After about 10 years or so, I have finally worn down the wife and she has agreed to let me put in my theatre I've been whining about all this time! I'm both excited and terrified about going forward from here as I have little knowledge as to what to do now.
I bought the Sony VPL-VW695ES projector so far. Now I need to figure out the rest. I have attached (I hope) the floor plan ideas of the space I have to work with.
Unfortunately, my room is not ideal by any means, but I'm working with what I have.
If you look at the floor plan, you can see a red outlined area. This area has an 8' ceiling. The area where I have the false wall drawn with the screen on it is right under an air conditioning duct, which makes the ceiling height here 7' exactly. The rest of the area outside the red line is also 7' tall, but is just there for design purposes and I guess could be removed if absolutely needed (although I'd rather avoid that cost if possible).
The bottom right corner is at an angle because there is a hallway behind there and I can't do anything about it, so the bottom left corner was put in as an angle wall as well to make the room more uniform. In the top right of the theatre room, you will see a support pole. It is outside where the walls are, which is why I was thinking of building this false wall to hide that, and to perhaps put in-wall speakers. This wall is not built yet, but the rest of the walls are.
- This room has full light control, but would probably keep the wall lights on a bit when the wife is with me. They are shown on the picture as the circles with an x through them (there are 4).
- I want to do a CIH setup.
- The plan is to do a 7.2.4 setup. The sides and rear surrounds are going to be in/on-wall speakers (yet to be purchased, but probably Monitor speakers as I can get a bit of a deal on all of them).
- The front speakers are either going to be floor standing Monitor Silver 500 speakers (https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/prod...er/silver-500/
), or will go full in wall speakers with Monitor CP-IW460X speakers (https://www.monitoraudio.com//en/pro...nce/cp-iw460x/
) for the fronts .
The theatre will be used for movies, tv watching, and gaming (in that order of priority).
The room is 18' long and 15.5' wide.
I have 4 possible versions: full screen wall built, partial screen wall for LF and RF speakers only, or just put curtains or something behind the speakers to hide the ceiling pole, or flipping the room around and building a screen wall on the bottom wall instead (I could take out the drop ceiling everywhere but where the seats would be to give an 8' celing instead with that design).
Here are the questions I have at the moment. I've been searching around several other threads, other sites, and everywhere else I can think of, but I still would like some help here.
1. How much image quality is lost by using an AT screen? If I go with this screen wall idea, I would perhaps put in an AT screen to make the look clean. However, I'm terrified to make the wrong choice as I would hate to see a poor image because I went with an AT screen.
2. Since the ceiling is only 7' tall where the screen (might) go, would it be better for me to put in a 16:9 screen or a 2.4:1 screen? I want a CIH setup, but want to maximize as much as I can (and as much as my projector can do without distortion). If the budget allows, perhaps I could put in a Stewart VistaScope screen to auto-mask, but I am guessing that would be well over the budget.
3. How close to the ceiling can I put the screen? Can I put a framed screen right up against the ceiling (so the frame touches, and the viewable area is the frame thickness away from the ceiling)? I was thinking of using velvet on the ceiling (if it's possible to do it without any wrinkles or looking like crap) and perhaps the entire screen wall to minimize the amount of light reflecting off the ceiling since it's so close.
4. Since the wall isn't built yet, I could instead put the screen on the top wall of this room, and then build out some sort of partial wall sections to hold the LF and RF speakers (and to hide the support pole). You can see this in the "floor plan with partial walls" jpg attachment.
5. I could instead forget any walls, and instead buy some curtains to go left and right of the screen in order to hide the support pole.
6. If instead I flipped the room around, the seating would be on the top wall, and I would then build a screen wall on the bottom wall side, and could take out the drop ceiling here to give an 8' ceiling). This would be my last choice, but will do it if it's much better.
7. What colour screen should I go with for my projector?
8. What screen gain would give the best image quality for my 695ES projector?
I've all but ruled out an ambient light reduction screen because of the viewing angle restrictions as the kids prefer to be on the floor in beanbag chairs, and people will be viewing from the entire width of the room. I don't want a dull image if I'm not in the sweet spot. If I'm wrong here, please let me know.
I'm looking forward to hearing some advice about your recommendations, and to help me with the room design choices I have.