Hush Box with USB Powered AC Infinity Fans - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-15-2019, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hush Box with USB Powered AC Infinity Fans

I have a new incoming Epson 5040ub. I'm thinking I will want to create a hush box for it. I was thinking to simplify the power design that I'd use two (2) AC Infinity USB Fans. One fan to suck are out of box and one fan to blow are into box.

Fan types: https://www.acinfinity.com/component...an-dual-120mm/

My big question is can I use the USB port on the projector to power the fans? Or should i just use the same power circuit powering the projector and use the standard 120V AC Infinity fans?

Build Thread:https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...m-wet-bar.html
Theatre Room: Samsung UN55KU7000F | Pioneer SP-FS52 x 2 | Polk MC80 x 2
Epson 5040UB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 05:12 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5550 Post(s)
Liked: 5142
One vote to use the 120v. Less prone to the limitations/capabilities of the Epson and any future projector upgrades. I like simple.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 06-16-2019 at 05:17 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
One vote to use the 120v. Less prone to the limitations/capabilities of the Epson and any future projector upgrades. I like simple.
Thanks. I was leaning that way myself. Is there a good link to some rules of thumb on dimensions and how much volume of space you want so it doesn't overhead despite the fans?

Epson 5040UB | 120" Elunevision 4K Reference Tab 2.35:1 | Philharmonic Audio Affordable Accuracy Center Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-16-2019, 11:10 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I took quick look at the manual for that projector, the intake is front right (when facing the lens) and the exhaust front left, You would want a clear path of 6+ inches from those vents to where you position the fans. That means leaving 6 inches in front of the unit and a similar margin on the path to the fans, either on the sides or the top of the box.

Then you have to decide if you want to future proof this box or are you prepared to build another one when you upgrade. For example the JVCs exhaust out the front and take air in the back.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
I took quick look at the manual for that projector, the intake is front right (when facing the lens) and the exhaust front left, You would want a clear path of 6+ inches from those vents to where you position the fans. That means leaving 6 inches in front of the unit and a similar margin on the path to the fans, either on the sides or the top of the box.

Then you have to decide if you want to future proof this box or are you prepared to build another one when you upgrade. For example the JVCs exhaust out the front and take air in the back.
Question, how do I know how big to make the glass at the front, is there a standard angle for the projected image at the front I need to worry about?

This is the beginning of the hush box. This is a plan detail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-24 at 9.50.12 PM.png
Views:	25
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2584178

post #6 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanttom View Post
Question, how do I know how big to make the glass at the front, is there a standard angle for the projected image at the front I need to worry about?

Attachment 2584178
Just hold a piece of plain glass in front of the projector at the planned distance between the projector and the glass and measure the size of the projected image on the glass. You will want to have the zoom roughly the same as it will be when projecting an image that fills your screen.

With regards to your hush box, I would strongly encourage you to incorporate some form of divider that completely isolates the incoming fresh air from the hot exhaust air. You want to eliminate any chance of a thermal short circuit whereby the hot exhaust is recirculated into the intake, which will quickly overheat your projector. My projector has back to front air flow, so I was able to divide the front and back airspace with a large piece of 2" foam rubber contoured to fit completely around my projector. In your case, you might consider cardboard or 1/2" rigid foam boards trimmed to fit closely the contours of your projector. You could always wrap the foam divider in a heat tolerant fabric so it looks better and doesn't scratch the surface of your projector over time.

Mike
post #7 of 9 Old 06-24-2019, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanttom View Post

Attachment 2584178
My hushbox was designed by Quest AI and the glass is specified as 8" tall x 10" wide x 3 mm thick. Ordered from Edmonds Optics (anti-reflective).

For airflow, you could consider eliminating the inlet fan and install a slotted cutout in the bottom of the box. Then, mount the exhaust fan near the highest point in the box.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 05:39 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

the expansion rate of an image is linear. So if you assume the image leaves the lens at no more than 2 inches wide and expands to fill a 10 ft wide screen, Calculate the lens to glass and lens to screen ratio. The rest is math.

Last edited by BIGmouthinDC; 06-25-2019 at 09:29 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

I was also thinking of that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page