that wall is not concrete.
It's too risky to have it mounted on a concrete ceiling?
post #5 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

This is the back of the room:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190606_151248.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	471.9 KB
ID:	2576810  
post #6 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Having mounted two projectors with my wife’s help I would pay for professional help.

Mounting PJs is a massive pain in the butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 12:47 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 409 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5494 Post(s)
Liked: 5080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matan Eldan View Post
Do you have experience and tools to deal with concrete anchors? If yes, full speed ahead.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
This is the back of the room:

Based on that picture, I would say you should consider wall mounting options. I wall mounted my last 3 projectors and it's very easy to do with basic tools.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1323 Post(s)
Liked: 1453
1. If you know how to install concrete anchors see step 2
2. If you are in good shape and can lift 20+ lbs over your head for a long period of time I say go to step 3
3. Definitely use your wife to help. I mounted my very large/heavy JVC projector with my wife's assitance. I am 47 but am in good shape. It wasn't easy but it was not that hard either. I did take the time to ensure everything was ready to go and I understood how all the mounting hardware worked so when I lifted the projector up I was not trying to "figure it out".

Your projector is a good 10lbs lighter than mine and smaller If you have a buddy or family member who is strong you may want that person to help if you have concerns.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 03:26 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Thank you for your reply!

The installation will be as follow:
@Matan Eldan ,

Several things come into consideration here.

Quote:
1) Ceiling mount

As mentioned below, how well and how easily the lower part of the Mount interfaces with the Upper part is critical in assessing how easy...or not it will be for you to do.

Quote:
2) My desktop PC is located right underneath the projector mount location, so the HDMI cable will drop down from the PJ to the PC.
3) Another HDMI cable will go down to the receiver.
4) ^^^ same for the power cable.
5) I will use some rails to hide the cables.

Well all that is easy peasy.....

Quote:
6) The room length is a little bit over 14 feet, width is 11 feet.

Well there's something......first off, the 5040 is just baerly under 18" deep...and you will need at least 4" absolute minimum from the rear wall...preferably 6". And your Drop should be at least 12"total from Ceiling to the Bottom of the PJ casing. The PJ itself is just over 7.5" so that only leave 4.5" clearance. That is so tight it actually comes close to being "too close" for adequate ventilation. The issue not being so much the Intake & exhaust (both up front) but that when the room is being heated, there will be a blanket of hotter air right up where it can do the least good.

Quote:
7) Screen size is 120" (SilverTicket fixed white 16:9 screen).

So....WOW......the last 2 points above taken into account, your Throw should be set at the bare minimum distance...the closest possible distance...12'-6'" Lens Face to Screen. Not any leeway is there for a variance...take my word on that! So absolutely...right now...we nneed to know EXACTLY how deep that rear wall is from the Front Wall so we can factor in both the PJ's depth, and the stand-off depth of the ST120"er

[quote]Can you tell which equipment will I need to get for this kind of installation based on the above information?
I will go to Home Depot to grab everything that I need for it (drill bits, plates and basically whatever you'll suggest )

Better let us do your Math first...if the Throw distance cannot be accommodated, you'll needto refuse the Screen shipment and get a 110"er (...works with a 11' - 6" throw)

Now imaging what would have happened when the Installer showed up, got "too far along" and came up against a too-small" image.

You timing was / is at least spot on so be glad.

Quote:
I don't see a reason why not. however that wall is not concrete.

I see at least two reasons....room depth and shelf construction. With a PJ that requires at least 4" behind it for that would call for a stout, 22" deep shelf above that desk.

@Matan Eldan ,

Several other things come into consideration here, some which are mentioned or commented on below. Try to follow as I address them individually.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Having mounted two projectors with my wife’s help I would pay for professional help.

Mounting PJs is a massive pain in the butt.

Heh, heh.....Brother, it's all in the PJ and the Mount chosen. The right combination and it can be very simple....and easy. Myself, I like easy,so that mandate covers virtually all I do and what i suggest. That doesn't always involve getting off the lightest possible "funds-wise" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post
1. If you know how to install concrete anchors see step 2
2. If you are in good shape and can lift 20+ lbs over your head for a long period of time I say go to step 3
3. Definitely use your wife to help. I mounted my very large/heavy JVC projector with my wife's assitance. I am 47 but am in good shape. It wasn't easy but it was not that hard either. I did take the time to ensure everything was ready to go and I understood how all the mounting hardware worked so when I lifted the projector up I was not trying to "figure it out".

Your projector is a good 10lbs lighter than mine and smaller If you have a buddy or family member who is strong you may want that person to help if you have concerns.

On 1-2 & 3.....
There are specific Concrete "Stud" Anchors that will give @Matan Eldan a Threaded Rod Hole to accept the right sized Hex or Phillips Head Bolt. (...there is even Anchor Adhesive if the drilled Holes are a bit oversized...) How difficult and how much "Overhead" time is involved mounting the PJ is largely up to how the Upper part of the Ceiling Mount accepts the Lower part attached to the PJ. With either a Chief or Peerless Mount (Plate) it might take all of 15-20 seconds.....if one isn't trying to hoist what amounts to being a 25 lb suitcase up to a Mount that is coming off a 9' Ceiling by standing on a 6' Ladder. Otherwise, even those Mounts can be challenging.

I regularly installed many x790's and x990's using primarily Chief RPA281's (34 lbs) and recently a NX5 and NX7 (48 lbs ! ) ...myself, usually on a 8' Ladder, and it was taking those last buggers up the Ladder holding them with one hand on the PJ Mounting Plate that was most difficult. Never mind that I'm 65 with a bummed Left Shoulder....it's just being used to knowing what & how to do it, combined with using the right gear that makes it happen without using my Medicare. Now to me the Epsons' are lightweights....but as I said...using the right Mount & Ladder can make a BIG difference.

So now we gotta separate the Wheat from the Chaff........fairly quickly at that it seems.
Matan Eldan likes this.

HAS Advanced Audio and Imaging Solutions...Audio Transducers & Projection Screen Coatings
post #11 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1691 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Peerless. Pain in the ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 10:32 PM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Peerless. Pain in the ass.

If the "Shoe" don't fit....it's no Cinderella.

post #13 of 16 Old 06-07-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

I'm a bit overwhelmed at this point to be honest

I guess that we will first make sure that the numbers are fine before we proceed to the installation discussion:
I've measured the exact length of the room, and it's 14' and 1/2".

According to the projector throw distance calculator, with full zoom, the throw distance for 120" diagonal is 11' - 10"

So if I'm not wrong, I do have enough room for ventilation, no? (unless I'm missing some other factors)
post #14 of 16 Old 06-07-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I guess that we will first make sure that the numbers are fine before we proceed to the installation discussion:

According to the projector throw distance calculator, with full zoom, the throw distance for 120" diagonal is 11' - 10"

So if I'm not wrong, I do have enough room for ventilation, no? (unless I'm missing some other factors)

Sounds like you have the room to accommodate your desired screen size. Even so, I always like to mount the projector first, then throw the image on the wall and measure first before finalizing the screen size.
Matan Eldan likes this.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-07-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Not saying you should do this, but I needed to have my projector all the way back against the wall to be able to throw a 110" image and was looking for a mount that would allow me to support my 30+ lb projector and have it against the back wall (the ventilation for my projector is all in the front, so no clearance needed for the back). I had the crazy idea to use a mount I found on Amazon designed for wall mounting microwaves. It ended up working out for me, though I did find that the front arms have a slight incline, so I had to place some rubber feet on the back side of the arms to get things level. You may try to use something like a floating shelf to see if that will meet your needs, as once you get the shelf mounted you can just place the projector on it and you're done. Also, in my case, a floating shelf would have gotten me about a 1/2 inch closer to the wall, but I had a hard time finding one that was deep enough for my needs and my experience with floating shelves is that they sometimes sag a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail4.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	2577102   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail3.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	2577104   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail2.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	2577106   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	2577108  
BIGmouthinDC likes this.

Last edited by m0j0; 06-07-2019 at 09:03 AM.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-07-2019, 10:29 AM
DIY Granddad (w/help)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
And he cannot unless he uses the exact model PJ you are using. The SONY has a underneath recessed Power cord inlet, and the HDMI feed to the opposite side. That allows you to smoosh the PJ upagainst the wall.

That is not the case in the OP's instance...he deeds a bare minimum of 4" depth, and combined with 1/2 the depth of the Projector (to the center of the Mount) which is 9", that means the center of the Ceiling mount must be 13" out from the Wall. Add to that another 9" and the front face of the Lens will be at 22" . Subtract 22" from 14' -1/2" and you get 12' - 2-1/2"

But wait...the Screen surface itself will eat into the available Throw another 1" minimum....so now the remaining Throw distance becomes 12' - 1.5"

Minimum Throw for 120" diagonal is 11' - 10" so there is just 3.5" leeway in both the available Throw & Zoom.
Now that's a Mile for anyone who knows what to do and how to do it, and in truth, no one should crowd the absolute minimum available throw distance. That means the PJ REALLY needs to be set back so the Lens is at 12' from the Screen surface.

Quote:

@Matan Eldan , I advise you to not even consider second guessing my Math on this. You have no fudge factor to speak of built in.

Well actually I did build in an extra 1.5" But don't use it...it's based on Projector Calculator figures, and they can be notoriously off....so hold onto all the fudge ya got.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page