• 1 Post By BIGmouthinDC

post #1 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 74
False Wall construction

So I am in the process of building a new house. I will have a dedicated media room that will be 13'8"w x 17'l x9' h. I just purchased 3 JBL 590s for the front LCR. They are fairly large os now deciding to go with a false wall and AT screen.

In my old theater I had a false wall and AT screen and the wall was just some 2x4s with a black fabric front around the screen.

This time I wanted shiplap covering the false front with a big cutout for the screen that the speakers will sit behind. Will have basically a 3/4 think would "false wall" create any sound issues I would need to be concerned about? This room, unlike my last, is on the main floor and I am taking aesthetics more into consideration. I don't really want a wall of black fabric.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 06:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5533 Post(s)
Liked: 5126
you are creating a big box with a screen sized hole, the box can resonate you need to line with sound absorbing material
post #3 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Does it help if its a really big screen I was afraid of that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 07:05 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5533 Post(s)
Liked: 5126
If you had a totally acoustically transparent wall with a screen the best practice is to treat the area behind the wall so it is a relatively small additional commitment to treat the back side of Joanna's ship-lap, but important.
marjen likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-06-2019, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 54
My guess would be to put Linacoustic or Pink Fluffy on all hard surfaces behind the screen. You might lose some performance using ship lap, but I bet it does wonders for the WAF. I'll just have to make sure my wife doesn't see this thread!

7.1.4 Theater Room (In Progress): JVC-RS46U, Silver Ticket AT 2.35:1 142”, Onkyo RZ830, Anthem PVA-7, Panasonic DBT-110, JBL Studio 270’s, 4 - 15" DIY Sealed Subs

3.1 Living Room: Samsung 64” F8500 Plasma, Anthem MRX 300, Dynaudio Audience 52’s, Dynaudio Audience 122C, NHT SubOne
post #6 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks i will plan on adding sound treatment in that space. Wall is 13’8” x 9’. I am planning on a 150” 239:1 screen and the speakers will be as close to front as possible. Plan on making the space 2’ deep.

If the room was in the basement I would just use GOM like my old theater, but this room is right on the first floor and want it to tie in with the rest of the house. It’s going to be more of a media room not trying to go for theater look this time around so I dont think a big GOM wall would fit in. Going to have to make a few compromises but hoping I can still end up with a great sounding room.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjen View Post
Thanks i will plan on adding sound treatment in that space. Wall is 13’8” x 9’. I am planning on a 150” 239:1 screen and the speakers will be as close to front as possible. Plan on making the space 2’ deep.

If the room was in the basement I would just use GOM like my old theater, but this room is right on the first floor and want it to tie in with the rest of the house. It’s going to be more of a media room not trying to go for theater look this time around so I dont think a big GOM wall would fit in. Going to have to make a few compromises but hoping I can still end up with a great sounding room.

For acoustic panels, they make "art" versions so they don't look like acoustic panels. With a lot of hard reflective surfaces, you will need some panels to tame that, but perhaps you can make them blend in.

https://www.acoustimac.com/acousticart/
post #8 of 8 Old 06-07-2019, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
For acoustic panels, they make "art" versions so they don't look like acoustic panels. With a lot of hard reflective surfaces, you will need some panels to tame that, but perhaps you can make them blend in.
I will look into that, thanks. The biggest challenge is going to be the 8 ft wide window I have to deal with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page